DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would you miss most?

GrandpaG

Discussing safe sex is not exceeding the PG-13 rule. On the pregnancy side--there is a tea, readily availiable in WoT-world, and seemingly known to all women, which protects against this. It's almost certainly the reason Min isn't pregnant.

As for STD's... Healing makes that less of a concern, though it depends on your access to Aes Sedai.

But yes, condoms are helpful things. Take note, kids.

It would be hilarious to see someone telling for example Nynaeve that he has burning feeling while peeing :D

"Nynaeve, please go back to tug your hair, our just box my ears instead"

But seriously, how many women would Mat really have to have been "safe" with. I can only think of two off the top of my head. That is not really that many for a four year time span for a good looking young man. As a matter of fact it is quite chaste.

I was under the impression that Mat 1. walks into a tavern. 2. grins. 3. gets some action. But then it was probably in my head

Nah, it's implied that he's getting quite a bit of action from tavern maids, serving girls, etc. I think you're probably correct in your assumption.

I think all of the action that has been implied was a tickle, maybe some powering, and a smooch or two.

RJ was quite clear when he actually did the dead with anyone. Maybe his time in Tear was more fruitful than let on, but remember for large chunks of this story line he was either ruby dagger mad, a "toy", with Tuon, or with an Aiel darkfriend.

In that only puts two notches on his bed post by my count.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This generated a lot more responses than I expected. I hope everyone enjoyed reading it.

Love,

Gramps

i enjoyed this thread very much. even though i had to fight the strong temptation to provide detailed instructions on how to make macaroni and cheese with 18th century technology. let me know if you ever need them, though. :smile:

Discussing safe sex is not exceeding the PG-13 rule. On the pregnancy side--there is a tea, readily availiable in WoT-world, and seemingly known to all women, which protects against this. It's almost certainly the reason Min isn't pregnant.

As for STD's... Healing makes that less of a concern, though it depends on your access to Aes Sedai.

But yes, condoms are helpful things. Take note, kids.

It would be hilarious to see someone telling for example Nynaeve that he has burning feeling while peeing :D

"Nynaeve, please go back to tug your hair, our just box my ears instead"

But seriously, how many women would Mat really have to have been "safe" with. I can only think of two off the top of my head. That is not really that many for a four year time span for a good looking young man. As a matter of fact it is quite chaste.

I was under the impression that Mat 1. walks into a tavern. 2. grins. 3. gets some action. But then it was probably in my head

Nah, it's implied that he's getting quite a bit of action from tavern maids, serving girls, etc. I think you're probably correct in your assumption.

I think all of the action that has been implied was a tickle, maybe some powering, and a smooch or two.

RJ was quite clear when he actually did the dead with anyone. Maybe his time in Tear was more fruitful than let on, but remember for large chunks of this story line he was either ruby dagger mad, a "toy", with Tuon, or with an Aiel darkfriend.

In that only puts two notches on his bed post by my count.

Well, he apparently had "a kiss and a cuddle" with several tavern maids and serving women. Perhaps he just meant a little bit of making out but I always just assumed that that was his somewhat gentlemanly way of putting it after getting some action.

This generated a lot more responses than I expected. I hope everyone enjoyed reading it.

Love,

Gramps

i enjoyed this thread very much. even though i had to fight the strong temptation to provide detailed instructions on how to make macaroni and cheese with 18th century technology. let me know if you ever need them, though. :smile:

My wife buys no name brand from WalMart and mixes it with Velvetta...the grand kids all love it! I mix the left overs with a can of tuna for a tasty treat. I wonder if they have tuna in Randland. :rolleyes: Probably not from a can. Do they even have cans? Can openers?

Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoyed the thread. Anything in life that gives us joy should be cherished because that's what balances the bad stuff ( :aessedai: ).

on some level, i think RJ meant it to mean what we want it to mean.

I think that this is why I enjoyed reading this series. Brandon is more direct. He tends to explain his thoughts more clearly. RJ left it up to you to try to decide what it was that he was trying to say. That's why we spend so much time arguing discussing stuff here at DM.

I'd miss speedy travel. The idea of getting on a horse and spending weeks or months getting to a place instead of a few hours would be infuriating. Hopefully, I could solve that problem by only having to do that to get up to the White Tower where I can hook up with some cute young Aes Sedai who can open gateways for me when I want to go somewhere.

Also, TV and the internet. What am I supposed to do while sitting around my house in the evenings? Talk to people or something? :shudder:

you would most likely boil your clothes in a wash kettle, maybe with some soda to soften the well water. they probably have mangles to wring the clothes dry, or they can do it by hand, then hang on a line, or lay them over clean grass for the sun to bleach and dry completely. in the winter you freeze dry. when i was a kid we still used a washboard, which was easier than you'd think. the little house books give pretty good descriptions of this sort of daily chore.

i'm a gnat's nose away from the macaroni and cheese post. sorry. i used to try to live this way. it's fun when you're young, and gets progressively less so as the years pass.

you would most likely boil your clothes in a wash kettle, maybe with some soda to soften the well water. they probably have mangles to wring the clothes dry, or they can do it by hand, then hang on a line, or lay them over clean grass for the sun to bleach and dry completely. in the winter you freeze dry. when i was a kid we still used a washboard, which was easier than you'd think. the little house books give pretty good descriptions of this sort of daily chore.

i'm a gnat's nose away from the macaroni and cheese post. sorry. i used to try to live this way. it's fun when you're young, and gets progressively less so as the years pass.

Do I detect a former hippie?

You might enjoy the Tinker thread down in the Revolution One RP.

I'd be too incredibly excited about being in WoT with things unfolding around me to worry about what I missed(besides my family/friends of course). First thing I'd do is go learn the sword, preferably under the Gaidin at the WT, not that I would intend to become one, mind you, just so I could learn it from the best. Actually, first I'd go get tested at the BT for saidin, then go learn the sword if I didn't have the ability.

As for your original question, I guess I'd miss my family the most. I'd miss my friends too at first, but I think it wouldn't be as bad because I'd make new ones(hopefully) in Randland.

Heh, kind of the same here. Not necessarily about learning Sadin,though I think I'd go and learn the quarterstaff and Two Rivers Longbow rather than the sword, but definitely would be fun to be in the WoT world... Though, on second thought, I think I prefer reading about Rands awesome balefiring feats from the safety of my couch versus ducking those molten bars of fire :blink:

Yeah, think that would be what I'd like most (first hand awesomeness) and miss the most (safety of watching the scenes unfold from my couch).

Do I detect a former hippie?

You might enjoy the Tinker thread down in the Revolution One RP.

more like a mostly apolitical figuring-out-how-to-survive-just-in-case-ie.

i've always assumed that in the long run or the short run, civilization is, well, doomed. and when i was young, i thought there might be ways to survive off the grid if you had to.

as i've gotten older, i've realized that while it might be possible to survive the destruction of everyone and everything i love, it would, of course, be pointless. plus, kind of dependent on modern medicine and all.

but i do still like to read old books, and they're full of this kind of information. and those PBS reality-house shows provide insight into plumbing, hygeine, and all the other meaningless details of bygone eras that don't get written about as much.

not that i have anything against tinkers :)

It would have to be the food, my instruments and clothes. I mean, i am such a fussy eater and i would be too fussy to eat half the stuff in WoT such as dried up old food.. eeww like, and food with weeviles in them.. :unsure:

And clothes!! All the women there really just wear dresses with one or two exceptions (min). Like i would want to wear jeans, tee shirts, shorts jegins ect, but WoT modesty wouldn't be too happy about shorts!! they would all faint if i even described a bikini to them, lol!! but seriously, I would fry in the summer wearing all those silly dresses.

I would really miss the piano and double bass... i love playing thoses but they don't have any in WoT, maybe i could invent them if i did end up there! :tongue:

I would really miss the piano and double bass... i love playing thoses but they don't have any in WoT, maybe i could invent them if i did end up there! :tongue:

Come into it in TSR/tFoH and get Asmo to help, I'm sure he'd be glad for a more "civilized" instrument.

A.

Come into it in TSR/tFoH and get Asmo to help, I'm sure he'd be glad for a more "civilized" instrument.

A.

You can witness Randland music first hand at a non-electric musical event such as a bluegrass festival. Just wear some dirty jeans and a tacky t-shirt. And a straw cowboy hat. Some of the music is rather good. Makes it easier to imagine the music described in the series. The Randland pub patrons would probably go nuts over the tone of a nice vintage acoustic guitar and a stand up bass. Imagine their reaction to a baby grand!

A.

You can witness Randland music first hand at a non-electric musical event such as a bluegrass festival. Just wear some dirty jeans and a tacky t-shirt. And a straw cowboy hat. Some of the music is rather good. Makes it easier to imagine the music described in the series. The Randland pub patrons would probably go nuts over the tone of a nice vintage acoustic guitar and a stand up bass. Imagine their reaction to a baby grand!

From the description of the music in the books, I don't think there is anything that comes even close to bluegrass.

A.

From the description of the music in the books, I don't think there is anything that comes even close to bluegrass.

Certainly not. More like old ballad-style tunes or something.

A non-electric festival is a good place to hear a Zither or a hammered dulcimer or a fiddle. Also, the atmosphere is different than at electrified instrument performances. When I read descriptions of the music, I hear the instruments because I have heard them live. Had I never attended a non-electric event I would not be able to imagine the appropriate sounds.

No. The music in Randland would not satisfy my occasional urge to hear some classic rock.

Edit:

I once heard a very good husband and wife team. He played flute while she played a full sized harp. They could have pleased the patrons of most any Randland inn, IMO.

Archived