DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that doesn't make any sense. He had to have a specific suspicion of the High Lords being Darkfriends - and a reason to suspect Weiramon - but not only do we have no indication that he had any such suspicion before, Min felt his disappointment through the bond, as if he didn't want to believe it.

I don't understand why everyone is so set against Verin having mentioned this in her letter.

If you'll go back and look at who he keeps around him, ( especially the whole attack on the Seanchan escapade ) I think you'll see that, at least subconsciously, he does have suspicions. He only took those about whom he was most suspicious, those who are most likely to turn out to be Dark.

So far that tally is:

Weiramon;

Anaiyella;

Kisman;

Rochaid;

Dashiva;

Gedwyn;

Torval.

And maybe a couple of others I'm forgetting.

For me, the jury is still out on Bashere. His relief of Ituralde looks good, but Ituralde is one of those that Graendal has her hooks into, so a Darkside character acting to preserve him makes sense.

Unfortunately, this isn't a simple question -

We've seen Morgase have enough strength of character to get out from under Rahvin's rather heavy Compulsion. Will Rodel Ituralde have enough strength of character to break through whatever Graendal did to him?

I think all she did to him was tell him to follow the Kings orders completely and utterly. Rodel doesn't have the traits of heavy compulsion. In theory, unless his King is a darkfriend, it won't make a difference.

We've seen Morgase have enough strength of character to get out from under Rahvin's rather heavy Compulsion. Will Rodel Ituralde have enough strength of character to break through whatever Graendal did to him?

I think all she did to him was tell him to follow the Kings orders completely and utterly. Rodel doesn't have the traits of heavy compulsion. In theory, unless his King is a darkfriend, it won't make a difference.

If that is indeed what she did to him, then he's already broken free, because he stopped following "the king's orders" when he gathered up all the Domani forces and attacked the Seanchan.

Problem is, we don't know if that's all she did to him.

For me, the jury is still out on Bashere. His relief of Ituralde looks good, but Ituralde is one of those that Graendal has her hooks into, so a Darkside character acting to preserve him makes sense.

It's unlikely that Bashere is a Darkfriend. He was right there watching Rand nuke the trolloc army, and look what happened to Lord and Lady Torkumen.

-- dwn

It's unlikely that Bashere is a Darkfriend. He was right there watching Rand nuke the trolloc army, and look what happened to Lord and Lady Torkumen.

-- dwn

I agree. There is zero chance of Bashere being a darkfriend. I really dont know why people consider him all that suspicious. He has done nothing but help Rand, and all those weird things the Shadow finds out about like Mat being the Hornblower cant even be blamed on him. In essence, if he is a darkfriend he is basically the worst darkfriend ever. Even Weiramon was able to help out Rand while still doing as much damage as possible through his "stupidity."

What is the link between the Tower of Midnight (the place in Seanchan) and the Tower or Midnight state in the shadow Prophecies

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Why was the book called Towers of Midnight? (I know, because Brandon said so, but based on what?)

The glossary specifically says the Towers of Midnight are in Seanchan, but the only part of this book that had to do with Seanchan was the passing of the wind in the first chapter and the little short scene with Fortuona.

What is the link between the Tower of Midnight (the place in Seanchan) and the Tower or Midnight state in the shadow Prophecies

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Why was the book called Towers of Midnight? (I know, because Brandon said so, but based on what?)

The glossary specifically says the Towers of Midnight are in Seanchan, but the only part of this book that had to do with Seanchan was the beginning of the prologue and the little short scene with Fortuona.

It as to do with correcting what was wrong . But I wonder a lot about it.

Well midnight is the transition period from one day to the next. So looking at it, I see it as basically meaning the transition period between this age and the next is about to begin. Also Egwenes dream seemed to reference the Forsaken as black towers, which is another point to the title.

The glossary specifically says the Towers of Midnight are in Seanchan, but the only part of this book that had to do with Seanchan was the passing of the wind in the first chapter and the little short scene with Fortuona.

I think that the book's title was a symbolic name (even though it's a real place) to represent the darkness occurring in the several towers throughout the book - The White Tower (there's even a chapter called Darkness in the Tower), The Black Tower, and the Tower of Ghenjei. Although, I do still wonder about the prophecy at the end.

I think that the book's title was a symbolic name (even though it's a real place) to represent the darkness occurring in the several towers throughout the book - The White Tower (there's even a chapter called Darkness in the Tower), The Black Tower, and the Tower of Ghenjei. Although, I do still wonder about the prophecy at the end.

to much of a coincidence to me

All of them. Egwene saw them in her Dream, some die, and Moridin died but then was ressurrected to rule them all. And the Dark prophecy at the end of the book also referenced the Towers of Midnight in what seemed to be an analogy to the Forsaken.

Is this the correct place to ask what THE HELL the BUT was? I still have no idea. If it's something in chapter 24, just say so. The audiobook acts up a little bit.

Mat's Ashendarei. He asked for a way out of Finnland as a part of his wishes and asumed the fact that he got out answered that, never questioning the random spear they left him for no particular reason. Turns out it was a get out of jail free card.

I'm just now putting this together, but it seems that we now have decisive proof that the Seanchan version of the prophecy is the one that has been muddled beyond belief by Elan Morin. Not to say that the Randland prophecies werent,

Look at it this way, some may disagree, but I think it's an odd coincidence that the 13 Towers of Midnight in Seanchan are referenced so perfectly to the Dark Prophecy.

Was Rodel ever under compulsion? I was under the impression that Ituralde was simply acting on orders he got from the letter that he received from Graendal, thinking that the letter was from king Alasaslamalslalslamalalam (sp?). So no compulsion, just loyalty to his king.

On another note, i seem to remember talk of something from book 3 that would have an influence on things in this book. Was that thing Boundless/Noam?

Does The white aura around Rands mind indicate that he is now continuously connected to the One power?

I interpreted the white aura around Rands mind as being a blessing from the Creator when he accepted his position. Throughout the books, we have been told the Creator is a counterbalance to the Dark One. Thus, the blessing of the Creator balances and nullifies the taint of the Dark One. Therefore, Rands mind may be completely infested with the Taint, but the white light protects Rand's sanity.

Verin is likely the source of that letter, though why she chose Tiana, why Tiana agreed, or how Verin knew Tiana would be in a position to give it to Rand remains uncertain. We also do not know for sure what it contained, though Mattin and Alsalam seem very plausible. It's also suggested that it contained a warning about Weiramon and Annaiyella, and that this was how Rand knew to look for a dodgy reaction to his new found inner light. There could also be more we do not know.

I disagree about Weiramon and Annaiyella, after what happened to Bashere's cousin I think Rand actually can pick them out

I see it as akin to an exercism. Darkfriends are to Rand as demons are to Jesus. Now that Rand has accepted his destiny, he has become more selfaware. Thus the statement that he is no longer blind. Before, when Rand was "blind", Darkfriends could be close to him and not be noticed. Now that he can "see", Rand can recognize the mark of the Dark One on them. And, if you follow the above analogy, being in the presense of truth and goodness that is Rand, cannot be abided by Darkfriends. They now get very nervious or have a complete breakdown when confronted directly be him.

Archived