DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Songs from the 1980s - It's a Knockout (Winner: Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler)

Corki

Round 1, Tie 5

Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden

Run to the Hills was Iron Maiden's first single from their 1982 album The Number of the Beast. It was first single released by the band to feature new vocalist Bruce Dickinson. When analysing the lyrics, it is obvious that they relate to the violence visited upon Native Americans in the Nineteenth Century. Nominated by Imperium, he thinks it is a classic. The song has been recorded and released several times since its initial release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDd-GXkMrJs

vs.

Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles

Walk Like An Egyptian is a 1986 number 1 hit in 1986 for the American all-female band The Bangles. It topped the US Billboard, and reached number 3 in the UK. The song was written by Liam Sternberg while he watched people on a ferry walking awkwardly to keep their balance - and this reminded him of figures on Ancient Egyptian reliefs. The music video was nominated for Best Group Video in the 1987 MTV Video Music Awards. One of the popular scenes from the video is of Susanna Hoffs moving her eyes side to side in a close up.

Voting ends Wednesday 16th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Tie 6

It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by R.E.M.

It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) is R.E.M.'s 1987 single. It only reached number 69 on the US chart in 1987; and it only charted at number 87 in the UK. It's probably something to do with the stupidly long name! It did manage to get to 39 on its 1991 release in the UK. AMD44 nominated it because "the song is just fun to listen to and to sing along with". A high tempo song, it is known for starting with four apocalyptic references. Do R.E.M. do happy music?

vs.

Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

Time to roll out the number 1 song from the 1980s according to VH1. It was the third single from their Slippery When Wet album, and was released in October 1986. It was well received on both rock and pop radio stations, and the music video received heavy play on MTV. It became the band's second consecutive number 1 on the US Billboard, and with time, has become their signature song. Like all great songs, it wasn't liked by Jon Bon Jovi. It is just as well that Richie Sambora convinced him otherwise for it has collected a host of awards and honours.

Voting ends Wednesday 16th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

So, time to wrap up the latest ties, and a big thanks to everyone who has voted.

In tie 5, The Bangles and Walk Like An Egyptian progress with a 5-3 victory over Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden.

Joining them in Round 2, it is Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi, which triumphed over It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by R.E.M. with a comfortable 6-3 victory.

Time for the next two ties!

Round 1, Tie 7

I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses

Released as the third single from the band's debut album The Stone Roses, it was released in the US at the very end of 1989. The song was the atmospheric opener on the album. The song features Mani's recognisable bass line, John Squire's droning guitars and Ian Brown's hushed ominous vocals. Nominated by Majsju, he says "it is a key link between Madchester and the Summer of Love, and the Brit pop that would come to dominate the early 90s. And no song is more symbolic of all that than this".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suwIhdHfHFA

vs.

I Know It's Over by The Smiths

Time now for another nomination by Majsju. I Know It's Over by The Smiths comes from their third studio album The Queen Is Dead. The album was released in 1986, and the song is the third track. According to Majsju, "The Smiths are mostly known for more danceable pop tunes, but for me, this song is what cemented my love for the gloomy Mancs". It certainly isn't the most cheery sounding of songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllyjvsRxiY

Voting ends Thursday 17th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 8

Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran

Released in 1982, Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran peaked at number 5 in the UK, and number 3 in the 1983 in the US. The song eventually broke into the US stream through repeated play by MTV. Filmed in the jungles of Sri Lanka, the music video evokes the atmosphere of the film Raiders of the Lost Ark, and won the first Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video in 1984. Nominated by Imperium, he isn't sure why he likes it so much, but "it's just one of those songs I hear on the radio and I won't flick over".

vs.

Don't You Want Me? by Human League

From the Human League's third album, Dare, the synthpop song Don't You Want Me? was released in late 1981. It was the UK Christmas number 1 for that year, selling more than 1.4m copies, which also made it the 25th most successful single in UK Singles Chart history. It also topped the US Billboard in 1982, and has thus made the song the band's best known and most commercially successful recording to date. The song's lyrics were inspired when lead singer Philip Oakey read a story in a "trashy tabloid". Originally intended as a male solo, it turn the song into a conflicting duet with Susan Ann Sulley as the female vocalist.

Voting ends Thursday 17th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived