DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gawyn...

Viezael

Well RJ made a quite a point of Gawyns inferiority in face of his elder half-brother. Always standing in his shadow. Galad had better looks, had a talent in commanding men to follow his banner (also explains his quick ascent in the Whitecloaks), is a better fighter, more learned and intelligent. Also standing more for justice and being a stickler for rules to an extreme. Of course this led to Gawyn to become a bit more shy and in the shadow of Galad at least in the beginning of the book.

I wonder if this had a purpose, perhaps RJ wants a tragic showdown between the two brothers?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, that would be good in the closure sence. Yet the whitecloaks know that TG is coming and was there not a mention of a temp alliance witht the TV "witches"? That being said, unless Galad attacks Egwene or the AS I dont see that battle forming, especially when both are needed in TG. If anything for Trollock fodder.

Mmm. Gawyn too has changed alot since he and Galad last met. i too dont see it being an issue.

As for Gawyn and Egwenes relationship... Gawyn will be with Andors army, of course... but then the likelyhood of them being together during in Tarmon Gai'don is limited anyway. Following Elaynes need for a First Prince of the sword is not great... say he goes to work every day at Caemlyn, and comes home at night... its just a step a way. I commute longer then that.

You didnt say How. Obviously they would meet in TAR or Egwene would travel there, but wouldnt there be consequences for their relationship. She is Armlyin and has to be diplomatic to other nations but if she has a husband or worse, some steamy affair, with Gwayn that could be bad from the WT POV. Thats why I think it wont happen. He will be injured saving Egwene and she cant be able to return his affections so long as she is Armlyin. Unless...is there a way around this?

You didnt say How. Obviously they would meet in TAR or Egwene would travel there, but wouldnt there be consequences for their relationship. She is Armlyin and has to be diplomatic to other nations but if she has a husband or worse, some steamy affair, with Gwayn that could be bad from the WT POV. Thats why I think it wont happen. He will be injured saving Egwene and she cant be able to return his affections so long as she is Armlyin. Unless...is there a way around this?

I actually thin the Amyrlin being married would be good for the Tower... there needs to be a change in the skewed gender construction. And if Gawyn later became an Asha'men...

While in context I realized that you meant "Salidar Aes Sedai", when I first saw that I thought "There are no British Special Forces in the WoT."

Thats what they want you to think.

but why would she hate Rand if Galad killed him - :-?

I also think that if one of the medium size characters has to go it will be him. I feel sorry for Ewgene but it is quite likely.

As for liking Gawyn - don't know. First liked him - like when he finds Rand in their garden. Then hated him for helping to bring down Siuan.

And know i feel sorry for him - since everyone is using him and he gets more and more angry for all the wrong resons since he does not know half of what is happened.

Someone needs to tell him! Or he will get himself killed rather quickly.

I feel sorry for Gawyn. He thinks his mum has been killed, he can't find his sister who he swore to protect, his girlfriend has been spirited away to who knows where (i don't think he knows she's back in the WT, correct me if i'm wrong), he felt he had to kill his mentors and was forced to let the woman he blamed for everything go, thanks to Min. And on top of all that, he is being used by practically every Aes Sedai he runs into!

Poor kid!

(i've yet to reread the knife of dreams so i can't remember if any of the above has been updated yet)

I'm not sure where I stand on Gawyn dying but I'll try to explain what I think Robert means. Now hang on this is twisted logic but I like that sort. Gawyn attacks Rand cuz of his hatred about his sister and his mother, Galad always does what is right and having the DragonReborn live is right. Galad then kills Gawyn cuz he won't stop and Egwene is pissed cuz Gawyn's death can be laid at Rand's feet.

Second, Gawyn is first prince of the sword but Min's viewing indicates that it may not fall out that way.

Why have Galad do it? Why not simply have Rand kill Gawyn?

On a seperate note, we have seen many visitions of Gawyn making choices... one that controls wether Egwene lives or dies, and one that controls wether Gawyn lives or dies. What if they are the one choice, with opposite roles. For Egwene to live, Gawyn must die, and for Gawyn to live, Egwene must die. A single choice--one which i think will have nothing to do with saving himself or Egwene.

Another seperate thought, what if he sparks on the day of the Seanchan attack. What if he channels and in channeling saves Egwene. It would fit the prophecy, and make sense with what we know of sparking.

I dunno about that. That would fit the utter wackyness of prophecy. If anyone would kill Rand it is Galad. Always doing what is right. The whitecloaks hate channeling and he is one of them. Soon to prevent himself from going mad he will leave the white cloaks. His battle is with the shadow. Gwayn, well he..., well umm.... I GOT IT! He will do some menial and unimportant things and die in obscurity. I like that. *nods* In all seriousness though he cant really do some huge thing. He is a mid character and it would be weird if he did something that shoved him to hero status. I really have no hard feelings for the character(hes been through a lot) but he just cant have that big of a part. :idea: :idea: :idea: Unless he finds out Egwene is in the tower under diress and trys to free her. He will die and she will live maybe? That could happen he seems to not think all that well when he does stuff(like I dunno deposing Suian)

Gawyn will be trying to kill rand to avenge hi mother because he is a thick-headed fool. (I pitty the fool. :lol: )

Rand will be knocked out or something because he wil be "hurt" for the second time by woman who can channel.

Galad will be there, and tickles Gawyn to death (with his sword).

but why would she hate Rand if Galad killed him

Because in the scenario mentioned, Galad killed him to protect Rand.

The whole thing is silly though. If Rand was really threatened by either of them, he would kill them with the Power, or the Maidens would swarm them, or an Asha'man would kill them ... its just not going to happen. Actually, Jordan is reported to have said at a book signing that Galad vs Rand is never going to happen (and no, I don't have the source conveniently handy, and I don't care enough to go look for it, feel free to disbelieve my memory), and in the books themselves Gawyn promises Egwene he would not to kill Rand. So sorry, Rand vs. potential brothers-in-law (and half-brother, hows that for proof Jordan's from the south :D ) is never going to happen. They all have more important things to do.

I think Gawyn would take Galad in a one-on-one fight anyway! But it'd probably be the best swordfight we've seen in the series so far!

Not that I think its gonna happen.............

But from all we read in the book Galads fighting skills were always superior, now if by mischance Galad would trip over a stone while fighting maybe then Gawyn would be victor. Otherwise I would safely stick my bet on Galad.

Yet Gawyn managed to kill his and Galads teachers!

During the take over someone makes a comment about everybody thinking Galad was the more dangerous of the two brothers and how they may be wrong. Errrrrrr I found it,

"That might be a good idea," Leane said "I always thought Galad was the more dangerous of those two, but I am no longer sure. Hammar and Coulin...." She shivered.

I know it doesnt say Gawyn is better and really isnt any proof at all, I just think Galad would hesitate before striking Gawyn down where as Gawyn seems to have become cold! And it would fit better if both brothers died, which they surely would if Gawyn killed Galad!

"where as Gawyn seems to have become cold!" /quote]

I agree - I think Gawyn is the only "good" guy who we have seen kill other good and noble people. I'm wondering what it will do to Ewgene when she finds out - especially with her close friendship to Siuan.

Yet Gawyn managed to kill his and Galads teachers!

During the take over someone makes a comment about everybody thinking Galad was the more dangerous of the two brothers and how they may be wrong. Errrrrrr I found it' date='

"That might be a good idea," Leane said "I always thought Galad was the more dangerous of those two, but I am no longer sure. Hammar and Coulin...." She shivered.

I know it doesnt say Gawyn is better and really isnt any proof at all, I just think Galad would hesitate before striking Gawyn down where as Gawyn seems to have become cold! And it would fit better if both brothers died, which they surely would if Gawyn killed Galad![/quote']

I don't think so. Galad is easily as cold as Gawyn. Don't forget that Galad also has more experience. (older, steadier)

Archived