DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss The Full Book

Luckers

Gradys son is Gaidal Cain

i said this a few pages back but someone said he is to old... but that was my thought BUT what do yall think of Ashandarei being the big unnoticed thing

It was. No one who has been around for any amount of time ever thought otherwise, because we have been wondering why the hell they gave it to him all this time.

Which means it wasn't so unnoticed. I don't know, from all the hype, I just expected it to be something way better and longer lasting. I kinda expected Mat to somehow use that spear in the Tower, considering he got it from them... it only made sense.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i said this a few pages back but someone said he is to old... but that was my thought BUT what do yall think of Ashandarei being the big unnoticed thing

It was. No one who has been around for any amount of time ever thought otherwise, because we have been wondering why the hell they gave it to him all this time.

And wow but we were utter idiots to not figure it out. We've had almost 20 years! Many many headdesks are needed to meet this toh.

-- dwn

I doubt Prophecies works that way. I am bound to think that all of the prophecies will be fulfilled one way or another. It is only Min's viewings whom I think is subject to change because Min's viewing has a direct relation with the pattern. Disrupt the pattern and it could disrupt the viewing. But Fortellings and Prophecies are not related or bound to the Pattern whatsoever. Whatever is written or said will be fulfilled

In fact you have it completely backwards. Min herself says that her visions are infallible. No matter what she does to try to change them, they come true. Only if the pattern is destroyed do her visions have no meaning.

On the other hand, Lanfear says: "Prophecy is no more than a sign of what people hope for." -The Shadow Rising: Chapter 9.

Granted, she says it while trying to divert Rand from fulfilling the prophecies regarding the Dragon. But the statement could have larger implications as well.

Thats exactly how I feel.

Just returned from the signing here in Cambridge. In the few moments I got to speak with Brandon and Harriet, they were really nice, specially considering all these days of signing so many books for so many people.

I asked him about Asmodean's death, which seems to have gotten a Meh reaction from the fan base at large. I think this is because almost nothing has been really explained.

I asked him since Graendal was implicated in Asmodean's death in the same sentence (in the glossary) that she was implicated in Mesaana's and Arangar's death but that she was not the direct agent in either of those two cases, could she also NOT be the direct agent in Asmodean's case?

He answered: "That's a valid argument, but I can't answer it."

I asked if we would eventually find the truth:

"I can't answer that as well."

So there you have it.

Not much help.

Think about it, what would Graendal be doing in Caemlyn? She's never the one in the front line. Something or someone was there who was her responsability. So we still don't know who killed Asmodean.

I think demandred rules Seanchan at this point, I'm getting more and more convinced. I shall bring out my evidence

1) TGS Prologue pg 41

"My rule is secure," Demandred said simply. "I gather for war. We will be ready."

2) TOM Chapter 1 pg 54

The Fields of Peace were aflame, the Tower of Ravens was broken as prophesied, and a murderer openly ruled in Seandar.

It seems clear to me that Demandred has seized control of Seandar, and by extension Seanchan. Not only this, but I suspect this was one of the primary objectives of the triple alliance (Mesaana, Demandred, and Semirhage). If they had been successful, they would've handed two of the most pwoerful established forces of the one power to the Dark one in a single fell swoop. Not only that, but manipulating the Seancahn against a crumbling white tower seems to me the easiest way to destroy it utterly. I don't know why so many insist its the bloody Murandian.

I don't know why so many insist its the bloody Murandian.

Because of Sammael's comment that events in the south had Demandred's mark on them, and because he commented that his rule was secure shortly after Murandy was secured.

The Seanchan invasion was also to the south of Arad Doman at the time (which was where Sammael made the comment), so your argument isn't inconsistent with that. But so were a few other things, the prophet, the whitecloaks etc.

I've never really believed he was in Seanchan though. Semirhage was clearly so active there, and the Forsaken never really trusted each other or worked together closely, they all set up their own seperate areas of influence and only collaborated on the occasional specific thing, which was never the entirety of each individual's plans. Demandred in Seanchan would be the opposite to that, he would have had to work very closely and trustingly with Semirhage, which seems unlikely. I also don't really see how Seanchan fits with his rule being secure, the Seanchan empire is in turmoil, the entire Royal family (excepting Tuon) murdered etc.

That said I'm not really convinced of Murandy either, although it does seem to be the simplest solution mainly because nothing really contradicts it. I think due to Sammael's comments on Demandred's use of proxies I've always sort of seen him standing back and pulling the strings in a variety of situations rather than posing as somebody else regularly though, which is why I find Murandy hard to believe. And also just because it's Demandred, wouldn't we have seen/heard more or at least something strange out of Murandy if he was there? I tend to think Sammael's comments about the south referred to the chaos caused by the Prophet, and that Demandred was involved there. I have to admit I'm kind of wanting to buy into the whole Demandred is responsible for the red veiled guys theory, although that would leave him ruling either Shara or something in the Blight itself.

Edits for spelling >.>

I've never really believed he was in Seanchan though. Semihrage was clearly so active there, and the Forsaken never really trusted each other or worked together closely, they all set up their own seperate areas of influence and only collaborated on the occasional specific thing, which was never the entirety of each individual's plans. Demandred in Seanchan would be the opposite to that, he would have had to work very closely and trustingly with Semihrage, which seems unlikely. I also don't really see how Seanchan fits with his rule being secure, the Seanchan empire is in turmoil, the entire Royal family (excepting Tuon) murdered etc.

We know that Mesaana, Semirhage, and Demandred were working together, though. I was always surprised how forcefully he argued for Semirhage's rescue. It's possible that Demandred and Semirhage decided to double down with the Seanchan; she'd take Tuon's place while he destabilized Seandar itself and set himself up over there.

I'm not saying I believe it. But there's certainly some support for the notion.

I don't know why so many insist its the bloody Murandian.

Because of Sammael's comment that events in the south had Demandred's mark on them, and because he commented that his rule was secure shortly after Murandy was secured.

The Seanchan invasion was also to the south of Arad Doman at the time (which was where Sammael made the comment), so your argument isn't inconsistent with that. But so were a few other things, the prophet, the whitecloaks etc.

I've never really believed he was in Seanchan though. Semihrage was clearly so active there, and the Forsaken never really trusted each other or worked together closely, they all set up their own seperate areas of influence and only collaborated on the occasional specific thing, which was never the entirety of each individual's plans. Demandred in Seanchan would be the opposite to that, he would have had to work very closely and trustingly with Semihrage, which seems unlikely. I also don't really see how Seanchan fits with his rule being secure, the Seanchan empire is in turmoil, the entire Royal family (excepting Tuon) murdered etc.

That said I'm not really convinced of Murandy either, although it does seem to be the simplest solution mainly because nothing really contradicts it. I think due to Sammael's comments on Demandred's use of proxies I've always sort of seen him standing back and pulling the strings in a variety of situations rather than posing as somebody else regularly though, which is why I find Murandy hard to believe. And also just because it's Demandred, wouldn't we have seen/heard more or at least something strange out of Murandy if he was there? I tend to think Sammael's comments about the south referred to the chaos caused by the Prophet, and that Demandred was involved there. I have to admit I'm kind of wanting to buy into the whole Demandred is responsible for the red veiled guys theory, although that would leave him ruling either Shara or something in the Blight itself.

Murandy: I refer all attention to the map, then I refer ones attention to Sammael's location: Illian. I can but that Sammael might refer to the generic are of southern randland as the south (especially if we can specifically cut out Illian (sammael) and Tear+Mayene(Rand). What I won't buy is that he was referring to the land north of him.

Also as to "Rule is secure" that to me seems less a statement of well founded confidence than an honest report on the current situation and where the brilliant tactician thinks it is going. If Demandred had a firm grasp on power then Moridin would have known.

Dear Book 14,

I just read Book 13. Have you? It's pretty flaming good!

Listen, I wanted to mention a few things I saw in bits and pieces in your predecessor that I must beg won't occur in your august pages.

1. Don't kill Talmanes. Don't kill Olver either, but for the love of Narg, do *not* kill off Talmanes to save the spud's life

2. If Fain bites off Callandor or whatnot and falls into the Pit of Doom, I shall personally burn you, and your 13 predecessors

3. You read that scene with the ToG? Yea, me too, that scene was awesome. Do stuff like that.

4. You read all those Perrin, Elayne and Egwene chapters in Book 13? Yea, me too. Pretty good. Seems to wrap up most of their flaming character arcs. Catch my drift? You have too many of those, and I swear to God above I will not only burn you, I will rewrite you first. With dirty words. Dirty, British-idiom words.

5. Demandred didn't show up once in your predecessor. The guy is *literally* the only Forsaken not to a. show up on screen and b. get his ass handed to him on a silver platter. Do *not* let him be like that. Demandred is Lews Therin's rival. They were bestest buddies; they went for the same chick; I will bet metric flametons of scheisse that Demandred was Lews Therin's best man. You know what that's called, Book 14? Backstory. It's called characterization. It's flaming powerful. Do you realize that "who is Demandred?" is the question that has figuratively and I'm sure in some cases literally tormented WOT fandom for *decades* plural.

If you muck this up, Book 14, I will chop off your manhood and feed it to the freaking goats.*

Best regards,

Mr. Micawber

*If you turn around and make Taim Demandred, I swear on all that is holy I will hunt you down, along with every one of your relatives. Let me tell you, Book, eternity with Beelzebub and all of his hellish demons will seem child's play compared with five minutes with me and this pencil.

Dear Book 14,

I just read Book 13. Have you? It's pretty flaming good!

Listen, I wanted to mention a few things I saw in bits and pieces in your predecessor that I must beg won't occur in your august pages.

1. Don't kill Talmanes. Don't kill Olver either, but for the love of Narg, do *not* kill off Talmanes to save the spud's life

2. If Fain bites off Callandor or whatnot and falls into the Pit of Doom, I shall personally burn you, and your 13 predecessors

3. You read that scene with the ToG? Yea, me too, that scene was awesome. Do stuff like that.

4. You read all those Perrin, Elayne and Egwene chapters in Book 13? Yea, me too. Pretty good. Seems to wrap up most of their flaming character arcs. Catch my drift? You have too many of those, and I swear to God above I will not only burn you, I will rewrite you first. With dirty words. Dirty, British-idiom words.

5. Demandred didn't show up once in your predecessor. The guy is *literally* the only Forsaken not to a. show up on screen and b. get his ass handed to him on a silver platter. Do *not* let him be like that. Demandred is Lews Therin's rival. They were bestest buddies; they went for the same chick; I will bet metric flametons of scheisse that Demandred was Lews Therin's best man. You know what that's called, Book 14? Backstory. It's called characterization. It's flaming powerful. Do you realize that "who is Demandred?" is the question that has figuratively and I'm sure in some cases literally tormented WOT fandom for *decades* plural.

If you muck this up, Book 14, I will chop off your manhood and feed it to the freaking goats.*

Best regards,

Mr. Micawber

*If you turn around and make Taim Demandred, I swear on all that is holy I will hunt you down, along with every one of your relatives. Let me tell you, Book, eternity with Beelzebub and all of his hellish demons will seem child's play compared with five minutes with me and this pencil.

I actually have to say I pretty much agree with everything in this post, and I was thinking a lot of it myself. I mean, seriously, imagine Demandred appears... and dies... and that's it. I really want him to have some serious character development in the next book. I know BS was just trying to catch up, but in this book, pretty much every chapter up until like page 500ish felt like it was just closing up a storyline without any effort. I understand why this happened, but let's not let it happen here. This is the LAST book... it has to be really good!

Murandy: I refer all attention to the map, then I refer ones attention to Sammael's location: Illian. I can but that Sammael might refer to the generic are of southern randland as the south (especially if we can specifically cut out Illian (sammael) and Tear+Mayene(Rand). What I won't buy is that he was referring to the land north of him.

Also as to "Rule is secure" that to me seems less a statement of well founded confidence than an honest report on the current situation and where the brilliant tactician thinks it is going. If Demandred had a firm grasp on power then Moridin would have known.

Sammael was in Arad Doman meeting with Graendal when they had the conversation in which he mentioned events in the south.

That said Sammael's comments on events to the south were entirely separate from Demandred's assessment of himself/his rule as secure. Being active in events via proxies (as noted by Sammael) to the south doesn't rule out him being elsewhere, in using proxies to the south he would free himself to be elsewhere potentially.

re the comment above, yes he was working with Mesaana and Semirhage, but we don't know on what. We do know Mesaana and Semirhage established themselves in different areas though, we do know the Forsaken don't trust each other, and we know their Alliance was relatively loose, they agreed to make no move against each other until all the other Forsaken have been eliminated. In that is the implication that they will eventually turn on each other, and that they recognise that, so to go from that to working that closely together or even opperating in the same area seems problematic.

Added to which if Semirhage and Demandred were working that closely how were they able to convince Mesaana to align with them? That would leave her as clearly the weakest in any sort of Alliance, why should she be interested in that? And just to throw in one more argument why did Demandred and Mesaana try to interceed to rescuse Semirhage if he was also active in Seanchan? It's unlikely it was out of the goodness of their hearts, they needed her to do something, and would they have needed her if Demandred has been established in the same place as she was and was cooperatively working with her in some way?

And I just don't see how Seandar at the time Demandred mentions his rule being secure could be seen as secure. He also states he's gathering for war, but it doesn't appear anything other than civil war is occurring in Seanchan.

*Edit* 4 posts here and I'm already sucked into a 'who is Demandred' discussion. Sorry to derail, like many I'd hoped to see more of him in ToM, I guess his positioning is one of the larger mysteries that's left now.

A few thoughts:

1--Re: Graendal being the one that killed Asmodean: I'm disappointed. I put this on par with the "Harry was the last Horcrux" thing (which was a serious disappointment to me in the HP series). I'd always hoped it was one of Moiraine's wishes. Especially since to me it was never "obvious" that Graendal would be there to kill the guy, considering she was never really supposed to be in Caemlyn in the first place and she's not one to directly come against you to kill you, it's not her MO. Just makes no sense. Sorry but that is just how I feel.

2--All the reunions that took place in this book made me very happy :)

3--I'm excited about what Moiraine's role will be in saving the world, can't wait to see what that is.

4--Is Aviendha dead by the time her children are in their late teens? that's what seemed to be implied by that weird scene

5--Wonder why there is a Dreamspike in the Black Tower? and is Taim making new Dreadlords?

6--The Gawyn/Egwene arc was annoying.

7--I am actually glad to see that Graendal didn't die in the last book, and actually escaped. The deaths of the Forsaken have been a little on the anti-climactic side lately in comparison to the earlier books, and that last book just felt like utter FAIL in that chapter if it were true.

8--Glad to actually see Perrin grow a pair and not let Faile rip them off and keep them for once.

9--Mat was so full of WIN in this book. He remains my favorite character in the series.

10--Not sure what to think of Lanfear at this point, that's just weird.

11--I guess the next big question is--Who are the "Aiel" with the pointy teeth and the red veils? Looking forward to finding out on that one!

I had an odd thought with the way Moridin seemed to be communing with the Dark One. I've always considered this a weird theory, but this puts more credence to it for me.

What if the Dark One is not sapient, per se? What if he's just a force. Decay. Darkness. Destruction. When Beidomon and Mierin bored into the Prison, Beidomon was closest, so the Dark One 'patterned' itself on him. We never heard anything about him since. Granted, he could be dead. Mierin? If 13 Fades can turn you, what would being in the backwash of the Dark One being freed do to you? Anyway.

If this is the case, then it lets Rand 'kill' the Dark One and seal him up -- but he's still around for the next cycle. /Or/ it's a way fo Fain to take over without the Gollum-hood. He's sealed in the Bore with the Dark One, and basically becomes the new template. And right now with what we saw in ToM, Moridin is slowly becoming the new personality pattern for the Dark One.

Just an odd idea.

Mat was great, so many ironic moments in this book (like thinking that thoms letter is just a letter), and at the end where he kills that rabbit and finds the kettle on luck. I now have this awesome image in my head that come Tarmon G he just jumps into the front lines with his remaining eye closed and goes all drunken jedi style (and succeeds of course). :mat:

Nynave went from being slightly annoying in the last few books to being that character that I liked in the start of the series in just a couple chapters. Never really changed what she did, she just was in the right situation to show just how win she really was. :nynaeve:

I think people have really only been dissapointed that it was graendel that killed asmo because they got so into it with crazy theories, RJ thought it wouldn't be that hard to figure out and so has just stirred everyone up about it since then, with BS taking over the tradition (until this book at least). Now some are laughing that they were right and others wanted some way out there theories to be proven. Moiraines' wish killed him? Not trying to mock you, I just couldn't have imagined such a creative idea, never even considered she would get three wishes.

Gawyn getting the crap cut out of him was satisfying :) Didn't want him to die though, Mat still has to beat him (with his eye closed of course)

Avihenda future dream sequence was awesome.

Damandred is so high King Darlin. Ok, so I don't have any of the knowledge about WoT hardcore fans do, and I have never predicted anything before, and it doesn't even make sense to me, but if he is I can claim to be awesome. Its just he's the only monarch at the moment where I don't think we have had his POV, and he has actually been part of the series, rather than just having the king of Murandy jump in from off stage or Shara people appearing from nowhere. We might have had his POV and I have just forgotten though, so my crazy theory would be smashed. I know that Verin being a darkfriend wasn't mentioned in her POV, but it would be sought of hard to right a a POV and somehow dodge the point of being both darkfriend and forsaken. And Rand can spot DF's and has met with him, and i am thinking that surely even a forsaken behind a mirror of mists would be pretty easy to spot with darkone sensing eyes. but I am destroying my own theory :unsure:

I can really sense that the last battle is coming, everyone meeting up, but it still feels like there should be 2 more books, seanchan and the Damandred reveal that we have been building to before the last book is almost completely dedicated to Tarmon Gaiden and what comes next (maybe an entire book on seanchan then Daman reveal?). But maybe thats just because I am too used to everything going at a slow pace (like 9 different stories at once) now that it has been cut down to 2 or 3 it will no doubt cover twice as much time as the last few books. NOw that I think about book 1 covered a lot of ground before too many characters joined the mix, so is possible

This doesn't really add anything, I was just so excited by finishing the book i had to post :biggrin: :biggrin:

Damandred is so high King Darlin.

RJ said that Demandred's alter ego had not been seen on screen as of COT, and Brandon extended it to KOD. Roedran is the only eligible monarch aside from Alsalam (unlikely), or the new Panarch or King of Tarabon (also unlikely).

RJ said that Demandred's alter ego had not been seen on screen as of COT, and Brandon extended it to KOD. Roedran is the only eligible monarch aside from Alsalam (unlikely), or the new Panarch or King of Tarabon (also unlikely).

Ahhh, ok then. I pretty much had destroyed my own theory already, but it just seemed really random to have his alter ego jump on stage left. Still, he might turn out to be some random in the BT, although honestly I find Murandy would be such a lame nation to rule, pretty much all other nations were richer and more powerful. Then again it is central, trollocs could pour out pretty much any direction from there, would be bad for randland if 500,000 trollocs jumped out at all 360 degrees of the compass and invaded 5 nations at once.

And is it just me or were any forsaken that were killed for the first time relegated to being over glorified sabatours? Halima and Darshiva, while Cyndane was a pawn to Moridin. No nation controlling for them, although Mesaana never really quite got there, neither did Graendal or Semhirage. Influential, but never the real big cheese, or even in complete control of the actual monarch. And Lanfear was a loose cannon :lanfear: , while all the male forsaken pretty much set themselves up as the ruler, barring Aginor and Baelthamel (relegated to sabatour anyways). And Asmodean was going for the Choden Kal, don't exactly need a nation with that thing in your hands, pretty much same as taking lead and becoming head honcho of a country, can do whatever the hell you want.

Edit: ok, I just realised Ishmael died and got relegated to position of dark ones overlord, but I think he is a bit of a special case, sounds like he chose to fight for dark one on the knowledge that it should win by law of averages anyway, so he would gain ultimate power one of these ages. In a twisted sense that probably makes him the most loyal forsaken.

Mattin Steppaneos wasn't seen onscreen until TGS, correct? And now he's hanging out in the White Tower, too "scared" to leave...

Mattin Steppaneos wasn't seen onscreen until TGS, correct? And now he's hanging out in the White Tower, too "scared" to leave...

I believe he was onscreen in KoD, very early in the book. He met with Elaida after arriving in the Tower.

Either way his rule isn't secure, he's not gathering for war etc.

I believe he was onscreen in KoD, very early in the book. He met with Elaida after arriving in the Tower.

Actually now I think about it it seems like Damandred has to be in BT, I highly doubt all those Murrundians are likely to march aginst the combined armies of the world when it is pretty obvious Rand is DR (even people in corners of the map admit that) unless he mass compulses them. BT on the other hand, about as secure as its ever going to be, and every one of those 1000 male channelers (I think thats a number that was mentioned once, may be less) is apparently slowly being 13+13 tricked to dark side.

Problem is, we know that Moridin is highly influential (at least) at the Black Tower. Taim wears his colors even. Yes, Demandred has given orders to Darkfriend Asha'man before, but it seems to me like Moridin has been head honcho there since he showed up (ACOS at the latest).

Was that KoD? Huh, I just re-read all those, too. Anyway, I had been thinking that there's no reason to assume that Demandred's armies are anything 'regular'. If he HAD been posing as Mattin (And I'm just using him as an example) there's no reason to think that he doesn't bugger off to the blight every once in a while to check on his Red-veiled Aiel, or whatever. I had thought that all regular armies were accounted for at this point so Mattin seemed as likely as anyone, especially given that he can hang about the white tower with his buddy Messana and see what was going on. Oh well though.

Was that KoD? Huh, I just re-read all those, too. Anyway, I had been thinking that there's no reason to assume that Demandred's armies are anything 'regular'. If he HAD been posing as Mattin (And I'm just using him as an example) there's no reason to think that he doesn't bugger off to the blight every once in a while to check on his Red-veiled Aiel, or whatever. I had thought that all regular armies were accounted for at this point so Mattin seemed as likely as anyone, especially given that he can hang about the white tower with his buddy Messana and see what was going on. Oh well though.

I think someone said before that the BT was likely due to the semhirage-mesaana-damandred alliance. One controls WT, one BT and the other Seanchan, pretty much all the channelers in the world, they would be able to roll anything that opposed them.

Archived