DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who will fight Shaidar Haran?

Andhaira

Gotta return to the Arthurian myth again.

Lan = Lancelot, who arrives just too late to save Arthur.

Which also answers an old, long-standing, squabble around here about who would win in a sword fight, Lan or Rand? Lancelot was the only swordsman ever to best Arthur. And, that was after Arthur acquired Excalibur.

Rand will either send Lan some reinforcements or Nynaeve will have a hissy-cow and commandeer them. Which means Lan will fight his way through Tarwin's Gap and be traveling overland through the Blight to get to Shayol Ghul, while Rand will Gate as close as possible leap-frogging Lan.

Never underestimate the power of the hissy-cow. Especially when Nynaeve is supplying the mega-wattage behind that hissy-cow.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I think maybe it should be Mat, for the simple reason that RJ or BS (not sure anymore, but some one said) that in a way Mat has the Dark Ones luck, and we RJ also confirmed that SH is a shadowy form of the DO....... see where i am getting at? For a time i also had this weird idea that Mat will be the next DO cuz he is actually somehow draining the DO. That theory got squashed when i read there ware going to be books about Mat and Tuon in Seanchan.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta return to the Arthurian myth again.

Lan = Lancelot, who arrives just too late to save Arthur.

Which also answers an old, long-standing, squabble around here about who would win in a sword fight, Lan or Rand? Lancelot was the only swordsman ever to best Arthur. And, that was after Arthur acquired Excalibur.

Rand will either send Lan some reinforcements or Nynaeve will have a hissy-cow and commandeer them. Which means Lan will fight his way through Tarwin's Gap and be traveling overland through the Blight to get to Shayol Ghul, while Rand will Gate as close as possible leap-frogging Lan.

Never underestimate the power of the hissy-cow. Especially when Nynaeve is supplying the mega-wattage behind that hissy-cow.

I like this idea :)

Rand is definiltey very Arhurian...3 in a boat. Clearly Lan = Lancelot/best swordsman in the world.

Minus ta'avern affecting the fight, Lan would finish Rand or LTT for that matter. The new post Moraine Lan would finish Jearom.

Which also answers an old, long-standing, squabble around here about who would win in a sword fight, Lan or Rand?

Wonder why people still squabble over that considering both RJ and BS have given us the answer?

Where did we see that answer?

I would suspect Lan. I mean Rand is good, but Lan is legendary.

That being said, Where does Galad and Gawyn rank. I won't list Mat, because he doesn't use a sword, and a sword vs a quaterstaff doesn't count since that's how he beat Galad and Gawyn (They're idiots basically).

As much as I hate him and hate to say it, I have to give it to Gawyn here. Who else defeats two accomplished warders (Possibly blademasters) with a sword at the same time? Gawyn is a beast.

Lan > Rand (both hands) > Galad > Gawyn

(that's official)

Thanks Terez, BS has backed up RJ's take above as well...

Interview: 2010

Twitter 2009-2010 (WoT) (Verbatim)

sleepinghour (8 November 2010)

Who is the best swordsman in WoT right now? Lan, Galad, or Gawyn?

Brandon Sanderson (8 November 2010)

Lan. Then Galad. Then Gawyn. Gawyn is luckier than he thinks he is.

I always liked the idea of it being Perrin, because of the whole 'an entire pack would die to see one of the Neverborn dead' kind of stuff, and Perrin does have a shiny Shadowspawn-killing hammer.

I was just about to post almost exactly this, it makes so much sense and has been foreshadowed, but Luckers beat me to it. Seems great minds think alike? :P

i'd like to think that it was Mat facing Shaidar Haran, but most likely it will be either Perrin and some packs of wolves or when the DO gets dealt with he will turn into a normal Myrrdrall.

Doesn't Perrin still have to put down Slayer for good?

Rand gets Moridin, Perrin gets Slayer and Mat gets Shaidar Haran. That sounds fair to me.

Remembering what happened to Couladin, I've a feeling things won't be quite that straightforward. Arguably, Rand should have taken out his opponent; but instead Couladin fell to Mat, almost by accident. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like:

Rand / Slayer (that viewing by Min of the two dead men surrounded by Trollocs)

Perrin / Shaidar Haran

Mat / Moridin (when he's finished off Demandred).

Doesn't Perrin still have to put down Slayer for good?

Rand gets Moridin, Perrin gets Slayer and Mat gets Shaidar Haran. That sounds fair to me.

Remembering what happened to Couladin, I've a feeling things won't be quite that straightforward. Arguably, Rand should have taken out his opponent; but instead Couladin fell to Mat, almost by accident. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like:

Rand / Slayer (that viewing by Min of the two dead men surrounded by Trollocs)

Perrin / Shaidar Haran

Mat / Moridin (when he's finished off Demandred).

Couladin was different. He was a regular human being and while Rand's pride may have demanded he settle things personally unless Rand was a complete idiot Couladin stood no chance. A non-channeller against a channeller in a fair fight is just a too uneven match up. Only sheer idiocy could have made it anywhere close to dramatic.

I find those pairings rather unlikely. Mat doesn't have a personal connection to Moridin and Rand doesn't have one to Slayer. What possible drama could there be in a fight between them.

Shaidar Haran is different because he doesn't have a personal connection to anyone, but Slayer and Moridin have clear targets.

As for Demandred my vote goes to Logain. And if not him then Narishma and Merise. Mat killing him just because Demandred is the general of the Shadow just like he is the general of the Light is a really lame reason. Logain is cool enough to deserve a Forsaken kill.

I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not. (There's some way to tell by the icons on the index page, but I don't know what it is. Stars mean you've posted in it? Circles not?) Anyway, I have thought for a long time that it would be Fain. Assuming that Shaidar Haran is truly the Dark One made flesh (minus a few powers), then he and Fain have a bit of a history. And Fain has a special power over Myrddraal. Something needs to distract the Dark One while Rand does his thing, and Fain torturing him through Shaidar Haran seems like a good way to accomplish that. He likes torturing Fades. One can hope he found some gloves. I'm not saying it couldn't be done other ways; I just think that's a good set-up, and not so incredibly Gollum-like as to contradict what Brandon said about it.

It would be ironic if it was Graendal, or Moggy (she got assulted by SH, yeah?). AFAIK, they don't know SH is actually the DO in shadowy form, just a strange, very influential tool of the DO.

Moggy might have a hard time of it being mindtrapped and all, but Graendal will be especially pissed after she has been "punished" by SH at the end of ToM.

And Graendal does have a habit of killing important people for the Shadow. Maybe Rand will actually give her a medal instead of a face full of balefire. :laugh:

Archived