DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Official AMOL Cover Art (Spoilers)

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or it might be shielded like Rhuidean was. Unknown is unknown.

Remember not all the foreshadowing resulted in gems (Mat's "death" for example, bleh). I don't think RJ would lightly alter the planet's orbit, that has a lot of carry-on (planets move fast, changing that results in a lot of pancaking). But light held before the infinite maw could be mangled into some kind of eclipse metaphor :)

We lost saw Avi just after VoG give or take, and Elayne and Rand are at Merrilor. We don't see the tip of the sword to see if it's similarly capped, but whatever's on his hip doesn't look too spiky (Perrin's description is what it looks like in TaR, it disappears from the normal world when activated). Don't think it's known exactly how long Mat et al were in Finnland, but coming out on the day of Merrilor wouldn't be too bad either.

From Terez' data base:

http://www.theorylan...ntvsresults.php

INTERVIEW: Apr 17th, 2011

Driving Mr. Sanderson - Terez (Verbatim)

TEREZ

Can Shayol Ghul be reached in Tel'aran'rhiod?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I'm actually going to RAFO that. And that's actually not one I'm RAFO'ing...I'm RAFO'ing that for very good reasons. Not just out-of-hand RAFO'ing.

TEREZ

Gotcha.

FOOTNOTE

RJ said that the Blight cannot be reached in Tel'aran'rhiod because it's not a part of the 'normal' universe, but he never commented specifically on Shayol Ghul.

(emphasis mine)

It's probably a given, but since it comes up a lot I figured I'd ask Brandon about it. I don't see how Shayol Ghul could be any less part of a separate universe than the Blight, though.

Possibly because SG appeared first with the drilling of the Bore, and the Blight is a secondary effect of some kind. Note that we've seen Blighted patches a long way south of the Borderlands. Give me a mo and I'll dig out the reference.ETA: Got it. It's ToM4. I'll have a quick read.They're near the Jehannah road.

I have difficulty believing this is after his resurrection, due to the blood stains on his shirt. It looks like the old wounds have ripped open. If Rand had been resurrected already wouldn't those be healed?(everyone seems to be arguing that his hand is hidden because he's been resurrected and it's back. Well, wouldn't the same logic apply to his never healing wounds too)

I took a better look at the dagger on his side, and there is definitely a wire around the upside of it, and while the color is not very easy to see, it looks gold to me. Also, just before the tip is a part a little bit broader. That would be strange on a knife, and would have been noted in the discription. Also, it would not make sense to sheat a knife almost to dull to cut butter, while its use would be different. This makes it very unlikely to me that its the dull dagger. I do think that its te dreamspike, dispite my earlier nktion of potential problems - there may be ways to offset some of those, or Rand does not know some, and its anyway still better than nothing. Knowledge about the dreamspike's key won't be widespread.

I still think 3 weapons and one hand is overkill. A sa'angrael, ter'angreal and a symbol in Justice seem ok though.

I think there's more to Justice than meets the eye. Could be a *angreal as well. It's just not logical that the Dragon Reborn would carry the sword of Hawkwing as it's useless for someone with one hand (even if he has been restored already). That sword does something special.

I took a better look at the dagger on his side, and there is definitely a wire around the upside of it, and while the color is not very easy to see, it looks gold to me. Also, just before the tip is a part a little bit broader. That would be strange on a knife, and would have been noted in the discription. Also, it would not make sense to sheat a knife almost to dull to cut butter, while its use would be different. This makes it very unlikely to me that its the dull dagger. I do think that its te dreamspike, dispite my earlier nktion of potential problems - there may be ways to offset some of those, or Rand does not know some, and its anyway still better than nothing. Knowledge about the dreamspike's key won't be widespread.

The dagger is slightly longer than the palm of a hand, but wide in proportion. It is seemingly made of iron, but appears to also have never been sharpened, with an edge that would not cut much more than butter. The hilt is made of deerhorn and wrapped in gold wire.

Quote is from wot.wikia.com.

A wire, gold? Seems you just described the dagger!

And you should sheath it! Not sheathing it would say it's something special, why else would you carry a dull dagger?

I still think 3 weapons and one hand is overkill. A sa'angrael, ter'angreal and a symbol in Justice seem ok though.

I think there's more to Justice than meets the eye. Could be a *angreal as well. It's just not logical that the Dragon Reborn would carry the sword of Hawkwing as it's useless for someone with one hand (even if he has been restored already). That sword does something special.

The special thing could be inmaterial value. much mentioned are for example the possibility to trade with the seanchan. even if it would be half a shoelace, if you can trade it for peace with a powerful nation, that makes it valueable. i dont think that its special cause its a sword, but because its hawkwing's sword.

Edit:

The dagger is slightly longer than the palm of a hand, but wide in proportion. It is seemingly made of iron, but appears to also have never been sharpened, with an edge that would not cut much more than butter. The hilt is made of deerhorn and wrapped in gold wire.

Quote is from wot.wikia.com.

A wire, gold? Seems you just described the dagger!

And you should sheath it! Not sheathing it would say it's something special, why else would you carry a dull dagger?

except the bit at the tip. and the dreamspike:

A dreamspike is a large, spike-like piece of silvery metal that is topped with a large metal head and set with golden inlay.

the tip seems to indicate this one. the color i was reffering to was of the hilt itself,(sorry for bad language, if thats what gave you the idea i was talking about the wire - that is to thin for me to see.) the "large metal head" is easily seen on the cover, even without enlarging the pic.

2nd edit: why sheet a dull dagger? its not for dagger uses, and it wont cut your belt. its just there to hide you, not to be a dagger.

The sword could be entirely ornamental. If you look at everything Rand is wearing, the man is not at all dressed for practicality. It appears he makes a conscious effort to ditch the humble cloak of a shepherd he wore in ToM to take back up the more elaborate clothes of a lord. The sword could easily be part of that outfit he has chosen to confront the Dark One in. You may as well look good if you're going to die.

The sword could be entirely ornamental. If you look at everything Rand is wearing, the man is not at all dressed for practicality. It appears he makes a conscious effort to ditch the humble cloak of a shepherd he wore in ToM to take back up the more elaborate clothes of a lord. The sword could easily be part of that outfit he has chosen to confront the Dark One in. You may as well look good if you're going to die.

Could it possibly be what he wore to the FoM?

Could it possibly be what he wore to the FoM?

It could be what he wears to FoM, but Rand was confident enough in himself in ToM to wear the simple cloak when returning to the High Lords of Tear, during his meeting with the Border Landers, and his brief visit to the White Tower. Rand no longer needs to conform to what people expect a king of kings to look like as no one within his presence can deny what he is now. I don't see why it would be any different at the FoM, even with a far larger amount of groups present. It's likely what he will end up wearing to FoM based off what we know of his plans, but I think the reasons will come down to something along the lines of dressing oneself for their own funeral.

Even if the clothes prove entirely irrelevant or I'm flat out wrong, there is precedence for Rand wearing swords for ornamental purposes. That's practically the only function Justice has had since it was found.

Yes. That's the first thing that bothered me about it. The cave seems like red clay, when it really shouldn't.

No book cover will ever meet your standards if you demand that kind of accuracy. You shouldn't let something minor like that bother you. Just appreciate the cover for itself and not judge it on what your own image of a particular scene would be.

At least that's what I've been telling myself these last ten years, because I never was satisfied with the book covers. :laugh:

Archived