DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Are Your Fave ... ''Endearing/Sweet/Touching'' ... Moments Of The Series?

The Fisher King

These are all Pre-TGS /// My Top Ten are:

1 Thom and Moiraine's conversation in TSR when she touches his knee.

2 Nynaeve telling Mat ''You take care of yourself, Matrim Cauthon, you hear me?!''

(I am having to go by memory on that quote, lol)

3 ANY time that Lan calls Nynnaeve ''Mashiara'' ... I know, I know...I am a sap, bbut it gets me every time, lol.

4 ''Oh, Light, Ingar; I think wanting to is enough.''

5 Nynaeve's reaction, in KOD, when she realizes that she can't fix Rand's hand ''like it was.''

6 ''You will do well, Rand.''

7 Egwene and Siuan's talk in TPOD about the Three Oaths. I think maybe it was Siuan's passionate and emotinal defense of their validity that really touched me.

8 In TDR, Mat telling that one bad guy something to the effect that he better HOPE that the 3 girls hadn't been harmed yet. (Wish I remembered thosone better :(  )

9 Taim softly telling Rand ''You have to hold on'' that one time in LOC...its creepy and chilling...and despite Taim's obviously rather 'murky' motivations...sorta touching still, imo.

10 I reeeeally can't remember this one well, but somewhere Thom is thinking about Dena and Moiraine and beating himself up over the fact that he'd ''left TWO women he cared about to die.''

Fish

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Fedwyn Morr's death

2) Olver's Introduction

3) Perrin looking through TAR for Faile with Hopper in TDR

4) Rand seeing the memories of his ancestors

5) Ingtar's final stand

6) Aviendha and Elayne becoming sisters

7) Moriane and Lan's secene at the end of New Spring

I have to say my favorite overall has to be when Rand read Moiraines letter, and he just couldnt mourn. The way RJ portrayed how suddenly alone Rand felt as the Dragon Reborn without Moiraine felt very realistic. When Aviendha made him realise he was crying I felt a sense of relief myself, and thats why it takes first place.

I think Nynaeves relationship with Mat brings a few of these moments around. Like when shes scorning him in her head and is the first to defend him if she hears someone else slate him who doesnt know him as well as she does... even if she was scorning him at the same time! Its hilarious. Nynaeve is awesome.

Olvers introduction definitely.

When Moiraine tries to supress the glimmer of hope she had before tackling Lanfear.

For me, without question, it is the scene in KoD ch 20, 'The Golden Crane', where Nynaeve visits Weilin Aldragoran, reminds him that he wears the hadori, and asks 'Will my husband ride alone'. WA's reaction to that still gives me goose pimples thinking of it.

"How had she come by that? Under the Light, how?"

Positively the most powerful thing I have ever read in any book anywhere, and I am a voracious librivore.

Second only to that is Min's reaction to Semi's painfully accurate revelation of the depth of Rand's madness.

My favourite, most touching moment, is always and forever this one.

They have caged Shadowkiller, he thought at last. That was what the wolves called Rand, but he had no idea whether they considered Rand important. The shock filling his mind was answer enough, but howls filled the night, near and far, howls filled with anger and fear. In the camp horses whinnied fearfully, stamping their hooves as they shied against the picket ropes. Men ran to calm them, and others to peer into the darkness as if expecting a huge pack to come after the mounts.

We come, Half Tail replied at last. Only that, and then others answered, packs Perrin had spoken to and packs that had listened silently to the two-legs who could speak as the wolves did. We come. No more.

I agree with many of those already mentioned as well:

Fedwyn Morr's death

Ingtar's final stand, especially Rand's final Borderland farewell to Ingtar

The whole scene when Rand read Moiraines letter and Sulin (not Aviendah :) )comes in to talk to him.

But I think my favorites of the whole series are in TEOTW after Rand and Mat escape from that Inn at the Four Kings ,where they are basically taking care of each other, and TSR when Rand and Mat go into Rhuidean. 

TEOTW Ch.33

Mat seemed to sense his thought..."Rand," he said, "you won't leave me, will you? If I can't keep up?" His voice quavered.

"I won't leave you." Rand tightened his grip on his friend's hand. "I won't leave you no matter what"

...Suddenly he realized Mat was twisting and moaning in his sleep. He shook him, and Mat came awake with a whimper.

"My eyes! Oh light, my eyes! He took my eyes!"

"Rand held him close, cradling him against his chest as if he were a baby.  "Your all right, Mat. You're all right. He can't hurt us. We won't let him." He could feel Mat shaking, sobbing into his coat. "He can't hurt us," he whispered..."

This is the only time Mat actually wept that I can recall, I wonder if we'll see him cry (actually shed tears) before the series is over?

As for TSR, I thought the whole first part in ch 24(before Rand goes through the columns and Mat through the doorway) was endearing especially Mat telling Rand to be careful.

I love the brother-like relationship these two have (I feel it's more so with these two then w/Perrin even), I find their whole relationship to be ''Endearing/Sweet/Touching''. Rand is so patient with Mat to a point and you can tell Mat cares a lot about Rand even though he can't come out and say it and I think Rand knows it.

• 3 weeks later...

1 - When Perrin goes home to the two rivers to find out all of his family are dead and tries to not think about it until Faile shouts she has had enough and makes him think about it and then holds him while he cries.

2 - Also where Min, Aviendha, and Elayne all bond Rand

I know there are more than these to add but my mind has decided to go blank on me

4) Rand seeing the memories of his ancestors

I keep seeing this around, but when did this actually happen?

When Rand went through the ter'angreal in Rhuidean.

At the Eye...both Someshta growing one last tree and Loial singing to it.

Loial putting the flower Erith (is that her name?) gave him in his book.

Perrin & Faile after the battle in the Two Rivers.

For some reason, all I can think of is when Perrin and Egwene first meet Elyas in tEotW, and they are running between the ravens to safety.. And Perrin keeps thinking of how he would make sure Egwene wouldn't be tortured... It was sad and depressing, but also touched my heart.

In LoC, when Nynaeve Healed the severings of Siuan and Leane.  Their reactions bring tears to my eyes, even years after reading it for the first time. Even as a man, I can imagine the relief and gratitude they must have felt.

Something I found very interesting in my latest re-read that never really hit me before was this.  When Perrin and Egwene get rescued from the WhiteCloaks in tEofW.  Perrin and Lan are discussing how he has become a Wolf Brother.  Lan says that he knows Elyas Machera and basically promises that he will not say anything to anyone about it. 

Don't know why I never noticed it before, but what an excellent 3 pages of reading.

I agree with most of the above...lots of good touching moments. I'm basically a sucker for the Lan/Nynaeve thread...I don't know why but I love that relationship.

Mine are repeats, but I'll still list them!

1. Nynaeve breaking through her block and Lan saving her

2. Ingtar's redemption (still makes my throat catch)

3. Rand telling Mat he won't leave him behind, no matter what, in tEotW

There are many more that touched me...but those stick with me even through all my re-reads. I'm in the middle of a re-read now; maybe I'll have more to add to the list after I get finished!

I agree with each and every one of these. I'm getting goosebumps remembering some of them. I'll add one and then the one that tears my eyes every time.

1. TGH-after rand takes them through portal stone and they lose four months, and live several lives. when mat runs up and grabs him trying to convince him he would never give him up, never.

2.I cry every time I read...

""Ten thousand Aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there, staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines and singing. I am told he listened to the last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him. And then Tzora burned...""

just remembered another...

rand trying to bring the girl back to life in the stone, thinking he should be able to do anything with callandor, fresh blood squirting from wounds and her like a puppet

I agree with each and every one of these. I'm getting goosebumps remembering some of them. I'll add one and then the one that tears my eyes every time.

1. TGH-after rand takes them through portal stone and they lose four months, and live several lives. when mat runs up and grabs him trying to convince him he would never give him up, never.

I totally forgot about this, great scene! It wasn't just Mat's reaction, it was also Perrin's and Ingtar's that got me as well.  Stuff like that makes TGH my favorite Wheel book thus far.

-ingtars redemption

-when Rand reaches Emonds Field after the trolloc attack, just the shear numbness

-when Lan leads Rand to the Amyrlin, giving him advice the whole way

-Rand's attempted resurrection of the little girl

- "A Cupful of Sleep"

-When Morgase 'dies' and rand goes to get revenge

theres probably a ton I am forgetting

Archived