DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would you miss most?

GrandpaG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ability to share information.

in the olden days, before regular people had computers, we did actually share information. better in many ways than we do now. in person, and in print, by newspapers and letters. in person, we could use non-typographic cues to aid our mutual understanding and facilitate social exchanges. in print, we had some time to consider what we wanted to say, and how, and to reconsider whether to send the letter at all. these little buttons that are so conveniently located all over the interwebs make it very easy to instantly commit to communicating whatever the heck crosses our minds moment by moment. this is not always a good thing. and lord knows, instant news has its flaws.

and don't even get me started on cell phones.

i don't think i'd miss most of the information sharing. i'd be too busy making macaroni and cheese, anyway.

The ability to share information.

in the olden days, before regular people had computers, we did actually share information. better in many ways than we do now. in person, and in print, by newspapers and letters. in person, we could use non-typographic cues to aid our mutual understanding and facilitate social exchanges. in print, we had some time to consider what we wanted to say, and how, and to reconsider whether to send the letter at all. these little buttons that are so conveniently located all over the interwebs make it very easy to instantly commit to communicating whatever the heck crosses our minds moment by moment. this is not always a good thing. and lord knows, instant news has its flaws.

and don't even get me started on cell phones.

i don't think i'd miss most of the information sharing. i'd be too busy making macaroni and cheese, anyway.

I believe Luckers was actually referencing the fact that most of the characters of the Wheel of Time don't actively communicate and share information/ideas/plans with one another.

Running water, a sewer system, electricity, the internet, microwaves, and smartphones are all really good answers and I would miss them a lot, but the thing I would miss most is...

AIR CONDITIONING!!!

I grew up without it and I might just off myself if I had to go back to dealing without having ac to escape the 95 plus degree days with 90 plus percent humidity.

Here are some other things I have really grown to love and would really hate giving up:

- My Android phone - most of my posts (including this one is from it.

- My DVR - I hate watching anything live aynmore

- My Synch system in my F-150

Easy obtainable Entertainment(books,theatres,movies,tv shows,sports,music) and fresh and manifold food all year long.

Sanitation is not that hard to build, just go to a potter and tell him what you need the rest is just boiling water and gravity.

For many modern people it shouldn't be that hard to build 19th/early 20th century technologies like steam engines, generators, light bulbs, gun powder+cannons etc.

It's just a matter of ressources and a bit of trial and error, which can be found at one of Rands schools.

With our knowledge of things, we could make huge leaps happen in their technology/society. Shitloads of small things the people of the time would never have thought of.

So something as simple as missing a toothbrush... Ehhh, making a toothbrush ain't exactly rocket science.

Did I miss the post where someone said that they would miss their job/profession? :rolleyes:

How about a refrigerator? Can you imagine having to try to keep your food fresh? Some of the dried up vegetables that those people are eating don't sound very appetizing let alone healthy. I think I have it pretty good.

F150 counts as an automobile...what could the Band of the Red Hand do with a fleet of those! But, then, they would need fossil fuels I guess...or some sort of Moonshine?

Being from Michigan I hadn't actually thought about air conditioning. I do like my insulated house with it's hot water heat (not the bill, though). The $5,000 that my new roof cost this past summer could have bought a LOT of thatch from old Cenn Buie.

With all of our advancements, there have come some down sides. The comments about communication apply. And genuine caring. Strength of family. Morality. Some of those traits have popped up in my mind now and again as I have read the WOT series.

I was going to say antibiotics and healing ointments but I think somebody beat me to it.

I would miss indoor plumbing and toothbrush/paste, but I think I would have a blast. Especially if I could channel.

Er.. did you mean that literally :wink:

What would I miss most? The Internet.

I wasn't thinking literally, but now that you mention it that's even better. I'd probably end up getting killed by Whitecloaks or DFs or something.

How about a refrigerator? Can you imagine having to try to keep your food fresh? Some of the dried up vegetables that those people are eating don't sound very appetizing let alone healthy. I think I have it pretty good.

F150 counts as an automobile...what could the Band of the Red Hand do with a fleet of those! But, then, they would need fossil fuels I guess...or some sort of Moonshine?

Being from Michigan I hadn't actually thought about air conditioning. I do like my insulated house with it's hot water heat (not the bill, though). The $5,000 that my new roof cost this past summer could have bought a LOT of thatch from old Cenn Buie.

With all of our advancements, there have come some down sides. The comments about communication apply. And genuine caring. Strength of family. Morality. Some of those traits have popped up in my mind now and again as I have read the WOT series.

I was going to say antibiotics and healing ointments but I think somebody beat me to it.

the thing is, if aes sedai were out there helping people instead of sitting in the ivory White Tower, they could replace most of those functions. Healing could overcome sicknesses (esp the new 5 power type) and Keepings could preserve food without need for refrigeration. Traveling and Dreaming and ter'angreal could allow mass communication. There are weaves that can cool or heat the room. But instead, aes sedai spend all day plotting and manipulating. Why aren't Yellows going out into the world to Heal more often instead of waiting for people to come to them anyway?!

So what would I miss? I have to say the same as everyone - central heating, plumbing, sanitation, easy access to food and refrigeration. Things like internet etc I could easily do without.

Sanitation that doesn't involve rivers.

They built Jakes, which aren't exactly unsanitary, though they ain't flush toilets.

I would miss toothbrushes. With all of the kissing and pipe smoking going on, exactly how do those mouths taste? Especially in the morning?

Imagine this:

GrandpaG walked into the nice, clean looking inn and chose a seat at a table that only had a few patrons. He exchanged news of the world with the other travelers and ordered a plate of mutton, peas, and turnips all smothered in gravy along with a nice table wine to wash it down because he knew how he would suffer if he drank the local water. He enjoyed his meal and conversation. The atmosphere was pleasant and the waitress was attentive and friendly. When he was finished and his place had been cleared the waitress approached him about his bill. He produced his corporate card and told her to include a nice gratuity for herself. She looked wonderingly at the hunk of plastic then motioned to two very large, very gruff looking gentlemen standing by the door. Each of them lifted an armpit and GrandpaG was deposited roughly in the kitchen where he was told that he WOULD work off the price of his meal.

They didn't touch on this at all, and it's something I like about the song of ice and fire. In times when swords and daggers were common there weren't plates. There were either trenchers or hardbread bases, in the case of ireland. Also, the reason everyone carried a "belt knife," which isn't what we think of as a belt knife, was really the equivalent of a fork, since inns and serving rooms didn't supply plates, or utensils. It was trenchers or hardbreads.

More Jerky for me. I'm a guy, with external genitalia, I think that Jerky, bacon and pretty girls is all it takes to live a good life.

Brb, need to have a heart attack.

I think i could live without running water or electricity , but there certainly are things i'd miss from our world.

Powertools. Chopping wood for fires without a chainsaw would be a pain in the ummm... behind. It took more than a month with a chainsaw and help of my dad to get enough for one winter.

Potatoes. Not only tasty ,but one of the easiest food to grow. Also have you ever eaten turnips? They're awful.

Drinks. Whisky and lager to be excact. Only beer IIRC is ale (annoying stereotype in fantasy) and brandy seems to be distilled wine or moonshine made of apples.

Next should be ignored by all of those people who keep this forum PG-13.

yes it means you

Condoms. Lets face it Mat's been lucky in more ways than one. IRDK if this is an adult theme.I learned the importance of safe sex in school at age of 11 but one never knows americans and other fundamentalists

Music. No matter how good Thom Merrilin is with his harp he ain't AC DC.

And then there is the fact that one should have connections to all over the world just to get some things that one would think are basic needs. You need to know seanchan to get coffee. You need to know aiel to get sauna. You need to know cairhienin (IIRC) to get chili peppers.

Discussing safe sex is not exceeding the PG-13 rule. On the pregnancy side--there is a tea, readily availiable in WoT-world, and seemingly known to all women, which protects against this. It's almost certainly the reason Min isn't pregnant.

As for STD's... Healing makes that less of a concern, though it depends on your access to Aes Sedai.

But yes, condoms are helpful things. Take note, kids.

Discussing safe sex is not exceeding the PG-13 rule. On the pregnancy side--there is a tea, readily availiable in WoT-world, and seemingly known to all women, which protects against this. It's almost certainly the reason Min isn't pregnant.

As for STD's... Healing makes that less of a concern, though it depends on your access to Aes Sedai.

It would be hilarious to see someone telling for example Nynaeve that he has burning feeling while peeing :D

It would be hilarious to see someone telling for example Nynaeve that he has burning feeling while peeing :D

"Nynaeve, please go back to tug your hair, our just box my ears instead"

But seriously, how many women would Mat really have to have been "safe" with. I can only think of two off the top of my head. That is not really that many for a four year time span for a good looking young man. As a matter of fact it is quite chaste.

But seriously, how many women would Mat really have to have been "safe" with. I can only think of two off the top of my head. That is not really that many for a four year time span for a good looking young man. As a matter of fact it is quite chaste.

I was under the impression that Mat 1. walks into a tavern. 2. grins. 3. gets some action. But then it was probably in my head

I was under the impression that Mat 1. walks into a tavern. 2. grins. 3. gets some action. But then it was probably in my head

Nah, it's implied that he's getting quite a bit of action from tavern maids, serving girls, etc. I think you're probably correct in your assumption.

Archived