DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I just noobed it up big time

First time reading through the series and I'm reading at a breakneck pace for myself (started the series in February and just started A Path of Daggers) so, understandably, I'm anticipating missing some more nuanced pieces of information or forgetting some minor characters but, in A Crown of Swords, I realized I had been operating under a hilariously incorrect and huge assumption:

The Seachan and Atha'an Miere are the same people.

I dunno if it was the Aiel talk about clans and septs or the multiple factions throughout the novels but I assumed that the Seachan were just some sort of militaristic faction of the Atha'an Miere looking to conquer. I don't really remember what chapter in aCoS it was but I do remember physically smacking myself in the face when I realized my error.

So, don't worry RJ, I got it. Took me seven books, but I understand now.

Seanchan is located on a continent west across the Aryth Ocean. The Atha'an Miere (Sea Folk) are a seafaring people who live on ships and the islands in the Aryth Ocean and Sea of Storms. [both sentences taken from Wikipaedia]. Although there is likely information elsewhere to clarify, I'd (mostly) assumed that the Sea Folk had their roots in a wide variety of places (including the Seanchan), following the Breaking, and had developed their own culture becoming a distinct race over time.

I would advice for everyone reading ´The world of Robert Jordan´s Wheel of Time´, it gives great information (some not mentioned in the books) about races/towns/cities/cultures etc. Also cool maps of Seanchan, the Island of mad men and shara etc.

It's kind of geeky, but I found a copy of the Hardback of 'The world of Robert Jordan´s Wheel of Time' and jumped on it; then got bought a large paperback, which I've kept; then thought that the smaller (pictureless) paperback would be quite handy and portable... I don't think there is any other book that I have three times over and couldn't stand to part with any!

First time reading through the series and I'm reading at a breakneck pace for myself (started the series in February and just started A Path of Daggers) so, understandably, I'm anticipating missing some more nuanced pieces of information or forgetting some minor characters but, in A Crown of Swords, I realized I had been operating under a hilariously incorrect and huge assumption:

I dunno if it was the Aiel talk about clans and septs or the multiple factions throughout the novels but I assumed that the Seachan were just some sort of militaristic faction of the Atha'an Miere looking to conquer. I don't really remember what chapter in aCoS it was but I do remember physically smacking myself in the face when I realized my error.

You really should stay away from here until you're done. Or else we might spoil that scene where Rand just wakes up, realizes it was all a bad dream and asks Egwene to marry him... ;)

I am doing my first reread in...4 years? 5 years? It's been since before TGS came out, I know that, and I think it was closer to when KOD came out (i.e. before RJ died). Anyway, even I have picked up a few tidbits this time around, and I practically have the books memorized.

Edited by Terez

Actually, the Seanchean and Athan Miere are different I believe. I think that the Athan Miere are the seafolk.

*facepalm*

Dude. He opened the thread to say he just figured that out.

You really should stay away from here until you're done. Or else we might spoil that scene where Rand just wakes up, realizes it was all a bad dream and asks Egwene to marry him... ;)

Wait til he gets to the bit where Cenn Buie channels the True Power again.

Actually, the Seanchean and Athan Miere are different I believe. I think that the Athan Miere are the seafolk.

*facepalm*

Dude. He opened the thread to say he just figured that out.

Wait til he gets to the bit where Cenn Buie channels the True Power again.

Oh, whoops. i thought that that was what he thought was real now. my bad.