DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's Plans

Luckers

I'm not sure the Gholam is after Mat.

Let's face it, if you're pretty much indestructible, but come across something that can hurt and possibly kill you, wouldn't you just keep your distance?

I think it's Mat's Taverness that is drawing him near the Gholam.

I think the Gholam must be after Ellayne, and Matt saving her will be exactly what he needs to convince her to give him the metal mines he needs.

This all reminds me of a story from my past:

My friend went to Australia for His Holidays and Kindly Brought me back a Boomerang!

I Practiced with it in a Big field for weeks but It Would never Return back to me!

My friend finally admitted that he was Pulling My Leg and the Boomerang He had brought back from Australia was actually a Stick!

He later had surgery to have that stick removed from a Delicate area of his being.

That friend now stays away from me, but every now and then we run into each other.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An idea popped into my head, and in hindsight it seems so obvious.

Mat will spin the medallion over his head (like a sling), then release it in a random direction, it will then come down and blow through the gholam's head, thereby solving the problem. It doesn't matter where the gholam is, the medallion will sail far enough. It will ride the wind, bounce of roof tops and walls, get relaunched by people passing by unaware, and whatever else is necessary for it to eventually crater into the gholam.

Moral of the story: Don't mess with a ta'veren who has a weapon capable of attacking in a random way.

I am only partly joking about this idea.

I'm beginning to think the plan might be as simple as Mat luring the gholam somewhere and blowing him up. Although here is a thought--Elayne has the 'pistol' version of a shocklance, which doesn't seem to use the power at all. Potential weapon?

The Gholam has never felt pain until it met Mat. Presumably someone would have tried to shoot it with a shocklance during the Age of Legends when Gholam were known and running about.

Alot of deal has been made in the series about that medallion being the only thing able to harm the Gholam. It'll be the medallion that will kill it.

An idea popped into my head, and in hindsight it seems so obvious.

Mat will spin the medallion over his head (like a sling), then release it in a random direction, it will then come down and blow through the gholam's head, thereby solving the problem. It doesn't matter where the gholam is, the medallion will sail far enough. It will ride the wind, bounce of roof tops and walls, get relaunched by people passing by unaware, and whatever else is necessary for it to eventually crater into the gholam.

Moral of the story: Don't mess with a ta'veren who has a weapon capable of attacking in a random way.

I am only partly joking about this idea.

I find it funny I think this theory actually has the most merit. Seriously Mat will ethier randomly manage to burn his way through the gholam or even more randomly, manage to off the damn thing by being the luckest man alive. If it takes a one power trick I will burn the offending chapter, Mat is so great a character because he manages to do the impossible with mundane tools.

I imagine that Hotncold is right. Mat will allow Elayne to study his medallion on the condition that she duplicates it as a weapon he can use. Even if she had taken the oath, she is not making a weapon "for one man to kill another". In approaching Elayne, he has absolutely no intention to use the weapon she makes to kill a person. Knowing Mat, he will likely throw whatever it is away after 86ing the gholam anyway.

Elayne's never taken the oaths - she would have no problem making a weapon for anyone to kill anyone.

In this particular instance, it's difficult to see how a weapon, based on whatever the foxhead does, could be used to kill a man apart from stuffing it down his throat and choking him perhaps.

Egwene has told Elayne and Nynaeve to act as though they have taken the 3 oathes I believe. I don't see her making a weapon with the power because of this.

I imagine that Hotncold is right. Mat will allow Elayne to study his medallion on the condition that she duplicates it as a weapon he can use. Even if she had taken the oath, she is not making a weapon "for one man to kill another". In approaching Elayne, he has absolutely no intention to use the weapon she makes to kill a person. Knowing Mat, he will likely throw whatever it is away after 86ing the gholam anyway.

Elayne's never taken the oaths - she would have no problem making a weapon for anyone to kill anyone.

In this particular instance, it's difficult to see how a weapon, based on whatever the foxhead does, could be used to kill a man apart from stuffing it down his throat and choking him perhaps.

Egwene has told Elayne and Nynaeve to act as though they have taken the 3 oathes I believe. I don't see her making a weapon with the power because of this.

This may be kind of AS slippery, but isn't the oath not to "make a weapon for one man to kill another" or some such? If the weapon is made to kill a gholam (not a person), then the oath wouldn't apply?

Hence, some kind of ter'angreal that unmakes constructions of the power (Nym, chora, Gholam, perhaps other Shadowspawn?) would still be OK.

This may be kind of AS slippery, but isn't the oath not to "make a weapon for one man to kill another" or some such? If the weapon is made to kill a gholam (not a person), then the oath wouldn't apply?

Hence, some kind of ter'angreal that unmakes constructions of the power (Nym, chora, Gholam, perhaps other Shadowspawn?) would still be OK.

Also if the weave was applied to his Ashandarei he already owns it wouldn't be "making a weapon" just "Altering" one that already exists.

Also if the weave was applied to his Ashandarei he already owns it wouldn't be "making a weapon" just "Altering" one that already exists.

AS don't have problems making weapons that specifically kill shadowspawn - so long as it can't be used to kill humans.

None of them would have problems with making a gholam-specific weapon assuming they could make one.

I think however they would have problems with "strengthening" an extant weapon - unless the weave was shadowspawn-specific - because the nagninata would be dual-use against men as well.

About Elayne, she would try to keep the oaths but she's not bound to them. Like Nyn and Siuan for a while, she can lie or make a weapon that could be used by anyone to kill anything if she wants. Remember Mat saved her life twice at least; she might be prepared to do things for him.

It's like Joline and Teslyn; they were prepared to stretch their oaths and fight for Mat against non-DFs, even though they had to put their lives in danger.

Hell it may even be possible that mat lets Elayne study the foxhead medallion and is able to produce weaves that mimics it's effect, allowing her to use a weave that would kill it? though im considering it at longer odds then some of the other ideas floating around here.

What about a stasis box? Didn't one of the books list a gholam as something terrible that might be confined in a stasis box while one of the forsaken are reminiscing about the wonders of their age found in the old treasure chests?

Where would Mat come across a stasis box, let alone know how one functions?

What about a stasis box? Didn't one of the books list a gholam as something terrible that might be confined in a stasis box while one of the forsaken are reminiscing about the wonders of their age found in the old treasure chests?

And how would he persuade the gholam to hop in?

That could be the Olver issue, maybe they use him as bait?

Mat would never do that. He would have a woman stand as a bait first (something Rand can learn from him).

Mat would never do that. He would have a woman stand as a bait first (something Rand can learn from him).

Not enough blood to make good drinking in Olver and he's not a channeler.

The gholam in general, targets people for one reason or the other.

Besides what does Mat make a possible bait do? Sit in a stasis box (which he must find first, and, and) and hope the gholam will jump in?

Not enough blood to make good drinking in Olver and he's not a channeler.

The gholam in general, targets people for one reason or the other.

Besides what does Mat make a possible bait do? Sit in a stasis box (which he must find first, and, and) and hope the gholam will jump in?

And how would Mat get his bait out of the stasis box that he doesn't how to use or know it's whereabouts?

It's a bit late for making any weapons now, so his plan needs to be random like most of his luck is based on. Luck will be the key thing here.

We all know his Fox Head medallion can injure the Gholam but can it destroy it. Their is no clue to that being the case.

The medallion will kill it. Exactly how will be a great read involving distractions/help from Matts friends, or AS, and his luck will most certainly be involved. The medallion will burn a whole through its chest cavity.

Or when he could gateway to the tower. It follows him and gets, is just about to arrive, Matt then jumps back, and it is now stuck in the middle of nowhere. Then, during the last battle in the last book, it shows up unexpectidly during a crucial time, and Rand kills it with the true power.

Or.. Its shows up just after they get out of the tower, and Moraine brings another Medallion like object out, and with now two weapons, and Matts luck, they kill it.

Archived