DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will Egwene do at FOM?

XXX

Now we know Egwene has a plan in case Rand does not listen to "reason"(her way of thinking)..as she hoped that he would not "force her hand"

What exactly will/can she do?

1) Fight Rand with her army. Not sure if Elayne will try to battle the father of her children and Tear/Illian and the Aiel are linked to Rand so basically the tower AS and Bryne versus the rest.

2) Try to kidnap Rand and take him to the WT. This may be possible if she and her AS catches him unawares but considering that he is surrounded by his own Ash'aman and his AS,it is going to be difficult.

3) Kill Rand..even the most powerful channeler can be killed by a knife in the back.

Anything else she can try?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Egwene wouldn't want to admit she's powerless to stop him. She may be self-deluded enough to think she actually could force him to change. Just ask Cadsaune how well that went. Or Eladai or any of the other Aes Sedia who thought they were greater than the Dragon.

She will invite Rand to a meeting and serve him forkroot tea. ;)

I did think of that..but then he is hardly going to be defenseless with all of his OP allies even if he cannot channel.

Yea.. because Rand is harmless when he can't channel.. ignore the two warders he slaughtered before the Aes Sedai got a grip of themselves. There's just nothing she can do. Remember we're not just dealing with Rand.. we're dealing with Rand Sedai!

Kidnap, Egwene confronted Elaida about Elaida's attempt on that. Repeating it would be hypocritical.

Kill, Egwene (and probably every Light-sided character) knows of Rand's importance to Prophecy/Pattern/etc. She (and them) would not dare do it or order it.

Though if any body tries it, Rand's 5 senses might have become keener since his Dragonmount experience.

Forkroot; if it works on saidin, she would probably need a very high amount for it to prevent him from channeling. That amount is probably more than she has available.

Something that might be tried might be to set up a Telaranrhiod meeting with him.

I dream of one day logging on to Dragonmount and not seeing a new Egwene bashing thread.

why is this a Egwene bashing thread...I think it is a valid discussion point considering how ToM finished.

Yea.. because Rand is harmless when he can't channel.. ignore the two warders he slaughtered before the Aes Sedai got a grip of themselves. There's just nothing she can do. Remember we're not just dealing with Rand.. we're dealing with Rand Sedai!

We know she has planned something...from her PoV.

*bash* owww. Anywhislit...She thinks this way much like a number of other characters in the book, that she must do this even though she has no idea how to stop him. It is almost a theme in the book and shows her tenaciousness and responsibility to do what she thinks is right. Not saying she is right, but in her position I doubt that giving in to the will of the pattern is forthright in her mind. That could be what she realizes when she meets up with Rand...she is but a thread and the Wheel Weaves as the Wheel Wills. :wheel:

Yes. She's going to try and "force" the guy who holds the very fate of the world, of existence its self, in the palm of his hands to "see reason" by listening to.. kings and stewards he himself appointed to STFU and do their job.. I don't see it happening :tongue:!

The levels the anti-egwene crowd can stoop to is almost mindblowing at times.

But, I'll pretend i take this thread seriously, just so there will be at least one decent post here.

Egwene will do nothing. She will not try to do anything, other than hosting a meeting. A meeting where she will explain the situation. rand will keep insisting on that he must break the seals despite not having a clue what to do next. People will shout, taking Egwenes side, Rands side, or a side they just invented on the spot. Until messages starts coming about the attack on Caemlyn, about Tarwins Gap, and possibly even about the Seanchans next attack on the WT (the timeline allows for that to happen).

Messages that will change the nature of the meeting, from a discussion about the seals, to all of the lights forces starting to work together to fight back. Keep in mind that the main reason Egwene called all these forces was Rands ta'veren influencing her. Which means that the Pattern needs them to be there, at that very moment. Even rand is a slave under the pattern, so it is very possible his ta'veren influenced himself to come up with 30 days, so the meeting takes place just as the Shadow makes its move.

So the real question should be, What will the Pattern force people to do at FoM?

Kidnap, Egwene confronted Elaida about Elaida's attempt on that. Repeating it would be hypocritical.

That's just makes it more likely since Egwene has been a blatant hypocrite throughout the series.

Forkroot; if it works on saidin, she would probably need a very high amount for it to prevent him from channeling. That amount is probably more than she has available.

How do you figure? Elaida had enough supplies to keep Egwene forkrooted for weeks, chances are there's plenty left of that. And there's nothing suggesting that stronger channellers need a bigger dose of forkroot to work on them.

But, I'll pretend i take this thread seriously, just so there will be at least one decent post here.

Egwene will do nothing. She will not try to do anything, other than hosting a meeting. A meeting where she will explain the situation. rand will keep insisting on that he must break the seals despite not having a clue what to do next. People will shout, taking Egwenes side, Rands side, or a side they just invented on the spot. Until messages starts coming about the attack on Caemlyn, about Tarwins Gap, and possibly even about the Seanchans next attack on the WT (the timeline allows for that to happen).

Messages that will change the nature of the meeting, from a discussion about the seals, to all of the lights forces starting to work together to fight back. Keep in mind that the main reason Egwene called all these forces was Rands ta'veren influencing her. Which means that the Pattern needs them to be there, at that very moment. Even rand is a slave under the pattern, so it is very possible his ta'veren influenced himself to come up with 30 days, so the meeting takes place just as the Shadow makes its move.

So the real question should be, What will the Pattern force people to do at FoM?

So her comment that "she hopes that he won't force her hand" is just a bluff?

Yes. She's going to try and "force" the guy who holds the very fate of the world, of existence its self, in the palm of his hands to "see reason" by listening to.. kings and stewards he himself appointed to STFU and do their job.. I don't see it happening :tongue:!

Because Randland would be better off with an omnipotent despot who doesn't listen to his advisors? Certainly you aren't advocating that no one ever challenge his decisions or question his plans? We have already seen what happens when Rand goes down that road...

That's just makes it more likely since Egwene has been a blatant hypocrite throughout the series.
I do not see Egwene being hypocritical during any part of the series; at least not purposely hypocritical.

How do you figure? Elaida had enough supplies to keep Egwene forkrooted for weeks, chances are there's plenty left of that. And there's nothing suggesting that stronger channellers need a bigger dose of forkroot to work on them.
Exact amounts have not been recorded. And there is a chance that a portion of forkrooted channelers received extra.

I might have been mistaken about Egwene not having enough.

Because Randland would be better off with an omnipotent despot who doesn't listen to his advisors? Certainly you aren't advocating that no one ever challenge his decisions or question his plans? We have already seen what happens when Rand goes down that road...

When did Egwene become his adviser?...AFAIK only Moraine,Cads and Ny have that position among the AS.

So her comment that "she hopes that he won't force her hand" is just a bluff?

force her hand... to her mouth when she shouts... to bang the table in frustration... to wag a finger and tell him how disappointed she is... to call in her supporters, like Elayne, to say they support her to his face... to write a formal statement that the white tower disagrees with the action but will still follow the dragon... to remove the aes sedai from his council (including moir when she gets back)... to do one of a trillion things.

I agree almost completely with Majsju. All except for Egwene being Ta'veren pulled. Ta'veren effect does nothing if you're already inclined to do what he wanted. If Rand was abusing his ta'veren powers he'd be more direct like with the windfinders and when he tried with Tuon.

When did Egwene become his adviser?...AFAIK only Moraine,Cads and Ny have that position among the AS.

Well he asked for her input in ToM...

"You can't break the seals," Egwene said. "That would risk letting the Dark One free."

"A risk we must take. Clear away the rubble. The Bore must be opened fully again before it can be sealed.

"We must talk about this, she said. "Plan"

"That is why I came to you. To let you plan."

He goes on to say they will meet at the FoM and plan before he leaves for SG. Perhaps not a formal advisor but she is most certainly a step above the other rulers that will be in his counsel. Regardless the point raised above remains the same.

Not sure if you can spin that into him asking her advice..he is going to do break the seals regardless of anything she says. His PoV at the end of ToM makes that clear.

She cannot appoint herself as his adviser...I know that is the standard modus operandi of the AS but I think from experience it is clear that it does not work with the Dragon.

He is pretty clear that Ny is his adviser..for one thing he listens to her.

I agree almost completely with Majsju. All except for Egwene being Ta'veren pulled. Ta'veren effect does nothing if you're already inclined to do what he wanted. If Rand was abusing his ta'veren powers he'd be more direct like with the windfinders and when he tried with Tuon.

It is quite obvious that Egwene was firmly ta'veren pulled. As soon as rand left the room, we see her raising her hand to her head, feling dizzy. A quite obvious sign, especially since it is mirrored later in the book by Galad, who feels weaker moments after having agreed to join up with Perrin.

Archived