DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who will fight Shaidar Haran?

Andhaira

It has to happen. Shaidar Haran vs one or more of the Heroes.

So who will it be? Rand seems the likely answer. But isn't Rand going to take on Moridin/Ishamel?

From what I recall of Shaidar Haran, he can block channelers from reaching the True Source. So whoever fights him will have to do it with melee weapons. So maybe an Asha'man, like Narishma?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really see Lan killing Shaidar Haran by himself, but seeing this idea did get me thinking and I can see it being Lan + Nyneave. Nyn is notorious for discovering ways of doing what has always been considered impossible.

Lan & SH doing epic battle while Nyn tries impotently to save Lan by killing SH. She gets fed up and starts throwing things at SH with the power, so SH angrily knocks Lan unconscious and comes slowly, menacingly, almost playfully, toward Nyn as she tries again and again to find some way of killing him and nothing works. As SH tortures Nyn, and threatens what he will do to her [like what he's already done to some of the forsaken] Lan comes back to consciousness and runs SH through completely, but SH just turns around, sword hilt still sticking out of his gut, and kicks Lan across the room. Advances on Lan, is about to kill him... then...

I don't know whether it would be to save Lan's live, or to avenge him after his being killed by SH, but somehow I could see Nyn in her rage finding some way of finally killing SH with the power at that point.

This could tie in with the idea I saw someone mention in a separate thread, about Nyn & Lan possibly being HoH & the re-born King & Queen of Manetheren and doing a similar story line of him dying in an extraordinarily heroic battle, then her wreaking massive carnage on the enemy in revenge.

Eh I'd be kind of disappointed if a channeller did somehow manage to take on SH. It'd be nice to see a normal guy do something awesome for a change, and Lan's one of the best when it comes to fighting. Maybe if he teamed up with Galad and Gawyn?

To be honest I think it's very likely Fain will kill him. He's the only other baddie we've seen with non-OP/TP powers after all. But I'd prefer the above situation.

We've seen him block the Source from those sworn to the Dark One....but have we seen him do so for other channelers? Otherwise, I'm not so sure that those who are of the Light can be blocked.I have a sneaky suspicion it's connected with their link with the DO.

I don't know whether it would be to save Lan's live, or to avenge him after his being killed by SH, but somehow I could see Nyn in her rage finding some way of finally killing SH with the power at that point.

I speculated elsewhere that Nynaeve's Well might be a way to get around Shaidar Haran's OP block since RJ said it could be used even if the wearer was shielded. Also, if she's wearing her jewelry set, one of the ter'angreal works as an armor:

She protested, of course, as they walked back down the street toward the bootmaker’s shop. Nynaeve always fought anything she had not thought of herself. “I am just supposed to put you on the roof and wait?” she muttered, scowling left and right so hard that as many people shied away from her as from the men flanking her, swords or no swords. She thrust her hand out from under her cloak to show the bracelet with its pale red stones. “This can cover me with armor better than any steel. I’d hardly even feel a sword hitting me. I thought I would be going inside with you.”

I'm going to be disappointed if we don't get to see that ter'angreal in action. :biggrin: Maybe Aviendha can give her some pointers on its usage.

shaidar haran i don't think could be killed, if you destroy one husk, another will exist inside the same day. i don't think it is special or unique, it is the dark one's hand, and destroying what embodies it wont destroy it. so more than one person may fight this idea, but all those fights would be meaningless so long as there are eyeless to walk into the pit.

Either Rand or Fain, nobody else (beside Moridin) has any chance of killing it.

Lan, no chance whatsoever, even with Nyaneve at his side. While Lan is by far the best blademaster in the series (very likely a match for Jearom, if not a hair better after Moraine's death), he has no chance against a creature such as SH. Lan would get killed via SH wielding the TP and Nynaeve access to the OP would be blocked and it is over.

Perrin+wolf packs would get annihilated unless SH makes an appearance in TAR. SH will use the TP, and I am not sure if typical physical weapons can harm him (a creature that can change his physical form).

Alviarin: "The Source was gone...there was simply nothing for her to embrace". SH was able to incapacitate 3 AS holding Semirhage as well and it appears they had no opportunity to wield the OP.

Likely TP wielder: "but suddenly black fire flashed around her, and she screamed as her clothing fell away in dust".

Shape shifter: "The creature grew at it spoke, swelling in size till its head brushed the ceiling, over two spans up...the darkness of it seemed to drink the light from the room".

Since Rand's transformation in book 12, I don't think someone like SH can block his access to the Power. With his channeling abilities increased beyond the typical range (see Maradon), Rand should be a match for SH.

Fain with his new abilities is the perfect opposite of SH, this could be a possible double KO scenario if they ever come to blows.

Moridin, the loyal lapdog turning against the Shadow and destroying SH is unlikely. Would it even be possible for Moridin? SH may have the ability to block TP access as well.

There's an interesting item in SH's PoV in ACoS40, when he feels weak, puts it down to being too long away from SG, and wants to sever that tie. Now if they can keep him from Travelling back home, that might weaken him to the point where he could be destroyed. Problem is.. how do you stop a Myrrdraal from Travelling?

I think that the final battle card will line up like this:

Rand - Moridin and Fain

Mat - Demandred (mostly as opposing generals)

Perrin - Slayer

Nynaeve - Moghedien

Egwene - Graendal

Lan, Galad, Gawyn - Shadar Haran

I think Aviendha will go up against Graendal - she really hasn't had her big fight scene yet. I get the impression she will fight someone important but everyone I can think of are either too weak (like a dark friend Bair or Amys) or too strong (like Graendal). It is more likely she will lead a circle of Aiel Wise Women to fight Graendal than fight a bunch of dark friend Wise Women.

As far as the Shadar Haran fight, I think it will be Fain. I say this not because I believe no one else can take SH, but because Fain still has a part to play and I am not sure he would even be able to attack Rand while Rand was fighting anyone. Dark friends can't seem to tolerate his radiance when he channels.

It could be Lan, Galad, Gawyn + every other blademaster in the world (minus Rand) and they would get annihilated against SH. Anyway, I'd wager 3/4 of them would run in fear or freeze from its stare, easy kills even without using the TP. It will not be a pretty sight.

I suspect that SH is some type of Avatar for a part of the DO. KoD: "You will find who threatens MY CREATURES here and deliver them to me".

The Forsaken have no fear of regular Myddraaal's stare, but even the likes of Semirhage has difficulty controlling her fears around it.

"As far as the Shadar Haran fight, I think it will be Fain." I hope so, that will be an epic fight.

But Fain can't be a match for Shaidar Haran. I mean, sure Fain can cause pain with a touch, but in order to do that he has to touch his victim. Shaidar Haran will simply blast him into ashes with black fire. Heck, we don't even know if SH can feel pain.

OTOH, Fain does have a reputation established in earlier books of dominating Fades. So who knows, there could be something to the SH vs Fain theory.

Personally, if it does happen, I hope SH destroy's Fain with hardly any effort. Then, a bunch of Asha'man unite and take out Fain. Many die in the process.

It cannot be a channeler. Shadiar Haran seems to have some nasty tricks up his sleeve to deal with channelers, the DO would not leave him without one. While he has complete control over people who are sworn to the DO, he probably could do some serious damage to ones that are not. Fain would be interesting. At this point, he cannot even touch Fades without them dying. So it would be a toss up to see who wins.

But Fain can't be a match for Shaidar Haran. I mean, sure Fain can cause pain with a touch, but in order to do that he has to touch his victim. Shaidar Haran will simply blast him into ashes with black fire. Heck, we don't even know if SH can feel pain.

OTOH, Fain does have a reputation established in earlier books of dominating Fades. So who knows, there could be something to the SH vs Fain theory.

Personally, if it does happen, I hope SH destroy's Fain with hardly any effort. Then, a bunch of Asha'man unite and take out Fain. Many die in the process.

Fain per se will kill no one. He is a chicken man and without Mashadar, he will be dead in a second. Mashadar on the other hand will be too much for SH to handle. I doubt anything less than balefire can destroy it.

Archived