DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will Egwene do at FOM?

XXX

Though she (or the person she sends) might find out before the time.

Or perhaps Rand would display the seals in front of everybody.

Well stealing is always better than trying fight Rand I guess. Still I'd bet that the meeting at FoM is going to be interrupted.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's another fascinating question: Where are the remaining intact seals located?

From the books, we know that four have already been broken. Two of the intact seals were found by Moiraine and presumably stored somewhere in Cairhien, along with whatever else she took from Rhuidean.

The remaining seal was given to Rand by Taim, assuming it is a real seal. What Rand did with it, we don't know.

I suppose a good guess is that Rand actually has them on his person last time we saw him.

I'm surprised nobody ever brought Rand's thoughts on this issue into the discussion given that he considers the possibility that those gathered will not bend to his wishes. Here are the relevant passages:

The Cairhienin were Elayne’s now, by reports, and were coming through with the Andorans and a large number of men from the Band of the Red Hand. Egwene had sent an offer, and a woman to offer Traveling, to King Roedran of Murandy, but she was uncertain if he would come. Even without him, however, a considerable number of the world’s nations were represented here, particularly since the flags of Ghealdan and Mayene could be seen among Perrin’s armies. She would have to contact their two rulers and see if she could sway them to her way of thinking. But even if not, surely what she had gathered would be enough to convince Rand to change his plans. Light send it was enough. She didn’t want to think of what would happen if he forced her hand.

Jordan, Robert; Sanderson, Brandon (2011-01-31). Towers of Midnight (p. 816). Tor Books. Kindle Edition.

Important to consider here is that Egwene is contemplating what she might do if all of her diplomatic efforts fail. Too many of the posters have ignored that distinction. The original thread-starter was asking what Egwene would do if Rand straight out refused her efforts and was not convinced by her arguments -- not what she would initially do.

Personally, I don't think she has truly planned for that possibility. The passage itself seems to indicate that. Egwene is confident in her plan, something she indicates to Gawyn earlier, while being largely clueless that her support is not what she thinks it is. She even says she doesn't want to think about what she would do if her plan is not enough. Which makes me think that, whatever she does to counter Rand, if it comes to that, will be spur of the moment.

On the morrow, they’d hear his demands. Not what he would demand to keep him from breaking the seals—he was going to do that, regardless of what Egwene said. No, these would be the demands he made on the monarchs of the world in exchange for going to Shayol Ghul to face the Dark One. He wasn’t certain what he’d do if they refused him. They’d find it very difficult to do so. Sometimes, it could be useful to have a reputation for being irrational.

Jordan, Robert; Sanderson, Brandon (2011-01-31). Towers of Midnight (pp. 839-840). Tor Books. Kindle Edition.

I actually find Rand's thoughts on the matter more fascinating. He's almost as confident as Egwene that everyone will bend to his view but whereas Egwene's passage seems to make it sound as if Egwene really doesn't have a Plan B yet, Rand's is far more telling. He says the world's leaders would find refusing his demands "very difficult to do." Is he referring to his ta'vereness or something else?

Far more ominous is his second thought on the matter, that it could be useful to have a reputation for being irrational. Now, what does that mean? Is he going to threaten those there if they don't bend to his wishes? Will he refuse to participate in saving the world if not done under his plan?

In some ways, we already have a precedent for such behavior. Remember Rand's ultimatum to the Borderlanders? In other words, he's willing to leave behind potential allies if they don't bend to his wishes. And, in some ways, he might be in a position to do so.

He does have over 75 Aes Sedai that would have to obey him, if push came to shove. Perrin is on board. And while Egwene might be able to convince some nations to oppose his plans, far more questionable is how many would refuse his orders. It's unlikely that the Aiel would actually disobey Rand's commands. The Borderlanders are unlikely to either, given how serious they take their oaths. And as for Tear and Illian, to not do what Rand says would basically constitute open rebellion.

Not that it will come to all that. I actually doubt this confrontation will play out like either Rand or Egwene think it will. But it is interesting to consider the possibilities if both Rand and Egwene remain resolute.

What then?

Rand is not talking about the seals but the dragon's peace...he is going to break the seals anyway. And there is nothing the "watcher of the seals" can do about it as she has not idea where the seals even are!!

Archived