DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin and Galad, what are they gonna do?

Now we all know Galad and Perrin are gonna meet and that eventual Perrin will save Rand later on.

But what happens in between? Is it all gonna be Whitecloak politics and Slayer shenningans in TAR? Is there gonna be anything on a larger scale going down in Ghealdan and northern Altara? Will the Seanchan go looking for the Whitecloaks. Will Perrin and co. run into the Darkhounds or other Shadowspawn? What about the 100k refugees?

Now we all know Galad and Perrin are gonna meet and that eventual Perrin will save Rand later on.

But what happens in between? Is it all gonna be Whitecloak politics and Slayer shenningans in TAR? Is there gonna be anything on a larger scale going down in Ghealdan and northern Altara? Will the Seanchan go looking for the Whitecloaks. Will Perrin and co. run into the Darkhounds or other Shadowspawn? What about the 100k refugees?

Here Be Total Speculation...

a.) Galad is leading the Whitecloaks. Morgase is still in hiding among Perrin's group. They're going to bump into each other, and I'm sure that's how Perrin figures out that he's had an ex-Queen hiding out among his followers. Galad will say "Mom?!" and then the jig will be up. It's the way that makes the most sense.

b.) Where Rand is the Ruler archetype and Mat is the Rogue, Perrin has always represented the Common Man. He hasn't wanted to take up the mantle of leadership; on the contrary, he's wanted to just be a normal guy, working in the forge and living a normal life of meaningful hard work.  One of the predominant themes in Perrin's arcs, expounded upon in his meeting with Faile's father, is that heroes and great men are sometimes called to be more than just common men. He might want a blue collar existence, but the Wheel is not going to allow that. He threw away the axe and kept the hammer because he has dreams of one day being just a blacksmith.

That said, keeping in with that theme, Perrin is going to find that he is, indeed, the soul of the average joe personified. You see, at the Last Battle, everyone is going to fight. Don't believe me? Read the Prologue to TGS. Average men, hard workers, are turning their farming tools into weapons, taking their livestock, and proceeding north.

And Perrin? He's been trying to shirk the leadership role, but it's not happening. He's begrudgingly come to accept that. And I think it'll surprise him when he comes to accept that in the Last Battle, when everyone is going to fight, he's suddenly got about 100,000 more soldiers than he realizes. I firmly believe that on top of all the trained military (Mayeners, Whitecloaks, Gheadeanen, Aiel, etc...) he has tens of thousands of average people who are willing to fight and die on behalf of the Light. Perrin has a mighty, mighty army at his command, and he doesn't even realize it. And isn't he supposed to be going... North? ;)

Here Be Total Speculation...

a.) Galad is leading the Whitecloaks. Morgase is still in hiding among Perrin's group. They're going to bump into each other, and I'm sure that's how Perrin figures out that he's had an ex-Queen hiding out among his followers. Galad will say "Mom?!" and then the jig will be up. It's the way that makes the most sense.

b.) Where Rand is the Ruler archetype and Mat is the Rogue, Perrin has always represented the Common Man. He hasn't wanted to take up the mantle of leadership; on the contrary, he's wanted to just be a normal guy, working in the forge and living a normal life of meaningful hard work.  One of the predominant themes in Perrin's arcs, expounded upon in his meeting with Faile's father, is that heroes and great men are sometimes called to be more than just common men. He might want a blue collar existence, but the Wheel is not going to allow that. He threw away the axe and kept the hammer because he has dreams of one day being just a blacksmith.

That said, keeping in with that theme, Perrin is going to find that he is, indeed, the soul of the average joe personified. You see, at the Last Battle, everyone is going to fight. Don't believe me? Read the Prologue to TGS. Average men, hard workers, are turning their farming tools into weapons, taking their livestock, and proceeding north.

And Perrin? He's been trying to shirk the leadership role, but it's not happening. He's begrudgingly come to accept that. And I think it'll surprise him when he comes to accept that in the Last Battle, when everyone is going to fight, he's suddenly got about 100,000 more soldiers than he realizes. I firmly believe that on top of all the trained military (Mayeners, Whitecloaks, Gheadeanen, Aiel, etc...) he has tens of thousands of average people who are willing to fight and die on behalf of the Light. Perrin has a mighty, mighty army at his command, and he doesn't even realize it. And isn't he supposed to be going... North? ;)

Doesn't Perrin already know Morgase is ...Morgase? Or he knows she is a former noblewoman or something right?

Also without training, I don't think those 100,000 "soldiers" will be any good at the Last Battle. And I think it would take time for a few hundred real soldiers to train 100,000.

Doesn't Perrin already know Morgase is ...Morgase? Or he knows she is a former noblewoman or something right?

He suspected that she wasn't the serving woman she claimed to be. Based on what Tam revealed to Rand in connection with Rand seeing Perrin with Galad, apparently Galad's appearance is what blows Morgase's cover. We haven't seen Perrin learning of this yet on-screen.

Also without training, I don't think those 100,000 "soldiers" will be any good at the Last Battle. And I think it would take time for a few hundred real soldiers to train 100,000.

They've all been out in the field a while now.  Most wars have come down to people just like this in the real world, anyway.

They've all been out in the field a while now.  Most wars have come down to people just like this in the real world, anyway.

None of them being "out in the field" has been actual combat experience though. They have been slaves for their entire time "in the field".

Well no, but there isn't necessarily a clear distinction between these two things.  A lot of it comes down to taking care of the mundane logistics, staying on top of supplies, and establishing the discipline or order needed when you have this many soldiers around.  So they've been gaining experience in the background this whole time and it does count a fair bit.

But what I'm saying is if they are going to be going toe to toe with Trollocs, they are going to need training in more than logistics and supplies. Also from what I understand the Aiel aren't really the type of army you can learn from being in the background. Also most of the gai'shain were working the entire time they were captive, so they likely didn't get to watch any of the Aiel doing drills, if they even do drills which I doubt Aiel do. They were kept in "order" by fear of the Aiel, which is not a good way to gain experience or learn discipline.

The point is not that the 100,000 are highly trained field troops (which they are most certainly are not), but that they are common men and women who are going to fight at the Last Battle because that's what must be done. Perrin, a common man turned leader, is going to lead them to that battle.

The idea maybe seems ludicrous, but it is in sync thematically with concepts we've already seen. I mean, if you are dismissive of the fact that average folk can and will fight at the Last Battle, then that bit about those farmers and smiths burying their anvils, converting their tools into weapons, and going north... well, they're just all wasting their time, aren't they? And there was no point to writing that bit in the Prologue.

Keep in mind not all of those 100,000 came from Malden. A good many are just people who happened to come across Perrin's followers and decided they "felt safer" with him. So I'd expect that number to grow.

Will Lan have a similar problem with his gathering Malkieri ex-pats?

Will he and Perrin's army meet up? Would Lan be able to do some rapid training?

IIRC Narishma was a cobbler's son or something similar and he was in a militia and received good training with the sword. Every abled bodied man on the border carriers arms and knows how to use them. If you read New Spring, when Lan describes the crowd of farmers and merchants waiting entrance to Chachin every single one of them is carrying some kind of major weapon.

IIRC Narishma was a cobbler's son or something similar and he was in a militia and received good training with the sword. Every abled bodied man on the border carriers arms and knows how to use them. If you read New Spring, when Lan describes the crowd of farmers and merchants waiting entrance to Chachin every single one of them is carrying some kind of major weapon.

narishma said that when he came to the black tower he could best the previous armsmen and he only had the borderlander militia training

And that one guy Nyn talked to in KoD thought about how even as a merchant he kicks @$$ with a sword, most of the Malkier ex-pats have recieved training to the point of earning the hadori most just don't want to wear it and try to blend in with the local borderland they live in.

Remember WoT is a fantasy series even though RJ went to great lengths to make it as realistic as possible.  Besides not everyone has to be a soldier there are always way more people with an army than just soldiers, even an army engaged in war to the knife.  They still need to eat, sharpen weapons, make repairs etc. and that will require people unless someone thinks to set up supply posts that you can travel or skim too.

You know, if Galad and Berelain do hook up (and not just fall for each other, which is about all the more we ever here), it would be awesome if their child was Gaidal Cain.

gaidal cain is far to awesome to be born by the seed of Galad. and to ugly to be born of berelain, queen of hotness

God yeah, I think a child of that union would prob turn out to be Helen of Troy or something. Way too pretty to be any kind of useful.

I know, that's why I think it would be awesome.  Irony has it's place.  :D

And that one guy Nyn talked to in KoD thought about how even as a merchant he kicks @$$ with a sword, most of the Malkier ex-pats have recieved training to the point of earning the hadori most just don't want to wear it and try to blend in with the local borderland they live in.

Armies clashing isnt exactly that much about fancy swordplay though. Speaking logically, it should mainly come down to discipline and moral/goal. 1000 vs 1000 is alot of tight jabbing and slashing i would say:P

Ooh! Of course! I'd forgotten all about those two. They're fairly lily livered, though aren't they? I'd say they'll pipe down and mind their manners when they see the size of Perrin's army. Though of course he wouldn't want to go wandering alone... Yeah lookin forward to the Perrin/Galad meet up now. Lots of fun there - Galad+Morgase, Galad+Berelain...

Archived