DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

top 5 moments in the series so far

In no particular order.

1. Rand and Moridin chat. "... You do not understand the magnitude of the stupidity of that statement."

2. Dumai's Well's: "Kneel Aes Sedai, or you will be knelt."

3. Igntar's last stand: In my opinion, the most powerful scene in the book. In one sacrifice, a man acts to redeem his soul.

4. Moiraine vs. Lanfear: It wasn't until she was gone that we all realized how much we love Moiraine. And how bloody awesome she was.

5. The Cleansing: Big pew-pew beams, lots of 'splosions, huge guns (err... angreal), beaten forsaken... how could you not love it?

Maybe we should do a top 5 worst moments in the series sometimes? That would be hilarious. As a prelude:

1. Nyneave scowls.

2. Faile does anything.

3. Skirt-smoothing.

4. Gawyn speaks.

etc.

Or maybe a top 5 funniest moments?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Haha, I think this would be way easier if it were "Top 5 moments from each book.")

OK:  top 5 scenes from CoT GO!

5. Tuon wearing Mat's rosebuds.

4. The Hall finding out what happened to Shadar Logoth

3. Tuon asking Mat if he's seen Hawkwing's face

2. Shadar Haran marking Alviarin and punishing Mesaana

1. Perrin cutting off the Aielman's hand

I actually have like 16 more favorite scenes from CoT.

Hmm, I think many of my fave moments are literally the emotional , one sentence bits...

'They have caged Shadowkiller.' Perrn to wolves, directly pre-Dumai's Wells, knowing so many wolves will die.

'My husband rides to Tarwin's Gap. Will he ride alone?'  Gasp.

The comic - 'If  I pinch your bottom you can slap my face , but until then a civil word deserves a civil word, and I distinctly heard myself speak!'  - Or words to that effect. Mat barking at Berelain in Tear.

The funny - Mat clattering Joline's arse. I. Howled.

And the wonderful - Egwene putting verbal manners on Elaida. Loved it. As well as the truly spooky ending of that scene, with her standing, bleeding. Amazing.

Bags, so many wonderful scenes. Not even counting VOG.

• Ingtar's Last Stand in 'To Come Out of the Shadow', tGH
  • Egwene's Three Arches Test #2 in 'The Price of a Ring', tDR
  • Emond Field's Last Stand in 'Goldeneyes', tSR
  • Moiraine's Sacrifice in 'Choices' and her subsequent letter to Rand in 'Fading Words', tFoH
  • Egwene's Defense of the White Tower in 'The Tower Stands', tGS

Veins of Gold deserves an honorable mention, but as it comes after 'The Tower Stands' I chose as I did.

In chronological order:

Rand tries and fails to revive the dead girl in The Stone

Perrin Defends The Two Rivers

Dumai's Wells

Verin's triumph (Verin's reveal if you must)

Egwene defends the WT

I'm going to cheat and give honorable mentions to:

Mat takes control and defeats Couladin

Moiraine takes Lanfear

The Cleansing of Saidin

I'm into WH in my first re-read and although a top five list might be hard to come up with, Dumais Wells is definitely my favorite scene in the series.  Call me a sadist but when I started the re-read I couldn't wait to get to "Asha'man kill!" and the results that ensue. This is the point where Saidin gets to step up and flex its muscles after thousands of years, and the annoying Aes Sedai finally get put in their place.  I remember being so excited reading that scene unfold when I read it for the first time.  

I'm into WH in my first re-read and although a top five list might be hard to come up with, Dumais Wells is definitely my favorite scene in the series.  Call me a sadist but when I started the re-read I couldn't wait to get to "Asha'man kill!" and the results that ensue. This is the point where Saidin gets to step up and flex its muscles after thousands of years, and the annoying Aes Sedai finally get put in their place.  I remember being so excited reading that scene unfold when I read it for the first time. 

Rand crushing their souls with fists of spirit, classic.

Oh oh oh @ Hadilmir - Emond's Field's last stand against the Trollocs - and Alsbet Luhan (I think it was her, or Daise Congar) telling Perrin how the Whitecloaks sat their horses as pretty as girls at Sunday, then Perrin shames them so badly they skulk out of town.....

love love love it.

five greatest moments?

oh WOW!

1.    dumai's wells 

2.    rand and the true source......repeat......rand AND THE TRUE SOURCE......dam

rand at dragonmount was nice.......but verin??

3.      verin??

everyone suspected......how she used the oaths .... how she was...

the cleansing had 2 happen....but i  expected more drama after......hey! its clean!  we are ok!  not......

4.  book 4  the entire book

5. TOM....dam    still waiting!!!!!

5. Rand stilling the three Aes Sedai

4. Rand yelling "I AM THE STORM"

3. Mat scaring the living **** out of the supergirls when Nynaeve kicks him in Egwene's study.

2. The battle in the sky after the Horn is blown.

1. Tuon realizing she had no idea who Mat really is.

Wait, when does this happen? KoD? Because I'm about 3/7th of the way through and I really want to see this happen.

3. Mat scaring the living **** out of the supergirls when Nynaeve kicks him in Egwene's study.

Wait, when does this happen? KoD? Because I'm about 3/7th of the way through and I really want to see this happen.

Let's just say you're going to love every single Mat chapter for the rest of the book.  KoD made Mat my favorite character.

Let's just say you're going to love every single Mat chapter for the rest of the book.  KoD made Mat my favorite character.

Book 11 is certainly shaping up to be one of my favorites

Book 11 is certainly shaping up to be one of my favorites

True, Mat was one of my faves already, but KoD cemented him in the top spot.

'They have caged Shadowkiller.' Perrn to wolves, directly pre-Dumai's Wells, knowing so many wolves will die.

'My husband rides to Tarwin's Gap. Will he ride alone?'  Gasp.

Finally!

Read the posts before that one and was amazed by the fact that nobody mentioned "Golden Crane" from KoD. Are you serious? That was one of the best, if not the best, moments in the series!

The one with wolves in LoC is also very emotional and I also include it in my list.

Okay, am 3/4rs of the way through book 11 and I have a couple more scenes to add :p

- All the novices standing up for Egwene as she entered for her meal

- The golden crane

- Tuon realizing she had no idea who Mat was.

Yup, book 11 is awesome  ;D

Hello, first time posting so I scanned the best I could to see which post I would want to reply to first and this one peaked my interest.

I have been a Fan of the smaller characters (if they can be called that) for their small moments that make a reader stop and think "hmmm... that person stands out".

1) Eben Hopwil taking on a forsaken, Aran'Gar, what was going on in his POV I wonder... something like, "oh crap oh crap oh crap"

2) Thom, a simple gleeman realises that there is no way for him Matt and Rand can get away decides to battle a Mydraal with a couple of knives! and actually did a bang on job of keeping it at bay. Thom is my favorite character, so that was the moment I thought, hmm.... that person stands out.

I would post my other Three but they have been mentioned already, so thats it, my two.

tDR - Matt vs. Gawayn and Galad

I must've winded through and through the book just to get a hold of this short part =)

tGS - End with Rand and Lewis Therin

And lastly - Reading that Moiraine wasn't burned out/stilled/dead/worse(?) and was back in action! And then in tGS when they finally decide its time to rescue her let me breathe a bit

Archived