DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any original fans left?

Guest astinus4

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My name is Matt and I am a Wheeler. (Do we WOT addicts have a fan name?)

I started the journey with TEOW back in 1991. It was a gift. "You like fantasy so I thought you'd like this." (Good gift choice...listem to me talk about the book review in the paper and how it sounded neat.) Finished it in 3 days, hoped for a sequel. (Read TGH in 1 day.) Then was ready for the end of the trilogy....

I'm not actually an "original" in the sense of starting when TEOTW came out, but I come pretty close. I'd sen the book on the selves for a while, but since I didn't really care for fantasy, I kept passing it by. Then a cousin of my girlfriend died and left a nice sized library of paperbacks. She gave me my pick of them before donating them..The first one I picked was TEOTW (Because the cover art looked so good (BTW, that is the only cover in the entire series which was good. IMHO). I read it and then went out and picked up the next two and read them..Then I waited and have been waiting ever since..I feel like Puckstany Phil sometimes..I come out of hibernation every two years or so, read the next installment, hang around for a couple of months reveling in the afterglow and then back to sleep...As a matter of fact, I'm heading back to bed soon...

When is MOL coming out again..Do we really have to wait until next year?

I picked up Eye of the World when it came out in paperback (it was a weird, big sized book for a paperbook). I couldn't tell you what year that was, but it was a long time ago. I haven't been able to take my eye off the series since. love it!

Started the series right after I joined the Navy I was 18 I am now 34 so I think I am an orginal.

I checked out a copy of tEotW from the ship's library 20 years ago during Desert Storm on the USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT.

I'm slightly dyslexic so RJ's descriptive writing style really put me off at first. I didn't even get to the Trollocs' attack on EF before I said to heck with this. I was going to return the book but a coworker said he would read it.

He read over 200 pages that first night and said he loved it. He finished it two days later and talked me into reading 200 pages before giving up. And I ended up loving it.

Been hooked ever since!

I started a couple of weeks after Eye of the World came out, the only reason I remember is that my friend Tom bought it when it first came out and recommended it to me. Thanks Tom. After the LoC came out I took a break from the series, lucky for me I collect books, so I bought 1st editions of each as the came out, so picking it back up was easy.

I might be considered one of the "new" fans. I got the first book from a nephew the day before the author died.

Did not know that at first, but found out later. Have been buying the rest through Barnes & Nobel.

I guess he had books 1 through 11 then. Same nephew has gotten another relative involved in this series.

I think we all consider ourselves "original" fans. I mean, I haven't stopped reading them since I started 15 years ago. But, I was too young in 1990 to read a book as big as EotW. I started just after aCoS was released, and I've now been reading the series for more than half of my life.

I picked up Eye of the World when it came out in paperback (it was a weird, big sized book for a paperbook). I couldn't tell you what year that was, but it was a long time ago. I haven't been able to take my eye off the series since. love it!

I think that you are probably describing a trade paper back. I didn't even know Eye and TGH were released in hard cover originals because all I saw were the trade paper backs at my local book store during their initial first run release.

I read Eye the Christmas it came out in mass market paperback, so Christmas '90. My first copy of TGH (the only one I didn't have to wait for) was the larger trade paper back. Actually I got worried before I actually started The Great Hunt that it wasn't a continuation of TEotW but the actual tales of the Great Hunt of the Horn that Thom would recite. I don't know why I thought that at first, but I was only 14.

I was given the first book in 5th grade by my step dads coworker. '98? Since then I have done so many rereads I am on my 5th copy of eotw (can anyone say "shoddy tor covers"?)

I've seen several people have problems with this. I've re-read my copies of the early books 8-10 times and my covers are still in good shape. The "but" to that statement is that my copies came from the Science Fiction Bookclub and they resize (to a slightly smaller size) and reprint all books themselves (I think). They are also about 1/2 the price of the bookstores. Anyone who buys Sci Fi or Fantasy books should check it out. www.sfbc.com (please note I do not represent the bookclub in any way :biggrin: )

My addiction to WoT began when I borrowed my best friend's copy of EotW in junior high...probably 1998/99. After reading it, I was hooked and used up all of my saved allowances to go buy all the rest of the books that were out at the time. Upon learning that the series wasn't finished, I began re-reading the series over and over until a new release. I read new releases twice in a row then re-read the series again. I can't believe that each time I still notice something new. *sigh* It's good to know I'm not the only addict lol

I started reading TEOTW back in the winter of 1990. Before reading the WOT, my favorite fantasy series was the Shannarra books by Terry Brooks. However, after reading The Eye of the World, I knew that I held something extremely rare and special in my hands.. and that was a book that I could re-read several times and enjoy reading each and every time.

Without a doubt, the WOT is by far my most favorite fiction series of books.... and that says a lot for me, because I have read well clost to about a thousand novels in the last 33 years of my life.

I'm about as original as you can get.

I remember seeing an ad for EOTW in the book section of the Washington Post right when it was released and when I went to work the next day I stopped in the bookstore at lunch but couldn't remember the name of the book or the author. D-oh! I asked at the counter and said the cover had a big guy on a horse with a lady on a much smaller horse. The cashier looked at me like I was nuts. Of course when I got home the paper was already taken by the trash man. I went to a different bookstore a couple days later and saw it and bought it. The guy said it started slow but to stick with it. I never thought it was slow and was hooked immediately. Can't even count how many times I've read the thing over the years.

Do you still live in the DMV? I grew up in Md inside the Capital beltway and currently live in St. Mary's county in southern Md.

I joined the Navy in 1987 so I wasn't in the DMV when tEotW came out.

Grew up in Silver Spring, just off New Hampshire Ave. I'm still in the area, but in Virginia now (Fairfax County). Area sure is different then when we were kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was 20, so 1993... If I remember correctly I was able to get the first three (I think?) books & had to wait for book 4...

I remember being stuck in my car in a car park, I couldn't leave until the person who'd blocked me in came and moved their car. I was pissed at first, but thought I'd start reading the new book I'd just borrowed from the library while I waited. I was hooked from the first paragraph & I didn't want to put the book down, when the guy came to move his car. I went straight home and read until the book was finished, then I went & bought all (three ?) first books. I'm now 37 and don't have as much time for reading because I have three kids, but I told my husband that I'll be getting myself a hotel room on the weekend that AMOL is released!! Should start on another reread now, I guess!

:-)

I'm about as original as you can get.

I remember seeing an ad for EOTW in the book section of the Washington Post right when it was released and when I went to work the next day I stopped in the bookstore at lunch but couldn't remember the name of the book or the author. D-oh! I asked at the counter and said the cover had a big guy on a horse with a lady on a much smaller horse. The cashier looked at me like I was nuts. Of course when I got home the paper was already taken by the trash man. I went to a different bookstore a couple days later and saw it and bought it. The guy said it started slow but to stick with it. I never thought it was slow and was hooked immediately. Can't even count how many times I've read the thing over the years.

Started slow?? Boy! I was hooked from the beginning like you! Started slow!!

:-)

Archived