DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blade of Light, Three Become One. (Full Spoilers).

Luckers

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is going to be Rand with Callandor in a circle with Avi and Elayne. Though it could just as easily be Moraine, Eggy, Alivia and/or Nynaeve.

Frick so many possibilities... My vote personally will be for:

Nynaeve and Moriane

I'll say this for certain, Cadsuane is not going to be in that circle, I think it has to be women Rand really does trust and even care about, Cadsuane is neither.

Its more likely about Callandor, and in that context, it probably means his girls - although we could have a joining of both sets of 3. Rand, Mat, Perrin, and Elayne, Min, Aviendha.

I personally don't like this idea of Callandor needing two women for proper use with one of the women having to guide the flows. Seems like a lame variant of political correctness at work.

My own theory involves the fact of the 'flaw' in Callandor, which might not really be a flaw.

My guess is this:

Callandor is a Sa'angreal not just for the Male half, but also for the TRUE power. The reason it magnified the Taint is because the Taint and the True Power were effectively identical to it.

I assume the Three Become One involves the three Powers:

Saidin.

Saidar.

The True Power.

Perhaps Rand has to use the True Power to restrain or hold back the Dark One, while using Saidin and Saidar both to seal the hole, via a link. Robert Jordan pretty much said, if I recall one interview correctly, that if just women did it then it would be Saidar that would have been tainted, and if both did, they both would have been.

So there needs to be something that keeps the Dark One from touching the Weave, thus the True Power comes into play. Via Rand's link with Moridin, he has access to the True Power most likely. So he can manage to use all three powers to push the Dark One back and repair the Bore like it never was with both the male and female powers.

i completely agree with NegaWalker. i actually just registered on dragonmount to say exactly the same thing on this forum. lol.

Via Rand's link with Moridin, he has access to the True Power most likely.

he has already seized the true power, thats how he broke free from the domination band and erased semirhage and elza. boom bitches! hehe. one of my favourite scenes from the series so far. :) . he also thinks at one point about the two immense powers he finds it hard to not use, ie, the choden kal and the TP.

please let me know if i have misquoted anything but it sounds right to me. :)

GothiKal

I thought the TP was the very esscense of the DO. There are side effects to channeling the TP. Brandon has said there would be consequences for Rand channeling the TP. Don't forget the saa are a precursor to the flaming eyes and mouth. The TP is a very bad thing.

the theory does make sense tho. i cant see any other 3 become 1 theory working as it sounds like the prophecy is talking about something that has a quantity of 3, such as channeled powers(saidin, saidar and TP).

also the saa could be the bit where rand is supposed to lose his sight. cant remember this bit of prophecy/whatever myself but i read it in another thread and thought i would mention it.  ;)

It's true that the TP has some crazy side effects, BUT- if its used to re-seal the Bore, then presumably the link to the DO would be broken and could potentially eliminate all the side effects. Who knows?

if rand dies (which seems inevitable) he wont be bothered by the side effects and if he is reborn he would probably be cured of them much as moridin is. :)

There's one thing I don't get. In book 8 Cadsuane says that Callandor is flawed, in that it amplifies the taint. So with saidin cleansed wouldn't Callandor be fine now? Why does the person using it need to be in a circle anymore? If someone could answer that i'd appreciate it.

the theory does make sense tho. i cant see any other 3 become 1 theory working as it sounds like the prophecy is talking about something that has a quantity of 3, such as channeled powers(saidin, saidar and TP).

also the saa could be the bit where rand is supposed to lose his sight. cant remember this bit of prophecy/whatever myself but i read it in another thread and thought i would mention it.  ;)

The Blind Beggar prophecy has been fullfilled already in Veins of Gold.

There's one thing I don't get. In book 8 Cadsuane says that Callandor is flawed, in that it amplifies the taint. So with saidin cleansed wouldn't Callandor be fine now? Why does the person using it need to be in a circle anymore? If someone could answer that i'd appreciate it.

i think it has something to do with being able to draw too much saidin and sever yourself from the source?

Perhaps Rand has to use the True Power to restrain or hold back the Dark One, while using Saidin and Saidar both to seal the hole, via a link. Robert Jordan pretty much said, if I recall one interview correctly, that if just women did it then it would be Saidar that would have been tainted, and if both did, they both would have been.

So there needs to be something that keeps the Dark One from touching the Weave, thus the True Power comes into play. Via Rand's link with Moridin, he has access to the True Power most likely. So he can manage to use all three powers to push the Dark One back and repair the Bore like it never was with both the male and female powers.

Right. Because the DO is dumb enough not to cut everyone off from the TP once he realizes it's being used against him. He'll just let people continue to channel his essence back at him.

Makes perfect sense. Kinda like how Sauron up and tossed the One Ring into mount doom himself.

I mean, the way some things have gone in this series, it's certainly possible (and that way no good guys die! yaaaay!), but I think that would be one heck of a lame way to do it. Considering the way everything has been going, I see that as "too easy."

I think this refers to Rand, Mat and Perrin, and Min's viewing of the sparkles of light. Not sure how that happens yet, but working on a theory.

My own theory involves the fact of the 'flaw' in Callandor, which might not really be a flaw.

My guess is this:

Callandor is a Sa'angreal not just for the Male half, but also for the TRUE power. The reason it magnified the Taint is because the Taint and the True Power were effectively identical to it.

I assume the Three Become One involves the three Powers:

Saidin.

Saidar.

The True Power.

As new a this thread is and as much as I know i've discussed it elsewhere, I am loving how together with NegaWalker and Chance's quote I get a chance to expound on those and mix them with my own.  

"He shall hold a blade of light in his hands and the three will become one."

Thats the quote, now here's the theory.  I think this quote is exactly as Min states in the book, LOTS OF HIDDEN MEANING!  The big question which I believe I have the right of (as always only IMO) is who will be the two women, and who will lead the flows.  My answer is part of the many 3's that will need to become one in this Final Battle.  The ones to wield Callandor will be Rand(Dragon Reborn and leader of the "free world"), Egwene(leader of the White Tower), and the often forgotten trained sul'dam, Fortuona(Seanchan Empress) who will lead the flows, fulfilling the prophecy of Rand kneeling to the thrown in more of a matter of trust not deferrence because though Egwene knows lots of weaves, it is mad true that Seanchan know the best fighting weaves.  There is nothing saying it has to be the most powerful just the best candidates.  The three superpowers of the world will be united as one in this act.

Now for some more 3's that have to happen to make the Callandor 3 unite.  There are two more sets that are mentioned in the quotes above and this is who I percieve they will work.

Ta'varen 3: Rand, Mat, Perrin.  Min says the black void swallowing the lights vision she has is stronger with more ligth when any of the 3 are close to each other.  So Mat's marriage to Fortuona, backed by Tylee's account and respect and backing of Perrin will sway the empress to agree to the alliance as long as she is weaving!

Aviendha, Elayne, and Min as a 3 will be the ones to convince the Amyrilin, Egwene to stop being pissed off for a sec and coordinate with rand as well.  Min will do it by explaining the void and lights vision as well as the prophecy, and Egwene's respect for wise one's will give Aviendha double clout as the are best friends too, and Elayne being her best friend and most trusted since the tower training days will give her clout on swaying Egwene.  

So all in all, ALL OF THE 3's MUST BECOME ONE.  Mat leading men from the right, Perrin leading wolves from the rear, Tylee and Seanchan forces attacking from the right and The united channelers and Warders led by Nynaeve and Lan going down head first into the fray all surrounding the shadow forces while the 3 super power callandor group is takin care of the Dark One himself while all the super channelers both male and female hold off/destroy the remaining forsaken!

This is my theory of this prophecy which is really one of the most important prophecies of them all.  Thanks for reading this if you did and let me know your thoughts cuz it was fun to finally write this revised version of my original theory on this prophecy with the insight of the two quotes I highlighted here from NegaWalker and Chance.

BTW the reason I don't adress the 3 powers is not because I disagree, tottaly opposite in fact but it is stated perfectly above and yes I include this as a 3 that must be one!

egwene will never trust a seanchan.

oh and RJ said that no matter which part or both of the one power are used against the DO it will be tainted. so how do they beat him without the TP????

I don't believe that's what he said.

IIRC, he said that there were very specific circumstances that allowed him to taint saidin. ie, it is not something that he could do at will. Had the females gone with Lews Therin, saidar would have been tainted, but that will not necessarily be the case for Rand and co.

Q: Is there a reason the Dark One could not or would not retaint saidin?

RJ: The conditions would have to be exactly right. Those conditions were set up while the seals were being placed on the Bore. The chances that exactly those conditions would occur again are fairly small. And that is saying that it was a volitional act rather than a side-effect of trying to stop the seals from being placed. After all, if the Dark One could taint saidin at will, why could he not taint saidar as well, and why would he not have done so?

So, we don't really know whether or not the DO will be able to taint the OP again if it is used against him. The fact that it was done once does not mean it can be done time and time again, especially with Rand (possibly) aware of his mistake.

So what are the three? I'm not sure, but I can't see it being the three powers. Or, at least, not the three powers being used to seal the DO. Nobody knows exactly what the "three becomes one" nor the "blade of light" will even be used for, let alone that they are referencing the same thing....

"He shall hold a blade of light in his hands and the three will become one."

my first interpretation for "the three become one" is the state of Rand, Elayne and Aviendha making a circle & using Callandor.

and it still seem the most reasonable interpretation for this prophecy

Each of them share a bond with the other two, we already know that the ppl within any circle can know the feelings of the others connected to, and this will definitly be magnified by the bonds they share, iamgine with the extra power flowing through them while using Callandor, it will be like 10 folds magnified

i like NegaWalker theory -never occured to me- but i still go with my first interpretation

In reply to WolfDragonFox's theory I have some problems,

1. Tuon does not even know how to embrace the source yet.

2. The Seanchan may know very powerful attacking weaves (we know from Alivia that they don't know much else when using saidar), but if we are aiming towards sealing the bore then that is healing, not attacking. So surely the best candidate for that would be Nynaeve.

On another note, I like the fact that you have included Egwene in the circle of 3, and more importantly how Rand has, possibly, 3 of the most influential women (towards Egwene) as his lovers.

Furthermore Lews Therin says that the reason Saidin was tainted was because it touched the DO (I don't have the quote on me at the moment, but it happens as Rand returns from the blight after dropping Ituralde off there). So if they go up against the DO, after clearing the seals, they will have to touch him with some power. The only one he can't taint is the TP, so that will be used to force him back while Saidar and Saidin are used to seal the bore.

However this post is about the 3 become 1 topic so I am digressing.

I had already thought of this but didn't actually touch on it so thanks for pointing this out.  My thoughts on this would be that it is going to be much like a'dam using but I see what you mean as far as her linking with Rand and Egwene by not being able to embrace so I will just say the easiest answer is she will learn prolly from miss outburst herself Nynaeve...lol

In address to healing being what sealing the bore equates to, i say we can just agree to disagree but I believe Nynaeve has already had her turn joining with Rand when they cleansed Saidin, so letting her do it again doesn't seem like good storytelling to me.  Remember now that Egwene is the queen of cuendillar and all things earth and item making related so she is DEF on of the 3.  I say it has to be Tuon so that the world can see the 3 supreme powers represented as 1 and they will start owning the forces of Dark when they see this.  I am a filmmaker like I have told others before i many threads and it tends to make me think in terms of what would be the most inspiring or fantastic thing on screen, much like i'm sure novel writers do when thinking of scenes in books.  Actually it is what I do when writing scripts so just some insight into my way of thinking.  I find that this trio would be compelling in a grand scene on film so it is how I would write it.  Thanks for the critique tho and I hope I cleared my side up a little, any other disputed in my theory please list them so I can explain or change some things if it makes a bunch of sense...COLLABORATION IS KEY!

Until a new crazy theory occurs to me, i'm going to hold to my current - three Ta'veren becoming one theory and that Callandor will amplify their twisting of the pattern. I don't think The One Power will be able to seal The Dark One away or as Rand still intends -- kill The Dark One.

One of my theories too is this: That the DO can't STOP the Dragon from wielding the True Power. Possibly by the baelfire link with Moridin, possibly because he is the Dragon. I mean, he's always been able to see the Black Cords. Being able to see something usually means you have the ability to access/use it when it comes to the powers. Certainly it is a terrible thing to use the True Power, but I'd guess that the Dragon using it must be for that point.

And yes, Callandor should be fine now because there is no Taint anymore. The flaw is no longer a worry. So there must be something more to the Flaw.

It isn't so much as the DO defeating himself or Sauron throwing the ring into mount doom himself, but rather the DO cannot stop the Dragon from drawing on it. Or if he can, that will be part of the struggle, Rand forcing the True Power from the Dark One to use back on him.

We'll find out in two books and it is all just a theory. It is but one possibility of what might happen.

As it is, the theories of three ta'veron working together and all the rest apply just as well. We'll find out. But for now, they are all very valid theories.

I had already thought of this but didn't actually touch on it so thanks for pointing this out.  My thoughts on this would be that it is going to be much like a'dam using but I see what you mean as far as her linking with Rand and Egwene by not being able to embrace so I will just say the easiest answer is she will learn prolly from miss outburst herself Nynaeve...lol

I'm sorry, but I think the idea of Tuon being the third person is, well, crazy. Sorry. Read Tuon's frequent POVs about channelling, like this one for example from KoD:

"I am nothing like these women, Toy. Nothing like them. Perhaps I could learn, but I choose not to, just as I choose not to steal or commit murder. That makes all the difference."

Or this from TGS:

"Her presence made Tuon shiver. One would think she'd have grown more accustomed to marath'damane,after traveling with Matrim. But not so. They were unnatural. Dangerous. Tuon could no more grow comfortable around an unleashed damane than she could tolerate having a grassfang twisted around her ankle, its tongue tickling her skin."

This doesn't sound like someone who will learn to channel herself. I'm not knocking the idea of Rand and two women, and one of them will probably be Nyn, but never in a million years will Tuon be the other (IMHO). Alivia is a possibility. I know a lot of people reckon Elayne and Avi, but I reckon Elayne will be about to pop her babies around the time of the LB and her chanelling ability is all messed up because of her pregnancy, so I really don't see it being her. Avi is a possibility though.

I also like the idea of Mat, Perrin and Rand as the Three becoming One. It's possible too.

Archived