DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Typo/Errata Thread

Luckers

Here's a couple bits of TGS errata which I don't remember seeing brought up before.

During Mat's healing in TDR (Healing, p. 163), Egwene sees the fluted wand sa'angreal taken out of its case, a silk-lined wooden box. Yet in TGS, the wand is sitting loose on the top shelf of the angreal storeroom.

Also in TDR (Punishments, p. 126), Liandrin's group weren't able to break into the angreal storeroom, but did break into one where some of the small ter'angreal were kept. In TGS, all the angreal, sa'angreal and ter'angreal are apparently kept in one storeroom.

-- dwn

Elaida's housekeeping skills are far worse than Seuins(sp?), that plus Elaida give the reds a little more free reign on their use leading to an organizational nightmare :) Just an excuse for the mishap on the writing :D

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Susan McKenzie

Aside from Brandon Sanderson's far too liberal use of the word "noted" (may I suggest, observe, commented, etc), I do agree that there was a bit too much modern venacular slipping in there, very out of character for Robert Jordan. Do understand and sympathise with the need to rush the book to the printers, and aware that Sanderson is writing his own style, but indeed, need to keep with the layout Jordan had for each character.

Anyone else notice in TSR, when Egwene was in the waste, that Amys woke her and Egwene "noticed for the first time Nynaeve's blankets were empty"?

Should have been Moiraine. Nynaeve was en route to Tanchico.

Not an errata per se, but too many of the second line characters were missing. I can chalk up Logain to suspense - but where is Dobraine? Sorilea? The BA with Rand (Nelean? sounds right)? Talaan and Merilille (I think they've lost their way. Or they are both dead. Curious that the Windfinders didn't even ask about Talaan.)

And I'm still disgusted by Bain and Chiad touching weapons.

Maybe I should be glad that the book was actually published. Mr Sanderson better have some answers! :rolleyes:

One thing I'm noticing is a lot of "typos" being pointed out in dialogue. I think any "errors" in grammar that are found in dialogue are probably not actualy errors. In the real world, people don't usualy speak in perfectly correct language, and one thing I've always loved about WOT is how the dialogue reflects that grammatical incorrectness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not an errata per se, but too many of the second line characters were missing. I can chalk up Logain to suspense - but where is Dobraine? Sorilea? The BA with Rand (Nelean? sounds right)? Talaan and Merilille (I think they've lost their way. Or they are both dead. Curious that the Windfinders didn't even ask about Talaan.)

And I'm still disgusted by Bain and Chiad touching weapons.

Maybe I should be glad that the book was actually published. Mr Sanderson better have some answers! :rolleyes:

Dobraine's off with Logain somewhere possibly - Elayne remarked on how he was missing also (him being the most powerful noble in Cairhein/my favourite).

Dobraine's off with Logain somewhere possibly - Elayne remarked on how he was missing also (him being the most powerful noble in Cairhein/my favourite).
Rand sent Dobraine to pacify Arad Doman in KOD18. In TGS29, Rand evacuated Dobraine and his Cairhienin to Tear, where they greeted Rand when he absconded from Bandar Eban in TGS42.

• 2 months later...

First page of Chapter 55, Towers of Midnight (p. 805 hardback edition). First sentence of the fourth paragraph, "Heart pounding, Mat charged after Mat and Noal."

Mat surely didn't charge after Mat. :mat: I posted this to timewastersguide before seeing a post that WoT typos should go on Dragonmount and this is the best thread I've found for it.

This is arguably off-topic, but I seem to remember encountering somewhere in the middle of the series, maybe COS or POD, one time where a word actually goes diagonally upwards, quite literally. This would have been in the paperback editions published more recently, all listing titles of 11 WOT books on the back. That's all I remember, though.

Edited by IMeMin

Guest NoumanFarooqui

How does Perrin even know what a Weave is when he deflects the balefire attack in the Tower?

How would Berlain know how long its been since a Power forged weapon was made?

How does Perrin even know what a Weave is when he deflects the balefire attack in the Tower?

How would Berlain know how long its been since a Power forged weapon was made?

She's very learned, might just know when the Oaths were developed.

She may be stating a common belief -- power wrought weapons would be part of the lore of the Third Age, high-class swordsmiths/ weaponmakers would know about them and there are a lot of them around since they don't bust or degrade easily.

Seems I found one in tGH when Siuan first shows up and chats with Moiraine - she mentions that she's the fifth Amyrlin in a row raised from the Blue Ajah, and yet Sierin Vayu was raised from the Gray in New Spring, so only 4 of the last 5 (including Siuan) were from the Blue...

• 3 months later...

this thing was a comedy of errors. I don't believe I've ever seen the like. its as though only the first 100 pages were edited AT ALL. like someone said "that'll be enough to sneak it past the boss, the hell with the rest of the book!" I mean is this like a tradition with fantasy books? let the fans do the editing, AFTER its released? it'll make them feel special and besides, they'll work pro bono? saves us the money / time of paying the real editors / proofreaders to do it the right way and release it to fans error free? were these errors inserted intentionally as some kind of like...promotional fan club thing? whoever finds the most errors wins an autographed poster, we put in 100, ready go! its some kind of game to them? seems to me like someone at corporate is thinking a little too hard with their calculator and not enough with their greater brain, scheming up ways to further cut costs by taking it directly out of the quality of the product itself. either that or they just don't give two ^%#&* about WoT. I mean is it REALLY that costly for a multi-million dollar company to edit its book before release? (I acknowledge I don't really know how the process works, that's why I'm asking.) maybe I'm being too melodramatic or something but.....I don't like this. in addition to the great many listed in this 12-page long thread...I have an additional THIRTY. here are half of them

definitely typos

p. 107 Light! Gawyn thought as Chubain shot him a hostile GLACE.

p. 284 Was Elayne afraid of him, or WAS SHE WAS honoring him?

p. 344 Bloody stories. They were SUPPOSED LEAVE Mat alone.

p. 364 She'd wait for Elayne to walk over and sit IN ONE THE SEATS near her, or perhaps send a servant with an offer.

p. 404 "Burn him. He left us. I-" He cut off AS SAW RAND.

p. 409 "Not ridiculous," Rand said, LAYING HIS HAND IRALIN'S shoulder.

p. 439 A HUNDRED OF PACES away, he looked back and confirmed his suspicions.

p. 461 "The channelers say they are working as hard as they can," Gaul explained, walking beside Perrin THOUGH CAMP as they checked the various sections.

p. 529 Sure enough, it turned out they did, THOUGH ONE HAD GO FOR hours to escape the effect.

p. 626 Well, there was A GRAIN A TRUTH in that, Galad had to admit.

p. 789 "The Aelfinn and the Eelfinn get around in here somehow," HIS WHISPERED.

p. 823 Light, had Moiraine grimaced before? SHE BEEN TOO high-and-mighty for that, had she not?

arguably typos (as in MAYBE the author intended for the character to misspeak...but doubtful)

p. 104 A bronze stand-lamp burned in the corner, and a circular rug NEARLY FILLED NEARLY the entire floor.

p. 124 [this was probably intentional but I think its awkward when Alliandre asks] "Is it true that you're planning on sending my people back to Jehannah after you find Gill and his group?" [and a few lines later Perrin replies] "I do," [rather than "I AM" or "it IS"]

p. 257 "And you would accept the AYMRLIN'S authority."

sad performance

is some of them deliberate or was the Editor on her holiday when the draft was aproved for print?
Who in the light edited this book.
How has nobody noticed this prior to the book's release?
Shouldn't the editing process for such a great series catch most of these?

Seems I found one in tGH when Siuan first shows up and chats with Moiraine - she mentions that she's the fifth Amyrlin in a row raised from the Blue Ajah, and yet Sierin Vayu was raised from the Gray in New Spring, so only 4 of the last 5 (including Siuan) were from the Blue...

That's since been corrected in later printings.