DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Jain Farstrider

hurin

I, personally, don't think he's dead. All they would have to do is wound him enough to get by him, as their most sought after goal was Mat/Thom/Moraine.

I think we'll see him again.

I do and it would be proper redemption after being manipulated by the Shadow, to come back as a hero of the horn.

As Perrin would say....it just feels right.

Edited by Finnssss

I, personally, don't think he's dead. All they would have to do is wound him enough to get by him, as their most sought after goal was Mat/Thom/Moraine.

I just hope that if he does come back, it's as Hero of the Horn. If he comes back alive and well I'll just throw the book out of the window.

It's effin' Last Battle. The Ultimate Battle against Good and Evil. I expect good guys to die, too. -_-

I've always thought that Mat believed Noal to be Jain, but since it was never confirmed there was still the moment of "Thom knew and didn't tell me?". And I vaguely seem to recall that he often noted the similarities between Jain's stories and those that Noal told Olver and was slowly becoming more sure that Noal was Jain.

you know, i'm going to say yes he did know

why you ask? well i don't know, but i just always assumed noal was jain farstrider even before the whole towers scene. i also vaguely remember there being reference to it, or a conversation about it in one of the previous books.

i'm actually in the process of re-reading the series so if i come across it i'll be sure to update this post

Cant remember which book it was in but when Noal tells Mat his name is Charin Mat questions him about it, saying that that was Jains surname. Noal said "Oh yeah we're cousins." And then goes on to almost say Jain was manipulated by [ishamael?] but stops himself before saying too much. It was obvious just from that conversation I think, and while Mats PoV never made the connection directly I just think the idea wouldnt have been surprising to him until he really thought about it, which he didnt have chance to do til after the Tower

I just hope that if he does come back, it's as Hero of the Horn. If he comes back alive and well I'll just throw the book out of the window.

It's effin' Last Battle. The Ultimate Battle against Good and Evil. I expect good guys to die, too. -_-

A man lies dying on a narrow bed. It's important that he not die, but funeral pyre is prepared.

(ACoS, chapter 10)

I fear you have to throw your book out of the window, for I think this dream of Egwene is about Noal/Jain

So, I found it interesting, when Jain sacrifices himself for Mat and Thom, he reveals himself and Mat doesn't miss a beat. Mat just acknowledges him as Jain. So did Mat know Noal was Jain the entire time?

Mat just thinks quickly. Remember when he invented a whole backstory of being Thom Grimwell when facing Rahvin in TDR? He did that in a few seconds. Quick thinking, that's all.

I'd think Jain'd become a Hero of the Horn.

He deserves it, although it does make me curious as to why he'd need to tell a Malkieri that "he died clean."

Did it say somewhere that he was a Darkfriend, in an earlier book?

Ishamael used Jain to his uses ("painted him a fool"). How isn't exactly clear, but both Ishy and Jain admit that this happened. Jain is probably ashamed of that, so he tells Mat to tell a Malkieri he died clean. It probably has to do with Isam and how Malkier became part of the blight. Jain caught one of the guys who did it. Maybe he feels guilty of not catching Isam? Or maybe he took part on that process against his will? Who knows? Also, Mat is going to run out of Malkieri men to tell about Jain very soon.

I think that he was sent to shienar or somethign to warn of a big attack from the blight to prevent reinforcements, that would make him look a fool

I don't get this. How would warning of an attack prevent reinforcements? Usually when you warn of an attack you gain reinforcements to push away said attack?

I think that he was sent to shienar or somethign to warn of a big attack from the blight to prevent reinforcements, that would make him look a fool

I don't get this. How would warning of an attack prevent reinforcements? Usually when you warn of an attack you gain reinforcements to push away said attack?

Not if he said Shienar was going to eb attacked, then they would keep their troops at home.

That's very true Avro, but if you look at the old maps online and in the Guide, to get to Shienar from the Blight, through Tarwin's Gap, you had to go THROUGH Malkier. Malkier, as described by Lord Angelmar (spelling), was the TRUE borderland as it sat above the MoD right up against the Blight. So any warning of attack to Shienar would mean that Malkier has fallen which would cause all the other Borderlands to ride up through Tarwin's Gap as quickly as they could to stop the invasion getting further down.

A.

Edited by Aliriel

I'd think Jain'd become a Hero of the Horn.

He deserves it, although it does make me curious as to why he'd need to tell a Malkieri that "he died clean."

Did it say somewhere that he was a Darkfriend, in an earlier book?

Ishamael used Jain to his uses ("painted him a fool"). How isn't exactly clear, but both Ishy and Jain admit that this happened. Jain is probably ashamed of that, so he tells Mat to tell a Malkieri he died clean. It probably has to do with Isam and how Malkier became part of the blight. Jain caught one of the guys who did it. Maybe he feels guilty of not catching Isam? Or maybe he took part on that process against his will? Who knows? Also, Mat is going to run out of Malkieri men to tell about Jain very soon.

Isam is about the same age as Lan and was also just an infant when Malkier fell to the blight. He was carried away by his mother into the blight and never seen again.

As far as what Jain feels guilty for, I think that still remains to be seen and more likely has to do with his disappearance into the blight till he re-appeared at a stedding almost dead. Previous to his disappearance was when he traveled and wrote his book and it's kinda doubtful it was this part of his life that Ishy influenced.

Shienar didn't even become a true borderland until Malkier fell.

Edited by Finnssss

• 8 years later...

I believe that Mat did have some inkling that Noal was more than he seemed. What I would like to know is, who was Jain Farstrider, and why was it important for him to die with honor. I don’t remember reading that legend.

There isn't a lot of detail but Ishy used him somehow and then for a time he was made one of Grendals pets, she deemed him too ugly and sent him down to Ebou Dar.  But I believe it was because of how he was used by Ishy.