DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Memory of Light Speculation

Luckers

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gawyn practically worships Galad, so even for his particular brand of hot-headed idiocy it would be too much if he just attacks his brother without giving him a chance to explain first.

For my money, the only way we're likely to see Galad vs Gawyn is if Gawyn sees Galad and Egwene in what he interprets as "a compromising situation."

Given we're down-to-the-wire and there really is no more room or time for such dark alleys, I doubt that such a circumstance arises. A Memory of Light is supposed to be about tying up as many loose strings as possible, not creating more of them.

Gawyn practically worships Galad, so even for his particular brand of hot-headed idiocy it would be too much if he just attacks his brother without giving him a chance to explain first.

For my money, the only way we're likely to see Galad vs Gawyn is if Gawyn sees Galad and Egwene in what he interprets as "a compromising situation."

Given we're down-to-the-wire and there really is no more room or time for such dark alleys, I doubt that such a circumstance arises. A Memory of Light is supposed to be about tying up as many loose strings as possible, not creating more of them.

Take a look back at my post #342 above, for a (slightly!) more likely scenario.

For the rest, I'm happy to wait and see what that dream of Egwene's about Galad's shroud turns out to mean.

For the rest, I'm happy to wait and see what that dream of Egwene's about Galad's shroud turns out to mean.

My impression has been that a big subtext to the last two books was Gawyn getting past such silliness and acquiring a little more maturity.

My guess about Galad's "wrapping himself in his own shroud" thing was him preparing to take-on Valda. Galad doesn't really have an ego problem. If anything he undervalues himself, and he probably went into that fight fully expecting to die. Even so, he is Galad, and fighting for Morgase is both his duty and his honor, so no matter the outcome he would do that duty openly and honorably.

My impression has been that a big subtext to the last two books was Gawyn getting past such silliness and acquiring a little more maturity.

My guess about Galad's "wrapping himself in his own shroud" thing was him preparing to take-on Valda. Galad doesn't really have an ego problem. If anything he undervalues himself, and he probably went into that fight fully expecting to die. Even so, he is Galad, and fighting for Morgase is both his duty and his honor, so no matter the outcome he would do that duty openly and honorably.

I'm pretty sure that any anti-rand feeling either Galad or Gawyn used to harbour have been removed by actions in ToM.

Quite true. In fact, he now has a problem:

I killed Valda.. Killed him for the death of my mother. Who is not dead. I have done evil.

No. Valda had deserved to die for the assault on Morgase. Or was that part true? He had spoken to Children sure that it was, but they'd also been sure she was dead.

He would sort that out later.

Has he?

Speculation:

Rand at Field of Merrilor : My speculation for this event is that it begins pretty heated. Rand will try and convince the nations on why he needs to break the seal of the Dark One. Perhaps Min will come in with some new information she found that will solidify this need. Some will still be too stubborn to recognize the need to do it this way ( see Aes Sedai ) while others agree. I am starting to think Ewgene will eventually agree to the breaking, with conditions. Rand will then speak of the Dragon's Peace as part of his demands for fighting the Dark One himself and he will then state he is going to Altara ( I think? ) to face the Empress and try and bring the Seachan on their side until the DO is defeated. This is when Mat ( who will have major sway with the Seachan ), Moraine and Thom return. Matt will likely go with Rand to see Tuon, or Fortuona to try and convince her to stop the fighting and leashing.

Rand is Leashed Now that Rand is a bit more reasonable I see a moment where Rand allows himself to be leashed by Fortuona but then Matt lets her in on the secret of the Seachan. That anyone who can leash, can BE leashed. The Empress agrees to forgo all fighting with Aes Sedai and to let Rand off the leash if the secret is kept a secret by Matt and the others who know.

The 3 Become 1 Anyone ever thought of how this might mean that the 3 lovers of Rand will become just 1? A major point of Rand's life is the fact that he has 3 women. Which has never really sat well with anyone. What if Min and Elayne are killed? Leaving only the Maiden, the warrior to stand by his side. I know, this is probably not right, but thought I would throw that in there.

Avi's Revelation Not too certain when this will occur, but I think Avi will cause the Wise Ones to go to War with the Seachan during the last book by telling them of what happened in the Ter'Angreal. This will not sit well, at all, with the Aiel. Unless they try and say it is the final punishment for their great Toh or whatever. Either nothing of great importance will occur from what Avi knows, or it will cause a possible alliance with the Seachan to completely dissolve.

Black Tower Destroyed Something tells me the black tower will not survive the war between the factions of Rand/Logain and of Taim/Demandred. The battle that will be fought with the power will be too much and the whole thing will be destroyed, leaving the Asha'man without a home. Which will drive them to the White Tower to become bonded/warders for Aes Sedei during the last battle. This will also strengthen the Aes Sedai significantly in the future if the Seachan ever decide to fight again.

I doubt the " full attack " on the White Tower will take place. I think it will be stopped by the coming of Rand/Matt to confront the Empress. Thats my theory.

Speculation:

Rand is Leashed Now that Rand is a bit more reasonable I see a moment where Rand allows himself to be leashed by Fortuona but then Matt lets her in on the secret of the Seachan. That anyone who can leash, can BE leashed. The Empress agrees to forgo all fighting with Aes Sedai and to let Rand off the leash if the secret is kept a secret by Matt and the others who know.

Rand would no longer be so intimidated by being leashed, since he could always draw on the TP and vaporize the a'dam.

Tuon already knows the secret of leashing.

I'm thinking the shedding of the Dragon's blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul do not refer to Rand but to the blood of one or more of his children.

Also, the bit about his having to die to live might refer to his dying emotionally by having to sacrifice the life of one of his children in order to defeat the Dark One.

I'm probably way off but I haven't seen anyone else state this theory yet.

Major developments:

Fields of Merilor - I foresee this linking to "The Dragons Peace" and Rand going the Fortuona to beseech her help.

- likely linked to saving Lan in Tarwins Gap

- Rand finding out Elayne is pregnant and he is a father will make for an interesting read.

Reuniting - Rand reuniting with Mat (maybe linked to Seanchan alliance) and more importantly Moiraine.

Lanfear arc - I think Lanfears 3 demands from the Flinns revolve around Lews Therins love or on revenge on him. We know that she is now in his dreams and he may pity her or try and save her. "No one has been in the shadow so long as they cannot return to the light"

Black Tower - There is the lead up to the fight in the Black Tower. Finally figure out if Taim is evil and what happened to Logain. Logain will probably reappear and be the protagonist for this arc.

The Last Battle - open to speculation, but I imagine Rand will not be the major aggressor he will protect everyone from the Dark One.

Rand said the eyes of the shadow are all upon him until he "blinds them" so I assume we will see some aggression from him.

I'm thinking the shedding of the Dragon's blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul do not refer to Rand but to the blood of one or more of his children.

Also, the bit about his having to die to live might refer to his dying emotionally by having to sacrifice the life of one of his children in order to defeat the Dark One.

I'm probably way off but I haven't seen anyone else state this theory yet.

Sorry, I'm inclined to agree that this is probably way off. There's no more chance of that happening than there is of him going back to Egwene and saying, 'I'm sorry, you're right, I was wrong, I'll seal the DO's prison however you want me to while Fortuona and Liandrin wear the bracelets of my a'dam.'

He couldn't bring himself to ignore Egwene's fate in Falme (even though Ishy prevented him doing anything about it). Ingtar is doing his crazy-about-the-Horn dance and reminding him that one Leashed village girl is small potatoes beside the fate of the world. Rand's reply is that if he left her he would damn himself. And he was very bloody sure about that.

There is a small possibility that Darth Rand could have contemplated this infanticidal sacrifice, but even in that state he couldn't have actually gone through with it. Kill innocent babies? Not on your nelly.

In other matters - I've just read all bloody 19 pages of this thread in one sitting and my head is as numb as my arse, to be honest. I think like the BUT and all sorts of previous speculation, we'll all wind up hopelessly wrong.

Two in particular, though:

Black Tower - Rand said something to the effect that he hasn't the time to sort that mess - like Maradon, it would leave him dangerously exposed. Also, I really don't see Fortuona showing up at Tar Valon. Can the Empress really be risked like that?

Also on Madame Bossyboots, nothing would give me greater pleasure than Hawkwing putting manners on her. Of course Mat would then start a row with him - 'nobody talks to my bloody wife like that' - but overall it could be hugely satisfying.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hermalo203

Sup people, just a thought i had but was wondering if anyone had thought of the idea that TAR might have to be used to help seal the DO.

In earlier book it said there were only three constants the creator, the DO, and TAR.

If i remember right it said there is one DO and as long as he is sealed up in one world, he was sealed in all worlds.

If he was freed in one world, he was freed in all worlds.

The creator is just there.

I think it also said TAR surrounded all these worlds.

Would it no be plausible to think that TAR has to be used in some way to help seal the bore

Wolves gather in the dream for the last hunt. this would seem to point to them knowing something about the last battle.

I think you're right about a significant role for TAR in the finale. But Ive always thought that "His Blood" on the rocks of Shayol Ghul was a subtle reference to the Aiel. Not sure what they had to do or what their role was, but it seemed like like something RJ would do. Imagine the sheer # of theories based on this single (semi-)literal interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

the wheel turns to completion

rand vs. do=balefire strong enough that the world forgets he exists

just as we thought cullendor was indestructible and where wrong, eventually we will learn that balefire also somehow “expires” and in the 3rd age people will again sense the TP and bore a new whole into the do’s prison

avinda gets rand to include the Aie in the peace. by the 3rd age the ail turn to the way of the leaf

all the schools allow the world to advance toward another age of legends

mat forces his wife to allow all channlers to chose between the leash or other forms of training exterminating the concept of damne

rand cleans the ways and destroys the blight then is killed by fain using the form of “to sheath the sword” killing fain in the process

logan defeats taim who we find out has been 13x13 since he escaped the Aes Sedai

mat writes a book that tells everything there is to know about being a general

all the channellers of the world create a new coalition of channelrs called Aes Sedai (including men)

just as we thought cullendor was indestructible and where wrong, eventually we will learn that balefire also somehow “expires” and in the 3rd age people will again sense the TP and bore a new whole into the do’s prison

i know their are a lot of lose endings but to me this ending kinda makes sense tell me what you guys think

Considering Nynaeve crying over Lan's dead body - well everyone seems to think this means he will die in the blight attack, which I don't agree/disagree with but just want to point out that she WILL be crying over his body sooner or later.

And unless some sort of "children of channelers MUST be channelers" ret-con is introduced, she will also be crying over the dead bodies of her children, and grand-children and so on.

The woman is going to live to see six or seven hundred after all.

i actually think that she will see a dead body that looks like Lan but is slayer/lord luc

In some thread or other someone not that long ago posted a q& a from somewhere, where Brandon said Nynaeve didn't yet know quite what it meant to be married to him. I for one am going to use this to bolster my completely irrational hope that Lan didn't in fact die at the end of ToM. Fingers crossed...

In some thread or other someone not that long ago posted a q& a from somewhere, where Brandon said Nynaeve didn't yet know quite what it meant to be married to him. I for one am going to use this to bolster my completely irrational hope that Lan didn't in fact die at the end of ToM. Fingers crossed...

Well Lan always said 'bugger off! I'm going to die in my war agasint the shadow, I cannot give you the husband you deserve etc.' So he warned her he was going to die and maybe thats what Brandon meant when he said that.

To be married to Lan is to suffer the consequences of his actions.

or

it could be the whole thing where the survivors of the last battle, that are Lan's little merry group - Malkier(spelling?), all will want to get back together as a nation and will demand Nynaeve to do all the looking after them. She loves healing and to heal a nation would be the biggest task of all.

She should of got together with Micheal Jackson and healed the world.

You know those prove nothing. She has very few POVs in the books, and unless I'm missing something, she has never conclusively shown that she isn't. Keep an open mind here, don't dismiss it out of hand unless there is real proof.

Here thoughts on being strong and worthy enough to help Rand? The dedication and duty she feels towards the Aiel without ever the slightest thought of ulterior motives? She even takes about her destiny being clear now in winning Rands heart and fighting at the LB. No every DF pov we have seen aside from Verin who was a very unique case(even then some readers picked it out)it has been readily apparent where their allegiance lies. Her pov chapters in ToM should be more than enough for any reasonable person to say she isn't a DF.

Perhaps more importantly however she is bound to Rand, Elayne and Min. We know per RJ that when bonded the others would know instantly that something was up. It is why BA sisters need to be so careful when finding a warder.

Ok though just to keep an open mind lets say this, her POV's hint strongly that she is not. Now can you provide anything at all from the text that would hint, strongly of otherwise that she might be a DF to counter that?

Guest PiotrekS

And three women on a boat, one of whom would be Aviendha.

And Avi's visions from ToM, where it was said by her granddaughter that Avi had achieved great honour for the Light in TG.

And everything about Aviendha, there is not a hint of darkfriend in her.

I'm curious about Sorilea, I wouldn't like her to be darkfriend because I quite like her, but why the hell did she ask Cadsuana to show her the male adam...

Archived