DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Are Your Fave ... ''Endearing/Sweet/Touching'' ... Moments Of The Series?

The Fisher King

They have caged Shadowkiller    ofc just a big fewerish chill every time i even look at the words

Somewhere when lanfear tries to trick rand over to the shadow  and suddenly he says

"No Mierin! I was never yours! I have always belonged to Illyena!"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always the fan of Ingtar's last stand.  Also, Lan and Jaem "Embrace Death!".  When Rand opened the Gateway into the Andoran Throne Room, and says "Rhavin".. that one gave me goose bumps.  For all the desciption given to us when someone says something and it is compared with steel being beared, this is the only time I could actually hear it.

To me the most touching moment in all the books is Ingtars last stand. I just thought it was amazing how after being a darkfriend he wanted to redeem himself by sacrificing himself to save those he cared about... Epic and not in the stupid internet slang way kinda epic I mean Epic as in just amazing plain and simple.

When hopper flies in the wolf dream, it brought a tear. Also I felt sad for Pevin the flag guy as well. Never got any sort of redemption, revenge or whatever just died. The death of morr also. Hopper flying is the one that immediately popped in my head though. I will decide on the rest.

I love when he says, "Here I soar with the eagles."

:'(

This is a paragraph I especially like...

KoD Ch 30

Burdened with waterskins and pots and kettles till she almost felt decently covered, Galina staggered through the forest at Therava's heels. She did not think of the rod or escape. Something had broken in her. She was Galina Gasban, Highest of the Red Ajah, who sat on the Supreme Council of the Black Ajah, and she was going to be Therava's plaything for the rest of her life. She was Therava's little Lina. For the rest of her life. She new that to her bones. Tears rolled down her face.

I wonder if we'll see little Lina again?

Will the White Tower get her before Rand or Perrin?

To me the most touching moment in all the books is Ingtars last stand. I just thought it was amazing how after being a darkfriend he wanted to redeem himself by sacrificing himself to save those he cared about... Epic and not in the stupid internet slang way kinda epic I mean Epic as in just amazing plain and simple.

That scene is so powerful.  It's foreshadowed just before Falme when they arrive via the portal stones, and experience different lives.  Ingtar is shown getting sick, and stating he walks in the Light.  For many reasons, Great Hunt remains my favorite WoT book thus far, but the redemption of Ingtar is a powerful and emotional scene that really stands out.

@Far Shain Mael

For me, without question, it is the scene in KoD ch 20, 'The Golden Crane', where Nynaeve visits Weilin Aldragoran, reminds him that he wears the hadori, and asks 'Will my husband ride alone'. WA's reaction to that still gives me goose pimples thinking of it.

I really had to put the book down and take a break.That whole section with Nynaeve was great.

Ingtars' last stand was powerful as was Rands reaction.

Every single one already mentioned, as WoT stirs my emotions like pretty much no other series, to be honest, but I'd like to add this: when I was re-reading the early books recently, I was struck by how sweet and loving the relationship between Rand and Egwene was. I'm not saying it was perfect, but there are so many touching moments between them in Eye of the World and when they think about each other in The Great Hunt. I found myself going "why couldn't they stay together?" a couple times (even though I like Rand's current relationships just fine).

One that stands out is when they're in the Ways, when they find the remains of the Trollocs and then when they reach the closed Waygate with the Black Wind right behind them, and Rand and Egwene immediately latch onto each other for comfort.

Egwene touched Rand's arm. Her lips trembled, but she only looked at him. He put his hand on top of hers, hoping he did not look more frightened than she did. He felt it.
(Eye of the World, ch 45, pg 683)

That got to me.

For me, without question, it is the scene in KoD ch 20, 'The Golden Crane', where Nynaeve visits Weilin Aldragoran, reminds him that he wears the hadori, and asks 'Will my husband ride alone'. WA's reaction to that still gives me goose pimples thinking of it.

"How had she come by that? Under the Light, how?"

Positively the most powerful thing I have ever read in any book anywhere, and I am a voracious librivore.

Second only to that is Min's reaction to Semi's painfully accurate revelation of the depth of Rand's madness.

See the sig quote. Great moment in a series full of great moments. It gives me goosebumps every time I even think about it.

In no particular order:

Morr's death

Perrin's family, and the scene with his cousin

The wolves at Dumai's Wells - "We come"

The singing Aiel in Rand's Rhuidean vision

Perrin entering the Wolf Dream to save Faile from the hedgehog trap

Rand on Dragonmount

Hopwil during the Cleansing

Perrin "interrogating" the Shaido Aiel

1.) Ingtar's redemption by far is my number one favorite. It was very good writing and very moving.

2.)Moiraine's death and its aftermath. Especially the part where Rand says, "I will always belong to Ilyena."

3.) The swearing of the Aes Sedai. Also a powerful scene. It reminded me of just how much Aes Sedai have lost/forgotten since the breaking, and hopefully will regain if they "kneel to the forgotten sign."

4.) "Forgive me if I call this mercy as well."

5.) Last but not least, the scene in TFoH where rand is slumped in his saddle. First he makes that chilling remark about Sammael, but then he says to Sulin, "they're out there... I must find my people." When she says, "you have found your people..." it was just moving. RJ is a very good writer.

thats hard, as there is ALOT of those in WOT... ill try to name a few ones

1. the scene when they were fighting the blight off, and mat shouts in the old tongue about not fearing death. That really gave mee goosebumps.

2. when they charge the trollocs in TEOTW. When lan goes in front of them shouting FOR THE SEVEN TOWERS.

3. Rand's bonding

4. the entire Mat/tuon run

well i could go on and on, and these are not necesarily the best ive seen, but many i like already were named.

for some reason it was the one part in LoC were taim says "you must hold on" has always got me. maybe its just knowing taim and seeing the good in him

The exchange is from LoC 42 "The Black Tower"

Abruptly he realized he was leaning on the table, holding himself up with sagging knees. And muttering, "You are dead! I am alive, and you are dead!" But he had not seized saidin. And neither had Lews Therin. Shivering, he looked at Taim and was surprised to see concern on the man’s face.

"You must hold on," Taim said softly. "If sanity can be held, you must. The price is too high, if you fail."

"I won’t fail," Rand said, pushing himself upright. Lews Therin was silent. There seemed to be nothing in his head but himself. And the feel of Alanna, of course. "Have these Reds taken anyone?

"Not that I have heard." Taim was watching himcautiously, as if he expected another outburst. "Most of the students come through gateways now, and with all the people on the roads, it cannot be easy to pick out a man heading here unless he talks too freely." He paused, "They could be disposed of easily enough in any case."

Eh, I don't know that there's any good in Taim, and if there is, it certainly isn't shown here.  I think he's just worried, with good reason, that Rand could suddenly loose control and attack him.

I agree that it is one of the few moments when Taim isn't sneering and snide though.

They have caged Shadowkiller    ofc just a big fewerish chill every time i even look at the words

I like this one too.

@78WARLOCK, reply #31

and

@Impressive Bosom, reply #33

Yes!!

Love the sig quote!

PS: Pity TGS spoilers aren't allowed.. there's another spine-tingling moment right at the end. Almost the very last words of the book.

Very interesting Thread.  Many "wow" moments.  A few "touching / endearning" moments I didn't see include:

* The scene from TFoH, at the docks, after Moiraine & Lanfear go through the doorway.  When Rand holds Lan with the Power & Lan says... "She is gone".  And the conversation between Lan & Rand before Lan hops on Mandarb to take off.

*  The scene from TSR, on the slopes of Dragonmount when the wise one's tell Rand that he resembles his mother and later when they strip Aviendha of her weapons & warrior garb.

*  The death of the Green Man in the EoTW and when Loile sings the Tree Song to help the dying oak sprout that was left behind. 

All made me choke up a little!!

tPoD 28 "Crimsonthorn"

Vandene asked to be left alone with her sister for a few moments, and sat on the floor to cradle Adeleas in her arms before they were out of the door. Jaem, Vandene’s gnarled old Warder, was waiting outside with a shivering Kirstian.

Suddenly a wail burst out inside the hut, the full-throated cry of a woman mourning the loss of everything.

One of the saddest scenes in WoT; not because we really care so much about Adeleas or Vandene per se, but because we're given just a hint of the grief, to imagine the anguish that Vandene must feel. Her twin sister, her lifelong companion of 200+ years, had just been taken away forever.

It makes my eyes water.

I agree with all above, especially Ingtar's last stand (as been mentiond by almost everyone =))

One of my own personal favourites (and i dont belive this one has been mentioned yet, w00t w00t) is when Aviendha run away from rand in TFoH. That whole section touched me.

Another of those (many many) parts that touched me are Moraines story of Manetheren, the one she tells mat, Perrin and Rand.

Adams out!

I agree with all above, especially Ingtar's last stand (as been mentiond by almost everyone =))

One of my own personal favourites (and i dont belive this one has been mentioned yet, w00t w00t) is when Aviendha run away from rand in TFoH. That whole section touched me.

Another of those (many many) parts that touched me are Moraines story of Manetheren, the one she tells mat, Perrin and Rand.

Adams out!

The Far Snows definitely touched me, but not as much in the heart as in other places...

It's interesting to me that most people mention passages from books 1-6, especially 1 & 2, as their favorites.  I wonder if this should be attributed primarily to the quality of RJ's writing in these early books vs. later ones, or to the the flush of new love, so to speak, of readers entering a new world with new characters?

If someone were to start the series at tSR, and then later read 1-3 as prequels, would they have the same reverence for them (tEotW, tGH, tDR) was most of us do, or would they be angry at how weak and naive the characters are, and how inconsistent the magic and metaphysics of the world is?

I agree with just about everything listed so far, and one more. When Egwene is freed from the a'dam in Falme, the strong reaction that she has gets me every time.

Have to agree! Cant belive i missed to mention that... Oh well

Archived