DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Memory of Light Speculation

Luckers

However, if I remember correctly, when Mat is rescuing Moraine from the Aelfin, the Aelfin tell Mat that a man had already come to claim "the other woman" (aka Lanfear).

Why does somebody go to the Aelfin tower to fetch Lanfear's body, only to resurrect her in a different form (presumably killing her before the resurrection)?

I highly doubt she was dead when the person went to the tower. They went there because they wanted her to continue to help the Dark One. Sitting in Finnland doing nothing wasn't helpful.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd, my other post seems to have evaporated..

Re power levels and their significance in the AoL: I've not come across anything on that. But this places Elayne on a level with Avi and Egwene (level 15).

I know what level she is, but Illyena earned the 3rd name right? It was given for great accomplishments, and in my mind I'd assume that meant she was pretty damn powerful. Elayne, Avi and Eggy, while powerufl in today's world, don't even rank with the weakest of the forsaken.

It was just a thought, not to discount your theory. That's why I asked about do we know how much power meant in the AOL. I mean, we know power alone couldn't get your everything, but from what we know, most of the greats were powerful as well.

Power would have been important but in a society in which public service and self sacrifice earned the greatest honor I can't see it being a prerequisite. For instance Lanfears character defects held her back from earning a third name.

Regardless I have never liked Elayne as Ilyena reborn. You do raise an interesting question however. Do we know power level stays constant through rebirths?

I would like this particular plot:-

Fortuona raiding the white tower with all the might of seanchan army. in the end she is captured by aes sedai. but then Mat turns up and proclaim her to be his wife, to the wonder of all of them (minus Fortuona!{that is a long name... may be we should stick to Tuon!}). This brings arrogant noses of all aes sedai (including Elayne, Egwene) down. blah blah blah...

this brings end to the feud between Tower and Seanchan. Everyone prepares to fight the true enemy- Dark one and his cronies.

Mat has always been my favorite character in WOT.(maybe we should run a poll stating our favorite character in WOT, hmm...)

thanks

Do we know power level stays constant through rebirths?

Nothing is said, as far as I know. BUT, if people are reborn then power must change in the rebirth, unless nobody alive at the time of the breaking (and the battle before) has been reborn since. If they have been reborn between then and when the story takes place they'd be full power if power follows through rebirth.

As far as Lanfear's new body I believe she needed one because the Finns killed her. I think Moiraine says that they killed her by draining her too quickly which is why she got the angreal and they drained her slower. Additionally I believe that when Moiraine is describing the scene where the man comes for Lanfear she says that they had already killed Lanfear and that the man said Moiraine was not the one he was looking for. Sorry if that was confusing to read. But this implies that if Moridin did go to get Lanfear he had no knowledge of her death, which is weird considering his standing with the DO.

Doesn't one of the prophecies say that Rand will have to sacrifice something? Maybe that's what Callandor is for; he'll draw too much power through it for some reason, thus leaving him unable to channel afterwards. That's callandor's flaw and that would be why it's necessary for the final battle. He could also use it to open up the old wound and spill his blood at shayol ghul - if you look at the bits of the new preface and first chapter, they mention that the soldier's steel doesn't keep it's shape because of the dark one's hold on the world - callandor will probably keep its shape, though.

Just some thoughts - PLUS, the Queen of Manetheren drew too much power to kill the trollocs and dreadlords, once upon a time, when things seemed lost. There's a bit of foreshadowing for you.

Doesn't one of the prophecies say that Rand will have to sacrifice something?

Not saying he won't draw too much power, but the Dark Prophecy quote is as follows: "[Rand] gives his friends for sacrifice." Not sure if Callandor is applicable to this particular quote, although I have no idea what the prophecy is hinting towards...Sounds like he sacrifices one of his friends for the greater good?

One more thought:

Isn't Galad related to Rand? Doesn't the prophecy say "His blood will give us the light"?

Galad and the Children of the Light. Galad's his half brother, right? Maybe, it's Galad's blood....

Yup, both Galad and Rand share the same mother. Two thoughts on this matter: (1) Galad is the perfect candidate to sacrifice himself, as we've been reminded time and time again how selfless he is. Maybe he'll get his hands on one of those cool Blood Rings!. (2) While Galad's blood being spilled may technically satisfy the prophecy, I have a hard time imagining Rand making it out of the Last Battle unscathed and without spilling any of his own blood (if he survives at all).

Not saying he won't draw too much power, but the Dark Prophecy quote is as follows: "[Rand] gives his friends for sacrifice." Not sure if Callandor is applicable to this particular quote, although I have no idea what the prophecy is hinting towards...Sounds like he sacrifices one of his friends for the greater good?

One more thought:

Isn't Galad related to Rand? Doesn't the prophecy say "His blood will give us the light"?

Galad and the Children of the Light. Galad's his half brother, right? Maybe, it's Galad's blood....

Yup, both Galad and Rand share the same mother. Two thoughts on this matter: (1) Galad is the perfect candidate to sacrifice himself, as we've been reminded time and time again how selfless he is. Maybe he'll get his hands on one of those cool Blood Rings!. (2) While Galad's blood being spilled may technically satisfy the prophecy, I have a hard time imagining Rand making it out of the Last Battle unscathed and without spilling any of his own blood (if he survives at all).

Rand gives his friend for sacrifice? There's still time for him and Galad to become friendly. ;)

I just can't wait for the scene where Rand meets Galad again and, if he hasn't already, realize that they are half-brothers. I don't think it will be Galad's blood spilled on the rocks of Shayol Ghul. In my opinion, Galad will be leading Perrin's army while Perrin either fights Slayer or goes to Shayol Ghul with Rand

On the topic of the Dragon's blood. If I remember correctly doesn't EotW explicitly state that LTT killed anyone who had even a drop of his blood and was referred to as Kinslayer. I know that he was crazy and it was probably just his madness but this may foreshadow some importance of the actual blood of the dragon.

On the topic of the Dragon's blood. If I remember correctly doesn't EotW explicitly state that LTT killed anyone who had even a drop of his blood and was referred to as Kinslayer. I know that he was crazy and it was probably just his madness but this may foreshadow some importance of the actual blood of the dragon.

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I think LTT killed everyone who he was related to when he went crazy. I don't think it had to do with not wanting his genetics passed on. But, that's a good point. It could be his blood. I don't think it is though as there's been no mention of someone who is his descendant and we've reached the final book. My bets on either Rand or Galad's blood. I'm starting to think it might be Galad, too.

Yea I thought he did it while insane and I do remember that it said he wiped out his whole family I just meant to add my support to the idea that there may be something to Rand and Galad sharing blood being important.

Yea I thought he did it while insane and I do remember that it said he wiped out his whole family I just meant to add my support to the idea that there may be something to Rand and Galad sharing blood being important.

Yeah, I think the fact that he's Rand's half brother is not just some throw away piece of drama. His part in the story has been small. If RJ wanted to keep him as just a white cloak sideline, he didn't have to make them brothers. He also does everything he can, in his eyes, to do the "right" thing. I can see him sacrificing himself so Rand can beat Shaitan.

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I think LTT killed everyone who he was related to when he went crazy. I don't think it had to do with not wanting his genetics passed on. But, that's a good point. It could be his blood. I don't think it is though as there's been no mention of someone who is his descendant and we've reached the final book. My bets on either Rand or Galad's blood. I'm starting to think it might be Galad, too.

Actually he just killed his wife and kids (I don't mean to say just and sound insensitive, but it's true). Technically brothers/sisters/etc would still pass on his blood as they share it.

but did LTT have any brothers and sisters and if so, were they or any of descendants still alive during the War of Power or make it through the Breaking. LTT was 400 years old and the chance of siblings being able to channel is small, we know of Vandene and Adeleas, the rare case of Talene (Sea Folk apprentice) and her family, and various novices that were recruited by the rebel Aes Sedai. Also, because LTT was the leader of the Light during the War of Power, the Shadow's forces might have targeted any of his living family.

but did LTT have any brothers and sisters and if so, were they or any of descendants still alive during the War of Power or make it through the Breaking. LTT was 400 years old and the chance of siblings being able to channel is small, we know of Vandene and Adeleas, the rare case of Talene (Sea Folk apprentice) and her family, and various novices that were recruited by the rebel Aes Sedai. Also, because LTT was the leader of the Light during the War of Power, the Shadow's forces might have targeted any of his living family.

We'll never know, but the odds of his entire family linebeing wiped out? I mean that's pretty rare. Even if he was an only child, were both his parents only children?

Yes Youmancall is right, he did kill everyone in the house.

One more thought:

Then there's Egwene's dream in TSR11 of Galad ' wrapping himself in white as though putting on his own shroud'. Well, he has indeed cloaked himself in white..

Again I may be remembering incorrectly but I thought the wording was along the lines of "he killed every living person who carried any of his blood"

Here's the quote:

"I stood at LTT's shoulder when he did the deed that named him. It was I who told him to kill his wife, and his children, and all his blood, and every living person who loved him or who he loved.'

So provided Ba'alzamon is not lying, Rand is not a blood relative of LTT.. but we knew that. He's of the Royal Line of Andor - being Tigraine's son - and he's Aiel. LTT doesn't come into it.

(I have to wonder why, exactly, Ba'alzamon wanted to wipe out LTT's bloodline..)

Tarmon gaidon culminates in a massive battle between the forces of Light and Shadow, whilst the Dragon valiently goes to Shayol Ghul to kill the Dark One, but as he walks up, Fain stabs him in the back with the Shadar Logath dagger. As he lays dying, a voice says: "I win again, Lews Therin."

flicker

(I have to wonder why, exactly, Ba'alzamon wanted to wipe out LTT's bloodline..)

I should think that is fairly straightforward - he didn't just have him kill his bloodline, he had him kill "every living person who loved him or who he loved." Such a thing would (and did) do incalculable damage to Lews Therin's mind and soul. Ba'alzamon wanted to bring him pain, and cause him to despair, if possible. Of course, Lews Therin did despair, but "escaped" by killing himself when confronted with what he had done.

Archived