DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Hammer!

Tollieman

Yes there's a Perrin thread, but seriously, this hammer deserves it's own, it's that awesome.

Fine, similar mystical weapons have been created before, but it's the first one we've seen in this series, so let's get at it!

I think we're making a mistake in assuming it's just a power-wrought weapon. I cannot recall Rand or Lan's swords, or Mat's asheranderi burning shadowspawn. Yes, you get lightning when striking thakandar steel, but this hammer burns the shadowspawn.

I think we're looking at a ter'angreal weapon of some sort. And that also means that Neald discovered a (man's) way of creating a new, uncopied ter'angreal.

What do we all think? I can't imagine the legends that are going to spring up about the WolfHammer!

(I'm hoping this hasn't been mentioned - I didn't check :unsure: , I'm hoping not!)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mat's fox-head amulet burns the Gholam, maybe it burns other Shadowspawn as well? Don't recall him ever trying it. Still, that may support the idea that the hammer is a Ter'angreal as well. As for how it happened, maybe it's a physical distillation of Perrin's attitude toward the Shadowspawn -- "The Light burn you!" He poured all his anger into the forging, and Neald channeled it into the hammer.

Mat's fox-head amulet burns the Gholam, maybe it burns other Shadowspawn as well? Don't recall him ever trying it. Still, that may support the idea that the hammer is a Ter'angreal as well. As for how it happened, maybe it's a physical distillation of Perrin's attitude toward the Shadowspawn -- "The Light burn you!" He poured all his anger into the forging, and Neald channeled it into the hammer.

I'm hoping it will be especially effective against Darkhounds, since they are extremely hard to kill short of balefire.

I'm hoping it will be especially effective against Darkhounds, since they are extremely hard to kill short of balefire.

Indeed. Especially since a massive pack was interested in him for a while, and with his link to wolves.........

I don't think Neald channeled anything from Perrin into the hammer. I just think he started doing something hectic (making a new ter'angreal) that needed more power than he had alone. Not that it wouldn't be cool though.

Indeed. Especially since a massive pack was interested in him for a while, and with his link to wolves.........

I don't think Neald channeled anything from Perrin into the hammer. I just think he started doing something hectic (making a new ter'angreal) that needed more power than he had alone. Not that it wouldn't be cool though.

I honestly have no clue if Perrin influenced the HAMMER's (yes, all caps, baby:P) abilities. I will say this, though. If all the hammer does is burn shadowspawn when it hits them, that is kind of weaksaucy, since they are alreay dealing with a very heavy hammer hitting them. Who cares about a slight burn when your skull has been pulverized and your brain has been turned to paste.

It'll be awesome for torturing them, if a little overkill,

Perrin, "let's torture them by burning them".

Faile, "Great idea, let's get some hot coals from our fire".

Perrin, "Not while MyHellWiener lives - It's HAMMER TIME!".

Faile, "husband, you are a genius. I am sure a song will be made of this in the future..."

Hammer +5, with +5 electrical damage to Shadowspawn.

Thor's hammer.

It took all the Power of 8 channelers to make this weapon, everything they had. Where as regular Power wrought weapons were created by 1 channeler and it did not take all their Power, as illustrated later by Neald.

The ter'angreal idea is interesting.

Perrin also feels heat emanating from the hammer, almost like the weapon is alive: "The force of the blow tossed the creature to the side, and--oddly--its skin sizzled and smoked where the hammer had hit. This happened with each blow, as if the touch of Mah'alleinir burned them, though Perrin felt only a comfortable warmth from the hammer".

The hammer does massive damage, it appears to 1 shot kill Trollocs and likely Myddraall.

That massive hammer is nearly 5 feet in length, imagine him facing against a blademaster, I pity the fool/blademaster. With someone of Perrin's strength he would be able to swing that hammer quickly and the blows would be truly devastating.

The real question is, if Perrin throws the HAMMER at Shadowspawn does it reappear in Perrin's hand after?

Or would that just be TOO much of a blatant Thor ripoff?

hehe

For some reason I feel like screaming THOOOOR. I think I watched the Thor movie trailer too much.

I honestly have no clue if Perrin influenced the HAMMER's (yes, all caps, baby:P) abilities.

I'm positive he did, and he knew it.

Perrin was concentrating on his work, as any blacksmith would. Timing the pounding of his hammer to his heartbeats,

"...forge the steel, all else faded... in that focus, he found clarity."

But he also was ruminating on things, stewing things over in head. Our Perrin was always a careful thinker, and his thoughts were heavy:

"The world was cracking, breaking further each day. It needed help right now."

That's when Grady called to Neald (who was heating the metal for Perrin) to ask what he was doing. Neald didn't know, but said it felt right.

"The metal seemed to flow, almost as if shaped by his will alone. What was he making?" Perrin at least thought his will was influencing the work. "...his lungs working like bellows, his sweat was like the quenching waters, his arms were like the anvil. He WAS the forge."

Neald called for the circle at this point.

"[Perrin] felt something leaking from him, as if each blow infused the metal with his own strength, and also his own feelings, both worries and hopes. These flowed from him into the three unwrought pieces."

"The world was dying, he couldn't save it."

He starts thinking about what he wants, does he want his simple life in the Two Rivers, or Faile and leadership? He doesn't want his position, but he doesn't trust anyone else to do it.

"How would he feel if someone else took command, and got [his armies] killed?"

He decides at that point to be a leader, to take command and lead his people.

"Moments ago this process had fed off his anger, but now it seemed to draw forth his resolution, his determination."

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly have no clue if Perrin influenced the HAMMER's (yes, all caps, baby:P) abilities.

I'm positive he did, and he knew it.

Perrin was concentrating on his work, as any blacksmith would. Timing the pounding of his hammer to his heartbeats,

"...forge the steel, all else faded... in that focus, he found clarity."

But he also was ruminating on things, stewing things over in head. Our Perrin was always a careful thinker, and his thoughts were heavy:

"The world was cracking, breaking further each day. It needed help right now."

That's when Grady called to Neald (who was heating the metal for Perrin) to ask what he was doing. Neald didn't know, but said it felt right.

"The metal seemed to flow, almost as if shaped by his will alone. What was he making?" Perrin at least thought his will was influencing the work. "...his lungs working like bellows, his sweat was like the quenching waters, his arms were like the anvil. He WAS the forge."

Neald called for the circle at this point.

"[Perrin] felt something leaking from him, as if each blow infused the metal with his own strength, and also his own feelings, both worries and hopes. These flowed from him into the three unwrought pieces."

"The world was dying, he couldn't save it."

He starts thinking about what he wants, does he want his simple life in the Two Rivers, or Faile and leadership? He doesn't want his position, but he doesn't trust anyone else to do it.

"How would he feel if someone else took command, and got [his armies] killed?"

He decides at that point to be a leader, to take command and lead his people.

"Moments ago this process had fed off his anger, but now it seemed to draw forth his resolution, his determination."

Yeahp. A lot of the series revolves around the application of will. Perrin did something unusual, and niald was curious and fell into perrins will, and the two of them working together wove perrins will with the forging.

Also, at the beginning of TGH before it was ammended to state that Lans sword was power wrought (originally it wasn't) Lan spoke of power wrought weapons "some actually used the power when wielded, others, like this one, you can chop down a tree (I think that is the language) and it will be as sharp as the day it was forged. (which is inaccurate, you don't sharpen a blade when forged you sharpen it later during tempering and hardening, but thats a geek point) unlike this" or something like that. Later, in the reprints lans sword became power wrought.

I thought about this in the convo about "Justice," which I think shows that "Justice" will be like mjolinar in having an actual effect of the one power when wielded, and the will wielding it is enough to control it.

Just a power wrought weapon? Whoever said it was just a power wrought weapon?

When created, all of Perrin's will, his strength and determination went into the weapon as well. When carried it is heavy, almost too heavy to wield in one hand. However while in battle and Perrin lets the Wolf take over it grows lighter and warm. I believe that the weapon will not only burn shadowspawn but will have other powers as well. Possibly even magnifying Perrin's strength - giving him the ability to send shadowspawn flying, consumed by flames with a single blow.

Just a power wrought weapon? Whoever said it was just a power wrought weapon?

When created, all of Perrin's will, his strength and determination went into the weapon as well. When carried it is heavy, almost too heavy to wield in one hand. However while in battle and Perrin lets the Wolf take over it grows lighter and warm. I believe that the weapon will not only burn shadowspawn but will have other powers as well. Possibly even magnifying Perrin's strength - giving him the ability to send shadowspawn flying, consumed by flames with a single blow.

This.

Watch when Perrin uses it. When it's forged, it's almost too heavy for him to lift. In battle, he barely even feels himself using it. There is also a mention during the battle of the hammer growing more effective (including a larger knockback and more impressive explosions) the angrier and more determined Perrin grew during the battle (which is nicely foreshadowed when Elyas tells Perrin back a few books ago that while some people fight cold and emotionless, that isn't the only way or the way Perrin should fight). Note also the feeling of warmth whenever Perrin holds on to it.

I believe that it is a power-wrought Ter'angreal/weapon. It is normally a heavy-duty warhammer, but is triggered by the emotions anger and determination (consider how other ter'angreal can be triggered by things as strange as singing the right song). When triggered, it increases the strength of the wielder and causes directed explosions on impact. It's possible that instead of increasing strength and causing explosions, the effect of the hammer when triggered is to change the effect of gravity on the hammer itself, causing it to feel light to the wielder yet have all its true mass and whatever weight is not experienced by the wielder directed into the target, giving an intense blow.

EDIT: I'm beginning to really like the second of those two ideas, and decided to expand on it. The feeling of weight is essentially the energy being exerted by the gravitic attraction between two bodies, in this case the world of the wheel and Mah'alleinir. Perhaps the ter'angreal, when triggered, stores some of the energy of this gravitic attraction in the hammer, releasing it into the target as kinetic energy? The burns would then be from some of the kinetic energy being expressed as heat energy.

Food for thought: What would happen if someone other than Perrin tried to use it?

one word: BRILLIANT!!!

Now, who is out there with their copies to hand of TGS, I believe it was there you will find Tylee or some Seanchan remarking on the reference from their own version of the prophecies concerning the Wolf King and a hammer. Someone be a dear and look it up for us? :perrin:

Food for thought: What would happen if someone other than Perrin tried to use it?

Good question. I would be interested to see what would happen and if its powers only respond to Perrin.

As a practical matter, unless the hammer does have some sort of power that makes it lighter, there wouldn't be very many men that would be able to effectively wield that monster in battle like Perrin can with his strength.

one word: BRILLIANT!!!

Now, who is out there with their copies to hand of TGS, I believe it was there you will find Tylee or some Seanchan remarking on the reference from their own version of the prophecies concerning the Wolf King and a hammer. Someone be a dear and look it up for us? :perrin:

It's KoD Chpt 4 actually.

Tylee after noting Perrin's eyes and hammer she recites....

"When the Wolf King carries the hammer, thus are the final days known. When the fox marries the raven, and the trumpets of battle are blown"

Thor's hammer.

It took all the Power of 8 channelers to make this weapon, everything they had. Where as regular Power wrought weapons were created by 1 channeler and it did not take all their Power, as illustrated later by Neald.

Perrin also feels heat emanating from the hammer, almost like the weapon is alive: "The force of the blow tossed the creature to the side, and--oddly--its skin sizzled and smoked where the hammer had hit. This happened with each blow, as if the touch of Mah'alleinir burned them, though Perrin felt only a comfortable warmth from the hammer".

The hammer does massive damage, it appears to 1 shot kill Trollocs and likely Myddraall.

That massive hammer is nearly 5 feet in length, imagine him facing against a blademaster, I pity the fool/blademaster. With someone of Perrin's strength he would be able to swing that hammer quickly and the blows would be truly devastating.

Love it!!!

Although i'm more inclined to say:

Hammer +5, with +5 fire damage to Shadowspawn!

Impervious to Damage. Will never need to repair.

Thor's hammer.

Love it!!!

Although i'm more inclined to say:

Hammer +5, with +5 fire damage to Shadowspawn!

Impervious to Damage. Will never need to repair.

Is it Vorpal, and sentient?

"When the Wolf King carries the hammer, thus are the final days known. When the fox marries the raven, and the trumpets of battle are blown"

Having read the creation of his new weapon, reading that prophecy is even more awesome than before!

Having read the creation of his new weapon, reading that prophecy is even more awesome than before!

Also applies to matt he's on his way to get the horn back once he gets someone to take him there.

Archived