DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Songs from the 1980s - It's a Knockout (Winner: Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler)

Corki

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got in quite late last night after some indoor football with colleagues at work, hence why nothing was done last night. I am just out to get some dinner, but will play catch up tonight. So you have a bit longer to vote if you haven't done so already.

Well, yet another good turnout for those ties.

So, in tie 7, I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses eased to a 6-3 win over I Know It's Over by The Smiths to take its place in Round 2.

And from tie 8, it is joined by Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran, which defeated Don't You Want Me? by Human League by 6 votes to 3.

Time for a bumper bundle of ties - 4 of them to be exact. Please vote once all ties have been posted. Posts will be deleted otherwise.

Round 1, Tie 9

Gold by Spandau Ballet

Nominated by Corki, mainly because it was missing from VH1's list of Top 100 songs from the 1980s. It recently gained the vote of "Tune" in a recent "Tune or No Tune" thread. Gold became the second biggest single released by Spandau Ballet, whose music is a mix of synthpop, new wave and pop rock. Gold reached number 2 in the UK and 29 on the US Billboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU

vs.

Call Me by Blondie

Released in 1980, Call Me was one of the biggest chart successes for American new wave group, Blondie. It topped both the UK and US charts. The song was the main theme of the film American Gigolo. The song was originally intended for Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, but a contract agreement prevented her from recording. Instead, it was offered to Debbie Harry and Blondie. There are many different versions of this song available - and even today, over 30 years on since its release, it is awesome live!

Voting ends Saturday 19th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 10

Every Breath You Take by The Police

Written by Sting, Every Breath You Take became one of the biggest hits of 1983. It spent 8 weeks at the top of the US Billboard, and 4 weeks at the top of the UK charts. Sting won Song of the Year and The Police won Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal at the 1984 Grammy Awards. This song is considered to be The Police's signature song. It is also estimated that the song generates between a quarter and a third of Sting's music publishing income. Many people think it is a positive song - far from it, since it was written during the collapse of Sting's marriage.

vs.

West End Girls by the PetShop Boys

Bringing back the memories for Karasayl, West End Girls was written by Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe, who made up the Pet Shop Boys. Inspiration for the lyrics came from T.S. Eliot's poem The Waste Land, and focuses on class, and inner-city pressure. The song is cited as a high in the duo's career. Originally released in 1984, it wasn't until 1985 that it achieved success. Initially charting at a lowly 80 on the UK charts, it had topped the charts within 8 weeks.

Round 1, Tie 11

Just Like Heaven by The Cure

Alternative rockers The Cure released Just Like Heaven in 1987. Lyrics were written by frontman Robert Smith, who got the inspiration from a past trip to the sea shore with his future wife. In the UK charts, it reached as high as number 29. Nominated by Majsju, he said The Cure were "one of the most iconic bands during the 80s, it is not easy to pick one particular song. But, for the populace, this is probably the most well known song".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_ux2H473I

vs.

Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler

Time for a power ballad sung by the Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler. It was the first single release from her fifth studio album, Faster Than the Speed of Night. It topped many charts across the world, including the UK, the US and New Zealand. At its peak, it sold 60,000 copies per day, and approximately 6 million copies in total. For football fans, former Chelsea favourite Gianfranco Zola appears prominently in the closing scenes of the music video. Tyler's big powerful vocals probably help this perform well in polls - including number 72 in the UK's "The Greatest Number Ones Of All Time" back in November 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ujmb3jQAJE

Round 1, Tie 12

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!

English pop duo Wham! released Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go in 1984, and it became the group's first UK number 1. It was written and produced by George Michael, and started a softer, sunnier image for the duo. Inspiration for the song came from a note written by Andrew Ridgeley (the other half of the duo) which was intended to read "wake me up before you go" but with "up" accidentally written twice, so Ridgeley wrote "go" twice on purpose. This song also appeared in soundtrack for the 2001 movie Zoolander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3Y5qfnhGc

vs.

Battery by Metallica

Battery is the opening track of Metallica's third album, Master of Puppets. In 1986, it was the second single to be released from the album. The song begins with a slow, clean guitar part, before moving into a very fast minimalist thrash metal riff that is the basis for the rest of the song. The album has the theme of control running through it, and lyrics in Battery support this. They discuss the control that anger can have over one's behaviour. The song was nominated by Imperium.

Thanks to those who voted over the weekend. I am moving this forward and getting the next 4 ties up so we should finish by the end of February!

Of the last 4 ties, we had 2 clear winners, and 2 ties. In order to speed this up, I have cast the final winning votes in the ties.

Call Me by Blondie beat Gold by Spandau Ballet by 3 votes to 1 to take their place in Round 2.

Joining them in Round 2 is Every Breath You Take by Police, which defeated West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys by 3 votes to 1.

Our first tie was between Just Like Heaven by The Cure and Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler, but my additional votes goes to Bonnie Tyler, who progresses by 3 votes to 2.

And my additional vote in the final tie went to Wham! and Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, which won by 3 votes to 2 over Battery by Metallica.

I am getting the next four ties up, so please hold off from voting until all are posted.

Round 1, Tie 13

Take My Breath Away by Berlin

Take My Breath Away is the name of the love song from the 1986 film Top Gun, starring Tom Cruise. The song was written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock, with Berlin, an American New Wave/Synthpop band, performing. It was a highly successful song, as it won the Academy Award for Best Original Song as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song in 1986. The song scored multiple top 5 hits across the world, including number 1 in the UK and US. It reached number 3 in 1990 when it was re-released. An iconic song from the 1980s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1LzIfL4PH0

vs.

You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC

Considered one of AC/DC's signature songs from their most successful album, Back in Black, You Shook Me All Night Long was released in 1980. It was a top 40 hit on the US Billboard, charting at number 35. The song is placed at number 10 on VH1's list of "The 100 Greatest Songs of the 80s". It has become a staple of AC/DC concerts, and is never off the set list. The song was nominated by Krakalakachkn.

Voting ends Monday 21st February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 14

Round and Round by Ratt

Round and Round proved to be the biggest hit of glam rockers' career. Nominated by Imperium, he was surprised this only came in at number 51 on VH1's list of "The 100 Greatest Songs of the 80s". He feels this is the case since it is less well known than some of the other songs on the list. He says it is a hidden gem, and "too damn catchy". The song is known for Stephen Pearcy's raspy, bluesy, yet provocative vocals, Robbin Crosby's and Warren DeMartini's twin guitar leads, Juan Croucier's thumping basslines and Bobby Blotzer's thunderous drum sounds.

vs.

Tainted Love by Soft Cell

Originally performed by Gloria Jones in 1965, Tainted Love shot to worldwide success through Tainted Love's 1982 cover version. It reached number 1 in the UK, and after a slow start, peaked at number 8 in the US Billboard, and stayed in the chart for an incredible 43 weeks. Soft Cell's version was slower in tempo compared to Jones' original, and was in a different key. Synthesizers and rhythm machines replaced the original's guitars, bass, drums and horns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWrLhgiX74

Round 1, Tie 15

I Melt With You by Modern English

The song I Melt With You was performed by British post-punk and New Wave band Modern English. Released in 1982, it reached number 78 on the US Billboard. Due to regular air time on MTV, the song gained popularity, resulting in inclusion during the closing credits in the 1983 film Valley Girl. It was re-recorded in 1990 and re-released, reaching 76 on the US Billboard. Nominated by AMD44, he says it is "just one of those post punk, new wave songs that says 80's". Oh, and he recommends we look out for guitar player's hair!

vs.

Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper

Time After Time was the second single from Cyndi Lauper's album She's So Unusual. Released in January 1984, the song reached number 1 on the US Billboard in June 1984, and number 3 in the UK. After Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Time After Time is Lauper's most commercial song worldwide. The ballad was nominated for Song of the Year at the 1985 Grammy Awards. Time After Time is considered a classic of the 1980s, and has been a popular song to cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9LBKh3SzhM

Round 1, Tie 16

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins

In the Air Tonight first appeared on Phil Collins' 1981 album Face Value. Though initial recorded in 1979, it wasn't released as a single until 1981. It reached number 2 in the UK on its release in January, and number 20 in the US during the summer. The song was written by Collins after divorcing his first wife Andrea. The song, especially live versions, are a great example of Phil Collins' drum skills, and he finished up as runner-up to Neil Peart in our hunt for a drummer for the Band's Dream Band.

vs.

Straight To Hell by The Clash

Nominated by Majsju, he points out that The Clash are considered the #1 punk band of all times by many. Released as a double A-side single with Should I Stay or Should I Go in September 1982, it is a slow, mournful ballad, in stark contrast to a lot of their catalogue. The lyrics do go on about injustices (steel mill closures, Vietnam War), so it is still keeping to the core elements of The Clash. Majsju points out that the song "marked by sadness rather than the usual anger". It has proved a popular song to sample, with the eerie bassline sampled by M.I.A for her hit single Paper Planes.

Archived