DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Pay Attention to the Main Page--Sweets Unfinished Cover

Luckers

Darrell K. Sweet's rough draft will be going live today at 1pm EST. To be clear, this won't actually be the cover, as Michael Whelan has taken over since Darrell passed. And Brandon confirmed to me the other day that Michael is doing a different scene to what Darrell drew. But I will say this, though Darrell's work is rough and has a few inconsistancies, it is probably his best since EotW.

And its of something pretty amazing. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The proportions on Rand's girlfriends are terrible. I wonder why they're wearing white?

A little silly how the sticks are holding up the body.... wasn't he supposed to be on a pyre at this point?

Is that even Shayol Ghul? I don't imagine grass growing there.

And that's a yin/yang symbol, not the Aes Sedai symbol...

Gah.... no wonder they dropped it.

Being in the UK I'm always a bit surprised by how the US covers have much more pictorial representations of the characters when it comes to fantasy books. It's becoming more common here in the UK, but personally I prefer a more plain representation on the cover - as I like to build a picture of the main characters in my head. I suppose the marketing people must do an analysis of the different markets. It's not that I want boring covers, I just don't really want to see the main characters portrayed. Perhaps I'm just a cover conservative?!!

The proportions on Rand's girlfriends are terrible. I wonder why they're wearing white?

A little silly how the sticks are holding up the body.... wasn't he supposed to be on a pyre at this point?

Is that even Shayol Ghul? I don't imagine grass growing there.

And that's a yin/yang symbol, not the Aes Sedai symbol...

Gah.... no wonder they dropped it.

white is what is worn in randland for mourning. and you sir i suspect are intentionaly trolling for unicorns, so i must say stfu (stop trolling for unicorns)

Being in the UK I'm always a bit surprised by how the US covers have much more pictorial representations of the characters when it comes to fantasy books. It's becoming more common here in the UK, but personally I prefer a more plain representation on the cover - as I like to build a picture of the main characters in my head. I suppose the marketing people must do an analysis of the different markets. It's not that I want boring covers, I just don't really want to see the main characters portrayed. Perhaps I'm just a cover conservative?!!

the hardcovers here as likely everywhere have no imagry on the book itself, only on the dust jacket that you store it in on the shelf. it is part of the reason i love hardcover books.

I very much agree, the UK covers are the only ones I like. But that does not mean I don't appreciate the art for some of the books, I just don't want it on the cover.

Maybe i have missed it all these years but isnt he tear and the fang the exact same thing as the yin and yang???

The Aes Sedai symbol doesn't have the black spot in the white half or the white spot in the black half.

It is based on yin/yang, but not identical. Look at the banner on the cover of tPoD. The guy got it wrong in this painting.

white is what is worn in randland for mourning.

Ah, for mourning. Fair enough.

and you sir i suspect are intentionaly trolling for unicorns, so i must say stfu (stop trolling for unicorns)

What are you talking about?

The above are my first reactions to the painting. If you have something to comment on with regard to those reactions, then I suggest you offer it, because your post comes across as provocative and juvenile.

I very much agree, the UK covers are the only ones I like. But that does not mean I don't appreciate the art for some of the books, I just don't want it on the cover.

Yes, I really like looking at the art having read the books. I also like to see the fan art to see how others have imagined the characters and scenes from the books.

Maybe i have missed it all these years but isnt he tear and the fang the exact same thing as the yin and yang???

The Aes Sedai symbol doesn't have the black spot in the white half or the white spot in the black half.

It is based on yin/yang, but not identical. Look at the banner on the cover of tPoD. The guy got it wrong in this painting.

and you sir i suspect are intentionaly trolling for unicorns, so i must say stfu (stop trolling for unicorns)

The above are my first reactions to the painting. If you have something to comment on with regard to those reactions, then I suggest you offer it, because your post comes across as provocative and juvenile.

Maybe he didn't get it wrong. Maybe the change in the symbol is representative of some outcome of the last battle?

well then, if you were not trolling, you might do well to keep in mind that they didnt just drop it, the guy painting it is no longer able to paint it for mortal reasons. and your casual dismissal of it by saying it was droped clearly sounded trollish.

you are critiquing it as if it were finished, without even bothering to think that it will go through edits, and that this like a book might be, is a draft. as for the spots, honestly do you think the guy who had done covers for the wheel of time books for the last 20+ years would forget that there are no dots on the wot aes sedai symbol, or that it's devide is vertical not horizontal? and even if it were some insanely out of place mistake, do you not think that would have been changed in the next draft? but woops, your the guy who didnt even think the white dresses might be for mourning in the tradition of the westlands.

and if it is or isnt sg isn't something we are likely to know, even with blood on those rocks, but as for grass and light being there, maybe read the start of the most recent book. if there isnt grass there now, it is quite possible that there could be when rand is done.

that is why i said you were trolling for unicorns, and the only thing to say to someone like that is stfu (stop trolling for unicorns)

The backdrop is pretty sensational. I have always thought that was one of Sweet's strengths. I know he has his shortcomings but things he did well, he did very well. His cover was the reason I bought EotW as a young teen so I guess in a way he got me started on this amazing ride and for that I am very grateful. RIP

Guys, we have to remember this was a rough draft, so things like the dots in the Aes Sedai symbol and the length of Min's hair likely would have been fixed up later. Looking at this like it should be absolutely perfect is silly, and was not at all the purpose for revealing it to us. Enjoy it for what it is.

Hey, we can dramatize, sensationalize and over-interpret the dots in the yin-yang, it is an ability developed on this site. However, Lanfear's desire for a single source of the True Source makes sense with them and helps bring necessary balance with those two dots.

Archived