DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will Egwene do at FOM?

XXX

Rand explains it..they need to break the seals at the time of the light's choosing or else the Dark will run them ragged and when the final seal is broken by the DO the light side will be in no position to fight.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rand explains it..they need to break the seals at the time of the light's choosing or else the Dark will run them ragged and when the final seal is broken by the DO the light side will be in no position to fight.

Yes, _I_ understand that. But he didn't tell Egwene anything.

And that doesn't mean breaking them now will ensure that they win if they're not yet ready to fight. Which is what Egwene's protest is about, given she offered to plan. We have no evidence the DO doesn't want the seals broken now.

So while later might be worse for the light, the DO may be cool with going now too.

They will both sit down and argue their cases. No matter how good Rands arguments are for breaking the seals Egwnene will oppose him, not because of arrogance or stupidity, but due to the compulsion Aran'gar(sp) placed upon Egwnene(after all that is the only thing the Forsaken seem able to do) Egwene will b compelled to oppose the Dragon on everything. The AS, who have been dragged into Rands ta'veren whirlpool, will have to decide whether to go with DR or stick with their newly appointed Amyrlin. Division caused early in the book. News of the attacks on the different cities(i refuse to believe that Caemlyn is the only 1 being attacked) will filter thru, different armies will go to different locations with nothing agreed upon for certain.

then later in the book..... Nynaeve and an Asha'man will find some super way to heal compulsion, by linking, that restores the victim to full sanity, because we can't have 1 of the super girls being permanently incapacitated.

Never mind Compulsion. I'm beginning to wonder if Eg was 13*13'd..

I'm still not sold on Eqwene's Compulsion, especially to oppose Rand, she seems annoyed at his actions in the last few books but not quite intense enough to be from Compulsion. Since the shadow did want Egwene to be the rebel leader it is possible that Arangar's Compulsion was to make her totally convinced that she was the Amyrilyn no matter what (as we see her not waver in her captivity in the tower.) But Arangar doesn't give anything away about what she did to Egwene. (not that I've seen). Or about her being turned to the shadow, which is doubtful with the POV we have seen from her. Thoughts? :blush:

This is nuts. Why is it so hard to believe she just doesn't have any reason to think Rand is correct? And what does the DO gain by keeping the seals whole? Do you think the DO is scared to be free?

Confused :ph34r: Me or them :happy: I pretty much agree with you, the simple answer is usually correct. RJ is good at getting us worked up about something then dropping the obvious on us. :biggrin:

If you don't mind discussing further what makes you think that?

Just a passing thought.. She's gone way over the top with wanting people to 'do her will', and she even thinks the Pattern's got it wrong! (ToM14, p 210-211)

@Didgya: Halima's efforts to do whatever-it-was-she-did to Egwene were cut a bit short, so she didn't complete the job.

As a side note can their be anything more painful than a threadjack between Elan and XXX? Egwene puny, Egwene die! Rand stupid, Rand crazy! Scintillating debate folks.

The Last Battle right here, folks..

Just a passing thought.. She's gone way over the top with wanting people to 'do her will', and she even thinks the Pattern's got it wrong! (ToM14, p 210-211)

That is completely in character for Egwene, though. She has always been the most arrogant character in the books, always convinced that she - and only she - knows what's right, is the only one who should be allowed to break rules and stomp all over everyone without consequence, and is the one who should be telling everyone else what to do. Her quest for control of everything and everyone started with her crappy attitude toward Rand and Nynaeve (Rand was always stupid and worthless in her eyes and Nynaeve was someone she wanted to totally humiliate and control) and just leaked over onto everyone else once she became Amyrlin, mainly because she sees it as her right to force everyone to her will (yet, somehow, the same did not apply to Elaida, despite her having actions that mirrored Elaida's perfectly).

It's amusing to me that this narcissistic, tyrannical attitude was shown as being unacceptable in Rand, yet we're somehow supposed to approve of it when Egwene is the one behaving this way. And have no doubts, RJ (and now BS) fully intend for us to approve of this behavior in Egwene (including her attitude that the supposed love of her life is to never offer an opinion or think for himself and, instead, should just mindlessly obey her every order and exist merely to kiss her arrogant ass for eternity). What kills me most is that NO ONE ever calls her on her attitude, yet Rand got fed a constant ration of sh!t from day one from almost everyone around him anytime he didn't behave with humility (i.e., kissing AS butt) and refused to obey every woman who rudely pushed him around.

That is completely in character for Egwene, though. She has always been the most arrogant character in the books, always convinced that she - and only she - knows what's right, is the only one who should be allowed to break rules and stomp all over everyone without consequence, and is the one who should be telling everyone else what to do. Her quest for control of everything and everyone started with her crappy attitude toward Rand and Nynaeve (Rand was always stupid and worthless in her eyes and Nynaeve was someone she wanted to totally humiliate and control) and just leaked over onto everyone else once she became Amyrlin, mainly because she sees it as her right to force everyone to her will (yet, somehow, the same did not apply to Elaida, despite her having actions that mirrored Elaida's perfectly).

It's amusing to me that this narcissistic, tyrannical attitude was shown as being unacceptable in Rand, yet we're somehow supposed to approve of it when Egwene is the one behaving this way. And have no doubts, RJ (and now BS) fully intend for us to approve of this behavior in Egwene (including her attitude that the supposed love of her life is to never offer an opinion or think for himself and, instead, should just mindlessly obey her every order and exist merely to kiss her arrogant ass for eternity). What kills me most is that NO ONE ever calls her on her attitude, yet Rand got fed a constant ration of sh!t from day one from almost everyone around him anytime he didn't behave with humility (i.e., kissing AS butt) and refused to obey every woman who rudely pushed him around.

Moir had all his clothes burned in tGH and forced him to wear the fancy coats so that he wouldn't look too humble. Yeah, people gave him shit for it because he was being selfish and refused to accept what was evident for a long time. If he had accepted what he was earlier, and embraced it the way Egwene has,he may not have been so troubled.

Your hyperbole does your arguments no justice. "Tyrannical" head of a parliament... yeah whatever

Your hyperbole does your arguments no justice. "Tyrannical" head of a parliament... yeah whatever

And your insistence on ignoring text does YOURS no justice. Go read ToM, where Egwene repeated states that everyone must obey her. All that is important to her is having people do what she orders. So yes, she is tyrannical because she wants absolute, unquestioned authority over everyone, including - and especially - her friends. If you want another term for her, then I suppose "despot" may be more fitting.

That she wants to be a "Light-serving" despot does not change what she is. But I'm sure you and all the other Egwene sycophants will somehow justify her desire for everyone to blindly obey her. That's why most of the time I don't bother responding to any of you.

Her quest for control of everything and everyone started with her crappy attitude toward Rand and Nynaeve (Rand was always stupid and worthless in her eyes

Actually in the early books her attitude towards Rand was very caring. When she first learned he could channel she went out of her way to show how much she cared and would support him(unlike Mat) not matter what. Given the TR's view on channeling period, let alone male channelers this was a pretty huge show of character.

Her quest for control of everything and everyone started with her crappy attitude toward Rand and Nynaeve (Rand was always stupid and worthless in her eyes

Actually in the early books her attitude towards Rand was very caring. When she first learned he could channel she went out of her way to show how much she cared and would support him(unlike Mat) not matter what. Given the TR's view on channeling period, let alone male channelers this was a pretty huge show of character.

Actually actually, your(stated) view and hers are not totally incompatible. Yes, she cared about him, but she did not respect him. I care about my dog, but I do think she's pretty stupid.

However, I am willing to be proven wrong about this. Simply find me a passage that shows clear respect from Egwene towards Rand.

(It should be noted that I'm not unaware that Rand doesn't think much of Egwene either, and whether or not either is correct about the other, two wrongs do not make a right.)

Actually actually, your(stated) view and hers are not totally incompatible. Yes, she cared about him, but she did not respect him. I care about my dog, but I do think she's pretty stupid.

However, I am willing to be proven wrong about this. Simply find me a passage that shows clear respect from Egwene towards Rand.

(It should be noted that I'm not unaware that Rand doesn't think much of Egwene either, and whether or not either is correct about the other, two wrongs do not make a right.)

If you care about someone, and accept them no matter what(when she found out he could channel) it is pretty far from thinking they are "stupid" and "worthless". It most certainly isn't a "crappy" attitude, so no I don't really see how the two are compatible.

Moir had all his clothes burned in tGH and forced him to wear the fancy coats so that he wouldn't look too humble. Yeah, people gave him shit for it because he was being selfish and refused to accept what was evident for a long time. If he had accepted what he was earlier, and embraced it the way Egwene has,he may not have been so troubled.

I don't think u can ask a man to embrace channelling when it will inevitably make him lose his mind, even if he's the DR

They will both sit down and argue their cases. No matter how good Rands arguments are for breaking the seals Egwnene will oppose him, not because of arrogance or stupidity, but due to the compulsion Aran'gar(sp) placed upon Egwnene(after all that is the only thing the Forsaken seem able to do) Egwene will b compelled to oppose the Dragon on everything. The AS, who have been dragged into Rands ta'veren whirlpool, will have to decide whether to go with DR or stick with their newly appointed Amyrlin. Division caused early in the book. News of the attacks on the different cities(i refuse to believe that Caemlyn is the only 1 being attacked) will filter thru, different armies will go to different locations with nothing agreed upon for certain.

then later in the book..... Nynaeve and an Asha'man will find some super way to heal compulsion, by linking, that restores the victim to full sanity, because we can't have 1 of the super girls being permanently incapacitated.

I'm still not sold on Eqwene's Compulsion, especially to oppose Rand, she seems annoyed at his actions in the last few books but not quite intense enough to be from Compulsion. Since the shadow did want Egwene to be the rebel leader it is possible that Arangar's Compulsion was to make her totally convinced that she was the Amyrilyn no matter what (as we see her not waver in her captivity in the tower.) But Arangar doesn't give anything away about what she did to Egwene. (not that I've seen). Or about her being turned to the shadow, which is doubtful with the POV we have seen from her. Thoughts? :blush:

This is nuts. Why is it so hard to believe she just doesn't have any reason to think Rand is correct? And what does the DO gain by keeping the seals whole? Do you think the DO is scared to be free?

I said that I think that Egwene has Compulsion placed on her to oppose Rand not to oppose the breaking of the seals. If/when the compulsion was 1st placed on Egwene the DO didnt know he was potentially opposing his freedom. I refuse to believe that a Forsaken with that much access to Egwene wouldn't place Compulsion, and the AS know that the Forsaken use Compulsion and they also know they had 1 in their camp so why the hell aren't they Delving people to see if they have had it placed on them?

EDIT: my last question can b scrapped as i have just remembered tat the AS wouldn't b able to find the Compulsion anyway as it was done with saidin, my apologies lol :rolleyes:

I almost like the idea of Egwene being right to stop Rand breaking the seals, but Sandersons not that sort of writer (the character you like most always comes out on top, so if RJ's notes said Rand was wrong, he'd not have been presented so forcefully about the idea because it'd leave him looking too much of the fool when the reveal came).

But yeah, all this 'compulsion, armies, circles shielding him'... nah, I don't see it. I agree with those that think she was looking at purely political efforts--very similar in fact to the Fateful Concord or whatever it was called that Latra Posae Decume used to block Lews Therin and the Sealing.

Did you read Mistborn? I don't know how to do spoiler tags and I don't want to risk anything, but I'm not sure I agree.

Guest PiotrekS

If you care about someone, and accept them no matter what(when she found out he could channel) it is pretty far from thinking they are "stupid" and "worthless". It most certainly isn't a "crappy" attitude, so no I don't really see how the two are compatible.

Egwene cared about Rand in the first two books, but I don't know if it could be said that she "accepted him no matter what" based on that one passage when she learned he could channel and her behaviour in Fal Dara (which is very positive btw and I had nothing against Egwene in the first books). It can be seen in EotW that Egwene felt Rand to be somebody inferior and in need of being told what to think and do by a woman, apparently - Egwene. Even though her love interest in Rand has not survived, this attitude definitely has. Just look at how she does not really listen to what he has to say in EotW, how often does she use derogatory language (woolhead etc.) about him, how she decided she has the right to tell him who he should love (when she thinks to herself that Elayne can "pick him up as a lost puppy").

It was one of the characters when RJ's role reversal has worked - Egwene might have cared about Rand, but she did not really respect him.

To put spoiler tags around a piece of text, put [ spoiler ] (without spaces!) before the text, and [ / spoiler ] (again without spaces) after it. I learned that from Luckers.

That's good to know, I've often wondered how to do that.Thanks for sharing this esoteric knowlege!

That is completely in character for Egwene, though. She has always been the most arrogant character in the books, always convinced that she - and only she - knows what's right, is the only one who should be allowed to break rules and stomp all over everyone without consequence, and is the one who should be telling everyone else what to do.

And the 13*13 trick magnifies the bad aspects of someone's character!

That is completely in character for Egwene, though. She has always been the most arrogant character in the books, always convinced that she - and only she - knows what's right, is the only one who should be allowed to break rules and stomp all over everyone without consequence, and is the one who should be telling everyone else what to do.

If those aspects were magnified any more, then her eyes would turn black and her head would spin around on her shoulders. :P

Seriously, I don't feel those traits have increased to the point where it's unbelievable. Yes, her belief that she is some kind of goddess everyone should bow down to has increased, but that is because she is now the Amyrlin and thinks that the title gives her the right to dominate everyone completely and that the Amyrlin is basically the Empress of the world. I think if she had been 13*13'd then it would be more blatant, like with the people at the Black Tower (though, honestly, I think something else has been done to them).

If those aspects were magnified any more, then her eyes would turn black and her head would spin around on her shoulders. :P

Seriously, I don't feel those traits have increased to the point where it's unbelievable. Yes, her belief that she is some kind of goddess everyone should bow down to has increased, but that is because she is now the Amyrlin and thinks that the title gives her the right to dominate everyone completely and that the Amyrlin is basically the Empress of the world. I think if she had been 13*13'd then it would be more blatant, like with the people at the Black Tower (though, honestly, I think something else has been done to them).

You make XXX47 look rational.

You make XXX47 look rational.

You think people who dissagree with you are irrational. Egwene thinks people who dissagree with her are being mind-controlled by ta'veren. I think its small wonder you like her sueness.

There are lots of people who have made decent arguments. You can't argue with crazy. While I understand you'd defend it because it currently backs your position, I'm pretty sure you don't actually believe this:

her belief that she is some kind of goddess everyone should bow down to has increased, but that is because she is now the Amyrlin and thinks that the title gives her the right to dominate everyone completely and that the Amyrlin is basically the Empress of the world.

You honestly believe Egwene thinks the Amyrlin is Empress of the world?

well i dont believe shes got much room to do anything, its already been stated that she cant physically stop him. really i dont even see the point in the meeting cause its not like the nations of the world can afford to just not fight in the last battle. so its irrelevant of what they think of rand's actions. Also i believe its been stated earlyer that messages on the attack of camylon would come in turning the direction of the meeting to that of war. which is good because rand stated that he would break the seals the day after the meeting. which would leave no time for the multitude of things left to be written. such as mat, seanchan, camlyon, the kids. ect.

Perhaps if we return to the facts...

Rand Sedai (and I stress Sedai) knows the most about the Bore, how it was created and how to seal it properly. As several quotes in the thread already reveal, he does not know exactly what he is going to do - but one would hazard it involves both Male and female channelers. I'm not sure Rand has cottoned on to this yet, but I believe prior to integration, Lews Therin was considering it.

Min, despite her lack of formal study, makes sense of the WoT metaphysics as well as or better than Aes Sedai. Cadsuane's agreement with her on the Callandor problem is designed to emphasise this. Rand also trusts her, I expect she will provide some of the knowledge in formulating the sealing of the Bore, though perhaps not the assault.

Rand announced in the Hall of the Tower that he would destroy the remaining seals in one Month, after the meeting on the Fields of Merrilor, but did not have a plan beyond that.

Egwene made the logical decision with the facts at hand to oppose this plan - the risks are too great without a sure plan to contain the consequences. She does not know the rubble must be cleared, nor have we heard her take advice from potentially knowledgeable Aes Sedai. There is no suggestion that they have expertise in the matter, though I don't doubt it is there. The story just doesn't allow for any further meaningful contribution from an as yet unknown character. Regardless of Egwene's position, only Perrin and Cadsuane are of any influence and likely to agree with Rand at this point.

Egwene is indirectly in control of three of the four groups of channelling women, after her agreement with the Wise Ones and Sea Folk (Seanchan are the fourth). Likely she will have their agreement in forbidding any of them from aiding Rand, ala Fateful Concord.

She is also prepared to do 'something' to stop Rand, possible 13 Aes Sedai to shield him until they have a plan, but I can't see anything more sinister. FoM is a melting pot of vested interests and beliefs already.

Wildcards:

Moiraine is alive and on her way to the FoM, with whatever knowledge she has, plus two more aids from the 'finns. Everyone believes her dead, but she has influence with both Rand and Egwene.

Caemlyn is currently under attack by Shadowspawn, Mat, Moiraine and Thom are headed there first with their scheduled gateway appearance.

Aviendha is on her way back with the warning for the Aiel, and knowledge of the Dragon's Peace. From this we know that the Seanchan are likely to turn up, probably via attacking the White Tower.

Tarwin's Gap: Malkier ironically is the only Borderland nation with an Army near the blight, and Lan at it's head.

Callandor: probably important, and Rand needs two women to wield it, I propose the following list are contenders: Alivia, Nyneave, Moiraine or Cadsuane. Alivia is fated to help Rand die, and is unaligned at this point. Moiraine is possibly aligned to WT, but maybe free. Nyneave is bonded to Lan, and may flee to Tarwin's Gap because of him.

Also, Demandred, Moridin, Graendal, Cyndane and any other surviving Forsaken are still about. Such a concentration of Light-siders may prove irresistible to a suicidal trolloc invasion.

Barring the wildcards, Ta'veren-ness and Morgase's recommendations to her Daughter, I forsee Rand being seriously opposed, foremost by Egwene, possibly to the point of being shielded and tied up (no kidnapping, just constrained). One or more of the wildcards will then sway events.

Threadjacking about Egwene or Rand's arrogance, hypocrisy, etc is rather pointless I think, better to cast judgement on the options available to Egwene rather than her character. There is definitely something suspicious about Halima's headaches (and their 'cure', but is there any solid justification for the compulsion and will it have a game-changing effect given it was 1)cut short, 2) a long term plan and 3) has yet to produce anything we can readily tie to it, that does not also have another possible expanation (Ta'veren etc)

Egwene is indirectly in control of three of the four groups of channelling women, after her agreement with the Wise Ones and Sea Folk (Seanchan are the fourth). Likely she will have their agreement in forbidding any of them from aiding Rand, ala Fateful Concord.

Unless the eventual plan to reseal the bore needs 100+ women (extremely unlikely), Egwene really can't deny Rand the use of the female channelers he may need. Rand has several dozen Aes Sedai that are sworn to serve him until the Last Battle is done, not to mention the 50 bound to obey Asha'man. So, I think Rand has more than enough help to get the job done, and that's assuming that Egwene can get the thousands of Wise Ones to side with her over their own Car'a'carn, not to mention the Windfinders that see him as their Coramoor, and any other unsworn Aes Sedai that would choose him anyway (like Nynaeve and probably Cadsuane).

Basically, a "Fateful Concord" type ploy is not something that Egwene is capable of enacting. Not that it matters when it comes to Rand breaking the seal(s) anyway.

@ Aquila: This. In triplicate. (Though I'm still worried about Eg's attitude to the Pattern.)

You raise a fascinating point about Moiraine. Min has Viewed that Rand will probably not succeed without her help - I believe her thoughts were "What good to tell him he would almost certainly fail without a woman who was dead and gone". Perhaps she will arrive at the FoM in time to knoock knock their heads together!

(Sorry. My keyboard bounces occcccccasionally!)

Unless the eventual plan to reseal the bore needs 100+ women (extremely unlikely), Egwene really can't deny Rand the use of the female channelers he may need. Rand has several dozen Aes Sedai that are sworn to serve him until the Last Battle is done, not to mention the 50 bound to obey Asha'man. So, I think Rand has more than enough help to get the job done, and that's assuming that Egwene can get the thousands of Wise Ones to side with her over their own Car'a'carn, not to mention the Windfinders that see him as their Coramoor, and any other unsworn Aes Sedai that would choose him anyway (like Nynaeve and probably Cadsuane).

Basically, a "Fateful Concord" type ploy is not something that Egwene is capable of enacting. Not that it matters when it comes to Rand breaking the seal(s) anyway.

I was going by the Wise Ones concern after Egwene told them of Rand's plan (IIRC), they sounded likely to side with her, and have respect for her. Rand is no wetlander king! And the Sea Folk are less than impressed with his upholding their bargain. You do raise a good point concerning Dragonsworn Aes Sedai though, I did not even think of them! But I would also hazard a guess that strength is required, on the order of the Choedal Kal (Sp?). Also recall that none bar Rand's immediate posse (if that) knows more of his plan than "I'll destroy the seals and hope for the best".

Archived