DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

"My name is Nynaeve ti al'Mera Mandragoran.

The message I want to send is this:

My husband rides from World's End toward Tarwin's Gap,

toward Tarmon Gai'don.

Will he ride alone?"

Almost! I wanted to read about the scene itself as well... Suppose there's no pleasing some people... Thanks so much tho!

Revealed I don't know, but highly suspected that the use of the Bowl of the Wind was the cause of the diffuculties with the Power. ANd it wasn't only saidin, but also saidar. Look at Galgan's PoV in the chapter. The Damane were terrified because of this. The sul'dam had to keep soothing them.

distinctly different location? It's not as if it was on the other side of the Aryth Ocean^^ the Bowl of Winds influenced the weather of the whole World. The backslahsh had to be quite extended too. Both happened around Ebou Dar. There could be what... 100 leagues between both location?

Can anyone tell me if it was ever revealed what made handling sadin near Ebou'dar difficult in a Path of Daggers? Thanks guys.

Yeah. Essentially what caused it was that the Bowl of the Winds was only designed to control the weather over a small area. The Windfinders used their superior knowledge of weaving the winds to push it to fix the weather for the entire world, which overstressed the ter'angreal, causing the affect. The same thing also occured along the 'spokes' that radiated out from Ebou Dar.

This was confirmed by RJ.

Can anyone tell me if it was ever revealed what made handling sadin near Ebou'dar difficult in a Path of Daggers? Thanks guys.

Yeah. Essentially what caused it was that the Bowl of the Winds was only designed to control the weather over a small area. The Windfinders used their superior knowledge of weaving the winds to push it to fix the weather for the entire world, which overstressed the ter'angreal, causing the affect. The same thing also occured along the 'spokes' that radiated out from Ebou Dar.

??? That was confirmed by RJ? I'll take your word for it Luckers, but I was always convinced it was because of how Aviendha dismantled that Waygate, and the subsequent explosion and 'Aes Sedai weapon'. Guess I was wrong.

??? That was confirmed by RJ? I'll take your word for it Luckers, but I was always convinced it was because of how Aviendha dismantled that Waygate, and the subsequent explosion and 'Aes Sedai weapon'. Guess I was wrong.

I'm assuming you meant Elayne's botched unravelling of the Waygate at the Ebou Dar farm? Aviendha unpicked her Waygate job at the Tarasin Palace without any problems.

Luckers is right - quite apart from RJ's confirmation, the internal evidence shows that the cause is the Bowl. Saidin was also behaving strangely close to Ebou Dar - Dashiva had a confrontation with Rand about that, with a clear description. There is no way that either Aviendha or Elayne's actions would have affected saidin. OTOH, the description of how the Bowl worked shows that it did draw saidin.

The Path of Daggers book tour 21 November 1998, VA - John Novak reporting

The Bowl: Someone asked him whether, if men had helped the Aes Sedai and Windfinders and Kin channel through the Bowl, the One Power would still have been screwed up. His implicit assumption was that the Bowl screwed things up....He went into a relatively detailed explanation to the effect that the Bowl was stressed far, far beyond its original design parameters because of the advanced knowledge of the Windfinders. It was affecting a global pattern, when it was designed for only a small region. Men helping would not have changed anything, and the effects linger most strongly near Ebou Dar, but also along the "spokes" which radiated from that place.

I thought I had typed this before but I can't find it anymore, and I didn't read the answer.

I was reading about the various Ajahs, and wondered...Mesaana mentions the "ajah" when she's discussing with Alviarin. What was the purpose of the original "ajah"? and did it end up splitting into the seven Ajahs that we have now? I just remember that when Mesaana said it, "ajah" was spelled with a lowercase "a" and now we have the seven Ajahs with an uppercase "A".

Just curious.

hey i just had a crazy thought and i figured id throw it out there.

could rand hearing lews therin's voice be to him what the dice are to matt? like a "warning" of something to come?

No, they're different. Unless you think Mat's soul was previously several sets of dice.

could rand hearing lews therin's voice be to him what the dice are to matt? like a "warning" of something to come?

No, they're different. Unless you think Mat's soul was previously several sets of dice.

hmm idk. it just seemed like the voice disappears for a while hear and there. kinda like the dice. i realize that the voice actually seems to be lews therin, but it seems that maybe its also a form of that. the 'warning' seems to take the characteristics of things that the person relates to. mat-dice or gambling. nynaeve- the weather. rand- his reborn soul... just some ideas but idk im not too worried about it.

but i do have another question thats been bothering me-

how did the elefin or alefin (sp?) harvest those other memories from the generals that they stuff into mat if the doorways were basically inaccessible. i mean the one in tear i realize has had a loose "guard" on it, but the one in rhuidean was on virtual lock down.

Edited by nrm5021

hmm idk. it just seemed like the voice disappears for a while hear and there. kinda like the dice. i realize that the voice actually seems to be lews therin, but it seems that maybe its also a form of that. the 'warning' seems to take the characteristics of things that the person relates to. mat-dice or gambling. nynaeve- the weather. rand- his reborn soul... just some ideas but idk im not too worried about it.

but i do have another question thats been bothering me-

how did the elefin or alefin (sp?) harvest those other memories from the generals that they stuff into mat if the doorways were basically inaccessible. i mean the one in tear i realize has had a loose "guard" on it, but the one in rhuidean was on virtual lock down.

The dice-LTT conjecture is a theory - maybe you should post it in a new thread.

About the Finns, RJ said that in earlier times, adventurers had regularly wandered into the Tower of Ghenjei, which was better-known.

the 'warning' seems to take the characteristics of things that the person relates to. mat-dice or gambling. nynaeve- the weather. rand- his reborn soul... just some ideas but idk im not too worried about it.

That's a very interesting comparison but I think it's much more likely to be a coincidence than anything particularly meaningful.

It is interesting. We indeed see different form of warning from LTT. That goes from "I love this guy" to "I have to kill Demandred", through "kill them before they do". And Mat's and Nynaeve's warning seemed to be increasing as the book goes. Mat hear the rattling more and more, and louder, whereas Nyn feels a chaotic storm under a blue sky. Or feels a blue sky under a dockmaster's sky.

I don't think the cover of ToM counts as spoiler, does it?

Can we assume / has it been assumed that the picture shows that it's Noal that accompanies Matt & Thom?

Secondly.... skimming through TGS, and at one point, Verin's Tomas is described as stout. I thought he was skinny and tough, like an old root.