DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New to Dragonmount?

Amadine

Hi - very new to Dragonmount (have stayed away thus far to make sure I avoid spoilers!)

Started reading WoT last November and have just finished ToM....obviously should've started the series in August so I wouldn't have to wait for AMoL! Oh well, love the series and looking forward to reading posts on here! Cheers!

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Bushiki and Tyler!

welcome to DM Im Dice and im a bit of an oldtimer round these parts.

As such I heartily suggest you check out the Social Orgs! thats where these crazy ppl go to chat spam and generally have fun! If you like RP there are boarsds for that too!

Tyler if ure only up to SR GREAT book then i suggestthat you might wanna stay away from the discussions boards! There are TONS of spoilers there!! of course if u dont care about spoilers then just ignore me!

SO...Who are your fav characters? How did u get turned onto WoT?

I'd say I identify most with Perrin. At first it had been just our similarities physically but, as far as I'm into the books anyway, I really like his character. His humilty and his being torn between what he wants to do and what his natural abilities almost demand he does. Whether that holds true as I continue through the series we'll see but I do hope so.

As for how I came across WoT it was, honestly, brought about through Westeros.org where I've been a member for a bout a year and the Game of Thrones sereis. I love that series for its brutality and realistic, if sometimes vulgar, approach to the genre and saw there that WoT was highly recommended as a series and I decided to go for it. I must say, not dissapointed in the least!

Guest arne saknussen

I started this series a long time ago and I am about to restart reading. It will be a long journey (especially since this isn't the only series I'm reading), but I'm hoping this forum will add to the experience and I'm sure it will.

that tru;y sux Nynaeve!!! Can you read it in English? Maybe you could get it sent to you by amazon or something.

Anyways welcome to DM!! Have a look around and dont forget to check out the social Orgs. They each have their own themes and reasons for being and are where us DM folks go to kick back, chat and have fun!

So besides nynaeve and im guessing Lan who are your fav characters and why? Whats ure fav book?

Hey Guys,

A couple of quick questions, that will hopefully help other newbies like me, (I'm not new to play-by-post, but to this site).

Two things, the first being that I have been cruising around the site to see where I want to post and how to write a good bio etc, and there is so much content, I basically get lost. For example, I have found the page with the bios in it once, and have not been able to find the link-to-link connection that got me there again. I have now written a bio, and I have looked back at several pages I have been to on prior occasions, and I'm finding that I'm wasting about 45 minutes every time I log on just to try to find places I'm looking for. Can you guys create a table of contents pull down menu, so that instead of going from link-to-link to find things newbies will need, we can simply click? I'm just finding it hard to wade from topic to subtopic, and still not find what I'm looking for. (And the search bar has not been helpful with this). I would really like to post my bio, but alas, I have been unable to find the place to post it again after two subsequent trips here and a couple of hours of searching.

The other thing I was wondering is if you could clarify things for newbies in the initial welcoming posts. I really liked the post that laid out some of the short forms people use here, that will be useful. I have read several posts that say "make sure you stop and read anything with a sticky", however, I don't understand what a sticky is, and have not yet found anything called a sticky. Are you referring to topics with a "pinned" logo beside it?

Hi @stral - I'll try to help you some. I know this place is big and confusing at first, but let's see if I can simplify it for you a little bit. DM is divided into 4 basic sections (see dark brown section dividers). From top to bottom, they are:

• Getting Started - contains all kinds of things for new people and general info
  • Wheel of Time Discussion - where you discuss the books
  • Social Community - where you can join various social groups based on the books
  • Role Playing, which is divided into 2 sections:
    • Dragon Reborn RP Community - the Out Of Character area, where RPers discuss RP matters
    • Dragon Reborn Role Playing - the In Character area, where the actual Role Plays are posted

The section you are looking for at the moment is Dragon Reborn RP Community, which is 2nd last from the bottom. Right at the top of that is The Welcome Inn, which is the place you want to be.

In there you will find pinned topics (we oldsters forget the new fangled names and keep calling those stickies - back in the day you "stuck" them to the top of a board, rather than "pin" them as you do now).

I presume the one you are looking for is the one called Bio Info & RP Group Histories. It gives some basic info applicable to all Bios, then links to more specific information. Some of the information there needs to be updated, but only the Admins can edit it which makes it a bit difficult.

To help you further, I would need to know which Group you are making a bio for.

Can you guys create a table of contents pull down menu, so that instead of going from link-to-link to find things newbies will need, we can simply click?

I doubt that can be done on DM's setup, but you're welcome to ask over at the Bugs Board (that's in the top section of DM - Getting Started).

Guest Zwren

Hello All,

I just finished book 7 (Crown of Swords) and though many "fans" have commented negatively about the book, I really enjoyed it, even if not as much as the first few. But then I look at the reviews of 8.... (not what they say, just the star ratings) and I'm concerned that the series may not be worth finishing. The last few seem to hold my attention less and less. I don't have the same desire to read this series as I use to. I'm hoping that it picks back up.

I wanted to ask those who have finished the series, is it worth it?

Thanks!

-Z

Guest SirFrancisCromarty

Hello! I've been reading WoT since I was 18 (1996). I've read most of the books at least 3 times. My favorite character goes back & forth between our 3 heroes but I'm super pumped to read out Rand's story with the release of the new cover. I've been reading WoT theories here and on other websites for years. Though I don't post much I definitely appreciate other's insight! Cheers!

Guest seramonie

Hello, I have been a fan since the first book, The Eye of The World, and have been waiting over twenty years now to hear the conclusion of this wonderful story! Most people I know do not understand. I'm very happy to have found this forum to pass the time while i wait... :avi:

Guest bionic uterus

Hey ya everybody,

I have been a lurking around town for many a year now and have been reading WOT and RJ's other work so long that it seems like the beginning of time. I am looking forward to the final chapter however, selfishly I remain heartbroken in that RJ could not have completed his fantasy masterpeice himself.

Good cheers and many blessings. :birgitte:

Edited by bionic uterus

Hey all!! Welocome to DM!!

Zwren I LOVED Crown of Swords!! is the series worth it? ABSOLUTELY!!!!! i found and so did many others the next 2 books difficult to get thru but then you get to Knife of dreams!!!! my advice read the next two there is info in there you need but DONT give up!

Sir francis! dont just hang out on the discussion boards!!! Come visit us in the Social Orgs!! Its where us crazy DMers gather to chat and create mayhem!!

Seramonie!! i love meeting longtime fans!! Whats your fav book? Most ppl dont understand me either!! they just know what im talking about when i say "you know that series i always carry round?" lol

Bionic Uterus LOVE the name!!!! I agree Brandons work is REALLY good but i wish we still had the MASTER!!! Tai'shar Jordan!!! Whats your fav Jordan scene?

Guest Bryce

Hey guys!

I'm a longtime reader, but for whatever reason, never got much into fantasy. Enter HBO and the id-fulfilling goodness that is Game of Thrones. After the first season wrapped I immediately picked up those books and chewed through them, then decided to go back to the roots of fantasy and finally read The Lord of the Rings. With that done, a simple Google search of "Books similar to ASOIAF" led me to Wheel of Time.

Four glorious months, 11,000 pages, and a slightly warped sense of reality later, I just finished ToM.

So I'd like to thank George R.R. Martin, HBO, and Google for leading me to what very well may be my favorite story I've ever read, I'd like to thank Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson for creating a world amazing enough to help me forget about my kind-of crappy one, and finally I'd like to thank the creators and users of Dragonmount for giving me a great place to come geek out now that I'm caught up. Thanks!!

Hi been looking at the site for a few months and now that I have finished my exams I feel justified in joining. Been reading the books for many years now and I just can't wait for the last one. I love reading all the theorys everyone is coming up with and have a few of my own to share.

As an aspiring writer myself I can only hope that one day I will have an online community dedicated to a fantasy world of my own creation. As my target audience I was wondering if there is a group where I could share some of my writing and extracts from my book to get some feedback.

For those that do not know, all of the WoT books are on audio. The 2 readers that read these books, a man and a woman are excellent. The books are long though, about 30hours but a nice way to spend your time when doing other things like yardwork and the like. Take a look at your local library and I know they are for sale online and in various walk-in stores albeit they are expensive. I am a big audiobook fan and my audio library is extensive.

Hi, new to DM. I read the first three books when I was a teen, and then forgot about them until a couple of years ago. I have enjoyed re-reading the series a couple of times now, and look forward to reading the final book whenever it comes. I think the only character I really didn't like was Jaret Byar and, unlike many others I have read posts from, I enjoyed Egwene's trial by fire and succession to being Amyrlin. Anyway, thanks to DM for helping fans keep up their interest!