DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gawyn...

Viezael

Does everyone hate him? I love him. Almost all of the sections of the book with him in it, I like him or feel sorry for him. Yet, everyone seems to hate him and wants him to die in AMOL. So, just out of curiosity--do all of you hate him? If so, why--and why do you think he'll die? :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate him? Not at all, I just think he's an idiot. And I mostly hope he dies because I like Egwene, and she deserves way better than that little brat.

I don't hate him- I actually like his character alot...it doesn't mean i like "HIM" alot, but his character is great. He's a bit impulsive and immature, but he definately sticks to his convictions. I really like watching him struggle w/ all of his internal conflicts about Rand / Morgase / Egwene / The White Tower, etc....plus, how about the back and forth between wondering who is actually the better swordsman, Gawyn or Galad?- I think it was finally proven when Gawyn lead the younglings to take over Tar Valon and he single-handedly killed Hammar and Coulin...Very impressive- I dont agree with it, and i think he also feels bad, but he did what he thought was right to keep the Tower whole- there is something very respectable about that.

On another note, i'm dying to see what happens to him at the end of the book in regard to the viewings:

TSR,Ch1 - Min has viewings of Gawyn - streaks of dried blood had made his face a grim mask. He was going to be wounded on the day the Aes Sedai died. He was going to be hurt more than the blood told, hurt somehow deeper than wounds to his flesh. That bloody mask again. More: a sword floated above his head, and a banner waved behind it. The long-hilted sword, like those most Warders used, had a heron engraved on its slightly curved blade, symbol of a blademaster, and Min could not say whether it belonged to Gawyn or threatened him. The banner bore Gawyn's sigil of the charging White Boar, but on a field of green rather than the red of Andor.

Does everyone hate him? I love him. Almost all of the sections of the book with him in it' date=' I like him or feel sorry for him. Yet, everyone seems to hate him and wants him to die in AMOL. So, just out of curiosity--do all of you hate him? If so, why--and why do you think he'll die? :)[/quote']

Of course not.

There's a chance that he might yet impale Egwene on his sword.

I think a lot could have been done with Gawyn had he been used better. So far we have seen no established male character aside from Rand start to channel, and i think Gawyn would be in a perfect position to explore that given his relationships with Rand, Egwene and Elayne, and his political positions. And awesome things could have been made from his hatred of Rand combined with an ability to channel.

Gawyn has always been a poor second fiddle character. He took a back seat to Elayne when they were introduced. Then when he went to the Tower he always seemed to be the little boy who tagged along with the "great" Galad. When he finally got his moment to shine during Elaida's take over, he was pushed away into obscurity with his only role being to help Min and co get away. I fear if he does survive the Last Battle, he's going to find himself as Egwene's manslave. Poor man.

I think a lot could have been done with Gawyn had he been used better. So far we have seen no established male character aside from Rand start to channel' date=' and i think Gawyn would be in a perfect position to explore that given his relationships with Rand, Egwene and Elayne, and his political positions. And awesome things could have been made from his hatred of Rand combined with an ability to channel.[/quote']

Very interesting idea!

I hadn't thought of that one but it would be perfect. I too feel that he has been neglected thus far in the story. His character has great potential but he has been ignored for the most part.

*** quote doesnt seem to be working...

Guest cwestervelt

Do I hate him? No. Do I like him? No. Do I consider him under-utilized and neglected? No.

If anything, I consider Gawyn a character that never should have been introduced. Galad could easily have filled both roles.

Guest cwestervelt

Not that far of a stretch. He was pretty far gone on Egwene before leaving the Tower. A big part of why he became a Whitecloak is he felt it the right thing to do in response to Siuan's misuse of both Elayne and Egwene. The same reason that Gawyn sided with Elaida when Siuan was deposed.

I don't think Gawyn's role could be pulled off by Galad's character alone. That said, I think Gawyn always being pushed down and his poor second fiddle character will provide excellent motivation for actions we will see by him in MoL. I think we might see a turncoat in Gawyn.

I too think Gawyn is a very interesting character and I agree that he could go either way but I don't think he will become a Dark Friend. Example, to the best of our knowledge Eliada is not Black yet see has tried do the Dragon Reborn and other critical figures of the Light great injury, just as I believe Gawyn could. Even if Elayne and Morgase were placed in front him he could still try to kill Rand for Andor's problems and Elayne's love for Rand and pregnancy may only exsarcerbate the situation. Then there is the fact that he may still kill Egwene, that boy has some serious emotional issues to deal with and I think could take either road without being a Darkfriend.

just my thoughts

lol.. I wish Egwene and Rand not had broke up.. I think that would be the best relationship..

SOunds like you need to read all the books first. Get out of here. :lol:

I hope Gawyn dies, simply because in his povs, he seems to be so uber in fighting, but actually Mat would pwn him easily. I bet Perrin or Rand could too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Gawyn would be the perfect character to bring the White Tower, the Black Tower, Rand and Andor all back together.

He is currently located near the Black tower being someone in the plains just to the east of Andor. I could see him captured by the Black Tower. Find out that he can channel.

This gives the Black Tower a way to the White Tower through Egwene.

A way to link the Black Tower to Andor through Elayne.

And makes him much more sympathetic to Rand being able to channel.

I think he has a lot of potential and personally I would love to see him come back in a big way.

Nelm

Where does it say that he is located near the Black Tower? I thought he was still in the White Tower. If that is so I would assume that as Egwene gains sisters to her side he will be there for her and she will finaly bond him.

What annoys me about hims is the he goes on earlier in the books about how he is the First Prince to the Sword for Elayne and when she needs him, he isnt there. Maybe the tower is keeping the info on what is going on with Elayne from him, but I was pissed when he didnt come to her aid.

Personally I haven´t forgiven him for supporting Elaida. If he hadn´t led the students against the warders, Siuan would have been freed and Elaida stilled. The whole mess with the broken tower is his fault. I know that Egwene is probably going to bond him as a warder and live happily ever after, bla bla bla, but that doesn´t stop me from wishing that he will die horribly....

I believe that Gawyn Trakand is nearby to the White Tower but far enough away to prevent anyone from seeing him or his Younglings,,, and if I am not mistaken he is no longer alied with Elaida, she has tried to have him killed 2 times now and the last time was when he returned to Tar Valon with the Younglings and the Aes Sedai he rescued,,, so if that is right then he is waiting to see who is who and what is what...

I believe he will get connected with Egwene at some time...

But I could be wrong about him being aware that Elaida tried to kill him and what his ententions are, it has been a while since I last read about him...

I had supposed Egwene would here about where he was hiding and go straight away to him and Bond him as her Warder...

also,,, I thought Galad was Elayne's Captain of Swords.

Gawyn is a great Character. Also I agree that his being able to channel would be awsome for his storyline. That being said, is he too old for those effects to start, and if so did RJ hide the previous effects in past books? One thing I am possitive about is he is the only unimportant character that will live in TG. The only character not directly associated with the main folks to make it. He will not be Egwenes warder I believe though. Having responsibilities to Andor would prevent that straight off.(unless he finds a way to shirk them) He will have an affair with Egwene I imagine but the will just be friends. Now the key is Andor here after that theres a whole can of worms. After all duty is like a mountain...

You sure? With Egwene stuck in TV and Gwayn in Andor, travel or no that relationship will be rocky at best. I just think it will be one of those behind the scenes ones if it can happen. That would not help Egwene if people knew she was sneeking around with Eylanes brother. Just kinda wierd aint it? If it happens Rand and Egwene will be related after all! *Cackles*

Archived