DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wished for books

mb

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which books would be nice to have?

• A chronological edition of this series (printed form)
    • An ebook form of the chronological edition
    • Chronologial edition divided into several volumes
    • List form chronology in a book
    • A whole series omnibus (printed form)
    • An ebook omnibus
    • Smaller omnibuses
    • Books including off-screen events
    • Age of Legends novels
    • Third Age novels of events before the main series
    • Books listing all Prophecies
    • Books including prophecy fulfillments
    • Novels for each Age
    • A whole cycle series
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. Of selected options, when would you want to see them?

• Does not matter
    • Depends on their size
    • Any time after main series is finished
    • Any time after finishing Prequels/Outriggers
    • Along with Prequels/Outriggers
    • Months after main series
    • Years after main series
    • Months after Prequels/Outriggers
    • Years after Prequels/Outriggers
    • Other (please specify)
  3. 3. Who would you like to be the respective author/authors?

• Does not matter
    • Sanderson
    • Harriet
    • A child of Robert Jordan
    • Other (please specify)

Most of the options in first poll have not been confirmed. No guarantee of any of them being published.

Edit:: After voting, please explain reasons.

1. Which books would be nice to have?

My choice: Books including off-screen events*

*I would also like any additional notes that explain certain things like Tam's past(parents and such)

why: There is always this "I wish we had more info on ..."

2. Of selected options, when would you want to see them?

My choice: Any time after main series is finished*

*I was going to pick one of the Prequels/Outriggers options cause I really want the Tam Prequel but they are never going to happen :sad:

why: Finish the series first before new stuff that adds to the old stuff comes out

3. Who would you like to be the respective author/authors?

My choice: Harriet

why: I assume she would have access to all of RJ's notes.

Most of the options in first poll have not been confirmed. No guarantee of any of them being published.

Edit:: After voting, please explain reasons.

Just to add... the options in the second poll have not been confirmed either. It is highly unlikely that we get anymore prequels or outriggers.

I'd like to see AoL novels, as we only really get two flashes of life in the Age of Legends. First is LTT dying, which is only hearsay from the babble he speaks and the second is the excellent flashback from the pillars in Rhuidean through Rand's ancestors' eyes.

I would like to see this series re-published, after having been subjected to some rigorous editing. This editing should adress the chronology, as the poll suggests, but also remove the repetitive exposition with with Jordan began several books, eliminate some plotlines that went nowhere, tighten up the language...

Just generally give us a tightly-edited version of these books, as they would have existed if edited by an aggressive editor who had the entire story laid out by the author.

:smile: i'm pretty sure readers digest will get to that. maybe they can clean up anna karenina while they're at it. all that scenery. just get to the train station, already.

Oh, come on. You're not suggesting the books are tightly edited as is, are you?

no, i'm suggesting some authors are a bit, erm, verbose, even great, classical ones. (seriously, an ex once "made" me read too much tolstoy, and all i could think was, damn, this guy really loves scenery, and really doesn't know how to end a story, edit, please.)

and i am sure readers digest will get to it.

that's why i used the smiley face instead of the italic s for sarcasm.

:smile:

I wouldn't mind seeing the prequels written, but only the ones RJ planned: Tam finding Rand on Dragonmount and how Moiraine and Lan arrived in the Two Rivers just in time. But I only want to see them if there are enough notes or at least some kind of basic outline for them for Sanderson to work with. I think I read that there's almost no material for the outrigger novels RJ had planned, so I'd rather just leave it at the main books and a few prequels (and the confirmed WoT Encyclopedia).

It would also be extremely interesting to see a sample of his notes on the last few books and compare them to the end product, but that seems less likely. :rolleyes:

the whole "notes" thing reminds me too much of the dune 7 debacle. i don't think BS or harriet are the same sort of people as those currently feeding off frank herbet's legacy, but i'm just not comfortable with the concept. i remember some of RJ's statements on the subject of someone else finishing his books. his feelings apparently changed at the very end, but it still doesn't feel right to me to keep going. just my opinion, and obviously the decision will be made by those who have the right to make it.

i'd rather see a good biography of the man, if it came down to it.

I'd like 2 books, maybe about 1000 pages total, that replace Books 7-11 and cut out all the boring crap. Would help make the series much more appealing to a broader audience. The "true fans" who really dig all the sniffing, spanking, and bathing will always have the originals. As for who does it, does it really matter? Just need a good editor.

I'd like 2 books, maybe about 1000 pages total, that replace Books 7-11 and cut out all the boring crap. Would help make the series much more appealing to a broader audience. The "true fans" who really dig all the sniffing, spanking, and bathing will always have the originals. As for who does it, does it really matter? Just need a good editor.

There we go.

These books would be nice to me::

-chronological edition in smaller volumes or a list form chronology in a book; to help with what happens when.

-smaller omnibuses of this series (without anything removed)

-books of each culture's prophecies; including in-series Viewings/Dreams/Foretellings

-books with the fulfillment of the respective prophecies; for "closure".

For Other::

-A more exhaustive encyclopedia.

-The planned Prequels & Outriggers, but probably the Prequels first.

Time of publishing does not matter to me with any of them.

Chronology, the prophecy & fulfillment books, the encyclopaedia, and Prequels/Outriggers; someone allowed access to the notes (for new info) and anyone for old info.

Omnibuses, anyone.

i think RJ wanted harriet to edit the books. i actually care about that bit. i don't go for abridged books myself. i'd rather just cringe with the bad as i smile with the good. but abridged books will be available. in the meantime, it would not be a violation of copyright law to revise your own editions. i listen to audio now, so i just have to hum loudly to myself through the various spankings and extraneous character intros.

I want these things:

1. The planned prequels written by Brandon (whenever he has time - maybe as a side project a few years down the road).

2. The planned outriggers written by Brandon (same - he can do whichever he likes best first).

3. The planned encyclopedia by Team Jordan (namely Harriet and Maria and Alan, and another friend of Harriet's that she mentioned - I expect this a year or two after AMOL comes out).

Q: Which books would be nice to have?

A: Voted Age of Legends novels

Really several of those would be nice but I think getting a chance to see this age would be kind of cool, especially if it was pulled off right. Sometimes trying this kills the mystique of the era, ala Star Wars, but if done right you get to see more of the characters you know in passing and get to know them better, again like Star Wars (the one part that really went well in the prequels).

Q: Of selected options, when would you want to see them?

A: Any time after finishing Prequels/Outriggers

Basically, if Harriet and company have the notes to do books, ect that would lean heavily on Jordan's notes then go for those, first, before attempting any other types of books, ect. If Jordan doesn't have a lot of notes for the prequels or outriggers then they shouldn't be done... I love the way the Sanderson WoT books have gone but they still aren't the same even if heavily influenced by Jordan himself.

Q: Who would you like to be the respective author/authors?

A: Does not matter

If they have to do the novels sans Jordan it doens't really matter who does them. Sanderson has done well with the two new novels and I would love to see him continue but anyone that has a good grasp of WoT and can carry the tone of the series would be okay.

I'd be most interested in books about the Age of Legends, most especially about what seemed like complex relationships between Lews Therin, Mierin, Elan and Barid, and how those three later became Lanfear, Ishamael and Demandred. This would add a lot of depth to their background and character, and maybe help explain/understand them as Forsaken in the Third Age. Graendal and Semirhage are other Forsaken I would be interested to know more about.

I believe Brandon Sanderson would be a good author, as he has been for the last few books, with a lot of help from Harriet as advisor/editor.

As RJ had no desire to explore the AoL the whole concept doesn't appeal to me all that much. As for the rest I will be perfectly happy with Harriet's decision on how to proceed. If the Prequels and Outriggers get done I would buy them but I do wonder based on the lack of source material how they would go. Think it should be noted that BS has expressed hesitations about writing these. Looking forward to the new Encyclopedia and think it would be a perfect end point for the series as a whole.

a story about mat and tuon or the travels of tam al thor would be so mindnumbingly boring, i wouldn't get past the first chapter. What fascinates me about the wheel of time is the good vs evil thingy and yes the evil dudes do get their ass kicked more often than nought but that theme is more interesting to me rather than some bloke who gambles like no tomorrow, a woman with some serious issues and dried up old farmer fighting some aiel.

The only logical books are an AOL trilogy bookset. One of the best books in the shannara trilogy was first king of shannara. we knew what the end was and yet it was captivating. One of the best dragonlance books is soulforge which traced rastlin majere's childhood up until that fateful test at the tower of sorcery.

good authors can make good books even if we know the ending. so harriet, brandon and co can jump right ahead and create some waste of space boring outrigger.prequel books. For me the series ends after AMOL. Because the main theme ends then. I couldnt be bothered with seanchan or how tam found rand at the slopes of dragonmount.

The only logical books are an AOL trilogy bookset. One of the best books in the shannara trilogy was first king of shannara. we knew what the end was and yet it was captivating. One of the best dragonlance books is soulforge which traced rastlin majere's childhood up until that fateful test at the tower of sorcery.

Logical to whom?

DragonCon 3 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Q: Did you have the intention to explore what happened before the Breaking of the World?

RJ: No: anything I would do there would have a sense of inevitability. You know what's going to happen.

Lord of Chaos book tour New York City 20 October 1994 - Delemin reporting

When asked about doing a series on the Age of Legends, he said that before the bore the Age of Legends was too dull, and by the end of the Wheel of Time we will know enough about the Age of Legends after the bore that a book about it would have nothing new...

Second AOL Chat October 1994

Q: Are you going to write about the Age of Legends?

RJ: No.

Q: Are you considering chronicling the latter part of the Age of Legends?

First AOL Chat October 1994

Drayken: I was wondering if you will ever write a book based on the Age of Legends?

Shadow Rising book tour 1992 - John Brannick reporting

Q: Do you plan to write any more series about Hawkwing or the Age of Legends?

RJ: No. readers will get all the information about those ages that they need in the WoT books.

and even bringing up Shannara and Dragonlance as examples of series done right?!?! The horror. If anything that is the best possible argument to cut things after AMoL.

Archived