DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First Time Reading the First Book

Always Sunny

Okay. So I've never read the Wheel of Time books before, just so you know. In fact, I'm new to the whole "epic fantasy" genre. But my roomie said that this book would be a great place to start.

I've also been told that the online community would appreciate hearing from a new reader as I read the first book. Who am I to disappoint the online community, eh?

Spoilers don't bother me. Sure, I'd like it if you don't mention what happens but it isn't the end of the world if people slip up. Just, you know, don't call me an idiot if I get things wrong.

Oh, yeah, that's something else I was told: "theories and opinions are good." It's supposed to be complicated (I like complicated!) and there are twists that I won't see coming. Look forward to it! Look forward to getting things wrong, too.

But here I go, rambling on! I really do that too much.

There is a link below to what I have to say about the first bit I've read. So far Rand and Tam have made it to the town of Emond's Field to drop off their apple cider. I'm a big fan of Tam and Ewin. Mat and Bran al'Vere? Not so much.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE these threads. Please keep posting. We love to live vicarously through the eyes of new readers. Very in-depth write-up. You'll have to let us know how much of your questions are just musings and how much you actually want some guidance and answers. We should be able to give you a little additional background without spoiling the story.

Also, I know you mentioned you don't mind spoilers but I think we should still warn you - This board contains discussion of books all the way through the most recent, so I would be careful searching through any thread other than this one.

Wow, I loved that write-up. It's really interesting to see the opinions of someone new to the series.

All I'm going to say is that some of your ideas are pretty spot-on, but you're also going to find some interesting revelations as you read further into the series.

Also, in terms of gender relations and how they're portrayed in the WoT universe: just keep reading...

HA, LL Cool Tam made me giggle out loud. Nice.

Your thoughts on Bran are amusing... :) in a good way!

I will be monumentally impressed if you can keep up the commentary through all the books; most threads like this stop around book three or four. so please keep going! :)

Most people don't like Mat till book 3 or so.

Oh for sure, it's just really hard remembering him in that way now.

Almost makes you envious of Always Sunny, still innocent and untainted.

Not like the detail crazy conspiracy theorists we have all become :biggrin:

Best of luck, and have fun. And a warning: The books get dull and think for a period, Crossroads of Twilight can be skipped also completely without missing anything (you need to read the last couple chapters to see the only changes in the entire book). But things improve massively afterwords.

Have fun, and don't worry no one will laugh at your guesses, well, not for them being stupid anyway, you should have seen some of the more ridiculous things people came up with, and when they started turning out right... Seriously though, do your best and don't get discouraged!

Great Job dude.

So I am actually doing a reread through myself. Totally forgot a lot of the Small things. I am back on book 4. I gotta say, Impressive write up. I hope you can keep up with it. I know I would totally get exhausted with it. In fact, some chapters leave you hanging and make you go on to the next one to figure out what happens. I hope you have the Discipline to stop after each chapter and write. Good luck son. You gonna need it.

Sweet work though. I can tell you loved English class.

And a warning: The books get dull and think for a period, Crossroads of Twilight can be skipped also completely without missing anything (you need to read the last couple chapters to see the only changes in the entire book).

I wouldn't say that, it is a part of the whole long story. If CoT is read as a standalone book it might be a bit slow but as a part of the series nothing should be skipped.

And a warning: The books get dull and think for a period, Crossroads of Twilight can be skipped also completely without missing anything (you need to read the last couple chapters to see the only changes in the entire book).

I wouldn't say that, it is a part of the whole long story. If CoT is read as a standalone book it might be a bit slow but as a part of the series nothing should be skipped.

I suppose, he won't have to deal with the waiting period (its going to be ~1 year from now for the final book) that turned many people off (I know I never had to deal with it, I started last summer, but I read way too much and too fast).

lol at being upset that women seem delegated to a lesser role in WoT society.

Far too often I hear people complaining about the opposite, but hey, you're just at the start of the series. It'll be interesting to see how your views evolve on that, even in regards to how Emond's Field is run.

Far too often I hear people complaining about the opposite, but hey, you're just at the start of the series. It'll be interesting to see how your views evolve on that, even in regards to how Emond's Field is run.

I think it's less about how much power the women have (which is about equal if not more) and more about the traditional roles, and the stereotypical portrayals. Men are open and straightforward, but women are devious and work behind the scenes to undermine the men (or threaten to stop cooking).

I think his disappointment stems from the fact that the series was sold to him as one that the women have a lot of the power but he hasn't seen this so far. Not necessary that their roles are lesser than we see in our life. Just lesser than he was expecting based on how the series was described to him.

On the women's power thing in WOT, keep reading. Remember these things too, tEOTW (especially the first few chapters) is mostly from Rand's perspective, a 19 yr-old who grew up on the farm. Second, all you've seen is the village council of a backwater town. Even in this backwater town, look for the women's circle and the role of the Village Wisdom.

First, I want to thank everyone for commenting. It's great to know someone's reading what I'm writing!

I had to buy my own copy since I'm such a big fan of writing in the margins. I couldn't do that to my roomie's book. But that means I only own one book and that's as far as I plan to do this read thing. Well, unless I like the book that much and really need to continue.

As for the women, it isn't just that they are (so far) just support for the men. That's a big thing. But it's that they don't seem to be able to do things on their own. Tam lives alone, right? He doesn't need a wife. But all the single ladies we see? They need a husband. That's why they're hitting on Tam. That's why Thom and Cenn are telling Nynaeve to stop being a Wisdom and start making babies (more or less). The menfolk of the Village Council don't need women when they interrogate the peddler, do they? I get this feeling that men do things alone while women need help (even the noblewoman Moiraine needs her bodyguard).

But you say this gets better later on and I believe you. I'm holding out!

Okay, there is a link to my next blog post. I'm actually a little bit ahead in the story but it takes time to write all of this down. I usually take notes in the margins or on post-its as I read so when I'm done I can come back and flesh it all out. It ain't a perfect method but, hey, it works for me.

Oh, and thanks again for reading!

Nynaeve is just very young for a village Wisdom, and looks even younger than her age, that's all. (I think she looks Rand's age, and is only a few years older than him, right?) It's her age that upsets people when she orders them around, not her gender.

I also think you've interpreted the women's interest in Tam in a way that's not how it's intended in the series. It's supposed to show that women can express interest without needing a man to initiate it. It also shows that women can shamelessly express sexist beliefs in public, and not even have men challenge it most of the time. (Women in this culture are always saying that men can't take care of themselves and try to do things alone when they shouldn't, and need women, and can't make good decisions without women.)

I'm going with Egwene. She's got hopes, ambition, and she'll defend her friends even when they don't realize they need defending.
Impressive. Most impressive.

Thom doesn't seem to know Moiraine but being so traveled he knows her type, no doubt.
Even better !

You're good!

Archived