DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss The Full Book

Luckers

Ah now Perrin was just in a loop for the last while becuse he wasn't doing what the pattern wanted from him and now it resolved. Perrin arc in the book was top notch and it was really sad to see Hopper's demise but the whole thing with Noam was touching.

Maybe the Tower of Genji was a tad bit disappointing but only because it has been so built up over the years. I don't think this will happen with the last battle as we still really aren't sure what can go down. On the Black Tower front, I wanted more.

By the way hopper mattered to me and overall it was a great installment.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished my first go-through on the audio book. I am very, very disturbed by both the direction the story is taking with the whole 'messiah' crap as well as the feeling I get from a looming doom even if the Light side wins.

My instincts are telling me that no matter how this story ends, the end result will be proof to humanity's enate idiocy, selfishness and destructive, powerlusting nature. Very realistic, of course, but not what I expect to find in a 'fantasy' series. That's why I read fantasy, to get away from that particular realism.

I'm quite thoroughly worried...

Rand teaches the Aiel "the song" giving them a new purpose for after the last battle (he should know it)

I asked Brandon at a signing if Lews Therin knew The Song. I got a RAFO without a second's hesitation, so I think that's still in Brandon's mind. I take that as a good sign your prediction here is correct.

I also agree about Lanfear, seems an obvious trap to me too.

Just finished my first go-through on the audio book. I am very, very disturbed by both the direction the story is taking with the whole 'messiah' crap as well as the feeling I get from a looming doom even if the Light side wins.

My instincts are telling me that no matter how this story ends, the end result will be proof to humanity's enate idiocy, selfishness and destructive, powerlusting nature. Very realistic, of course, but not what I expect to find in a 'fantasy' series. That's why I read fantasy, to get away from that particular realism.

I think you are supposed to be worried about those things. It wouldn't be interesting if nothing is in issue for the last book and they just needed to walk up to the dark one and hit him and win the game. The whole dire future warning is just there to show it isn't just important that Rand wins no matter the cost but how he wins that's important.

Elan cmon man. You complain so much about that Perrin should've been done ages ago, so what, that fact doesn't make the book bad, i definately thought that part was long long overdue but that doesn't mean I didn't love reading it. And with the set up from KoD of course we have to see how Nynaeve might have been able to "save" Lan. Rand and Egwene were set up from TGS, the rest needs to catch up, the watches have not yet been synchronised.

I agree the dark side quite often seems extremely weak, but if you compare to e.g. white tower under Elaida or any other ruler in randland without the few main characters to push/pull them they would easily win.

The Black Tower Smackdown is also long overdue but man, whats going on in there is one of the things that scares me for the coming book. Along with Moridin and Demandred. The rest of the darkfriends/forsaken have been important obstacles to overcome but not really scary. These guys are imo, and the red veiled aiel.

there's no need to worry. the shadow is a laughing stock. After 13 books, the closest the shadow has come to killing a major light character was when rahvin blasted mat and aviendha and lo and behold they were brought back.

At this rate Tarmon gaidon will end up with a whimper.

I was very disappointed with this book, HUGE step down from The Gathering Storm.. only plot advancement was Moraines rescue. With the book being called "The Towers of Midnight" you think the book would be about... the Towers of Midnight.. but no, the rescue took less then twenty pages, but we got to watch all the boring crap. (Too much to mention)

This is the worst book in the series for me. I guess Brandon did his best.. he is only doing what Robert Jordan left in his notes.

Still a hard pill to swallow.

This book gets a 5.5/10 for me.

Hey, I have two questions, one about the thread, one about the book. Sorry if they've been answered before, but I haven't read the whole thread.

1) I came on the spoiler thread because I've finished ToM and want to discuss what happened in the book. Is the spoiler thread the right place for me to be?

2) Who the deuce are the guys with red veils, dark eyes, and chiseled sharp teeth? I think they've been mentioned before, but can't put my foot on it. Are they Sharans, or perhaps people from a remote section of Seanchan, or maybe Tarkatans? (shout out to my buddies Baraka and Mileena)

For me, over all, it was a great book and worth the wait...although I could punch a kitten over the way the epilogue trailed off. So many "OMG WTF" things happened there that I about connipted.

The pace of the book was good, and I was glad to see that Brandon kept the rambling down to a minimum in this one the same as in the last book.

Minimum braid-tugging and sniffing is always good.

Anyone who thinks the Perrin plotline was poorly done--seriously, are you even a fan of this series?

I thought Brandon made a much better go of pegging Mat's character, as well. The letter to Elayne was frigging awesome.

It was also refreshing to see Elayne acting a bit more like an adult...she didn't treat Mat badly at all, which might be a series' first.

On another note, and I'm sorry if this was covered somewhere in the 42 pages before this, did I miss a definitive answer on who killed Asmodean, or are we to imply it from the Forsaken-body-count that gets attributed to Graendal?

I was also glad to see a final nail driven into the coffin of the "Lanfear is not Cyndane" theory. Rest In Peace, naysayers.

....so now, like everyone else, I'm left exactly where I was 2 weeks ago...biting my nails, waiting for the next book.

:angry:

Thanks again, Brandon, for a great installment.

there's no need to worry. the shadow is a laughing stock. After 13 books, the closest the shadow has come to killing a major light character was when rahvin blasted mat and aviendha and lo and behold they were brought back.

Problem is not too weak shadow. Mesaana for example threw down the old amyrlin, made a puppet of the new one, split the tower, had every single AS worried about the other Ahjas instead of the last battle etc. The problem is the "light" characters sometimes are too good. Which is fine imo since it's fantasy fiction. Plus the ideas you seem have about the ending now could be deduced from reading one tenth of TEotW.

On another note, and I'm sorry if this was covered somewhere in the 42 pages before this, did I miss a definitive answer on who killed Asmodean, or are we to imply it from the Forsaken-body-count that gets attributed to Graendal?

Graendal - Moridin interaction in chapter 5 gives it away. (otherwise read the glossary :P).

I think Broken Wolf = Rodel Ituralde.

CoT Prologue, PoV Ituralde: "They would gather their armies and ride when orders came from the Wolf [...] They knew the Wolf won battles."

I had that thought as well, since I vaguely remembered him being called wolf, and the great generals surely fit the criterion. But he has known death? Guess that's not too literal, unless that has something to do with Graendal. Either that or it's because he's a soldier, which seems a bit simplistic.

Either way, couldn't find the reference, even using Ideal Seek, because Ituralde and Wolf don't end up in the same sentence. Doh. Nice one.

(should have put it in my post anyway so I could look smart. oh well :P )

Problem is not too weak shadow. Mesaana for example threw down the old amyrlin, made a puppet of the new one, split the tower, had every single AS worried about the other Ahjas instead of the last battle etc. The problem is the "light" characters sometimes are too good. Which is fine imo since it's fantasy fiction. Plus the ideas you seem have about the ending now could be deduced from reading one tenth of TEotW.

I don't think it's even about the characters being too good. I think it's more about the Shadow not working together. Only Moridin is truly inline with the Dark One's plans. The other Forsaken are each squabbling over who's to be the best among them, so they can't marshall their forces effectively in a grand scheme. Had they acted in concert early on Rand would have easily been destroyed, but their in-fighting allowed him to live and learn and grow and now it's an even fight.

I don't think it's even about the characters being too good. I think it's more about the Shadow not working together. Only Moridin is truly inline with the Dark One's plans. The other Forsaken are each squabbling over who's to be the best among them, so they can't marshall their forces effectively in a grand scheme. Had they acted in concert early on Rand would have easily been destroyed, but their in-fighting allowed him to live and learn and grow and now it's an even fight.

Maybe not "too good" but the fact that the Light just keeps getting stronger and stronger has bothered me for books now. Mostly I mean the fact that damn near every character has some Talent. Oh, sure, it can be explained away by the Pattern (which is lame, but that's another topic), but I mean, it's at the point where I'm almost rooting for the Shadow because the odds are stacked so heavily against them.

And they are, in my view. Their Chosen suck. They've done nothing. I mean, it's a fantasy book so I don't expect realism, but if someone could go into T'A'R and come out wherever he wanted, and you wanted Perrin dead, how about he just steps out of T'A'R into Perrin's tent and kills him?

I mean, come on now. How is that harder than the whole Dreamspike sequence?

Every bad guy in the book is just plain dumb, and the good guys are starting to look like superheroes. (Oh, don't mind me, I'll just take down 3 bloodknives at once, while Egwene breaks the mind of one of the Forsaken with barely a struggle. Doot da doo.)

The Seanchan have felt like a far bigger threat than the Shadow throughout the series. Somehow I feel like it shouldn't be that way.

I'd like your opinions about Olver's POV. I've read most of this thread and seen some references to Olver -- winning the game at last, taking up the sword to fight in Caemlyn. But what has really bothered me was his tone of voice in his thoughts. I understand that he wants to avenge his father's death, and that he wants (and thinks he deserves) Mat's help in doing so. Here's what I mean about his tone:

"But next time, Olver would do the choosing. And then Mat had better be nice, or he would be left behind."

"[Talmanes] was an all-right fellow, though a little stiff. Olver would not choose to have a man like him on a good night of drinking and hunting serving girls. As soon as Olver was old enough to go drinking and hunting serving girls. He figured he would be ready in another year or so."

I can't decide if this is supposed to be how boys his age think, or a sign that he's not a very nice person. I'm a 56-year-old woman, so maybe I'm just out of touch. But he sounds mean to me. I've always thought of him kindly, and as possibly Gaidal (and therefor heroic). I don't think he sounds like a DF, but he just seems mean. Maybe that's how a kid would sound if he witnessed the brutality Olver has witnessed, and then hero-worshipped Mat but didn't get much attention from him. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

He sounds like someone who wants to be like Mat, and might become something similar, but he lacks that certain something. Common sense? Morals? I don´t quite know what to call it, or what it is, but it is missing.

And the phrase "hunt serving girls" disturbed me too. "Chase after women" is the term Mat usually uses (as far as i have noticed) and that sounds like fun for everyone. But hunt? That sounds... wrong.

Just finished the book and I'm just in awe right now. Everything was looking so good, and BAM

Holy crap.

And just whoever still thinks Taim is not Demandred, I'm sorry, you're wrong. It's him.

RJ said that Taim is not Demandred, but he never said Demandred isn't posing as Taim. Or just as easily controlling him.

This whole time he's been collecting Asha'man who seek power and has been turning them to the Dark One in his private lessons using the myddraal.

Then he wants to keep everyone there, any male channelers who are good are stuck there and they know something is wrong.

Lanfear also said Rand wouldn't like it once she actually got in his dreams, I believe she knows how, and that's why Rand felt the life sucked out of him or w/e

But damn, this book was friggin awesome. So much to think about, so much to worry about. I wonder if Rand knew to pull all the monarchs together to save them all.

askdghkw';egjkrhs;kdnmaw;oeithweo=i want memories of light now!!!! i want to see what Moraine has to tell Rand!

Also, we think the light has been getting strong, but really think about it. Perrin has been lost and confused for so long, the white tower has been divided, split, and at war. Rand has been a complete tyrant. Like, how strong has the light really been? The shadow isn't the kind of thing that just jumps out and stabs people and is like "haha i stabbed you" it's more, like "let me get your best friend to stab you while you've really been slowly poisoned from the food you've been eating, cooked by your mother"

in my opinion, the light hasns't been winning. yes forsaken has died, but the shadow never cared deeply about that. they could have been set up so rand conquers them and just confuses the people even further, doubting them into sorrow.

also Aviendha's experience could have just been a possibility of the future, and now her actions doom the world instead of just the Aiel, she shouldn't have gone back in the columns....

I kept thinking to myself how horrible Boundless's human existence must have been for him to turn completely to the wolf. Of course we can only speculate and it may have been mentioned before but when I read over that scene I felt a great sense of sorrow for the human side of him. I am grateful that he at least had the wolf in him to turn to. Who knows the irreparable damage that had been done.

As far as the game of Snakes and Foxes, I loved how the scenes toward the end of the book shifted from that of Mat barely exiting the tower and then the book follows it up with Oliver actually beating the game. It was fantastic. As far as some voicing disdain for Oliver's voice, we also need to remember what he has been through as well as who has been raising him since that time. I agree with Jason on the sadness of Oliver losing his innocence.

Rand's scenes were very well placed I thought in that as we were getting Perrin caught up with everyone else's timelines we got just enough from Rand as well as others. Rand is indeed powerful and I actually like him. How horrible it must be for the Taint to have been so in bedded into him though from Nynaeve's PoV. I am also very grateful that he met with the Border landers after the realization that Rand had above Dragonmount. Seeing that from Perrin's perspective from the wolf dream was very well executed.

I will reiterate what people have been stating regarding Nynaeve's character throughout the book. She has really grown and I wouldn't be surprised if she shows up to help Lan wipe out the Shadowspawn horde that is about to clash with Lan in the gap. Her being able to break down the Aes Sedai both before and after her official raising as a fantastic read. Less we not forget her cleaning the madness within male channelers.

Mat's PoVs are very well written and though RJ would have done better, I realized that st finally felt like he was his older self. The was he surprised the Gholam with more than 1 fox head medallion was great but I was hoping for something just a little more. That being said I didn't feel cheated. I mean really there aren't many ways to kill those damned things lol.

Overall, I feel that this book belonged and even though we are given a few questions, I also feel that some of the resolutions we received outweighed them. Ladies and gentlemen, the last battle has begun. Shall we raise our swords and spit at the dark knowing that he comes for all of us? If we are to go off into the night let us shine so brightly that the shadow recoils as if in fear. Indeed it IS time to roll the dice. With Mat, Perrin, and Rand, our chances are as good as they will ever be.

Maybe not "too good" but the fact that the Light just keeps getting stronger and stronger has bothered me for books now. Mostly I mean the fact that damn near every character has some Talent. Oh, sure, it can be explained away by the Pattern (which is lame, but that's another topic), but I mean, it's at the point where I'm almost rooting for the Shadow because the odds are stacked so heavily against them.

And they are, in my view. Their Chosen suck. They've done nothing. I mean, it's a fantasy book so I don't expect realism, but if someone could go into T'A'R and come out wherever he wanted, and you wanted Perrin dead, how about he just steps out of T'A'R into Perrin's tent and kills him?

I mean, come on now. How is that harder than the whole Dreamspike sequence?

Every bad guy in the book is just plain dumb, and the good guys are starting to look like superheroes. (Oh, don't mind me, I'll just take down 3 bloodknives at once, while Egwene breaks the mind of one of the Forsaken with barely a struggle. Doot da doo.)

The Seanchan have felt like a far bigger threat than the Shadow throughout the series. Somehow I feel like it shouldn't be that way.

To be fair one of the main themes in the series has been about the danger of arrogance, and the Forsaken have that in spades. Gawyn may be one of the top 5 blademasters in all of Randland, so it's no surprise to me that he can manage to fight against three Bloodknives, especially when he's fighting for the woman he loves. It's not like he got off scot free either--he was going to die unless Egwene bonded him, which sounds like he barely survived.

As far as the good guys--Rand is the most strongly ta'veren character since LTT and probably even stronger. Not really surprising that he can beat the baddies. The only reason they stood a chance before is because he was ignorant, but once he started learning they were screwed.

Mat and Perrin are both super strong ta'veren as well. Perrin managed to stop the balefire from Mesaana, but I don't know if he could've faced her in a full battle and won, and that was only after years of travelling TAR and some fairly intensive training from Hopper, and loads of innate Talent in TAR thanks to being a wolf.

Egwene barely survived her encounter with Mesaana. In fact if she hadn't realized the true nature of TAR she'd be a slave to Mesaana. It actually reminds me of the end scene from the Matrix where Neo finally figures it all out.

Nynaeve is the strongest channeler to come along since the creation of the White Tower. Again, the only thing holding her back was ignorance and lack of self-confidence. My guess is that there are few of the women Forsaken who can match her in sheer strength. Their advantage is knowledge.

I think the Seanchan are supposed to be the most frightening. They have no advantages from the Dark One. They're human, like the rest of Randland, but they're organized and efficient, and ruthless and utterly terrifying.

But . . .

So were the Forsaken before the main characters started learning who they were and what they could do. Part of what makes something terrifying is not knowing about it or what it is. Once Randlanders start learning more about the Seanchan I suspect we'll start finding them less terrifying. (We already see this to a certain extent with individual Seanchan).

He sounds like someone who wants to be like Mat, and might become something similar, but he lacks that certain something. Common sense? Morals? I don´t quite know what to call it, or what it is, but it is missing.

And the phrase "hunt serving girls" disturbed me too. "Chase after women" is the term Mat usually uses (as far as i have noticed) and that sounds like fun for everyone. But hunt? That sounds... wrong.

It's called being a kid and looking at the world through skewed eyes. I always got the impression that he was very young--like 10 or so, so yeah he doesnn't exactly have a good moral compass in things.

I kept thinking to myself how horrible Boundless's human existence must have been for him to turn completely to the wolf. Of course we can only speculate and it may have been mentioned before but when I read over that scene I felt a great sense of sorrow for the human side of him. I am grateful that he at least had the wolf in him to turn to. Who knows the irreparable damage that had been done.

That was a great scene and so important to Perrin, since Noam had been haunting him for 9 books now. It's nice to know that Noam turned willingly to the wolf as a sort of healing, not that it consumed him against his will.

Could someone please tell me where in this flaming thread the real discussion starts!? I have been skimming through page after bloody page looking for someone who wants to discuss what actually happened and not go through page after page of people who didn't read the bloody thing asking. "Did this happen?" "Did this other thing happen?" I did read the bloody thing and now I need to talk to those about what did happen, and what we think is going to happen, based on what we READ. I don't care if you want spoilers before you read it, I think that's insane, but its your own business. But come on! I understand that this is a spoiler forum, but that just doesn't mean all it is about is getting the juice without eating the bloody fruit. Please let me know where the good stuff is so I can join a real discussion.

I've been lurking for a long time, finally made an account b/c I seriously need people to discuss ToM with. So here's a random thing that has been bothering me: How did Olver win at snakes and foxes in his PoV chapter? It doesn't seem like he cheated (bc he seems genuinely happy to win) , though maybe he did (since it shouldn't be mathematically winable otherwise). Did Mat messing with the ToG have some kind of effect on the game? Is it another instance of the pattern weakening? Is it significant? ...Or am i just obsessed with something totally irrelevant?

I suspect his game was linked to Mat/Thom/Jain/Moiraine's progress, much in the same way we saw the armies match the battle over Falme...

The question is, was it Matt or Olver that was determining the outcome for the other?

I am very upset :-(

I privately only had THREE little wishes for this book and I have been told by sources that I trust that NONE of the three occur in this book.

I am crushed.

Avoid reading further if you want to avoid seeing me expand on these three things:

I thought my yearnings were not too much to ask for. I didn't have to have Asmo's killer revealed or some long-prophecied battle happen. My three wishes were small things and I can't believe NONE of the three occur in TOM -

My Three Wishes Were:

1 Mesaana's Tower Identity Revealed.

2 Demandred's Identity/What He's Been Up To Revealed.

ONE of those does happen and another comes close.....

3 Not so much Moiraine Demandred's TOG Rescue Itself...But Rand Meeting Her Again.

Please...someome tell me...in the name of all that is Team Jordan, HOW could NONE of these things be in TOM???:--(((

- Fish

Hello,

Just finished ToM, wow what a fantastic book !!!

The first 400 pages a little slow but the last part was in my mind the best part so far in the series.

But I must confess, I (who had followed the wheel of time since 1993 and read the series at least 10 times) still do not know that the big unnoticed thing was.

Was it Perrins discoveries of the wolfdream or Mats spear ?

I really dont know.

Can someone help me ?

Ronneby

Could someone please tell me where in this flaming thread the real discussion starts!? I have been skimming through page after bloody page looking for someone who wants to discuss what actually happened and not go through page after page of people who didn't read the bloody thing asking. "Did this happen?" "Did this other thing happen?" I did read the bloody thing and now I need to talk to those about what did happen, and what we think is going to happen, based on what we READ. I don't care if you want spoilers before you read it, I think that's insane, but its your own business. But come on! I understand that this is a spoiler forum, but that just doesn't mean all it is about is getting the juice without eating the bloody fruit. Please let me know where the good stuff is so I can join a real discussion.

I've been lurking for a long time, finally made an account b/c I seriously need people to discuss ToM with. So here's a random thing that has been bothering me: How did Olver win at snakes and foxes in his PoV chapter? It doesn't seem like he cheated (bc he seems genuinely happy to win) , though maybe he did (since it shouldn't be mathematically winable otherwise). Did Mat messing with the ToG have some kind of effect on the game? Is it another instance of the pattern weakening? Is it significant? ...Or am i just obsessed with something totally irrelevant?

I suspect his game was linked to Mat/Thom/Jain/Moiraine's progress, much in the same way we saw the armies match the battle over Falme...

The question is, was it Matt or Olver that was determining the outcome for the other?

I'm 100% positive that they were linked but yeah, the question is which caused the other, or even if there's a casual relationship between the two. Correlation doesn't mean causation as any statistician will tell you.

OK i am also look to actually discuss the book with people that actually read it. Like whats going on with the Black tower? Is Taim one of the forsaken? it seems likely that a forsaken killed him and took his place when he was hiding from the AS. Plus he has a dream spike that was given to him by Ishmael/Moridin so he is either a very high darkfriend, forsaken or Moridin himself which knowing Ishmaels past my be likely. Also the character in the black tower fighting against him cant remember his name right now. THe one who is talented with gateways, he is hinted at being important but why is ASMO not dead is this him still blocked and weak with risidule taint left over from his time with rand before he cleansed the source he seems to know more than he lets on, maybe he has a block still in place from lanfear since it appears she is still alive just in another body at the end of the book. Also i did not see the towers of midnight actually discussed or hinted at or maybe i read to fast i am going to read again but the only metion i saw was the glossary where it said where and what they are so not sure of what their importance would be? And whats going on in Seanchan it has to be a powerful place and we have heard mention that it has a blight of its own for all we know shadowspawn could be massed there now. Also all these letters that appear to be left be Vernin show up Rand has one and Galad and i lose track of who else but they open up so many questions and answer so little. I am sure they relate to the dark prophecy and i think Galads letter may have something to do with the part of Perrins dark prophecy we saw at the end of the book and maybe a way to prevent it. Will Aveindha get back to Rand in time to get him to include the Aiel in the meeting to prevent the future. Is that future set because i do not really like it being in the book at all kind of ruins the last battle for me less worried about it now. Please people comment back thee are just most my thoughts still have others.

Hello,

Just finished ToM, wow what a fantastic book !!!

The first 400 pages a little slow but the last part was in my mind the best part so far in the series.

But I must confess, I (who had followed the wheel of time since 1993 and read the series at least 10 times) still do not know that the big unnoticed thing was.

Was it Perrins discoveries of the wolfdream or Mats spear ?

I really dont know.

Can someone help me ?

Ronneby

Not sure What you are asking about possibly ASMO's killer dilema thats or are you reffering to this particular book because there were quite a few small things.

Archived