DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand doing the impossible

so wasnt there supposed to be 9 immpossible things that rand was to do based on a fortelling by nicola. well i belive that in the end of tgs during the whole veins of gold going on and what not. he was on the top of dragonmount wich from a story told to him by tam was immpossible (the story was told by rand to nyveane a few chapters b4 it ). so thats one of the 9

he cleansed the taint wich i think was probbally immpossible to most ppl so thats 2 of the 9

he channeled the true power wich should be immposible since he either doesnt have permission and or only the foresaken can use it

thats 3 of the 9

taking the stone although it was more mat and the aiel doing this he just took callandor so i guess 4 of the 9

come back from the dead immpossible

kill the dark one immpossible

i think he will some how get his hand back immpossible

so what do you think the 9 impossible things are going to be? or already have been ?

and i know this has been discussed b4 i just typed this all out lol with a semblence of order for once so im posting it any ways hahahahah

Most of these "foretellings" are untrustworthy. And what do you think of Maradon? By the way, foretellings refer to the future, so the Stone is not one of them. And I don't believe he's going to kill the Dark One. Neither do I believe he will get his hand back. Can you, by the way, use capitals, comma's and full stops? It makes it much better readable for other people.

I have always been certain that it was simply a manner of speech, ie the Aes Sedai in question made a (somewhat annoyed) reference to Nicola claiming to have Foretellings all the time. We have a strong indication that Nicola lied about some of them, in order to be seen as more valuable, and thus advance her training.

So chances that there is a list of nine specific "impossible things are indeed very, very small. So small that it is safe to assume it does not actually exist.

What he did with the apples is impossible. The bags of potatoes etc, only statistically astronomical.

What happened to darkfriends mind at Maradon, likely classed as an impossible event.

The Light that Nynaeve sees in his mind...could be impossible as well, holding back the taint.

I have a hunch that he may come back from the dead in AmoL. The most atonishing events will be AmoL. How will he seal the bore for good? How will deal with Fain, Shadar Haran, Moridin, the rest of the Forsaken?

Guess:

Fain will run away at end of AMoL, instead of still trying to kill him, his evil has to stagnate until the Bore is opened again (or alternately the Bore could be open to fight his brand of evil)

DO will be imprisoned in good prison, not killed

What he did with the apples is impossible. The bags of potatoes etc, only statistically astronomical.

What happened to darkfriends mind at Maradon, likely classed as an impossible event.

The Light that Nynaeve sees in his mind...could be impossible as well, holding back the taint.

I have a hunch that he may come back from the dead in AmoL. The most atonishing events will be AmoL. How will he seal the bore for good? How will deal with Fain, Shadar Haran, Moridin, the rest of the Forsaken?

LTT was also "one with the land". So the trick with the apples would be expected of the Dragon from the pattern's perspective. I doubt the fortelling means "impossible" things from Nicola's perspective.

I actually think the 9 impossible things is a real prophesy, and read it as 'he will do 9 impossible things in his life' as apposed to 'he will do 9 impossible things starting frooooommmm......now'

1) touch the sword that cannot be touched

2) get to the top of dragonmount?

3) appear in the sky

4) cleanse the taint

5) the apples?

6) reintegrate with LTT?

7) find the eye?

8) reseal the DO?

9) kill forsaken?

10) kill Mashadar?

11) project himself into TaR?

12) bodyswap?

who knows what they all could be, I'm sure he has done many things that could be sufficient to be called impossible

I like to think that this foretelling was a lie considering Rand being able to do 9 impossible things is by definition well you know impossible. Of course it could be as DemandredFO suggests and Nicola foretold 9 specific events and the AS discounted them because to their knowledge they were impossible, but i like the idea of her lying as it fits with her doing anything to further her personal goals.

well yah i guess the stone was kinda in the past and plus is was more mat and the aiel like i said

but as for grammar and all that stop worrying on how i spell or not spell

if the admins didnt like it they wouldnt let me post dont you think

At first I was annoyed at this post and the first, but then I noticed your name. Maybe it's because I'm lit as well right now but I can't stop laughing.

Thank you, sir.

LTT was also "one with the land". So the trick with the apples would be expected of the Dragon from the pattern's perspective. I doubt the fortelling means "impossible" things from Nicola's perspective.

The prophecy refers to the DR not the Dragon. Has LTT being able to do this? Possibly. However, aside from the DR, no other taa'vern has exhibited this ability.

Here is the prophecy from ACoS Glossary: "There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon REBORN, and he is one with the land" (emphasis added).

The DR has moved beyond his abilities in AoL and we have a lot of evidence of this (e.g. Light in his mind, Avienhda's children, likely ability to break through shields held by circles of 13 or possible 2 circles of 13, Maradon/DF's minds, apples and so forth).

Breaking through a shield of 13 would be one of those impossible things.

CoT: "Amyrlin imprisoned, the Dragon Reborn doing nine IMPOSSIBLE things".

The "9 impossible things" is NOT directly quoted Foretelling at all. It's just Janya complaining about Nicola spouting "Foretelling" left and right, most of them heard second hand if that (because Nicola herself cannot remember the real ones). Janya just gives examples of possible vague Foretellings that anyone with can come up with.

"...she’s been Foretelling two or three times a day, to hear her tell it. Or rather, to hear Areina tell it. Nicola is smart enough to know everyone is aware she can’t remember what she says when she Foretells, but Areina always seems to be there to hear and remember, and help her interpret. Some are the sort of thing anyone in the camp with half a brain and a credulous nature might think of—battles with the Seanchan or the Asha’man, an Amyrlin imprisoned, the Dragon Reborn doing nine impossible things, visions that might be Tarmon Gai’don or a bilious stomach."

there is nothing impossible going on.

if a forsaken attacked the dragon as he was in his weakened state after maradon then no amount of light in his head would have saved him

rand will not kill the DO. He's not a god.

when the last battle comes his job is very simple. undo the bore, push the dark one back and allow the pattern to heal itself

i fall on the nine impossible things being a true prophesy, if only because it was slipped in like an after thought and take the time reference as his life as obvious.

1. Born of a maiden (links to real world myths support this one)

2. channeling clean saidin (just a thought about the eye)

3. flying (?) (Can we call it flying? he did fight in the air)

4. touching the sword that cannot be touched (the name says it all)

5. causing it to rain in the waste (avi's reaction)

6. defeating forsaken (just because at the beginning they were such boggy men)

7. cleansing the taint (stated often as impossible)

8. dying and living again (ditto)

9. sealing the bore (debate rages weather he can seal the bore precisly because it is thought impossible)

and yes, some people do equate the appearance of intellegence with the real thing. like children using big words for the first time, but as communication is the overriding aim...let those without fault throw the first stone...and all that :laugh: .

Nice topic by the way.

I'm not talking about the biological order of mankind, i'm writing a list of possible impossible things that rand al'thor, a character in the WoT may or may not have done, i also thought it amusing that the first person to comment on the punctuation of the post made a grammatical mistake.

As for first impressions... :rolleyes:

if a forsaken attacked the dragon as he was in his weakened state after maradon then no amount of light in his head would have saved him

when the last battle comes his job is very simple. undo the bore, push the dark one back and allow the pattern to heal itself

After his enlightenment at Dragonmount, he is the closest thing to a God in WoT...and I suspect like Jesus, he will be resurrected in AMOL.

If the job is simple, then even someone like Egwene would be able to do it...alas she is once again clueless. Even the AS in AoL had no concrete ideas until LTT stepped up.

To fight a being such as Shai'tan, you had to be God level, to fight something like Shadar Haran (who easily rapes the likes of Grandael, Messana and would rape anyone possibly beside Fain for that matter) yes, close to god level once again.

Fain? Let's not forget TP Ishamael. Who besides Jesus Rand can stand up to such beings? That is correct. Nobody.

After his enlightenment at Dragonmount, he is the closest thing to a God in WoT...and I suspect like Jesus, he will be resurrected in AMOL.

If the job is simple, then even someone like Egwene would be able to do it...alas she is once again clueless. Even the AS in AoL had no concrete ideas until LTT stepped up.

To fight a being such as Shai'tan, you had to be God level, to fight something like Shadar Haran (who easily rapes the likes of Grandael, Messana and would rape anyone possibly beside Fain for that matter) yes, close to god level once again.

Fain? Let's not forget TP Ishamael. Who besides Jesus Rand can stand up to such beings? That is correct. Nobody.

i know you love rand but c'mon man? jeez. rand against shaitan? if the shaitan was free completely and not stuck behind a prison with a tiny hole in it, you think your lord dragon would match him? he is not a god. Hell give callandor to a bloke like asmodean and he would take out rand before you know it.

he's simply a powerful male chaneller with super tavern abilities. And the reason LTT made his made dash to his desperate act was because he was getting his ass kicked by his former buddies in battle. some godly general that is. He couldn't even protect the areas where CK was held. His plan was flawed and the women were right to ridcule his plan. Joining him would have made it gameover.

and the current 2.0 is still reduced to asking his lover for some tips ins sealing the bore.

Rand will seal the bore simply because he's a super taveren. Only he has the ability to speed the healing process of the pattern around shayol ghul.

i know you love rand but c'mon man? jeez. rand against shaitan? if the shaitan was free completely and not stuck behind a prison with a tiny hole in it, you think your lord dragon would match him? he is not a god. Hell give callandor to a bloke like asmodean and he would take out rand before you know it.

he's simply a powerful male chaneller with super tavern abilities. And the reason LTT made his made dash to his desperate act was because he was getting his ass kicked by his former buddies in battle. some godly general that is. He couldn't even protect the areas where CK was held. His plan was flawed and the women were right to ridcule his plan. Joining him would have made it gameover.

and the current 2.0 is still reduced to asking his lover for some tips ins sealing the bore.

Rand will seal the bore simply because he's a super taveren. Only he has the ability to speed the healing process of the pattern around shayol ghul.

Come on, you can do better than that?

Yawns.

And yet you know as well as anyone else that Rand is going to beat Shai'tan in whatever form the encounter comes. When it comes. He'll probably die in that encounter, granted. Because he isnt on the same level. But however it turns out, we arent going to have read through 14 books to watch Rand not do what he needs to.

So theres no point even saying Rand isnt on the same level. God or no God, he is as close as he needs to be.

And yet you know as well as anyone else that Rand is going to beat Shai'tan in whatever form the encounter comes. When it comes. He'll probably die in that encounter, granted. Because he isnt on the same level. But however it turns out, we arent going to have read through 14 books to watch Rand not do what he needs to.

So theres no point even saying Rand isnt on the same level. God or no God, he is as close as he needs to be.

As Elan said, all the Dragon has to do is keep the DO back while the bore is fixed, filled, mended, patched... whatever. That's very different than going super saiyan to fight an actual God one on one.

It'd be like the DO is reaching through the bore with a whole arm (once the seals are broken and we're back to where we were pre-sealing). That arm is capable of ripping it open further, maybe all the way, Rand needs to keep that from happening, hopefully push it back through the bore, then seal it up. And he may die just doing that...

I mean if he needed to be a godly powerful, he wouldn't have destroyed the Choden Kal.

As Elan said, all the Dragon has to do is keep the DO back while the bore is fixed, filled, mended, patched... whatever. That's very different than going super saiyan to fight an actual God one on one.

It'd be like the DO is reaching through the bore with a whole arm (once the seals are broken and we're back to where we were pre-sealing). That arm is capable of ripping it open further, maybe all the way, Rand needs to keep that from happening, hopefully push it back through the bore, then seal it up. And he may die just doing that...

I mean if he needed to be a godly powerful, he wouldn't have destroyed the Choden Kal.

To beat even Shai'tan, the DR does not need the CK. He is going to bitch slap Shai'tan back into its hole.

Imagine if someone like Egwene was going to face Shai'tan...if the a'dam made her terrified out of her mind...Complete disaster even with the female CK. Sudder the thought.

Guys, the Rand vs Egwene crap is getting annoying. I enjoy debating, that's most of what I do on these forums, but you guys are seriously taking things too far. Entreri, stop baiting Elan. Elan, stop taking the bait.

I'm of mind to agree with LazyMonk on this one. I think the number nine was chosen somewhat at random to describe the numerous "foretellings" about Rand given by Nicola.

Archived