DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Official AMOL Cover Art (Spoilers)

We can all have some :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back on topic, the two cover arts, this and DKS' unfinished work make me have some serious doubts about Rand dying before the Pit of Doom. Nothing seems out of the ordinary about him, he doesn't appear to be in TAR, or one of the Heroes or something. Plus the prophecies about the "twice the day dawns" relating to possible two deaths is pretty cleared up with that eclipse.

And the Rand on the bier in DKS' version looks to be after this scene, as SG is in the background with blood on it.

I don't see the point in him dying twice now, if he is only going to come back seemingly "whole". Other than dramatic effect, there is no reason for him to die, come back, only to die again.

I'm still of the opinion that Rand 'died' metaphorically in VoG.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one?

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Dull_dagger

Dull dagger

The dull dagger is a ter'angreal found in the Kin's Store Room in Ebou Dar.

The use of it was the first to be identified by Aviendha's talent of Reading Ter'angreal

Appearance

The dagger is slightly longer than the palm of a hand, but wide in proportion. It is seemingly made of iron, but appears to also have never been sharpened, with an edge that would not cut much more than butter. The hilt is made of deerhorn and wrapped in gold wire.

Use

Whoever is in possession of the dagger becomes invisible to Shadowspawn, including Myrddraal and Trollocs. Aviendha also states that it is possible that even the Dark One himself may not be able to see its wielder.

Might be a better guess than the dreamspike! Where would Rand qet one of those. There are two known: one is destroyed by Perrin, the other is at the Black Tower. This dagger was quite easily to obtain (Rand might have gotten it when he paid Elayne a special visit and knocked her up) and seems to have had a foreshadowing.

I love it...

Dreamspike sounds like a very good idea...it's about the size and shape I imagined. And its usefullness would be unquestionable.

However, we've only seen it work from TAR. So it either functions outside to, or this IS TAR(y'know, SG, the place without TAR reflection... Than again, Moridin is bound to know its key to...

I've speculated elsewhere that Rand may have a special relationship with T'A'R. If so, if anyone can reconnect T'A'R with the Blight in general and SG in particular - which may be necessary in order to Heal the hole in the Pattern that is the Bore - it's Rand.

i also just looked at the tor site for this, and with all the sketches that he did, there seems to be a deliberate hiding of rands missing hand, could just be that no one wanted that wound to be a focal point for a weakness, but in pure speculation i feel like its worth noting

Maybe he's got that 'onyx hand' that Min viewed!

I think it is entirely intentional them not showing Rand's arm. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of any part of his arm at all. Definitely done on purpose, for what reason though, is another matter. Most likely to encourage speculation, like it is doing.

Or simply that Rand would look less awesome with a stump.

I love it...

Dreamspike sounds like a very good idea...it's about the size and shape I imagined. And its usefullness would be unquestionable.

However, we've only seen it work from TAR. So it either functions outside to, or this IS TAR(y'know, SG, the place without TAR reflection... Than again, Moridin is bound to know its key to...

I've speculated elsewhere that Rand may have a special relationship with T'A'R. If so, if anyone can reconnect T'A'R with the Blight in general and SG in particular - which may be necessary in order to Heal the hole in the Pattern that is the Bore - it's Rand.

Of course, something will have to restore TAR-ability to SG...but even than, morridin almost for sure knows the key to this dreamspike. I always think of the key as a very specific addition to he traveling weave that wil make this dreamspike let you through. Unless Rand can change/reset the key of course.

Unless Rand figures out how to work the "permissions" on the Dreamspike, then it will work against him at Shayol Ghul. It will block his escape after he seals the Bore, killing him, Nynaeve, and Moiraine. I think the dagger is more useful as it will hide him from the DO and allow him to enter the Pit of Doom undetected.

Thank you Aviendha for telling us what the dagger does. And thank you Elayne for giving it to Rand.

It is just awesome looking at the cover. Just awesome.

Hmm Why Do I feel So exited and so happy.....But at the same time so bummed and soo sad?! [ Wish he got a little more knowledge on the WoT gals before putting this on paper, Its not like He didnt have enough time to do it right....] eh

What's wrong with them? Nyn's hair is a bit light but that could be the glare...

My first impression: "Man, Rand really looks like a pirate."

I was hoping that the cover would involve the three ta'veren.

Also, IMO this looks more like "hard" Rand rather than Rand Sedai. Maybe that look is just his determination to get his job done.

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. Its very nicely done, and I like it, but the (seeming) errors just kick my butt. Mor's height/build, Nyn's hair, the swords look wrong to me. Wishing Whelan had read the books first.

My first impression: "Man, Rand really looks like a pirate."

I was hoping that the cover would involve the three ta'veren.

Also, IMO this looks more like "hard" Rand rather than Rand Sedai. Maybe that look is just his determination to get his job done.

does kinda look like a pirate lol those boots are sick...ya i would say this is rand with a look of determination, he is walking straight in to the heart of evil knowing full well what he is facing

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. Its very nicely done, and I like it, but the (seeming) errors just kick my butt. Mor's height/build, Nyn's hair, the swords look wrong to me. Wishing Whelan had read the books first.

Did DK Sweet read the books? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that he did not read them other than the specific scene her was asked to base it off.

Further nitpicking: I would've liked to see a more prominent eclipse. Similar to the full moon in tEotW. I think the AoL aes sedai symbol o0f clouds in the DK Sweet aMoL sketch provided this nice juxtaposition.

Exciting day for longtme WoT fans. The cover does indeed shed light on some long held theories.

First, the small stuff.

1) Nyneave's hair. Is it blonde? I didn't think so. Hope not. I think one could argue it is really brown, while Mo's is black, so it just appears lighter.

2) The third object. I think Dreamspike and/or "Knife of Dreams" are both good guesses. I don't think is it just some random dagger he has. No reason to bring it otherwise. I have to think everything Rand brings with him to SG will have a purpose. In either case, it suggest that a significant amount of things have to happen before Rand goes to SG.

If it is the Dreamspike, then either the Black Tower situation has to be resolved first, as it is the only one left we know of since Perrin destroyed the one around Tar Valon.

This is all good, because we all have been wanting some resolution there for some time. What could the Dreamspike do? Well, if Rand re-sealed the Prison is some way, then put a dreampsike down around it, then no one would be able to zip in via travelng (in T'A'R or the real world) and undo the prison using the One Power. It would be a lot easier to guard, this way, especially if the radius could be altered. And a point of order on keys, there must be a way to carry the DS without activating it, or Graendal would never have been able to visit Moridin. Perrin just didn't know how, and hence the dome went with him. If Rand activated the thing after arriving, it would explain the lack of Shadown channelers, they'd have to walk it to get there.

As for the Knife of Dreams, the only way Rand would know of it (probably) would be for Aviendha to tell him, which means she also has to get back from the Waste and make her way to Merrilor (presumably), or possibly Caemlyn after the battle. Next to the BT and the Song/Ogier plotlines, the fate of the Aiel is one of the most interesting to me. Maybe it is linked to the Ogier/Song one? Anyway, if it is the Knive, then Rand and Avi have talked, and this plotline should have progressed, which is also exciting.

3) Moiraine's presence. A couple things here. Since ToM we've all known Nyneave would be one to accompany Randy to SG, she all but confirmed it in talking to him. Now we know Moiraine is the other. Not Egwene or Aviendha. Or Elayne. Or Alivia. Or anyone else. Moiraine. Makes sense, and completes the circle. She was there at the beginning, she should be there at the end.

For me, Mo and Nynaeve are also the arch-types for Aes Sedai. Moiraine for the 3rd Age, Nynaeve for the 4th. Moiraine for her ability to manuever people emotionally and politically when necessary (Cairheinin + AS) but still caring for them. She showed incredible dedication to her cause, and unlike most 3rd Age AS, she reamined in the world instead of isolated from it. She was more than capable of throwing tradition over the side when she thought the greater good needed it (passing Lan's bond to Myrelle to keep him alive; realizing that Rand must dance free to fullfill his destiny, and remembering the parallel between surrendering to saidar and surrending to Rand). But still wrapped in mystery and secrets. Nyneave embraces what I hope will be the 4th age mentality, realizing that serving people is more important than being AS. Being AS can't be the most important thing for AS, being servants to all must be. She's already healed a gentled man, went out of her way to heal those in need in Bandar Eban, and healed insanity in seveal Asha'man, and was williing to NOT be AS if they thought she failed their stupid test. Bravo!

Anyway, back to plots revealed. Mo's presence also signifies we have a way to go before SG, as she is currently with Mat. I hope this means she's been restored to full strength. I know her presence can be explained by the fact that Rand trusts her (and Nynaeve) and not any of the others, but would it not also make sense to give yourself the best chance to win? I know she has an angreal (sa'angrea?) from Finnland that makes her stronger than before, but what if she was restored AND had it? Hopefully, Damer or one of the healed AS that Rand stilled come into contact with her, either around Caemlyn, in Merrilor, or in Tar Valon. Would love to see her at full strength (and Siuan and Leanne too).

Lastly, maybe she has some important piece of information on the LB to impart. We don't know for certain. We don't know her answers nor her wishes (beyond one wish, and possible a ? about Thom). If she was destined to be at the LB at SG, then questions about it would still be germain to HER life, and thus should be answerable.

4) OK, so that brings us to the prophecies and what the cover says about them.

1st: "The Dragon will be reborn on the slopes of Dragonmount." I'm with FarShainMael here. Rand has fullfilled it twice. First, literally, being born on the slopes of Dragonmount was one of the signs that the Dragon had been reborn. But it was just one of them. But Rand was not truly the Dragon until VoG, where is was metaphorically reborn. As Rand al'Thor is gone, we know have Rand/Lews Therin as an integrated personablity. He is both. And new emergent being forged from both that went before. As Rand himself has acknowledged. It was entirely possible for him to fail on the slopes of Dragonmount and fail to integrate Lews Therin, if so, he'd never have answered the Borderlanders correctly. He's still be (dark Rand), but not "the Dragon."

2nd: "Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed. Once for mourning, once for birth. Red on black, the Dragon's blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul. In the PIt of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow." Of course, this verse, and some of the preliminary sketches of the cover (Rand on bier) seem to contradict the idea that Rand has already died his death. Else what is the mourning for? And the bier? Still, we at least know that "twice dawns the day" is indeed an eclipse.

Still, if one is searcing for two deaths, one metaphoric on the slopes in VoG, and one more literal here. I wouldn't give up on that theory quite yet.

3rd: Regarding Callandor and three becoming one. "He shall hold a blade of light in his hand, and the three shall be one."

But which three? In terms of linking, we seen conflicting info, but from what Cadsuane said, and Lanfear's convesation regarding Rahvin, it seems a woman must lead a circle of 2 women and one man, or at least must do so for Callandor's flaw not to overwhelm Rand. But is that it? I also think three becoming one refers to saidin, saidar, and the TP. I think Rand will weild the TP around the prison, and then it will be sealed by a combination of saidin and saidar. Rand knows the problem was that the DO was able to touch saidin directly, and thus taint it, but if the TP is used first, then saidin/saidar, I think he is in business. Now, conceptually, I'm not sure how that works, with the TP being the essence of the DO and all, and wouldn't he still be touching saidin and saidar because the TP is himself?

If not, then I think some form of the Shadar Logoth evil must be used. Which would also give rise to an interesting possibility for that dagger, though I don't see a ruby.

Sorry for the length.

Did DK Sweet read the books? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that he did not read them other than the specific scene her was asked to base it off.

Not really banging on Whelan or Sweet. Just wishful thinking. Covers are rarely perfect, but this one had the potential to be, as did Sweet's unfinished one, IMHO.

This is super cool. I do think that Elayne would probably have the dull-knife ter'angreal on her person -- considering that's the only reason Aviendha left it behind -- so Rand might get it from her (especially if she knew where he was going).

Also, it's interesting to note that the eclipse only made it into the last version Whelan made, while two early sketches show the sun. What that means, I couldn't say. I do still think it's a stretch to say the eclipse has nothing to do with "twice dawns the day".

Did Rand ever ditch the cloak he wore in Veins of Gold ? I find it interesting Rand chooses to confront the Dark One in the clothes of a lord rather than the more humble clothes he took to wearing in ToM.

i don't post much, but i'm here in spirit and lurking wise...

First of all, what about this does NOT look like Callandor, for those who say it looks like Justice? It's obviously clear and looks like glass. Notice Rand's arm through the sword?

Michael Whelan is definitely my fav fantasy artist. He hooked me wayyyy back with Melanie Rawns Sunrunner series. Love his art.

I actually think Rand looks as true to how I personally imagined him to be. BUT, lol....what is up with the STANCE? I would have much more preferred Rand to be holding Callandor in front of him, with 2 hands. Not an "En Garde" stance. I love the pic, i truly do, and ive HATED Sweets work as far as representing the storyline, whatever. I personally was hoping for little bit more, but then again they don't make the covers for how "I" view things.

Overall its a great representation as usual but something about it doesn't sit right. For some reason, for once, Sweets unfinished work was prob his best as far as WOT.

That HAS to be Moiraine, theres no doubt to me after seeing this. Sweet would give a "general, overall feel" to his covers. Whelan is probably spot on as far as this scene.

Actually the 2 covers has worked "hand in hand" as far as how I view this book, and I can't FRIGGIN WAIT

i gather from rands stance in this cover that he's got a little captain in him :) as far as with moiraine and her head piece, did she have that coming out of the tower? i thought she was naked so i wouldnt have assumed her to have it but i could be wrong

Archived