DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

NOOOOOOO!!!!! Why George Lucas? WHY?

Krakalakachkn

As Avatar continues to reign over the box office, a common argument has been that James Cameron's movie changed the way that audiences experience movies in 3D. There has been a lot of speculation that we'll not only see more films made in 3D, but that possibly some older "eye candy" movies could get the treatment, too. Now, George Lucas has confirmed that for years he has been looking into bringing the two Star Wars trilogies back to theaters in 3D form, and that Avatar has shown him that the time may be right for him to begin the process. Lucas says "we've been looking for years and years of trying to take Star Wars and put it in 3D, but [the] technology hasn't been there. We've been struggling with it, but I think is the new impetus to make that happen." If Lucas goes through with plans to return all six Star Wars to theaters in the 3D format, it will be the second time that the original trilogy has been rereleased, following the controversial "Special Edition" versions from 1997, and the first for the prequel trilogy.

• 7 months later...

:angry:

George Lucas is reportedly set on re-releasing all six films in the "Star Wars" franchise with new 3D conversions in 2012 says the trades.

Fox will release the 3D versions starting early 2012 with "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace". Each subsequent film will be released annually around the same date over consecutive years.

Lucasfilm is taking at least a full year with each conversion and will use several higher-end conversion houses to work on the project. The reason for the 2012 release of the first film is that Lucas is waiting for enough 3D screens being available to create a 'huge event'.

Lucas purportedly is lining up the re-releases as a lead-in to the ultimate home-viewing experience as home 3D TV technology is being perfected in coming years. This won't affect Lucas' plans for a comprehensive 2D Blu-ray Disc set of the six films next year.

I hope to God that the 3D conversion is done well. I hope, hope, hope.

oh, epic fail. i'm hating on all these 3D films these days..Avatar was the only one that has done it right....but even then it was still a bit gimickey and cheesey...unobtanium... :huh:

Don't muck up Star Wars! I love those films! they were made in the past and lets keep it in the past!

I really didn't enjoy the 3D job done on Avatar. The only scene I found worth it was the scene where the seeds of the great tree float all around the main guy and his girl. The best 3D movie I've seen is Up, and I wasn't that impressed with it either. 3D should have died out in the 50's.

3Difying Star Wars is definitely going to make a huge amount of money for Lucas and the rest of the actors (I think Harrison Ford gets 20% of the gross, if his contract doesn't explicitly state the first release). However, I don't think it will add anything to the films that the originals don't already have.

• 3 weeks later...

On a related note....WHY?!?!?!?!?

Just a month after it was announced that all six "Star Wars" films would be needlessly converted into 3D for theatrical re-releases, Blue Sky reports that according to their sources all four films in the "Indiana Jones" saga will undergo the same treatment.

Little is known at present, though an official announcement is expected sometime next month. Lucasfilm understandably hasn't confirmed the report.

The good news is that the films will likely be re-released in order. Whereas you have to wade through the three terrible prequels of the 'Wars' re-releases before we get to the original trilogy, 'Indy' kicks off with its best foot forward with "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Just a month after it was announced that all six "Star Wars" films would be needlessly converted into 3D for theatrical re-releases, Blue Sky reports that according to their sources all four films in the "Indiana Jones" saga will undergo the same treatment.

Little is known at present, though an official announcement is expected sometime next month. Lucasfilm understandably hasn't confirmed the report.

The good news is that the films will likely be re-released in order. Whereas you have to wade through the three terrible prequels of the 'Wars' re-releases before we get to the original trilogy, 'Indy' kicks off with its best foot forward with "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

I'll see them even though I hate the idea. Lol. Well all the Star Wars. As for Indie, probably only "The Last Crusade". Always been my fav.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll see them even though I hate the idea. Lol. Well all the Star Wars. As for Indie, probably only "The Last Crusade". Always been my fav.

When the Ark is opened would look cool. And think of those snakes in 3D.

• 1 month later...

Star Wars finds its way to Blu-Ray

Lucasfilm has officially announced the Blu-ray release of the entire "Star Wars" film series in September. Three distinct sets are being made to meet the needs of every fan:

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (9-Discs w/ all six films)

Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy (3-Discs w/ Episodes I-III)

Star Wars: Original Trilogy (3-Discs w/ Episodes IV-VI)

All of them will be issued with the highest quality possible picture and audio presentation. The 'Complete Saga' set includes three additional discs with more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

I'm going to start saving.

• 1 month later...

With the "Star Wars" saga being remastered for 3D, Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox today officially announced a February 10th 2012 theatrical release date for the first effort of the batch - "Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace".

Those hoping to see "The Empire Strikes Back" on the big screen in 3D will have to wait until around 2016 it would seem as it's expected only one film a year will be churned out.

Until then we'll have to be content with the upcoming Blu-ray release of all six films on September 27th.

• 4 weeks later...

More Star Wars 3D news

Prime Focus, the company behind the rushed conversion job on "Clash of the Titans" and the better but not exactly issue-free conversion of "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", is confirmed to be handling the 2D-to-3D conversion of "Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace" says The Hollywood Reporter.

In an official statement, George Lucas says “It was incredibly important to me that we have the technology, the resources and the time to do this right, I’m very happy with the results I’ve been seeing on Episode I.”

ILM visual effects supervisor and Academy Award winner John Knoll is supervising and says that there shouldn't be issues like with the aforementioned conversions as the company is being patient and meticulous - "Getting really good results from stereo conversion requires a lot of attention to detail, and it is imperative that you take the time to get it right – and that’s just what we’re doing."

Knoll adds that the conversion won't be too obvious. "George’s vision has been to add dimension to the film in subtle ways. This isn’t a novelty conversion, with things jumping out at the audience; our goal has been to enhance the classic Star Wars theatrical experience, utilizing the latest cinematic tools and techniques" says Knoll.

Archived