DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Worst/least favorite lines from tWoT

While we all enjoy this series, I was wondering what some of the worst lines you've read were. For me, in tPoD chapter "A Goatpen" there is this gem:

Nothing was more important than Faile. Nothing!

Wtf? Perrin and his band had just arrived in Ghealdan and were on a rise looking over a city. Faile was sitting right freaking there. Ham fisted can't even begin to describe that drivel. Ok, your turn.

maybe when mat starts screaming in the old tungue before theyre even out of the two rivers. felt a bit early IMO

You know, I just noticed that on my current re read. It did feel a bit outta nowhere.

hehe yeah, that might be a hint that RJ intended the series to be much shorter.

From RJ:

"In one month, we will begin the siege of Tar Valon."

This time, the silence was broken only by the sound of Takima weeping.

Oh, the (melo)drama! RJ clearly wanted to end the chapter in a dramatic fashion; instead it left me mystified as to how someone that unstable could end up a Sitter, let alone pass the Aes Sedai test.

She [the midwife] had Elayne make water, then held the glass jar up to the light of a stand-lamp to study it. She smelled that, too, and even dipped a finger in and licked it! It was another daily ritual. Elayne averted her eyes, pulling her flower-embroidered silk robe tight around her, but she still shuddered.

Was that really necessary for us to read about? :rolleyes: Instead of wasting Elayne's scenes on baths and urine tasting, it would have been more interesting to hear about Elayne's Accepted test and what she thought of Moiraine being her aunt.

From Brandon:

Bryne and Siuan waited for Egwene at the back of the army. A disparate couple they were. The battle-hardened general, with temples of gray and a face like an unyielding piece of armor. Strong, made of lines. And beside him Siuan, the diminutive woman in pale blue, her face lovely, looking young enough to be Bryne's granddaughter, for all the fact that they were near the same age.

First off, it's inaccurate: Siuan is tall and in her mid-40s. If Bryne's near the same age, he should not be old enough to look like her grandfather. Also: way to make that pairing seem creepy.

"Bah!" Lan said, turning away.

Lan recited poetry in TEotW and always has been one of the most quotable characters. He deserved better lines in ToM than "Bah!" and "It is my destiny." His scenes were the most disappointing part of ToM.

From Brandon:

Bryne and Siuan waited for Egwene at the back of the army. A disparate couple they were. The battle-hardened general, with temples of gray and a face like an unyielding piece of armor. Strong, made of lines. And beside him Siuan, the diminutive woman in pale blue, her face lovely, looking young enough to be Bryne's granddaughter, for all the fact that they were near the same age.

First off, it's inaccurate: Siuan is tall and in her mid-40s. If Bryne's near the same age, he should not be old enough to look like her grandfather. Also: way to make that pairing seem creepy.

"Bah!" Lan said, turning away.

Lan recited poetry in TEotW and always has been one of the most quotable characters. He deserved better lines in ToM than "Bah!" and "It is my destiny." His scenes were the most disappointing part of ToM.

Firstly brandon had just desrcibed brynne as having grey hair, anyone with grey hair can look like a grandfather, i know grand fathers that are 50 in this day and age. secondly with siuan getting stilled she described herself as looking 15-20 years younger in TSR. google the owner of playboy mansion and look at one of the photos next to his wife, he looks like he could be his grandfather when there about 25 years apart.

Im in the middle of a reread and u say that lan is poetic, in the space of about 5 chapters lan has said you have to stay focused sheep hearder, in different ways about 5 times, its hardly poetic.

Im in the middle of a reread and u say that lan is poetic, in the space of about 5 chapters lan has said you have to stay focused sheep hearder, in different ways about 5 times, its hardly poetic.

What I actually said was: "Lan recited poetry in TEotW and always has been one of the most quotable characters." If you look up any collection of WoT quotes, chances are that many of them will be from Lan.

"The rose petal floats on water," Lan recited softly. "The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

"Yes," Agelmar said. "Yes. That one has always symbolized the whole of it to me, too." The two men bowed their heads to one another.

Poetry out of Lan? The man was like an onion; every time Rand thought he knew something about the Warder, he discovered another layer underneath.

"You can never know everything," Lan said quietly, "and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway."

"You can never know everything," Lan said quietly, "and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway."

What if the portion of wisdom that lets you see part of what you know is always wrong is the part that's wrong?

My least favorite line is a short one: "Excellent!"

Somewhere in TGS, almost everyone started using that expression: Rand, Nynaeve, Cadsuane, Egwene.

Come on, that catchphrase belongs to Mr Burns and The Wheel of Simpsons!

Well, it would be OK with me if Cadsuane or Egwene used it all the time - without being actual Darkfriends, they're evil and scheming like Mr Burns. But in that case let it be their trademark.

The frequent use of the word bothers me!

Somewhere in TGS, almost everyone started using that expression: Rand, Nynaeve, Cadsuane, Egwene.

Come on, that catchphrase belongs to Mr Burns and The Wheel of Simpsons!

oohhh... the picture that now awakens in my mind.. for the love of the Light don't let the Simpsons producers hear you...

I actually think it suits Rand. Though I don't imagine it in a Mr Burns manner. I imagine it to be delivered more in a Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh manner. Vaguely absent as he asks one of the Sea Folk women about her piercings :biggrin:.

"You will call me Mother." and the subsequent, "Yes, mother,"

The stupidity of those lines makes me cringe just quoting them. I felt like Sanderson was calling me, personally, a retard, when I read them. Seriously. Wow. It's up there with the Elayne/Egwene "Let's be friends" line. That one made me facepalm too... Now that I think about it, that was the stupidest line. By far.

Favorite line is probably Taim's, "Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt.", mainly 'cause he said it to those pompous Aes Sedai. Heheh, yeah. rolleyes.gif

I get annoyed every time Elayne thinks the word satisfactory. Apparently it only happens 12 times in the series, but it is just so annoying that it seems like more. It always makes me feel like she's thinking that everything should be going her way, and she's just suffering through those times that it doesn't.

I think my least favorite line of all though, is another Elayne one: "A most observant subject" describing May. Every reread, I cringe when I read that.

Archived