DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trivial Pursuit - Congratulations White Tower

What does the symbol of a man with eyes that almost take up his entire face mean, and in what current (New Era) country does this symbol have significance?

[glow=yellow,2,300]The carving seemed an odd choice—what people

around Ebou Dar called the Thirteen Sins; a man with eyes that nearly filled his whole face for Envy,[/glow] a fellow with his tongue hanging to his ankles for Gossip, a snarling, sharp-toothed man clutching coins to his chest for Greed, and so on—but all in all, it satisfied her very much.

*********** (Thank you Myst - I will say the competitors are much better than I thought and I had to make the questions a lot harder. I appreciate the appreciation) ************

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[glow=yellow,2,300]The carving seemed an odd choice—what people

around Ebou Dar called the Thirteen Sins; a man with eyes that nearly filled his whole face for Envy,[/glow]

Correct.

[glow=blue,2,300]

but he thought she might make even an Aes Sedai step back.

Like Isebele of Dal Calain, who had made the Amyrlin Anghara come to her. That was one of the old

memories; Dal Calain had vanished in the Trolloc Wars.[/glow]

Correct.

[glow=green,2,300]Mesaana said the thing could take hammer blows without breaking, but she undid the wrappings with the care she would have used with a piece of fine blown glass, revealing a ter’angreal. A brilliant red rod no larger than her forefinger, utterly smooth except for a few fine lines worked into the surface in a sinuous interconnecting pattern. Embracing the Source, she touched that pattern with hair-thin flows of Fire and Earth at two of the interconnections. That would not have been necessary in the Age of Legends, but something called the “standing flows” no longer existed. A world where almost any ter’angreal could be used by people unable to channel seemed odd beyond comprehension. Why had it been allowed? Pressing one end of the rod hard with her thumb—the One Power was not enough, by itself—she sat down heavily and leaned against the chair’s low back, staring at the thing in her hand.[/glow]

Correct.

I'm kind of disappointed, I spent a long time trying to make those three real posers.

Throughout the series, we see trimmed quill pens as the normal method of writing with ink.  Name an instance in which something OTHER than a quill pen was used for ink writing and what was used instead.

You are awarded one brown Pie

I can't figure this out. I don't think it is the weaves used for wards to make ink/letters disappear. You said it isn't the printing Press nor do I think it is the Book Ter'Angreal from Knife of Dreams. The steel nibbed/tipped quill pens are still those along with Loial or Elder Haman's large quill pens... I'm at a complete lost. I thought Semirhage might have done something with torture, but that wasn't the case... *Sighs*

Good job Claire.

Edit: *Laughs* Well you got me with this one.

Black Tower has asked their final question. White Tower you still have three questions to ask.

Correct

Round 4 begins at the start of this timestamp. You have 48 hours to post your questions for me here. I'll have 24 hours to answer them. Put as many down at a time as you want it can be one or all of them.

Black Tower gets to ask 6 questions.

White Tower gets to ask 8 questions.

Make them from the categories you need. Whoever has the most sets wins and if that is a tie the most pie pieces.

Good luck trying to stump me. Any book is available to you.

White Tower team you have 12 and a half hours to post your three questions.

(You have already won though)

What group of civilian (non-channeling, non-military) characters do we see wearing unrelieved black livery?

What is "The Three Geese?"

Name a breed of WoT draft horse.

[glow=orange,2,300]6. Cairhien's Grand Hall of the Sun (Sun Palace). They are the palace's servants. [/glow]

7. [glow=blue,2,300]It is a constellation.[/glow]

In that cloudless sky, the moon gave enough light to wash out most stars even if it was waning, but it left enough. There was the Haywain, high overhead, and the Five Sisters, and the Three Geese pointing the way north. The Archer, the Plowman, the Blacksmith, the Snake. Aiel called that one the Dragon. The Shield, that some called Hawkwing's Shield—that made him shift; in some of his memories he did not like Artur Paendrag Tanreall at all—the Stag, and the Ram. The Cup, and the Traveler with her staff standing out sharp.

8.[glow=green,2,300]I'm just going to go with Dhurrans [/glow]and I think Piebalds are as well off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct on the questions up to here so

Congratulations White Tower you've won by a single question!

Would all of you like sigs for competing in this game? I appreciate you all joining in and playing I hope you all had a good time.

I would like to open up the two questions that stumped me to the other teams...

White Tower -

Name 5 horses in the series that are named after birds.

Black Tower -

Throughout the series, we see trimmed quill pens as the normal method of writing with ink.  Name an instance in which something OTHER than a quill pen was used for ink writing and what was used instead.

The servants he saw in the palace corridors wore unrelieved black livery; perhaps Rand had ordered it, and perhaps the servants themselves had simply adopted it. TJhey had been uneasy without livery, as though they did not know where they belonged, and black seemed safe as Rand's color because of the Asha'man. Those who saw Perrin scampered away as fast as they could, not waiting for any bows or curtsies. Fear scent drifted behind them. For once his yellow eyes had nothing to do with anyone being afraid. It might not be safe to loiter near a man at whom the Dragon Reborn had unleashed his rage so publicly this very morning. Perrin eased the shoulder under his saddlebags. A long while had passed since anyone had been able to pick him up and throw him. Of course, no one had ever used the Power to try, before. One moment in particular stuck with him. He pushed himself up holding his shoulder, sliding his back up the square column that had stopped his flight. He thought a few ribs might have cracked. Around the Grand Hall of the Sun, a scattering of nobles who had come to appeal one thing or another to Rand tried to look anywhere else, tried to pretend they were anywhere else. Only Dobraine watched, shaking his gray head, as Rand stalked across the throne room.

Ugh, good call Wombat. I read over that section with Wind several times and missed it by skimming. And a Piebald isn't a draft horse *Shrugs*

sigil—and she wrote the wager, the name of the horse and a symbol indicating the race on the back with a fine brush that she took from a lacquered box held by a pretty girl.

Hainan gravely examined the writing box that was held out to him by the gai'shain, then produced one almost as large, though quite plain, from a capacious coat pocket. The pen he took from it was polished wood, rather fatter than Rand's thumb and long enough to look slender. It fit the Ogier's sausage-thick fingers perfectly. He got down on hands and knees, crawling among the maps as Rand sorted, occasionally dipping his pen in the gai'shain's inkpot, annotating in a handwriting that seemed too large until you realized that for him it was very small.

*Sighs* Should have read more carefully.

[glow=orange,2,300]6. Cairhien's Grand Hall of the Sun (Sun Palace). They are the palace's servants. [/glow]

Incorrect. Cairhienin Sun Palace livery: "She wore an unadorned gray dress so dark it was nearly black."  (CoT)

7. [glow=blue,2,300]It is a constellation.[/glow]

In that cloudless sky, the moon gave enough light to wash out most stars even if it was waning, but it left enough. There was the Haywain, high overhead, and the Five Sisters, and the Three Geese pointing the way north. The Archer, the Plowman, the Blacksmith, the Snake. Aiel called that one the Dragon. The Shield, that some called Hawkwing's Shield—that made him shift; in some of his memories he did not like Artur Paendrag Tanreall at all—the Stag, and the Ram. The Cup, and the Traveler with her staff standing out sharp.

Correct.

8.[glow=green,2,300]I'm just going to go with Dhurrans [/glow]and I think Piebalds are as well off the top of my head.

Doh!  I forgot about Dhurrans.  They are a heavy working horse, so yes that would qualify.  That wasn't the breed I was thinking about though.  So... correct, because I'm an idiot.  Oh, and Piebalds are not a breed, really, they're a coloration pattern that could be seen in a horse of almost any breeding.

Congrats to the White Tower. Claire,. I believe you did that almost single handedly, lol You are one fearsome lady ;)

Al Jenn your knowledge also is darn good as is Ed's and Wombats. It was a great game, and great fun as well!

*bows*

Swallow (owned by Faile), Sparrow, Redwing, Swift, and Akein (Swallow in the Old Tongue, owned by Tuon).

"No mere piebald, that."

Replace Swift with Aldazar and you have it.  According to Galina's POV in the KoD prologue, she named the horse Swift "because one day it would carry her swiftly to freedom."

The unrelieved black of Amadician countrymen, buttoned to the neck though the wearers seemed about to sweat to death, stood alongside Murandian village dresses with long colorful aprons so narrow they must be only for show, and even a handful of copper-skinned Domani, the men in short coats if they wore one, the women in wool or linen so thin it clung like silk

[glow=orange,2,300]I'll go with the Amadician Countrymen[/glow] similar to what Wombat said.

I'll find the draft horse you were thinking of when I get home.

Wombat I see what you meant by your question now. I misinterpreted it. I took it more as 'horses with bird names' than 'named after birds'. Good question.

I thought about making a blue question about ancient Seanchan. I never got around to looking it up though. I'm not sure if they talk about it when Rand chases after Aviendha or when they talk about the history of the Seanchan and the Armies of Night.

**************************************************************************************

Well congratulations and thank you to all the participants. This game is now open to whoever wants to post here.

So feel free to critize, comment, and critique the game. Did you enjoy it? Were the questions good? How did the team dynamics work for you guys? What were your thoughts in the game... etc.

Or if you were observing *Waves at Myst* feel free to stop in and talk as well.

Incorrect. Cairhienin Sun Palace livery: "She wore an unadorned gray dress so dark it was nearly black."  (CoT)

I had thought Al Jenn's answer was correct, which is why I brought up the Amadician merchants.

"The servants he saw in the palace corridors wore unrelieved black livery; perhaps Rand had ordered it, and perhaps the servants themselves had simply adopted it." (LoC Ch. 27)

Archived