DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Typo/Errata Thread

Luckers

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Reading contently, when I found the only mistake I've ever found in a book. (Im on page 200 by the way)

It's not just a small mistake it's pretty big! And within twenty pages :(

so far that I have read, Tam Al'Thor has been with Perrin. And on page 175 (Uk version) is the last time I saw him was with Perrin meeting with Galad and the whitecloaks for the first time.

Then on page 199, in the scene where Rand cones back to Tear and has been gone for three days, Tam comes out of the stone of tear, and Rand cries into him that he isi sorry etc. it is somehow plausible he got there by gateway until he says "it's been three days, Rand. I've already met her".

But Tam has been with Perrin the whole time? And been mentioned by name about a dozen times by Perrin?

Another mistake regarding Perrin and Rand, is in his conversation on Page 172 (Uk) with Grady about the taint when this occurs "that's how Rand feels, Perrin thought, watching the colours swirl again and his friend appear. He was riding his large black horse through a city with muddy streets, speaking with Nynaeve, who rode beside him". For one Rand as far as we know is wondering around Dragonmount and here there and everywhere. And then we find out Nynaeve has been waiting for Rand for three days in Tear?!

Can anyone back me up on this please? I don't usually care about spelling etc but I actually had to stop because I got confused :(

this is not a mistake, perrin's time line and rand's are different. at the end of tGS tam needed to be with rand, but they couldn't fit perrins plot line into tGS. so its broken up, a little messy but it makes sense.

Edited by aaron

End of Page 552-553

"Perrin hit first, swinging his hammer with a roar. Slayer actually sank into the ground, as if it were liquid, dropping beneath the AXE blow"

Notice the axe part. I don't know how that made it past but it did. He swung a hammer but Slayer dropped below a axe blow.

Not to mention that apparently Perrin didn't "hit"

i read the "axe blow" as being the type of swing the hammer had made

End of Page 552-553

"Perrin hit first, swinging his hammer with a roar. Slayer actually sank into the ground, as if it were liquid, dropping beneath the AXE blow"

Notice the axe part. I don't know how that made it past but it did. He swung a hammer but Slayer dropped below a axe blow.

Not to mention that apparently Perrin didn't "hit"

i read the "axe blow" as being the type of swing the hammer had made

Er, no. That's nonsensical. It's not like axe swings are so unique that they set the standard for all other weapons that are handled similarly, and thus all such swings are metaphorically those of an axe. An axe blow is what you get when you swing an axe at something. Swing a hammer, and it's a hammer blow. There's no need to explain it away because it didn't connect. "Ducking a blow" is a standard, idiomatic way to describe when avoiding an attack.

Edited by didymos

Peter is having login issues, and wanted someone to post this here:

Rifle and riffle are two different verbs. Rifle means to search thoroughly, ransack. Riffle means to leaf through hastily or cursorily. I do believe riffle is onomatopoeia. It dates from 1754. Rifle's ransack definition is its oldest, from the 14th century. Oxford Online more or less gives rifle as one definition of riffle, which annoys me. Merriam-Webster keeps them separate.

Riffle is a rather calm and orderly activity. Something idly engaged in. To riffle through the pages of a book.

Rifle used as something other than a firearm is a more frantic and much more disorderly activity. To rifle a safe ( dig through and possibly scatter the contents of ). If one rifled a book, it would likely indicate that pages were torn free of the binding and scattered.

Riffle is idle, rifle is energetic, maybe even frantic.

Hi Everybody. I've been a fan of The Wheel of Time since it started...and I've lurked at Dragonmount off and on over the years. Other than in the 4th Age threads...this is my first post here in these forums.

I've been listening to Towers of Midnight on Audible.com and this has been bugging me since I heard it.

When Perrin is at his trial...he reveals that not only has the Horn Of Valere been found, but it has been sounded. No one reacts to this...not even a gasp from the on-lookers.

When did it become common knowledge about the HoV? Shouldn't someone have reacted? An eyebrow raised? A start from his chair? A gasp from the crowd?

Did I miss something here?

Edited by BloodyAshes

Hi Everybody. I've been a fan of The Wheel of Time since it started...and I've lurked at Dragonmount off and on over the years. Other than in the 4th Age threads...this is my first post here in these forums.

I've been listening to Towers of Midnight on Audible.com and this has been bugging me since I heard it.

When Perrin is at his trial...he reveals that not only has the Horn Of Valere been found, but it has been sounded. No one reacts to this...not even a gasp from the on-lookers.

When did it become common knowledge about the HoV? Shouldn't someone have reacted? An eyebrow raised? A start from his chair? A gasp from the crowd?

As I recall, the news that the HoV had been sounded and the Heroes had fought at Falme became common knowledge through the standard rumor mill. Our heroes often avoided discussing it to avoid suspicion that they were involved. But people have been spreading that news for almost 2 years.

Yeah I thought about that..about the rumors...Its prolly just me...It's not a major flub, but I thought there would be somebody shocked by this news...As a statement of fact and not rumor from someone trusted. Kinda like Faile was in TDR when Perrin says "Why me? Mat's the one that blew the bloody Horn of Valere" not a direct quote...but you get the gist.

I suppose that's also why no POV's note any Hunters of the Horn anywhere, anymore. Like in TGH...I thought the HoV reveal at TG would have a little more fanfare than just "Oh...there it is. No biggy...no worries."

C'mon...a blink...couldn't someone, at the very least, blinked?

just found it an odd thing...might not even have been the right thread for this, but thanks. much obliged.

I hadn't even considered that. It may be one of those things that we readers ( and Sanderson was a reader before he became the author ) have known about for so long that it seemed natural that all the characters know it, too, even though they shouldn't.

However, a lot of amazing things got said at that trial. Perrin had already admitted that he can talk to wolves. On the Whitecloak side, that just gave confirmation of his Darkfriend/Shadowspawn status. Byar was the only one who saw any of the Falme battle, and, to him, they weren't The Heroes of the Horn, but "ghostly apparitions." Rather than fighting alongside Bornhald's Whitecloaks they were supposedly fighting against them. So, on that side of the pavilion, they believed Perrin was lying about it all. They simply discounted the Horn really having been blown.

I'm not sure why there wasn't a reaction from Perrin's side. But there certainly wasn't.

I hadn't even considered that. It may be one of those things that we readers ( and Sanderson was a reader before he became the author ) have known about for so long that it seemed natural that all the characters know it, too, even though they shouldn't.

However, a lot of amazing things got said at that trial. Perrin had already admitted that he can talk to wolves. On the Whitecloak side, that just gave confirmation of his Darkfriend/Shadowspawn status. Byar was the only one who saw any of the Falme battle, and, to him, they weren't The Heroes of the Horn, but "ghostly apparitions." Rather than fighting alongside Bornhald's Whitecloaks they were supposedly fighting against them. So, on that side of the pavilion, they believed Perrin was lying about it all. They simply discounted the Horn really having been blown.

I'm not sure why there wasn't a reaction from Perrin's side. But there certainly wasn't.

Simpler answers

1.) So much other weird stuff has been going on that the finding of the Horn won't even raise a blip on the raider.

2.) Perrin's so focused on his defense that he doesn't register anything else going on.

Peter is having login issues, and wanted someone to post this here:

Rifle and riffle are two different verbs. Rifle means to search thoroughly, ransack. Riffle means to leaf through hastily or cursorily. I do believe riffle is onomatopoeia. It dates from 1754. Rifle's ransack definition is its oldest, from the 14th century. Oxford Online more or less gives rifle as one definition of riffle, which annoys me. Merriam-Webster keeps them separate.

Riffle is a rather calm and orderly activity. Something idly engaged in. To riffle through the pages of a book.

Rifle used as something other than a firearm is a more frantic and much more disorderly activity. To rifle a safe ( dig through and possibly scatter the contents of ). If one rifled a book, it would likely indicate that pages were torn free of the binding and scattered.

Riffle is idle, rifle is energetic, maybe even frantic.

Teaches me to get the big dictionary down and not rely on whatever is in my Mac. Rifle is very serious violent riffling, then? Cool. I stand corrected.

Oh, and the time line issues did not bother me. I got it. Maybe because I refused to be bothered by it, but it flowed nicely for me despite a tiny bit of clumsiness with Tam seeming to be in two places at once.

It didn't bother me either because RJ's been doing this for awhile.

I didn't notice the typos either the first time around, but that's mostly because I was completely engrossed in the story.

Oh, and the time line issues did not bother me. I got it. Maybe because I refused to be bothered by it, but it flowed nicely for me despite a tiny bit of clumsiness with Tam seeming to be in two places at once.

which is not even a problem (and was to be expected after the last book) while there seem to be huge timeline problems everywhere :)

Here's a couple bits of TGS errata which I don't remember seeing brought up before.

During Mat's healing in TDR (Healing, p. 163), Egwene sees the fluted wand sa'angreal taken out of its case, a silk-lined wooden box. Yet in TGS, the wand is sitting loose on the top shelf of the angreal storeroom.

Also in TDR (Punishments, p. 126), Liandrin's group weren't able to break into the angreal storeroom, but did break into one where some of the small ter'angreal were kept. In TGS, all the angreal, sa'angreal and ter'angreal are apparently kept in one storeroom.

-- dwn

Not posted on these forums for ages.

I haven't read ToM yet either (I have ordered it, but not received it), but being called a grammar nazi on a regular basis, I couldn't let this slide. ;)

• [*]Pg 247 - "...rougher than the ones which have buffeted me..." - 'which' should be changed to 'than'

[*]Pg 609 - "How many was the Shadow going to take from him..." - should be 'were'

"...rougher than the ones which have buffeted me..." - 'which' should be changed to 'than' ? Hope you meant 'that', because '...rougher than the ones than have buffeted me...' doesn't sound right, does it? ;)

"How many was the Shadow going to take from him..." - should be 'were' Actually, no. Who/what performs the action in this sentence? The Shadow, not 'how many'. If the sentence had been for instance "How many were going to be taken from him...", I'd agree with you.

Edited by Aremeriel

I haven't read ToM yet either (I have ordered it, but not received it), but being called a grammar nazi on a regular basis, I couldn't let this slide. ;)

• [*]Pg 247 - "...rougher than the ones which have buffeted me..." - 'which' should be changed to 'than'

[*]Pg 609 - "How many was the Shadow going to take from him..." - should be 'were'

"...rougher than the ones which have buffeted me..." - 'which' should be changed to 'than' ? Hope you meant 'that', because '...rougher than the ones than have buffeted me...' doesn't sound right, does it? ;)

"How many was the Shadow going to take from him..." - should be 'were' Actually, no. Who/what performs the action in this sentence? The Shadow, not 'how many'. If the sentence had been for instance "How many were going to be taken from him...", I'd agree with you.

Usage of that/which is open to some debate; the original wording isn't necessarily wrong.

-- dwn

It didn't bother me either because RJ's been doing this for awhile.

I didn't notice the typos either the first time around, but that's mostly because I was completely engrossed in the story.

Isn't it amazing how our brains usually correct as we read, especially if it's enjoyable? I just have one of those brains that doesn't do that quite as easily, so I wrote down what bugged me. Then I went back and eliminated the things that didn't bug me as much the second time through. Or the list would have been a bit longer. I somehow found the patience to read ToM really slowly in order to savor it.

I'm impressed by all who notice errata and story inconsistencies. Enjoy those whip-smart memories while you have them!

Usage of that/which is open to some debate; the original wording isn't necessarily wrong.

-- dwn

Also true. ;) 'than' would be very wrong though. ;) And since Angelfan wrote 'than' I took it as a typo of 'that'. ;)

The part where Gawyn is talking to Egwene after saving her life from the bloodknives. After he says some dialogue, it reads "said Galad" which totally made me stop reading for a minute in annoyance...

The other typo's I read over, but completely changing the name of someone in dialogue just urked me...

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if someone caught this already. I've read through the posts and didn't see it if so.

In the Tower of Ghenjei scenes there are several issues.

On page 781-784 Thom uses the bronze knife to open a portal into the Tower (and must redraw it when it is too small - funny!)

Here is one of the spots where the modern language drives me insane. Thom is very well-spoken and rarely uses colloquial speech. Mat might, but I CANNOT see even him saying "Guess so." This sort of deviation from the style Robert Jordan used throws the character voices off so far it jolts me right out of the mood of the scene.

I adore Brandon both as a writer and a great guy, and I am loathe to criticize His Awesomeness, as he has done an absolutely amazing job with these books so far. I know Brandon does not want to merely imitate RJ's style, and I'm fine with that, but nevertheless, the characters have always spoken in a certain way through however many books they appear in, and that should be maintained as much as possible. There are MANY places where characters, Thom, the Aes Sedai and the Wise Ones in particular, speak entirely too informally. They just wouldn't say things like "Don't know", using incomplete sentences and too many contractions. Ah, but I digress...

Returning to the main issue here, we then specifically see that Thom re-sheathes the bronze knife, and they enter the Tower. They decide to see if the still-open portal works both ways, and Noal goes back out through it as a test. He comes back through after a noticeable delay, and explains that "it sealed me out. I had to draw another triangle to get back in." Nowhere in the book have I found any mention of them each having a bronze knife. So what did he use to draw the triangle? Birgitte told Olver that it must be a bronze knife used to make the sign of the triangle and wavy line, anywhere on the side of the Tower.

They packed along a veritable laundry list of items, including fireworks, torches, musical instruments, and iron implements of various kinds, but so far as I can tell, only one bronze knife, and Thom did not hand it to Noal before he went back out. Oops?

Page 783 par 6: a typo I am sure has been mentioned previously "This place doesn't makes sense."

Edited by Tialin

I'm with you, Tialin. Brandon used to reference modern psychology often in his early books, which irked me to no end, but either I'm getting used to it or he has scaled back a bit. Phrases like "deal with. . ." and referring to love affairs as "relationships" are two examples, plus some Psych 101 soul-searching from time to time. I made a note about Rand turning into Alan Alda much too suddenly for my taste on p. 199 of Towers. Ew.

The knife issue didn't bother me. Too much precision in describing details can get tedious, even though this may be a valid omission. Let's just assume that there were multiple bronze knives, at least two.

I think this typo (p. 783) is a new one! I don't have it on my list, anyway.

I'm with you, Tialin. Brandon used to reference modern psychology often in his early books, which irked me to no end, but either I'm getting used to it or he has scaled back a bit. Phrases like "deal with. . ." and referring to love affairs as "relationships" are two examples, plus some Psych 101 soul-searching from time to time. I made a note about Rand turning into Alan Alda much too suddenly for my taste on p. 199 of Towers. Ew.

The knife issue didn't bother me. Too much precision in describing details can get tedious, even though this may be a valid omission. Let's just assume that there were multiple bronze knives, at least two.

I think this typo (p. 783) is a new one! I don't have it on my list, anyway.

Agree! Pop Psych 101 gets old EXTREMELY rapidly in a character.

Rand went from The Shining through Alan Alda into Christ entirely too quickly for me! But then, we need to wrap up this book soon, unless we all plan to live as long as the Kin. It is nice to have someone a little closer to the original nice guy Rand back again. He was getting much, much too scary and even worse, just plain rude to obnoxious in tGS. (A little Cadsuane part of me coming through!) I was amazed that Bael and Rhuarc didn't turn against him after some of his obnoxious behavior towards them. He almost didn't deserve the level of loyalty he had from the Aiel.

Edited by Tialin

Rhuarc refers to the Three Fold land as the Waste. Cringe.

Bain and Chiad touching weapons - Double cringe.

Black Ajah attack in TAR - Eyes fall out.

Though the last maybe from Corianin's stash that the wonder-girls never got hold of. Nynaeve and Siuan are using new sleep-weavers that Elayne made, which maybe upto the full potential - the one she's using doesn't make her transparent since WH.

Thom becomes Tom - FAIL.