DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Songs from the 1980s - It's a Knockout (Winner: Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler)

Corki

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I apologise for not posting the next ties this morning, but I didn't get into work as early as I expected. Then I had to actually do some work! lol! Anyway, time to conclude the two ties above, and get the last two of Round 2 up, which will run over the weekend.

In tie 5, Blondie's Call Me eased in to the quarter-finals with an easy 5-1 win over The Police's Every Breath You Take.

Joining Blondie in the quarter-finals will be Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, which won tie 6 by 5 votes to 1, defeating Wham!'s Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

The final two ties of Round 2 are on the way!

Round 2, Tie 7

You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC

Considered one of AC/DC's signature songs from their most successful album, Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long was released in 1980. It was a top 40 hit on the US Billboard, charting at number 35. The song is placed at number 10 on VH1's list of "The 100 Greatest Songs of the 80s". It has become a staple of AC/DC concerts, and is never off the set list. The song was nominated by Krakalakachkn.

vs.

Tainted Love by Soft Cell

Originally performed by Gloria Jones in 1965, Tainted Love shot to worldwide success through Tainted Love's 1982 cover version. It reached number 1 in the UK, and after a slow start, peaked at number 8 in the US Billboard, and stayed in the chart for an incredible 43 weeks. Soft Cell's version was slower in tempo compared to Jones' original, and was in a different key. Synthesizers and rhythm machines replaced the original's guitars, bass, drums and horns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWrLhgiX74

Voting ends Sunday 27th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 8

I Melt With You by Modern English

The song I Melt With You was performed by British post-punk and New Wave band Modern English. Released in 1982, it reached number 78 on the US Billboard. Due to regular air time on MTV, the song gained popularity, resulting in inclusion during the closing credits in the 1983 film Valley Girl. It was re-recorded in 1990 and re-released, reaching 76 on the US Billboard. Nominated by AMD44, he says it is "just one of those post punk, new wave songs that says 80's". Oh, and he recommends we look out for guitar player's hair!

vs.

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins

In the Air Tonight first appeared on Phil Collins' 1981 album Face Value. Though initial recorded in 1979, it wasn't released as a single until 1981. It reached number 2 in the UK on its release in January, and number 20 in the US during the summer. The song was written by Collins after divorcing his first wife Andrea. The song, especially live versions, are a great example of Phil Collins' drum skills, and he finished up as runner-up to Neil Peart in our hunt for a drummer for the Band's Dream Band.

Voting ends Sunday 27th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Hello and thank yiu for such a wonderful opportunity to make an appearance here on the band of the red hands "songs from the 1980's!"

Wow, what a line up we have tonight! All heavy hitting tunes that really provided some good tunage back in the day and still do so!

Iv decided both ties now and will announce my decision! I hope it meets with approval!

Firstly- one of my favourite songs by the legendary AC DC vs the awesome Soft Cell track which i think captures the feel of the 80's perfectly. I love both tracks, have them both on my iphone.

Iv decide this one based purely on my own gut. Im sorry, i just love You Shook Me All Night Long more...I hve to vote it. That song makes me move like few others. What a riff, what a rythm, what a beat. Soft Cell rock too tho and this was soooo close.

As for the second tie, again, both great tracks. This time, i have chosen for opposite reasons. Id probably like I melt with you more, personally, but In The Air Tonight I just feel was such a heavy hitter in the 80's, has such an 80's feel, is from a legendary man, I have to vote for it.

Thank you so much, you've been the band, Iv been fnorrll, thank you and good night!

Many thanks, Fnorrll! Feel free to pop by to vote in the other rounds!

Time to wrap this up and move onto the next round.

So, in tie 7 and taking its place in the quarter-finals courtesy of a 5-3 victory, it is You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC, which defeated Soft Cell's Tainted Love.

And taking the last place in the quarter-finals, it is Phil Collins and In The Air Tonight, which defeated I Melt With You by Modern English by 5 votes to 4.

The first two quarter-finals are on the way!

Round 3, Tie 1

Billie Jean by Michael Jackson

Long live the King of Pop! The dance/R&B song became an instant worldwide hit when it was released in January 1983. It topped the charts in the UK and US, and several others across the globe. The song is well known because of its distinctive bass line, and because of Jackson's "hiccu" style vocals. The song has won many awards, including two Grammy Awards, one American Music Award and an induction into the Music Video Producers Hall of Fame.

vs.

Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners

Dexys Midnight Runners released Come On Eileen in 1982, when it reached number 1 in the UK and the US, where it is considered a one hit wonder. They had a previous UK number 1 in the shape of Geno. The song won Best British Single at the 1983 Brit Awards. Opening with a Celtic-style fiddle played over a drum beat, the bass guitar and keyboard soon begin. The song is well noted for its regular changes in tempo and key. The song reached #18 on VH1's Top 100 Songs of the 1980s.

Voting ends Tuesday 1st March 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 3, Tie 2

Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

Time to roll out the number 1 song from the 1980s according to VH1. It was the third single from their Slippery When Wet album, and was released in October 1986. It was well received on both rock and pop radio stations, and the music video received heavy play on MTV. It became the band's second consecutive number 1 on the US Billboard, and with time, has become their signature song. Like all great songs, it wasn't liked by Jon Bon Jovi. It is just as well that Richie Sambora convinced him otherwise for it has collected a host of awards and honours.

vs.

I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses

Released as the third single from the band's debut album The Stone Roses, it was released in the US at the very end of 1989. The song was the atmospheric opener on the album. The song features Mani's recognisable bass line, John Squire's droning guitars and Ian Brown's hushed ominous vocals. Nominated by Majsju, he says "it is a key link between Madchester and the Summer of Love, and the Brit pop that would come to dominate the early 90s. And no song is more symbolic of all that than this".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suwIhdHfHFA

Voting ends Tuesday 1st March 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived