DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alanna bonding Rand

condonmc

So I know this is a topic that is quite old, but I am on my re-read of LoC and I just finished dreaded chapter ten when Alanna bonds Rand and I rememberd that this was the first time that I threw the book against the wall swearing not to read one more word of WoT and spewing hate against Aes Sedia. This scene deeply disturbed me with so many differant things [ some I cant even put into words and some will get me permanently banned from DM]. To start I felt that Rand could have at least asked, pleaded, or demanded that Alanna remove the bond at once, wich He didnt say a word. RJ spoke of bonding somone without there permission as an unspeakleable disgusting act alikened to you know what, but Rand acted nonchalant about the whole thing. He had this attitude like ' O well', Ya thats it, not even an internal sentence where he thinks to himself' try to get out of it'. At this point unwilling bonding plus trying to shield Him would count them as enemies, we have been there as He learned not to trust Ase Sedia, that by doing so leads to trouble and harm, and He vows not to let Aes Sedia put a leash on Him. We have been there as He becomes an unstable, partialy insane very powerful Dragon Reborn who demands that what is best for the world ie. his will.. be done, and if it isnt, its death. Why didnt Rand do more to Alanna and Verin, In my opinion He has killed for way less, the least He could have done was threaten some sort of physical harm or death[ I doubt He understood the warder rules at the time] All before RJ has been building Rand up to be getting touchier and more on edge and ready to explode but He handles this like they threw a snow ball at Him! So I found and do find his reaction totally out of character and very comprimising for my flegling love of RJ and WoT the first time I read the series. I was back reading in under two minutes after my tantrum and am very glad I finished [although no one will ever be truly finished] WoT and realize certain things had to be or remain for the story line but I had to vent to you all this time around and I do say sorry for my unprofessional compilation of this paragraph and horrible sentence structure.......but if you dont like it you can kiss a hairy goats flaming backside on a half-moon night = keep it safe.. keep it sexy..

Honestly it's what he needed at the time, I'm pretty sure he realised it, and I believe it was his taveren ness that caused it in the first place (though this might be the only instance where it caused something to physically happen to one of the big 3 that I can recall as the boom in book 1 can be debated upon wheth it was taveren or channeling)

it annoyed me too- and still does. I'm guessing that it'll play a part yet, what with Alanna missing after receiving a letter from Verin. it probably contained some crucial piece of info and she'll use it to benefit rand, because of the bond they share.

(i'm also kinda surprised that the 3 girls don't put any pressure on anyone to have that bond removed)

The act was basically mind-rape. I have no sympathy for Alanna. Ta'veren effect or no, benefit or no, it is a bad thing to do. If it was a 20 year old girl who was bonded forcibly by a 40 yo man, everyone would be screaming murder at the filthy perverted bastard. I see no reason for this to be different. The act itself is bad. Whatever good comes of it. Unfortunately, if it was the pattern, Alanna just has to take the fall, nobody should be bonded against their will. Kinda like Judas in the bible. Jesus knew it was going to happen, it had already been planned out by God or what not. Judas couldn't help it, but he still gets the crap for betraying Jesus.

And Rand didn't know much about the Warder bond at the time. he knew if it was broken, he would get the Death Rage, so he probably didn't want to risk anything. That an the fact he was in shock of just being bonded. He wasn't exactly thinking straight at the time. Rand was loathe to hurt women, he would not have threatened them with violence. So the only thing he could do was to send them away as far as he could so he could think of a way to get out of the situation.

Also, the 3 girls have planned some pretty nasty stuff they would like to do with Alanna. Min tells her to relinquish the bond at least once.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Maybe initially Rand did not have anyone to ask about the bond. But he then has dozens of tame Aes Sedai or later Ny to ask about the bond and how to break it. It makes no sense that he starts ignoring it.For a man hunted by Forsaken that seems a really stupid move.

Without the taint and LTT-induced madness, Rand's mind is a mess! He has 4 women bonded to him and feels them constantly. Poor guy!

Anyway, I don't think Alanna would have removed the bond whatever the threat; because in the end, Rand would pay the price. Strangely, I enjoyed reading their reunion in Far Madding. It was one of the few scenes where I liked Alanna. "Light, man, Let us help you!" was just an awesome line.

I think that reading this reunion gives some good insight about Alanna and the bond to Rand. It is a very interesting scene.

Edited by Theodril

I enjoyed reading their reunion in Far Madding. It was one of the few scenes where I liked Alanna. "Light, man, Let us help you!" was just an awesome line.

I too, enjoyed that part, but we all know when an Aes Sedia says" let us help you", Its what she thinks He needs help in and that could go as far as shielding Rand, trying to control him and leash him for the Last Battle..cause only an Aes Sedia knows what to do and how to do it, right?

You guys might be directing your hate at the wrong person and should maybe think about giving poor Alanna a break.

There's a pretty good theory out there that Verin compelled her into it.

No. Verin was surprised after she did it. Surprised and upset about it. Even in her own mind.

I only said that it was a good theory, not necessarily that I believe it.

Here it is none the less... http://www.theoryland.com/theories.php?func=5&rec=100&theo=2772

I enjoyed reading their reunion in Far Madding. It was one of the few scenes where I liked Alanna. "Light, man, Let us help you!" was just an awesome line.

I too, enjoyed that part, but we all know when an Aes Sedia says" let us help you", Its what she thinks He needs help in and that could go as far as shielding Rand, trying to control him and leash him for the Last Battle..cause only an Aes Sedia knows what to do and how to do it, right?

In general WoT terms, your statement is true. But I really believe Alanna was purely honest in that meeting and wanted to help Rand. The evidence is that she followed his orders to go to Merana in Tear to help negotiate the end to the rebellion without argument. And from that moment on; Alanna wasn't seen as interfering with Rand or even helping to do that. She was simply trying to help him and follow his orders.

Edited by Theodril

Yeah, apart from the initial bonding itself, Alanna is pretty good with Rand. It is enjoyable reading her interactions with him, and despite my earlier comments, I don't dislike her, she isn't a bad person, and it seems she really wants to help Rand now, after she initially tried and failed to control him. So yeah, good character, but I have no sympathy for all the crap she gets put through, she tried to dance with the Dragon Reborn, she is reaping what she sowed. (for the mind-rape)

Re Verin: There is a difference between hiding your alligence to other characters and internal dialogue. Unless you mean to say Verin was lying to herself? (edit: don't mean to sound like an ass here!)

LOC Chapter 11: Lessons and Teachers (Verin POV)

Very likely it had been frustration over that, plus the frayed state of her nerves, that had led her to what she did with Rand. Not only bonding him, but doing so without his permission. That had not been done in hundreds of years.

I just love alanna...if WoT were real, I'd want to be her Warder... It started on my 2nd read. She a very infeelable woman. And she is genuine concerned about him - a rare trait among AS.

Does she? I suppose she probably does. Though I think it was the pain she felt in him for so long that broke her. She was basically tortured by the bond. She mind raped him... but then he stockholm-ed her.

I'm not sure why everyone use complaining about that bond. She saved his live at least three times with it. I personally believe he had to be bonded when he was or everything would have fallen apart.

It is tantamount to rape, only of the mind. That it has been useful is beside the point here. The action itself is still bad, that's the problem, at least for me. Just because good came of it doesn't lessen the crime itself, you rape someone, you have to pay, no matter that it might have saved their life (although I don't know how it could) the fact is, you still raped that person. Which is bad.

But she has served her time, so to speak. As you said, she has saved his life numerous times and has suffered enough. I have no sympathy for the crap she endured, but I don't really want anything bad to happen to her, nor do I wish for prolonged suffering.

I never understood why it happened in the story. Like what happens when she dies? If the bond isn't passed, Warders rarely survive right? Seems like a HUGE plot hole. Of course it kinda means she's not a Darkfriend. Because if the shadow knew, they would use her.

I never understood why it happened in the story. Like what happens when she dies? If the bond isn't passed, Warders rarely survive right? Seems like a HUGE plot hole. Of course it kinda means she's not a Darkfriend. Because if the shadow knew, they would use her.

Given the nature of the bonding process, I would have been hard pressed to pass up the oppurtunity as well. What she did was no worse than the kidnapping that the Reds attempted. Simply put, AS were trying to control and track the Dragon Reborn. Unfortunately for Alanna, she didn't have the will to control Rand through the bond. Don't forget that the bond carries some Compulsion-like abilities for the bond holder.

I think from a plot stand point, there could have been more page-time spent on the bond and Rand vs Alanna for control of it. I realize that the bond served a couple of rescue purposes, but something this powerful went nearly neglected for the entire series.

Do I remember correctly that the bond enhances a persons strength and stamina somehow? If so I wonder if Rand could have survived some of his physical injuries without the bonding. Maybe the pattern forced Alanna to it because Rand needed that enhancement to survive his comming trials?

Do I remember correctly that the bond enhances a persons strength and stamina somehow? If so I wonder if Rand could have survived some of his physical injuries without the bonding. Maybe the pattern forced Alanna to it because Rand needed that enhancement to survive his comming trials?

you are right, it does give extra strenght/stamina. Also that the pattern probably nudged it a bit, with him being Ta'veren it was likely forced. Still, not a good thing to do,but it does help redeem her.

@Pinzarn re: struggle for control.

Simply put, there was no struggle. Alanna had no chance of controlling him, he is ta'veren, the strongest channeler in the world, the Dragon Reborn, and insane, he was far too powerful for her and far too angry. Alanna is slightly above average, at best.