Mat's Arc

Luckers

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have asked 'when mat and co come save me, only take out his eye'

but then again,

'when mat and co come save me, let them'

followed by 'lets make sure he realizes his sweet sword staff is incredibly important and allows us to escape in the nick-o-time, because, you know, he's a woolhead and will leave the aelfin out of his bargain.'

followed by 'oh and that bracelet, it'd look hawt on my naked body.'

I'll make a Moiraine thread in a few days.

Largely I thought Mat was much better written. That letter to Elayne irritated me though. If it had been posted on the board as a joke I'd have laughed, but in the book it seemed a cheap gimmick. A parody of what Mat would actually have said. Authors can play with words, but then need to be cautious--Mat is not an author. That sort of word play is not in him. 'To Her Royal Majesty, Stop Being A Royal Pain In My Backside And Agree To A Meeting.' Yes. Very Mat. The overwrought clever crossback? Not a chance.

Largely I thought Mat was much better written. That letter to Elayne irritated me though. If it had been posted on the board as a joke I'd have laughed, but in the book it seemed a cheap gimmick. A parody of what Mat would actually have said. Authors can play with words, but then need to be cautious--Mat is not an author. That sort of word play is not in him. 'To Her Royal Majesty, Stop Being A Royal Pain In My Backside And Agree To A Meeting.' Yes. Very Mat. The overwrought clever crossback? Not a chance.

there were a couple moments in the book where I felt that way luckers, example being the Thom/Moiraine scene. And the Bela scene that was in the deleted scenes.

but It just occasionally felt like there were a couple moments where Brandon went AFK and like....I took over writing for a moment.

The letter is absurd because we've seen Mat writing before and he's no longer a semi-literate lout. Crude yes, but not illiterate.

Guest Jack O' The Wisps

I thought Mat's storyline was great. It felt like the Gathering Storm was them on the brink the entire time, putting it off. I felt like Mat's arc (and Perrin's, for that matter) were both much more exciting than many of the more recent books. Stuff is really going to he11 in a handbasket soon, and you really got that feeling of impending doom from the way that these storylines picked up in pace.

How he escaped was masterful. I have not seen that theory on any board, ever.

Overall, before the ToG I give the Mat writing in ToM a solid B+. ToG Mat was an A. TGS Mat got a C-.

The letter he wrote to Elayne, while funny, was rather jarring. His other letter that he wrote in Tylin's apartments seemed a little more in line with his intelligence level and overall character. He's not an idiot, he just doesn't write very often and his penmanship is poor.

So, mat gave up half the light of the world to save it. He gave up half the light of the world to save Moraine. Looking forward to the Moraine theories!

She must have the answers we all want to know.

Mat Rules.

I am a bit sad he lost his eye. Makes him seem weaker. Even though blind luck, etc.. works for him.

Looking forward to Mat/Tuon encounter coming up next book. Only a year and 3 months!!!! =)

*edit* So, what do we know of son of battles? I don't believe we've heard it before. I wonder who he is. It seems so odd that he wouldn't be a part of the horn heroes if hes being spun out, etc and such an epic general... THE general really.. by the son of battles claim. He's so awesome, lol.

*edit again* haha well not necessarily the general, but obviously the greatest fighter to exist, ever. I'm pretty sure that's a safe bet.

Well, I think we got a huge hint about Tuon eventually deciding to learn to channel in the last chapter, with Mats fierce insistance that he under no circumstances would be bonded to anyone. After all, we know what happens when Mat tries to refuse somethingbiggrin.gif

I actually enjoyed the letter. Mat had me laughing out loud at almost everyone one of his scenes. I don't think the letter made him look stupid, just that he can't spell.

Umm - we've seen Mat writing letters before when he spelled perfectly well despite being distracted by cleavage.

He also speaks and reads the OT perfectly and is effectively a vat-grown instant scholar.

It's just not consistent.

The Finns referred to him as "Son of Battles" when he went through the Door in Tear (TSR).

It's what they call him, along with "gambler" and "trickster".

i think mat's letter was awesome

i'm sure his first however many letters he sent were proper

it certainly conveys how he would talk to elayne face to face in the past and it is sure to get her attention

which was the whole point right? since he needed to see her soon-ish

I agree about the letter. It made me laugh out loud, but Mat's never had trouble with grammar/spelling before.

um, i think the point was for the letter to prove who he was (in an exaggerated way)

shock and awe

to speak to her like only he would

to spell as she thinks he would

I agree about the letter. It made me laugh out loud, but Mat's never had trouble with grammar/spelling before.

um, i think the point was for the letter to prove who he was (in an exaggerated way)

shock and awe

His earlier letter was also addressed to her & Nyn. So she knows he can spell.

Mat was pretty awesome. Specially his "removal" of the gholam. That was badass.

Anyone notice the interesting thing Moiraine brought up? A man came, but said she wasnt the one he wanted??

Im thinking Luc/Isam. I didnt think he went into the ToG in tSR, but it seems likely.

Mat was pretty awesome. Specially his "removal" of the gholam. That was badass.

Anyone notice the interesting thing Moiraine brought up? A man came, but said she wasnt the one he wanted??

Im thinking Luc/Isam. I didnt think he went into the ToG in tSR, but it seems likely.

I would rather say Moridin.

If it was Moridin, I think he would have tried to get rid of Moraine. He is smart enough to know that she is a valuable asset. Slayer would not want her because he does not have orders.

Moridin probably figured Moiraine was unlikely to ever escape the 'Finns, so she was as good as dead anyway.

Also if someone rescued her how did she die unless she died in the rescue. Also what happened to exit to tear? Someone obviously destroyed it meaning they likely entered that way as well.

I'm guessing the man (Moridin?) who came to fetch Lanfear destroyed the Tear gateway upon exit to ensure nobody in the Light would ask questions.

shock and awe

Mat is neither stupid, illiterate or rude on purpose. Elayne would know this upon receiving the letter. So maybe there is a hidden message in there somewhere? Cryptography anyone?

Archived