DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Robert Jordan V Brandon Sanderson

powelly2012

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dudes, RJ was in Vietnam. He saw actual combat.

He'd totally kick ass.

Soft or not, I'd hesitate to bet on a older man in a fight. Especially a knife fight, even against a vet. Age does a lot. This isn't all inclusive, as some older men kick arse.

My Great Uncle was in Nam, older guy, lost half his leg, however I learned real quick that although he was in his late 60's when I was 9 or so, to not come within 5feet of him and get smart. That man could whip his cane around and pull me to the ground in under 2 seconds.

He'd totally kick ass.

Soft or not, I'd hesitate to bet on a older man in a fight. Especially a knife fight, even against a vet. Age does a lot. This isn't all inclusive, as some older men kick arse.

My Great Uncle was in Nam, older guy, lost half his leg, however I learned real quick that although he was in his late 60's when I was 9 or so, to not come within 5feet of him and get smart. That man could whip his cane around and pull me to the ground in under 2 seconds.

Waitwaitwait, are there canes involved? When was that approved?

Hi everyone

(On topic) I am not very happy with BS for his use of modern words like command centre, operating, etc.

Also he has managed to completely destroy Mat's character. I mean he really has no idea how to keep Mat witty, and funny! Ends up with pathetic lines...

Does anybody else also finds this so?

Hi everyone

(On topic) I am not very happy with BS for his use of modern words like command centre, operating, etc.

Also he has managed to completely destroy Mat's character. I mean he really has no idea how to keep Mat witty, and funny! Ends up with pathetic lines...

Does anybody else also finds this so?

Those are two of the most common criticisms offered--althought, mind you, some people love new-Mat and the witty word development.

He'd totally kick ass.

Waitwaitwait, are there canes involved? When was that approved?

It was approved when he swung it at me!

7 was the last book before the splits began to occur. It drags at the beginning, but has the events of the ending to hold it. 8 and 10 respectively are just the beginnings of 9 and 11 respectively, and just drag (for all that, in re-reads I think there is a lot of really solid leg work in them that both pays off and heightens the climaxes in 9 and 11).

Brandon has managed his splits better than Jordan--except in Timeline issues. The timelines between his books are all over the place.

I personally (although frustrated by the lag between books) didn't find those books slow or boring. I just wanted to know what happened with this or that and couldn't wait for the next book to be released.

I think that because you don't have to wait, those particular books won't drag for you because they directly tie in to the following ones, as Luckers said, and open up so many possibilities. Not to mention the character/world building that goes on in them. Particularly Nynaeve, it was those books that really made me love her.

My belief, from what I've read on the boards, is that because so many plot lines were opened in them and never answered (before RJ died and BS took the helm) the general consensus was frustration even though I knew somehow the answers would come eventually, that they didn't bother me as much as what has been argued here in the past. Don't go looking because it's a free for all and will most certainly spoil things for you. It is understandable in my view for some plots to be left out due to time/word-count restraints etc. and if you had never visited DM or TL or whatever other sites are out there, that it would just build on the suspense aspect. I didn't even know about DM until I heard that RJ had died and googled to find if others were as disappointed as me at the prospect of never knowing the end of the story.

Those were the dark days and how we rejoiced upon learning that the series would be completed.

Yes RJ and BS have different writing styles, but at this stage of the game, I really don't care about that as long as the series is given the justice it deserves and that I finally get to know the ending. Don't worry about the differences and the critiques offered here. IMO, read the books first and then get back to reviews etc., it is better to have an unjaded viewpoint than to take others' prejudices with you before you find out for yourself.

Why do you think Mat change's come from BS ?

Also I don't like the RjVsBs title , none that any of you should care , but I don't think Bs pretend to do a better job then Rj he is like us a fan first no?

And as to your question Rafo !!! I say

Well, Sanderson is younger and obviously more spry when he came into writing the series, but Jordan, even though older when he started, is a military vet and gives off a sullen, somewhat Joe Frasier-esque vibe. Also, isnt Sanderson a Mormon? Mormons are notoriously nice and unlikely to fight.

I will go with Jordan in a 3rd rd. KO(left hook).

(on topic) Sanderson made things fresh and brought much needed life back into the series, over-all things are just faster paced. Which by after 11 books i personally found was very refreshing to finally see less constant small detail and more Rand/Perrin/Mat kicking ass like they should be and finally seeing the series coming together, to sum it up: Sanderson did what needed to be done.

(on topic) Sanderson made things fresh and brought much needed life back into the series, over-all things are just faster paced. Which by after 11 books i personally found was very refreshing to finally see less constant small detail and more Rand/Perrin/Mat kicking ass like they should be and finally seeing the series coming together, to sum it up: Sanderson did what needed to be done.

But here is the thing, Sanderson didn't do that...the story arc and Jordan's outline did. All of the set up books were done. KoD had plenty of life and more than enough of the main characters kicking ass. It showed RJ knew exactly where he was going and was poised to wrap things up. It's not as if it wouldn't have come together if he were still the author.

The biggest difference between KoD and the BS books is diction and a few Mat sections. Were we to compare it to the older books there would be a lot more differences in terms of description vs pacing

I can cite a number of other differences in the quality of prose, characterization and subtle plot work. Regardless it speaks to my point. CoT is what it is. The first half of a book and a set up. Having a different author write it wouldn't solve that but it would take away from the immersion level and legwork.

But here is the thing, Sanderson didn't do that...the story arc and Jordan's outline did. All of the set up books were done. KoD had plenty of life and more than enough of the main characters kicking ass. It showed RJ knew exactly where he was going and was poised to wrap things up. It's not as if it wouldn't have come together if he were still the author.

Just out of interest, is there anything positive you think Sanderson brought to the WoT? Besides stepping in to finish it.

Just out of interest, is there anything positive you think Sanderson brought to the WoT? Besides stepping in to finish it.

I am grateful to him for stepping in and wrapping things up. As mentioned before if you go back to around the time of the TGS launch there was a fair amount of praise and positives going around and I was very much a part of that. The criticism has evolved over the years as people have taken their time going back through rereads which serves to highlight the problems. Having said that he does do some things well. Dark Rand was great, there are some good action scenes etc. Once again the problem isn't that he doesn't bring anyting to the table. More so it's that he seems to have stalled as an author and that combined with the brutal pace in putting out the first two books has made the WoT suffer. The bar has been raised in fantasy with authors such as Bakker, Rothfuss, Abercrombie etc and I'm not sure BS has kept pace given the initial promise he showed with the first Mistborn book.

The biggest difference between KoD and the BS books is diction and a few Mat sections. Were we to compare it to the older books there would be a lot more differences in terms of description vs pacing

I can cite a number of other differences in the quality of prose, characterization and subtle plot work. Regardless it speaks to my point. CoT is what it is. The first half of a book and a set up. Having a different author write it wouldn't solve that but it would take away from the immersion level and legwork.

Hence my use of the word "biggest." The pacing is similar. The ratio of action/plot progression to idle description of bossoms and fields is also similar. Just so you know, you did a masterful job ignoring one of the simplest words in my entire post to give yourself a reason to be contrary

Hence my use of the word "biggest." The pacing is similar. The ratio of action/plot progression to idle description of bossoms and fields is also similar. Just so you know, you did a masterful job ignoring one of the simplest words in my entire post to give yourself a reason to be contrary

Mate I'm at work. I read things quickly and respond the same. Not sure why you seem so intent on focusing on percieved meaning to responses but I was just writing off the top of my head. If I missed someting than I missed it. There are no deeper motivations so please stop ascribing them to me.

I don't know. While the Wheel of Time handles its plot well, and especially all the stuff AROUND the plot, the same amount of plot could easily have fit into less books. Another author, while not adding quite as much additional weaving to the setup, could have finished more quickly. Would it have been as good? Possibly. Would it have been good for the same reasons? Probably not.

But then, brevity is the soul of wit, it's just that RJ managed wit despite a lack of brevity.

The timeline may be all over the place, to be sure, but that gave us TGS as the Dark Rand story, which made it, IMO, better.

Archived