DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Jain Farstrider

hurin

I'd have to say no based on his PoV later in the book, he seemed astounded (and PO'd) that Thom figured it out prior to Noal's revelation and didn't share the info. Something to the effect of 'Thom figured it out and didn't tell me..some friend he is' (I dont have my books so don't quote me on that...)

you know, i'm going to say yes he did know

why you ask? well i don't know, but i just always assumed noal was jain farstrider even before the whole towers scene. i also vaguely remember there being reference to it, or a conversation about it in one of the previous books.

i'm actually in the process of re-reading the series so if i come across it i'll be sure to update this post

He didnt know based on the PoV you get from him after the Tower incident. But I dont think he was very suprised to find out that Noal was Jain, Noal had proven him on different occassions before that, he had earned enough respect from Mat that he never questioned the revelation.

I think he suspected but was not completely sure, basically what most of us felt like, so it being confirmed wasn't shocking. All that later passage told me was he expected Thom to share it because he thought Thom wouldn't believe he could have figured it out on his own (and as a friend he should have told Mat the very important information he was missing about Noal). I think they both figured it out and Thom thought it was so obvious Mat could figure it out so there was no need for him to tell. Or perhaps he didn't think it was his secret to share.

The reference was in an earlier book:

Mat: Are you related to Jain Charin?

Noal: ...A cousin.

AHA!

Funny how that conversation automatically turned him into Jain Farstrider for me personally, I completely forgot about the cousin part xD.

Agreed, for some reason I never bought into that whole "cousin" bit. My friends and I had all come to the conclusion that Noal certainly was Jain himself.

Personally, I don't think he's dead. I mean, come on, the man is Jain Farstrider for crying out loud! He's supposedly been to Shara and back, not to mention the tales that say he adventured all the way to Shayol Ghul and survived. Snakes and Foxes killing that man? Please.

Edited for spelling. Fixes and Foxes?

Edited by Davian Rhodrhm

AHA!

Funny how that conversation automatically turned him into Jain Farstrider for me personally, I completely forgot about the cousin part xD.

Agreed, for some reason I never bought into that whole "cousin" bit. My friends and I had all come to the conclusion that Noal certainly was Jain himself.

Personally, I don't think he's dead. I mean, come on, the man is Jain Farstrider for crying out loud! He's supposedly been to Shara and back, not to mention the tales that say he adventured all the way to Shayol Ghul and survived. Snakes and Fixes killing that man? Please.

He's definitely dead. The snakes had his blood on their blades and Jain would of fought till his dying breath to hold them as long as possible.

I doubt we have seen the last of him however, I'm pretty sure at least Matt specifically will see him again ;)

Yeah I always thought he was Jain Farstrider, too. Especially when he always talked "my cousin this" and "my cousin that". And talked as if from his own experience (which they were).

Okay, I didn't ALWAYS think he was Jain, but long enough. xD

AHA!

Personally, I don't think he's dead. I mean, come on, the man is Jain Farstrider for crying out loud! He's supposedly been to Shara and back, not to mention the tales that say he adventured all the way to Shayol Ghul and survived. Snakes and Fixes killing that man? Please.

He's definitely dead. The snakes had his blood on their blades and Jain would of fought till his dying breath to hold them as long as possible.

I doubt we have seen the last of him however, I'm pretty sure at least Matt specifically will see him again ;)

Ah, let me correct myself, when I say dead, I mean I don't think he is gone for good. There are so many places dead folk hang out in tWoT that it seems silly such a legendary being would just be cut short like that. Does make his sacrifice worth more if so though.

Ah, let me correct myself, when I say dead, I mean I don't think he is gone for good. There are so many places dead folk hang out in tWoT that it seems silly such a legendary being would just be cut short like that. Does make his sacrifice worth more if so though.

I'd say he ends up as Hero of the Horn, and meets Mat once Mat blows the horn.

I always interpreted Mat's reaction as him basically knowing they had a whole army of mooks after them, knew they had to escape quickly, and knew there was no time to marvel over the fact that Noal was Jaim. The "oh, you're Jain Farstrider. Thx for sacrificing yourself. Yup, I'll tell Lan. See ya!" might have seemed out of place if the revalation was over a campfire and coffee, but in the circumstances, when they knew they were in imminent danger, it seemed to fit just fine.

I always interpreted Mat's reaction as him basically knowing they had a whole army of mooks after them, knew they had to escape quickly, and knew there was no time to marvel over the fact that Noal was Jaim. The "oh, you're Jain Farstrider. Thx for sacrificing yourself. Yup, I'll tell Lan. See ya!" might have seemed out of place if the revalation was over a campfire and coffee, but in the circumstances, when they knew they were in imminent danger, it seemed to fit just fine.

I'm sure Sanderson's style of writing had something to do with it as well. His dialogue isn't as drawn-out and detailed as RJ's was, so saying, 'l8r jain fasrstird' and ditching is staying in form.

I'm sure Sanderson's style of writing had something to do with it as well. His dialogue isn't as drawn-out and detailed as RJ's was, so saying, 'l8r jain fasrstird' and ditching is staying in form.

except that sequence was written by RJ, not BS.

Wasn't Farstrider introduced in the series to join Mat as a Darkfriend which is why he says to tell them Jain died clean? I know he was an adventurer and his book is read by everyone( and I think it will be important; his book contains a clue concerning the Forsaken and what is in the Blight- IMHO).He caught up with Mat and the Band after he got the Fox ring didn't he?

Well, we know that Ishamael did something to his mind 20 years ago, and possibly Graendal did one year ago, but his memory problems would seem to indicate Compulsion rather than voluntary association with the Dark. Remember that Jain caught Cowin Gemallen.

Wasn't Farstrider introduced in the series to join Mat as a Darkfriend which is why he says to tell them Jain died clean? I know he was an adventurer and his book is read by everyone( and I think it will be important; his book contains a clue concerning the Forsaken and what is in the Blight- IMHO).He caught up with Mat and the Band after he got the Fox ring didn't he?

I don't believe he was ever a darkfriend but he was manipulated by Ish in some way.

Ish tells Rand as much, saying he painted Jain as a fool.

No, not a darkfriend but I think after he figured out that he was manipulated by the Shadow, he didn't see it as much better and considered himself a fool and a failure.

I took Mat's lack of reaction to be a function of the place they were in and stress they were under - no extra energy or time to expend on being shocked, that sort of thing. It's clear Mat had no idea it was Jain from a subsequent PoV as was stated earlier.

I've often wondered what sort of things Ishamael did to him. For the record, I thought it was Jain as soon as RJ revealed his surname. I've thought any number of things that turned out not to be true, so I'm always proud when one does. :D

Well, we know that Ishamael did something to his mind 20 years ago, and possibly Graendal did one year ago, but his memory problems would seem to indicate Compulsion rather than voluntary association with the Dark. Remember that Jain caught Cowin Gemallen.

Thank you! I knew he was introduced after a scene with a Forsaken but I couldn't remember who.Should have thought of Graendel before, she who seems to inherit or obtain other Forsaken's tools(Trollocs, Dreamspike,oath rods,Sharans,etc)

except that sequence was written by RJ, not BS.

Was it? Of all the sequences, that one was pretty low on the list of suspicions I had of RJ writings.

I took Mat's lack of reaction to be a function of the place they were in and stress they were under - no extra energy or time to expend on being shocked, that sort of thing. It's clear Mat had no idea it was Jain from a subsequent PoV as was stated earlier.

I've often wondered what sort of things Ishamael did to him. For the record, I thought it was Jain as soon as RJ revealed his surname. I've thought any number of things that turned out not to be true, so I'm always proud when one does. :D

I agree. Mat only knew that this Noal is more than a simple, worn-out old fellow. Mat knew that there was something more to the man, but he did not know Noal is Farstrider,