DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wished for books

mb

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which books would be nice to have?

• A chronological edition of this series (printed form)
    • An ebook form of the chronological edition
    • Chronologial edition divided into several volumes
    • List form chronology in a book
    • A whole series omnibus (printed form)
    • An ebook omnibus
    • Smaller omnibuses
    • Books including off-screen events
    • Age of Legends novels
    • Third Age novels of events before the main series
    • Books listing all Prophecies
    • Books including prophecy fulfillments
    • Novels for each Age
    • A whole cycle series
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. Of selected options, when would you want to see them?

• Does not matter
    • Depends on their size
    • Any time after main series is finished
    • Any time after finishing Prequels/Outriggers
    • Along with Prequels/Outriggers
    • Months after main series
    • Years after main series
    • Months after Prequels/Outriggers
    • Years after Prequels/Outriggers
    • Other (please specify)
  3. 3. Who would you like to be the respective author/authors?

• Does not matter
    • Sanderson
    • Harriet
    • A child of Robert Jordan
    • Other (please specify)

mb, what do you mean by omnibus editions?
An omnibus contains books by the same author and/or of the same topic.

whole series omnibus would be of the entire series. ebook omnibus would be the same but in ebook form.

smaller omnibuses could have 3 or 4 consecutive books each.

The only logical books are an AOL trilogy bookset. One of the best books in the shannara trilogy was first king of shannara. we knew what the end was and yet it was captivating. One of the best dragonlance books is soulforge which traced rastlin majere's childhood up until that fateful test at the tower of sorcery.

Logical to whom?

DragonCon 3 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Q: Did you have the intention to explore what happened before the Breaking of the World?

RJ: No: anything I would do there would have a sense of inevitability. You know what's going to happen.

Lord of Chaos book tour New York City 20 October 1994 - Delemin reporting

When asked about doing a series on the Age of Legends, he said that before the bore the Age of Legends was too dull, and by the end of the Wheel of Time we will know enough about the Age of Legends after the bore that a book about it would have nothing new...

Second AOL Chat October 1994

Q: Are you going to write about the Age of Legends?

RJ: No.

Q: Are you considering chronicling the latter part of the Age of Legends?

First AOL Chat October 1994

Drayken: I was wondering if you will ever write a book based on the Age of Legends?

Shadow Rising book tour 1992 - John Brannick reporting

Q: Do you plan to write any more series about Hawkwing or the Age of Legends?

RJ: No. readers will get all the information about those ages that they need in the WoT books.

and even bringing up Shannara and Dragonlance as examples of series done right?!?! The horror. If anything that is the best possible argument to cut things after AMoL.

look i dont know what books you are refering to but the soulforge was the one the best books in thedragonlance series. ask any fan and he will tell you so. ditto first king of shannara.

but hey you sound to me as if you are just a drone. a robert jordan drone at that. You would probably think it's a good idea if RJ was open to AOL books.

so yeah you can have those outrriger/prequel stuff. I have no need in reading the exciting story of tam al thor and mat/tuon.

The only logical books are an AOL trilogy bookset. One of the best books in the shannara trilogy was first king of shannara. we knew what the end was and yet it was captivating. One of the best dragonlance books is soulforge which traced rastlin majere's childhood up until that fateful test at the tower of sorcery.

Logical to whom?

DragonCon 3 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Q: Did you have the intention to explore what happened before the Breaking of the World?

RJ: No: anything I would do there would have a sense of inevitability. You know what's going to happen.

Lord of Chaos book tour New York City 20 October 1994 - Delemin reporting

When asked about doing a series on the Age of Legends, he said that before the bore the Age of Legends was too dull, and by the end of the Wheel of Time we will know enough about the Age of Legends after the bore that a book about it would have nothing new...

Second AOL Chat October 1994

Q: Are you going to write about the Age of Legends?

Q: Are you considering chronicling the latter part of the Age of Legends?

First AOL Chat October 1994

Drayken: I was wondering if you will ever write a book based on the Age of Legends?

Shadow Rising book tour 1992 - John Brannick reporting

Q: Do you plan to write any more series about Hawkwing or the Age of Legends?

RJ: No. readers will get all the information about those ages that they need in the WoT books.

and even bringing up Shannara and Dragonlance as examples of series done right?!?! The horror. If anything that is the best possible argument to cut things after AMoL.

look i dont know what books you are refering to but the soulforge was the one the best books in thedragonlance series. ask any fan and he will tell you so. ditto first king of shannara.

but hey you sound to me as if you are just a drone. a robert jordan drone at that. You would probably think it's a good idea if RJ was open to AOL books.

so yeah you can have those outrriger/prequel stuff. I have no need in reading the exciting story of tam al thor and mat/tuon.

I am an RJ drone because I agree with his point of view on writing about the AoL? How does that work exactly? If you had read my earlier posts I don't think it is a good idea for BS to do the prequels or outriggers either since there is very little source material to go off. This is in line with RJ's wishes, he was very clear that his was not a "shared" world and I feel we have to respect that.

What I am is a Literature major and neither Shannara nor Dragonlance appeal to me in the least as they are generally considered to be very poorly written. The WoT becoming some sort of licensed, "shared" world series that goes on and on illuminating every piece of history with varying quality of authors sounds like a nightmare and huge disservice to RJ's legacy. Writing an AoL trilogy would be the first step in that direction and in direct conflict with what he wanted.

My sig should give you a hint as to my favorite author and no it's not RJ or even in the Fantasy genre. Others in Fantasy that I have enjoyed are Bakker, Martin, Zafon, Durham, Rothfuss, Kushner and Erikson. Check some of them out, I would be interested to see if any change your mind on the quality of the series you have mentioned.

poorly written? and who is the judge of that? you? have you even read those books in the first place?somehow i doubt it

I read a couple when I was around 11 or 12 and very quickly outgrew them. Some common complaints of both being they are extremely derivative/cliched with poor character development and terrible pacing . Here is what Scott Lynch had to say about the use of cliches in fantasy and I think it's safe to say most stories based on D&D campaigns fall under "ghastly regurgitation". It's not like the Dragonlance series was ever a real attempt at art, the books are basically a marketing campaign for TSR/WotC. Look none of this is to say that there has never been a decent author or book written in the Dragonlance series. You just can't put it on the same level as the WoT or any of the authors I mentioned above.

http://speculativehorizons.blogspot.com/2008/04/scott-lynch-on-fantasy-clichs.html

Archived