DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blade of Light, Three Become One. (Full Spoilers).

Luckers

The problem is that Rand/Mat/Perrin using their ta'veren power to bend the pattern and fight the dark one (not sure what the exact theory is there) doesn't involve the blade of light.

It's been suggested eleswhere that the statement 'He shall hold a blade of light in his hands, and the three shall be one' is actually two separate prophecies. For one thing, Rand currently has only one hand..

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All.  New poster here. 

I believe also that Rand, Mat and Perrin will become one.  I know that RJ has done a lot of foreshadowing in previous books and I believe it has happened here.  When Elayne bonded Rand and included Avi and Min in that link it showed  Rand how to work a 3 way link which involves non channelers.  I believe that he will link with Mat and Perrin to use their combined taveren luck against the DO.

The problem I have with the three become one is linking theory is that it implies brute strength in the OP is needed to defeat the DO (or win the LB). While it would obviously help in winning battles, something tells me the war must be won a different way. Otherwise, the Choedan Kal would’ve served far better than Callandor could.

So I propose the following loony theory:

Callandor isn’t flawed, it’s just not being used correctly. As it’s crystalline structure implies, it’s actually an amplifier so that it not only amplifies Saidin, it also amplifies Ta’veren-ness. The three that become one is indeed Rand, Mat and Perrin so what they have to do is get to the Bore and focus themselves through Callandor. Their combined and amplified Ta’veren-ness will make Callandor so bright that even people who can’t see Ta’veren-ness will see this blade shining. The Wheel will then be able to act through them and use individual souls (threads) to re-weave the hole in itself, thus undoing the Bore. This will satisfy the "shining blade" and "three become one" prophecies and Min’s "lights being sucked into a hole" viewing. And possibly also Matt’s "give up half the light of the world to save the world".

Callandor isn’t flawed, it’s just not being used correctly. As it’s crystalline structure implies, it’s actually an amplifier so that it not only amplifies Saidin, it also amplifies Ta’veren-ness. The three that become one is indeed Rand, Mat and Perrin so what they have to do is get to the Bore and focus themselves through Callandor. Their combined and amplified Ta’veren-ness will make Callandor so bright that even people who can’t see Ta’veren-ness will see this blade shining. The Wheel will then be able to act through them and use individual souls (threads) to re-weave the hole in itself, thus undoing the Bore. This will satisfy the "shining blade" and "three become one" prophecies and Min’s "lights being sucked into a hole" viewing. And possibly also Matt’s "give up half the light of the world to save the world".

I am with you about Callandor. Although Callandor is a sa'angreal, I would love it if there is more to it than that. Maybe the people who made it were attempting to create something that could help "heal" the Pattern. Rand, Mat, and Perrin's ta'veren natures are exactly what is needed to heal the Pattern, in my opinion, not channeling or Aes Sedai or anything else.

My own twist to your theory is this:

Rand is needed to break the seals (clear the rubble) and to hold off the Dark One while the Pattern heals itself. The Pattern is affected by ta'veren - that's what they are there for, after all, because the Pattern needs them - and for the hole in the Pattern to truly heal, the seals have to be removed and the three ta'veren must be at the site of the hole for it to heal. That's pretty much what you said, but I think Rand's purpose is two-fold. He is also needed to hold the Dark One back but we already know that channeling at the Bore is a big no-no...if he channels saidin there, saidin could get tainted again. And having female channelers around won't help either - RJ himself said that, although what LTT did was necessary that if the women had been there saidar would have been tainted as well. I think it's quite possible - and probable - that either Egwene pulls a Latra Posae and refuses to help Rand unless she does everything her way, or Rand will realize the risk through his memories (his previous life as LTT) and just grab Mat and Perrin and go alone without telling anyone what he's doing (to avoid the bitching, moaning, and griping of all the females who think they have to be the ones in control of everything). And, perhaps, that is where Alivia helping Rand "die" comes into play (he tells her that he needs everyone to think he's dead or he'll never be able to do what he has to do), but that's a whole other discussion, I suppose.

So that leaves one question: how does Rand hold the Dark One back? Either the True Power (use the DO's own weapon to block him) or something to do with Fain and his taint (since the Shadar Logoth taint repels the Shadow's taint). It could be something as stupid as his blood doing it - since his dual wounds are constantly battling each other, if his blood spills the SL taint could somehow interact with Shayol Ghul and keep the DO occupied until the presence of the three ta'veren causes the Bore to mend or it could be something more complex (or amusing, like chucking Fain into Pit of Doom and sitting back to watch the fireworks :P). Either way, that's Rand's job...to keep the DO back. I think hell will break loose everywhere else, which is why Mat was needed to gather an army, the WT needed to be mended, and the Seanchan will have to stop fighting everyone who refuses to become a slave to the empire. It's their job to keep the rest of the world from burning while Rand, Mat, and Perrin work their magic at SG.

So yeah, I can totally see Callandor having a completely different purpose and I think it would make more sense if it combined the three ta'veren's ta'veren powers to heal the Pattern. I know that begs the question, why didn't the Pattern just make Rand a stronger ta'veren? The answer is easy, in my opinion. Could you imagine someone who had the ta'veren strength of Rand, Mat, and Perrin put together? It would have been too strong that way, plus ta'veren or not he could only be in one place at a time and only able to effect one group at a time. Splitting the ta'veren power three ways, but still making them very strongly ta'veren, ensures that they can split up and don what they need to do, then come back together when the Pattern needs it.

This, I think, would be a lot better than having Rand simply be a tool/sacrifice for Egwene or some other twitty wench to use so *she* can lock the DO out of the Pattern and get to play world hero. Rand is the chosen one and he needs to do what needs to be done, not let someone put a collar on him and kill him. That would be lame and stupid. Furthermore, Mat and Perrin are both ta'veren, which makes them far more important than any Aes Sedai - no matter what Cadsuane or Egwene believes - and it would make sense to me if the only ones who had a hand in sealing the DO out of the Pattern again were the three boys. Everyone else should be there to keep the rest of the world from burning while the boys do what has to be done.

I am with you about Callandor. Although Callandor is a sa'angreal, I would love it if there is more to it than that. Maybe the people who made it were attempting to create something that could help "heal" the Pattern. Rand, Mat, and Perrin's ta'veren natures are exactly what is needed to heal the Pattern, in my opinion, not channeling or Aes Sedai or anything else.

My own twist to your theory is this:

Rand is needed to break the seals (clear the rubble) and to hold off the Dark One while the Pattern heals itself. The Pattern is affected by ta'veren - that's what they are there for, after all, because the Pattern needs them - and for the hole in the Pattern to truly heal, the seals have to be removed and the three ta'veren must be at the site of the hole for it to heal. That's pretty much what you said, but I think Rand's purpose is two-fold. He is also needed to hold the Dark One back but we already know that channeling at the Bore is a big no-no...if he channels saidin there, saidin could get tainted again. And having female channelers around won't help either - RJ himself said that, although what LTT did was necessary that if the women had been there saidar would have been tainted as well. I think it's quite possible - and probable - that either Egwene pulls a Latra Posae and refuses to help Rand unless she does everything her way, or Rand will realize the risk through his memories (his previous life as LTT) and just grab Mat and Perrin and go alone without telling anyone what he's doing (to avoid the bitching, moaning, and griping of all the females who think they have to be the ones in control of everything). And, perhaps, that is where Alivia helping Rand "die" comes into play (he tells her that he needs everyone to think he's dead or he'll never be able to do what he has to do), but that's a whole other discussion, I suppose.

So that leaves one question: how does Rand hold the Dark One back? Either the True Power (use the DO's own weapon to block him) or something to do with Fain and his taint (since the Shadar Logoth taint repels the Shadow's taint). It could be something as stupid as his blood doing it - since his dual wounds are constantly battling each other, if his blood spills the SL taint could somehow interact with Shayol Ghul and keep the DO occupied until the presence of the three ta'veren causes the Bore to mend or it could be something more complex (or amusing, like chucking Fain into Pit of Doom and sitting back to watch the fireworks :P). Either way, that's Rand's job...to keep the DO back. I think hell will break loose everywhere else, which is why Mat was needed to gather an army, the WT needed to be mended, and the Seanchan will have to stop fighting everyone who refuses to become a slave to the empire. It's their job to keep the rest of the world from burning while Rand, Mat, and Perrin work their magic at SG.

So yeah, I can totally see Callandor having a completely different purpose and I think it would make more sense if it combined the three ta'veren's ta'veren powers to heal the Pattern. I know that begs the question, why didn't the Pattern just make Rand a stronger ta'veren? The answer is easy, in my opinion. Could you imagine someone who had the ta'veren strength of Rand, Mat, and Perrin put together? It would have been too strong that way, plus ta'veren or not he could only be in one place at a time and only able to effect one group at a time. Splitting the ta'veren power three ways, but still making them very strongly ta'veren, ensures that they can split up and don what they need to do, then come back together when the Pattern needs it.

This, I think, would be a lot better than having Rand simply be a tool/sacrifice for Egwene or some other twitty wench to use so *she* can lock the DO out of the Pattern and get to play world hero. Rand is the chosen one and he needs to do what needs to be done, not let someone put a collar on him and kill him. That would be lame and stupid. Furthermore, Mat and Perrin are both ta'veren, which makes them far more important than any Aes Sedai - no matter what Cadsuane or Egwene believes - and it would make sense to me if the only ones who had a hand in sealing the DO out of the Pattern again were the three boys. Everyone else should be there to keep the rest of the world from burning while the boys do what has to be done.

Callandor wasn't made for anything other than a sa angreal, and it wasnt meant to be flawed, jordan answered this in a q&a

Callandor wasn't made for anything other than a sa angreal, and it wasnt meant to be flawed, jordan answered this in a q&a

And is there anything to say that Callandor didn't "accidentally" become something more than what was intended? I know RJ said it wasn't meant to be flawed, but who is to say that there is not something else about it that we don't know?

I know all the Rand-hating-Egwene/Cadsuane/Aes Sedai-worshiping folks just love the idea that Rand has to submit to women to "win" this war, but I find the idea to be flat out stupid. He did submit to Moiraine in the beginning and it was shown, even from Moiraine's POV, to be a mistake. Moiraine is not the chosen one. Egwene is not the chosen one. Cadsuane is not the chosen one. Rand is the chosen one and only he can do what must be done, so said the Creator. I find it difficult to believe (and quite retarded) if "what only he can do" is to become a lapdog for women who want control. I find it ludicrous that the chosen one's purpose is to be used like Callandor itself for people who want power and control to use to defeat the Shadow. That does not make Rand the chosen one, it makes the Aes Sedai the chosen ones. And if that is where RJ was headed with this story (I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was) then I'm burning my books.

Robert Jordan didn't realize he was writing Rand as a lapdog for various women. Remember, in criticism he says the women are "strong" not cruel or petty. He also didn't realize he was leaning towards matriarchy; he claimed the world was supposed to be one of real gender equality. So there's no way these themes will be vindicated in the ending. RJ wasn't purposely including them in the first place. It's more of a misunderstanding.

I'm waaay too lazy to read this whole thread (read the first few pages, and the last few), but hasn't there been any discussion about Aviendha's dagger ter'angreal being the blade of light?  It hides one from the Shadow, so that seems like a good thing to call it.  If Rand is going to sneak up on Shayol Ghul, it would be a good thing to have.

I can still see the 3=1 being Rand's women (they become one in a way before placing the bond on him, and those veins of gold are very important...they will have to bond him to save him from death when he's ripped out of Tel'aran'rhiod, and we know they have body-watching duty).  I could also see it being the three ta'veren becoming one via the color connection.

I think Rand will throw Callandor in the Far Madding lake.  I bet it's deep enough that the Power would be required to retrieve it.  And of course you can't use the Power there (unless you have a Well, like Nynaeve The Lady of the Lake).

Regarding the RJ comment that Callandor was not meant to be flawed.  The comment would be consistent if the AS that made Callandor intended it to be properly buffered, but the Pattern knew it needed to be flawed.  We already know that prophecy is subject to human interpretation that often misses the actual mark, so it is possible that those AS knew that Callandor, a sa'angreal, would be needed, but failed to understand that it was needed in a different manner.

As to that different manner, perhaps the answer to avoiding the taint is for Rand to create a well, much like the eye of the world and focus all of that power through Callandor to push back the DO.  The amount of power would be greater than he could hold with a properly buffered sa'angreal, and by using a well he could avoid having the backlash hit either saidin or saidar.  Given that the lack of buffer also magnifies the taint, the DO's backlash would still hit Rand, probably harder than before.  In that case, perhaps Alivia's purpose is literally to help Rand die and thus avoid killing those he loves.  I think sane Rand (or whatever he is right now) would prefer to have Alivia kill him than to hurt anyone, and therefore it would be "helping him die" rather than killing him.

As to the three become one portion, no specific ideas other than to point out the preponderance of 3's in the series make it likely the term applies to more than one set of three.

It's pretty safe to think the "three becoming one" will be Rand, Mat and Perrin somehow ( need RJ's imagination here).  Is it not curious how there's ALWAYS foreshadowing this but everytime it happens they make it stop because they're "always" too busy thinking/doing something else at the time.  It's hinted at all throughout the books since book 8 on or so.  Whats going to happen when they all hold each other in their thoughts/head?  Should be interesting the possibilities.

All these theories are great!  I'm new to the series and have read all the books over the last 7 months... but hopefully I don't prove myself too much the fool.

Here we go...

Before the fusion of RaT and LTT into one, wasn't LTT always complaining that 'they' thought his plan was too dangerous?  Could it be, to back up the 3 powers as 1 theory, that using the TP to battle the DO as the other 2 powers are used to recreate the DO's prison was LTT's plan all along?

If so, then will it actually seal the DO and end the eternal battle?

Or am I just way out in left field...  Hey, its a win-win solution, but it would be nice!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My take on the blade of light and 3 becoming one is this:

Rand must give up control to two channelling women to use Callandor in order to defeat the Dark One.  In so doing he will die and die for love, not duty. 

Here's why:

1) Callandor's importance - p. 730-731 of TGS: "Taking the Sword That Cannot Be Touched was one of the first major prophecies that he had fulfilled.  But was his taking of Callandor a meaningless sign, or was it a step?  Everyone knew the prophecy, but few asked a question that should have been inevitable.  Why?  Why did Rand have to take up the sword?  Was it to be used in the Last Battle?"

Why did RJ and BS mention this as a part of Rand's struggle?  It's during this portion of TGS where we see why Rand is struggling so much.

2) Rand's struggle tied to Callandor - Just as Gawyn struggled with his reasons for soldiering (as Bryne did before him and Tam as well), so Rand is struggling with the question of why?  But why include Callandor as a part of this turmoil unless it is important not just for the Last Battle, but in answering the why question as well.  During this struggle Rand has tried to become hard and he failed at this (p.756).  This was leading him to becoming a monster.  It was this hardness the DO used to subtly steer Rand toward the conclusion that all was meaningless, "NONE OF THIS MATTERS" (p.757).  This was the same conclusion Elan/Ishy/Moridin came to (p. 237-238) and Rand's same conclusion about Callandor (see above). 

Everything is meaningless to Rand if life is all about duty and about being strong and all about being controlled. 

3) This was the DO's plan - This was also the subtlety Verin was referring to I believe (p.600).  The DO wanted Rand to see all of life as meaningless and destroy the world as a result...and he nearly did (p.758).  Rand represents all of life in this series and if all of life is pre-determined and duty-bound, than it's not worth living.  This is the DO's way and it truly is not worth living as Rand has found out. 

What is worth living for?  Love (p.759).

4) The way of love is unselfish.  Love puts the needs of others above those of oneself.  It is unselfish which is the opposite of the Forsaken (p.600).  Love means laying one's life down for someone else, not out of duty, but out of love.  In order to defeat the Dark One, many believe Rand will have to seal the bore again fully.  Moridin believes that the DO cannot be slain, as we see from Moridin's reaction to Rand's suggestion (p.238).  RJ, however, has used Christianity as one of his influences and in the book of Revelation, chapter 20 verse 7, we see that Satan is bound in prison until a time in the future when the Spirit will release him to be slain (2 Thessalonians 2:6).  I think, then, that it will be possible for Rand to slay the DO, though it's a theory which is probably not as strong as the one supposing the DO being bound again.  Christianity also says that Jesus laid down His life for love, willingly accepting death as the two became one (God and the church) on the cross (see Ephesians 5:31-32). 

I think, therefore, that Rand will become one with two female channelers and slay the DO.  He will have to give up control, duty and hardness to do so, which is exactly what Callandor requires to be used and what love is.  The two are connected.  The process, I believe, will destroy the One Power. I believe the OP and the TP will cancel each other out, so to speak.  The process will kill Rand.  Helping Rand in this will be Alivia and Moiraine, I believe.  Alivia for the prophecies spoken about her helping Rand to die and Moiraine because of her prophecies and because she is the one Rand would trust most with Callandor

You're wrong about Rand trusting Moraine most.  He does trust Moraine but he trusts Nyneave the most and also Nyneave is far more powerful than Moraine. 

I also figured that Moiraine would learn something about defeating the DO from the Snakes and Foxes. 

I apologize if this has come up before, I only read the first three pages and then skipped to the end, but here are my thoughts on the matter (these aren't necessarily any theory per se, but mainly some ponderings and obvservations):

We know that Callandor needs a man and two woman to be used safely/effectively.

Llews Therin said in TGS that the Aes Sedai wanted to use the Choedan Kal, but he knew it wouldn't work - that it's not about raw power.  He also said they failed because there were no women - the men had to do it alone.  It's possible that he was able to taint Sai'din not because it merely touched him, but because it had no sai'dar to balance it out.  The two together he likely couldn't taint.

The True Power is only called the "True Power" by the Forsaken.  It is the Dark One's energy.  There may, conversely, be power that comes directly from the Light, but if so we haven't seen it yet.  This may in fact be sai'din and sai'dar, working together (think the whole two angels with one wing each flying together thing... to that end, the True Power may simply be sai'din and sai'dar together, which the creator separated to be used by humanity... although that is just a random thought, and I won't try real hard to defend it).

I don't know if this will have any relevance or not, but the first time they find the male a'dam, they mention that it is unique - that only one was made, and that for some reason there are two links and not just one.  The Seanchan made copies of it, but I am curious about the parallels there, as that a'dam has also been lingering around for a while.

The Dark One is going to be trying to unravel the pattern, so things might be really trippy at the last battle (just throwing that in there because it sort of just occurred to me... although if this goes all Neon Genesis Evangelion on me, I'm going to burn the book).

Was it ever established exactly what Callandor is made of?  I'm curious, because they talk about it being a crystal blade, but I don't remember them really saying "what" it was shaped from.  I'm curious because I seem to remember in book three, when Rand is battling Ishamael, Ishamael blasting balefire at him (which is curious considering his present viewpoint) and Callandor splitting the balefire in two to fall on either side of Rand.  I've seen nothing in the book since that has such a resiliency to balefire like that.

So anyway, these ideas don't really form a theory of what's going to happen, but are some interesting thoughts.  Personally, I agree with the thought of Egwene and one of the sul'dan's or damane (perhaps Alivia or whatever her name is, who is supposed to help Rand die) being the ones using the link with him.  As annoying as Egwene is and as much as she's changed, she is ultimately Rand's oldest and closest female friend - also one that he is NOT romantically involved with, which is likely for the best.  I think that Egwene might come around to be sensible about the whole thing, although she may need to vent some first and see that Rand really has changed (after his mountain top revelation)and actually "does" know what he's doing (or at least knows better then she does).

Was it ever established exactly what Callandor is made of?  I'm curious, because they talk about it being a crystal blade, but I don't remember them really saying "what" it was shaped from.  I'm curious because I seem to remember in book three, when Rand is battling Ishamael, Ishamael blasting balefire at him (which is curious considering his present viewpoint) and Callandor splitting the balefire in two to fall on either side of Rand.  I've seen nothing in the book since that has such a resiliency to balefire like that.

Callandor did not split the balefire, whatever Rand wove split the balefire.

Callandor did not split the balefire, whatever Rand wove split the balefire.

Ah, maybe that's so.  I'll have to double check that, it's been some time since I've read that part.  Either way, I don't see it as being all that crucial what it's made of, I was just curious.

You're wrong about Rand trusting Moraine most.  He does trust Moraine but he trusts Nyneave the most and also Nyneave is far more powerful than Moraine. 

Trust has been a defining issue across this whole series.  However, there is the other side of the equation too, who ever decides to link in a circle with Rand holding Callandor in his hands, has to want to be apart of this link. 

Nynaeve has specifically states she does not want to be in a Saidin linked circle again--that includes Rand al'Thor.  Meaning there is no way Nynaeve is going to be in the 'Three Shall Become One' prophecy, even if Rand trusts her enough to link again with her--which I believe he does.

Archived