DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you do?

Karana Majin

Guest Karana Majin

I figured we had a multi-multi-page thread about just where people are from, so it might be interesting to see what people do. (And disprove my theory you all are a bunch of computer admin geeks...)

So, I'll start. I teach high school science, as of late, physics and earth science. When you teach high school, nothing can scare you. (Not to mention I am in an urban environment with lots of gang problems...)

Who's next?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Network Architect and Consultant. Most recently, my focus has been on network security (VPNs, network access control and end-point integrity). I also teach a few networking classes for a division of HP.

Does that make me a computer admin geek? I don't actually manage anyone's computers, I just make sure they can all talk to each other and then walk away...

Guest Karana Majin

As I suspected... *nods* I'll keep my eye on this and do some statistical analysis when I feel like it.

Raena, I teach physics! Do you like it so far? I never majored in it, I have a master's degree in engineering, of all things, so I know the theories of newtonian physics. Not much about modern, though.

And Dude, I swear, I never know whether to take you seriously or not!

I teach middle school social studies at a K-7 charter school in Georgia. We are the ONLY public school in the US that requires Arabic as a second language. Every kid at my school from kindergarten on up, is in Arabic for 40 minutes per day.

those are tough degrees to have though. interesting fields, for sure, but it's hard to find entry-level jobs that are based on those fields. they're teaching gateways for the most part, i guess. sort of (but not exactly) like english and philosophy.

the number of english and philosophy factories around has dropped drastically in latter days. 8)

Tell me about it. I had no interest in going to Law School or getting my teaching certificate right out of college so my options were rather limited.

I ended up finding a job in QA at Kodak and taught myself networking over about a 2 year period. Then I went out looking for someone to give me a chance, that was 8 years ago and I still love my job...

Raena, I teach physics! Do you like it so far? I never majored in it, I have a master's degree in engineering, of all things, so I know the theories of newtonian physics. Not much about modern, though.

Yes, I like it very much! So far it's mostly been newtonian physics, and a little modern. I like modern more, though.

My goal is to be a medical physicist, so later on I'm going to take lots of courses in radiation physics.

Archived