DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Oops, mistake end book 3

jsbrads

Yeah, i dont see any mistake there.

It may be that the connection has something to do with it, but it has never been stated one way or the other, so it cant be a mistake really. Or we wouldnt know it to be one.

(Any quotes regarding the body swapping stuff? I cant remember too much)

The Black Threads aren't a connection to the Dark One.

Q61: I’m trying to verify Rand’s impression he has at the end of book four, regarding the connection [the Black Cords] he cuts [from] Asmodean. Rand seemed to believe [the Black Cords] was the connection directly from that individual to the Dark One. So what I am wondering is, is that connection key to transmigration?

RJ: No, because what you are thinking of wasn’t a connection, Rand thought it was.

Now, this is somewhat confusing given that when Asmodean's cords were cut he was exposed to the taint. So, the cords are not a connection, but they are at least involved. My suggestion would be that they are in fact the Chosen Mark. We know that as well as losing protection from the Taint Asmodean lost his ability to order Shadowspawn which is a direct use of the Mark--which we know from tFoH--55--The Threads Burn when he is forced to fight Shadowspawn.

If this is the case it answers a problem with this quote...

From [ACOS book signing, Dunwoody, Georgia; 9 October, 1996, report by Erica Sadun], "Access to the TP is a matter of wanting it and the Dark One letting you. NOT black cords."

The problem with this being that when Rand cut Ishamael's threads he lost the True Power [tdR--55--What Is Written In Prophecy]. My answer for this contradiction would be that the threads, as the Mark, are what enable Ishamael to ask--as in it serves as permission to ask. Whatever it is its involved in the process of asking and recieving in some way.

From [ACOS book signing, Dunwoody, Georgia; 9 October, 1996, report by Erica Sadun], "Access to the TP is a matter of wanting it and the Dark One letting you. NOT black cords."

The problem with this being that when Rand cut Ishamael's threads he lost the True Power [tdR--55--What Is Written In Prophecy]. My answer for this contradiction would be that the threads, as the Mark, are what enable Ishamael to ask--as in it serves as permission to ask. Whatever it is its involved in the process of asking and recieving in some way.

but Rand didn't have the threads when he used the true power in TGS, was he a special case?

TDR Maidens of the Spear : Aviendha is of the Bitter Water sept.

TSR Tanchico or Tower : Aviendha is of the Nine Valleys sept.

Has this been corrected?

That has been corrected. Check encylclopedia-wot's errata section for known errors.

How did the trollops and myradrall get to telrhoid they can't travel

Asmodean called it a connection to DO

Highly likely that the Forsaken just 'willed' them there - as such they were constructs of T'a'R (much like the fish and water were, or the Trollocs when the Aes Sedai got trapped in the nightmare.

Now, this is somewhat confusing given that when Asmodean's cords were cut he was exposed to the taint. So, the cords are not a connection, but they are at least involved. My suggestion would be that they are in fact the Chosen Mark. We know that as well as losing protection from the Taint Asmodean lost his ability to order Shadowspawn which is a direct use of the Mark--which we know from tFoH--55--The Threads Burn when he is forced to fight Shadowspawn.

I thought the black cord was the protection from the Taint given to the male Chosen. correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't seen a Female with the black cord. Aginor was also severed.

but Rand didn't have the threads when he used the true power in TGS, was he a special case?

Well, maybe not--he did have access to a Mark, just not his own.

Tamyrlin: I'm trying to verify Rand's impression he has at the end of book four, regarding the connection he cuts from Asmodean to the Dark One. He seemed to believe it was the connection directly from that individual to the Dark One. So what I am wondering is, is that connection key to transmigration?

Jordan: No, because what you are thinking of wasn't a connection. Rand only thought it was. 

Q: ... and Rand severs some black ties. Isn't that ...

RJ: That was cutting off his protection from the Taint and also cut off his ability, it was not like stilling them. It was cutting the ties that, most important to him, protected him from the Taint on saidin, so he could draw saidin all he wanted to and never worry about the Taint. But it was also those ties that represented his ability, or the conduits by which he could draw on the True Power. But it was not his ability to draw, it was not the same thing as stilling or severing, it was more like shielding.

• 11 months later...

TDR Maidens of the Spear : Aviendha is of the Bitter Water sept.

TSR Tanchico or Tower : Aviendha is of the Nine Valleys sept.

Has this been corrected?

That has been corrected. Check encylclopedia-wot's errata section for known errors.

Asmodean called it a connection to DO

Highly likely that the Forsaken just 'willed' them there - as such they were constructs of T'a'R (much like the fish and water were, or the Trollocs when the Aes Sedai got trapped in the nightmare.

If Forsaken willed them there they would need to maintain them with their own presence and mind control, and if they were made into nightmares, then they would live on their own but be a separate entity, you can get sucked into the nightmare an be in a separate environment...

The Shadowspawn were simply a construction of TAR. You man make unicorns and crystal castles in TAR. What's a Trolloc?

exactly.

If Forsaken willed them there they would need to maintain them with their own presence and mind control, and if they were made into nightmares, then they would live on their own but be a separate entity, you can get sucked into the nightmare an be in a separate environment...

The unicorn that Elayne and Nynaeve made lived on its own after they made it and they had a hard time getting rid of it.

Also, the description of the scene where Trollocs show up makes it very clear that they are TAR creations projected there by Ishy along with tons of other stuff he was throwing at Rand.

Myrddraal and Trollocs leaped out of thin air, huge bestial shapes and eyeless faces distorted with a rage to kill, in hundreds, so they jammed the hall before him and behind, scythe-like swords and blades of deadly black steel seeking his blood. Without knowing how, he turned them to vapor that parted before him—and vanished. The air around him suddenly became choking soot, clogging his nostrils, shutting off breath, but he made it fresh air again, a cool mist. Flames leaped from the floor beneath his feet, spurted from the walls, the ceiling, furious jets that flashed tapestries and rugs, tables and chests to wisps of ash, flung ornaments and lamps ahead of them as drops of molten, burning gold; he smashed the fires flat, hardened them into a red glaze on the rock.

-TDR, Ch 57

At the risk of going off-topic, and I know this was only an accidental typo, but I find the idea of Tarmon Gaidon involving an army of Trollops hilarious. I don't know if 'trollop' means the same thing elsewhere as it does in the UK, but I could imagine Graendal and Aran'gar at the vanguard, and the light-side defence crumbling as Nynaeve practically explodes in a fit of folding-arms-under-bosom disapproval.

Archived