DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Official AMOL Cover Art (Spoilers)

i don't post much, but i'm here in spirit and lurking wise...

First of all, what about this does NOT look like Callandor, for those who say it looks like Justice? It's obviously clear and looks like glass. Notice Rand's arm through the sword?

Pretty sure the second sword he's wearing (but not holding) is the one people are suggesting is Justice, we know Callandor is the clear one he is holding in front of him

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking that the dagger is the Shadar Logoth dagger. This would imply that Rand takes out Fain before going to face the Dark One, since I doubt Rand would be able to get the dagger from Fain without killing him. Maybe he needs the dagger as part of sealing the Dark One, so a portion of the book is spent with Rand hunting down Fain.

Brandon gave 3 scenes for M. Whelan to draw, right? Obviously it looks like the caves heading in S.G.

It looks to me as if something is coming, and Rand is preparing for it.

Shaidar Haran? Moridin? Ishamael? All 3??

Id love to know who Rand is preparing for, and it looks like Nyn and (Mo?) see it too, or at least are aware of the threat and are watching Rand in anticipation of it.

Hmm Why Do I feel So exited and so happy.....But at the same time so bummed and soo sad?! [ Wish he got a little more knowledge on the WoT gals before putting this on paper, Its not like He didnt have enough time to do it right....] eh

What's wrong with them? Nyn's hair is a bit light but that could be the glare...

Its not light its blond, and she did have her braid burned off but not that much, Moraine is said to be very slender and around 5'0 while Nyn is 5'4 or 5'5 and a little meatier than moraine, could be Moraines cloak but they look a little to similair.........anyways you being Suttree Im sure your response will make me wish I had never commented on it....

Are we sure the woman on the left is Moiraine? If you look closely, she's wearing a white gown with a blue cloak. From NS, we know Moiraine hates wearing white. Plus, there is no sign of the kesiera. This could well be Egwene, gi ven the blue cloak so that there is some doubt on who this is to keep alive the suspense of the Egwene-Rand face-off to come.

Also, it's interesting to note that the eclipse only made it into the last version Whelan made, while two early sketches show the sun. What that means, I couldn't say. I do still think it's a stretch to say the eclipse has nothing to do with "twice dawns the day".

I am not sure what it means precisely, but prophecies are vague like that "dawn" hardly needs to be a literal dawn.

In any case, this is what TOR has to say about it.

Here, Rand stands with Callandor on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, heading down into its depths to confront the Dark One even as the sun itself vanishes from the world. Two Aes Sedai follow the Dragon Reborn into the mouth of darkness, two women who have been with Rand since the very beginning.

Also, it's interesting to note that the eclipse only made it into the last version Whelan made, while two early sketches show the sun. What that means, I couldn't say. I do still think it's a stretch to say the eclipse has nothing to do with "twice dawns the day".

I am not sure what it means precisely, but prophecies are vague like that "dawn" hardly needs to be a literal dawn.

In any case, this is what TOR has to say about it.

Here, Rand stands with Callandor on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, heading down into its depths to confront the Dark One even as the sun itself vanishes from the world. Two Aes Sedai follow the Dragon Reborn into the mouth of darkness, two women who have been with Rand since the very beginning.

Yeah, I have to say, though it looks very cool and all, I sort of wish the eclipse wasn't in the cover. Just so we could keep guessing about the 'twice dawns the day' thing. I mean I suppose there still could be a twist there, but...eh.

Also, was I the only one who saw Rand and their mind just went, "and LUNGE and stretch and..." I got over it when I realised he was supposed to be running(?) but it still makes me giggle. It's like he got caught doing a dramatic dance move and someone photoshopped in a sword.

But I think it's very good in general, and I am so psyched that Moiraine and Nynaeve will be the ones going to face the DO with Rand. Two of my favourite characters, and Rand and Nynaeve make a great team. Can't wait!

Heh, yeah, he is taking the Zumba class at Shayol Ghul.

Re: eclipse. I don't know why else there would be an eclipse, if not for the "twice dawn". There is nothing else that makes it relevant. Unless there is just a random eclipse for absolutely no reason at all, but something cool.

Fair enough in saying technically it is not 100% proof, but come on... random eclipse...

Brandon gave 3 scenes for M. Whelan to draw, right? Obviously it looks like the caves heading in S.G.

It looks to me as if something is coming, and Rand is preparing for it.

Shaidar Haran? Moridin? Ishamael? All 3??

Id love to know who Rand is preparing for, and it looks like Nyn and (Mo?) see it too, or at least are aware of the threat and are watching Rand in anticipation of it.

its lava at the pit of doom right? i assumed he was maybe holding his arm up to block the heat and/or light from the lava...probably more the light since he doesnt get bothered by heat, unless its scorching hot

its lava at the pit of doom right? i assumed he was maybe holding his arm up to block the heat and/or light from the lava...probably more the light since he doesnt get bothered by heat, unless its scorching hot

Lava pit at Shayol Ghul is pretty scorching... haha, nar, I know what you mean. You are probably right, it would most likely be from the glare. Or, possibly a reflex reaction from the DO talking to him.

Re: eclipse. I don't know why else there would be an eclipse, if not for the "twice dawn". There is nothing else that makes it relevant. Unless there is just a random eclipse for absolutely no reason at all, but something cool.

Fair enough in saying technically it is not 100% proof, but come on... random eclipse...

im not gonna pretend to know one way or the other that i know the eclipse is prophecy filling or not, but i will say this, its one hell of a symbol to show the struggle the light has gone through with the shadow trying to cover up all the good that has and is being done, and the good that inevitably will be done given that an eclipse has no choice but to move on and allow the light to shine once again

im not gonna pretend to know one way or the other that i know the eclipse is prophecy filling or not, but i will say this, its one hell of a symbol to show the struggle the light has gone through with the shadow trying to cover up all the good that has and is being done, and the good that inevitably will be done given that an eclipse has no choice but to move on and allow the light to shine once again

Hmm, fair enough. As I said, it is not certain. But putting a symbolic eclipse in? Seems kinda cheesy and a bit silly really. Not that you don't have a point, just it would be disappointing if that is it.

It could be the DO's effect on the Pattern, an not actually an eclipse as we know it (Moon crossing paths with the sun), which is fair enough in its own right, and doesn't need to be pertaining to prophecy.

I should really revise my statement, since technically, a whole heap of things could be involved in this scenario.

I will say that it really lines up perfectly, and is likely to be involved with the Prophecy.

Taking the whole chunk of that particular passage:

Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon’s blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow.

If a shoe fits....

I think that Rand is holding Callandor, in the Heron Wading in the Rushes sword form. Thats kida how i have always pictured it to look like.

Hmmm, I can't say I ever really got a clear picture of most of the Sword Forms. I never really paid that much attention to them, nice one!

Although, why would he be using Callandor as a sword?

The bigger question is why doesn't Callandor have a scabbard. He only has one hand, if he needs to use the sword at his waist like some people think he will he has to drop it. Not like you can put it through your belt as it is sharp enough to be used as a sword.

The bigger question is why doesn't Callandor have a scabbard. He only has one hand, if he needs to use the sword at his waist like some people think he will he has to drop it. Not like you can put it through your belt as it is sharp enough to be used as a sword.

Ha, nice one!

It would be a bit awkward.

I am not sure if that would be a predominate worry for Rand in this situation though. I doubt he would be thinking of sheathing Callandor in the Pit of Doom.

Hmm, fair enough. As I said, it is not certain. But putting a symbolic eclipse in? Seems kinda cheesy and a bit silly really. Not that you don't have a point, just it would be disappointing if that is it.

It could be the DO's effect on the Pattern, an not actually an eclipse as we know it (Moon crossing paths with the sun), which is fair enough in its own right, and doesn't need to be pertaining to prophecy.

I should really revise my statement, since technically, a whole heap of things could be involved in this scenario.

I will say that it really lines up perfectly, and is likely to be involved with the Prophecy.

Taking the whole chunk of that particular passage:

Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon’s blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow.

If a shoe fits....

oh please dont get me wrong cause i enjoy reading your posts, and i have fancied the possibility of what an eclipse could mean as far as the prophecies, its just something that i have a hard time picturing in my head so its one of the things that i RAFO myself on :rolleyes: that and the symbology i pointed out sounded really neat in my head lol there is a spiritual sense you can gather with an eclipse and this eternal fight of light vs dark/good vs evil

edit: and the part of "in the pit of doom shall his blood free men from the shadow" is what prompted me to look at his shirt on the new cover, where i commented earlier that i swear i saw a lil blood on his shirt but its hard to tell, i feel like he may be going in there already bleeding and ready to do what must be done

Callandor doesn't have a scabbard. When transported it's always been wrapped in a cloth or something similar. Additionally it could function like a sword if need be, so I suppose no need to draw his other blade. If he really wanted to I suppose he could give Callandor over to one of the two women with him to hold, it wouldn't function differently were he not holding it. As for why he would he be wearing the other one, no clue. Maybe he is being nostalgic with two other blades on his hip. As well wonder why he isn't wearing his brown beggar's cloak he liked so much.

oh please dont get me wrong cause i enjoy reading your posts, and i have fancied the possibility of what an eclipse could mean as far as the prophecies, its just something that i have a hard time picturing in my head so its one of the things that i RAFO myself on :rolleyes: that and the symbology i pointed out sounded really neat in my head lol there is a spiritual sense you can gather with an eclipse and this eternal fight of light vs dark/good vs evil

edit: and the part of "in the pit of doom shall his blood free men from the shadow" is what prompted me to look at his shirt on the new cover, where i commented earlier that i swear i saw a lil blood on his shirt but its hard to tell, i feel like he may be going in there already bleeding and ready to do what must be done

Haha, sorry, I didn't mean to say that the symbology is stupid. I just thought it was really cheesy :laugh: The idea itself is good, but putting it in an actual scene?

Ahh, nice one, I didn't pick the blood up, I will have to go back and have a look!

Edit: It does look like there is a bit of blood there, too vague for me to say though. It does fit with the scene though

This is super cool. I do think that Elayne would probably have the dull-knife ter'angreal on her person -- considering that's the only reason Aviendha left it behind -- so Rand might get it from her (especially if she knew where he was going).

I still think it's a stretch to say that eclipse = dawn. A very huge stretch. I saw several versions of the cover at JCon, including some of the ones posted on Tor, and none of the other ones had an eclipse. It seems a strange detail for Brandon to have left out of the original scene description, don't you think? Anyway, I'm not surprised there's an eclipse; I think I had this discussion with sleepinghour at one point, and I told her that I can see all sorts of reasons to throw an eclipse into the mix, but that I simply don't think it will fulfill the 'twice dawns the day' prophecy.

Archived