DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blade of Light, Three Become One. (Full Spoilers).

Luckers

Matt, Perrin and Rand

It's constantly been reiterated that they're bonded together, and more than once in the books it's been said that "if you knock out one leg of the tripod, all will fall down", hinting at the fact they are definitely connected

Blade of light might be referring to them being together and their ta veren powers twisting the pattern to correct it

I agree, and I really hope this is the case. If winning Tarmon Gai'don is dependent upon Rand being used like a slave by two women, with one of them (likely Egwene, if the story is really headed this way) being the one to "save the world" with her weaving, then I plan on having a bonfire with my books. It  makes more sense for it to be something unexpected - something that the Aes Sedai aren't able to control - and having "the three become one" being Rand, Mat, and Perrin rather than Rand and two women who want him leashed fits that bill.

What I'd really like to see is a Rand/Mat/Perrin combo "fixing" the Pattern with their mere presence, with the trick being to survive until the Pattern has mended itself. Rand's ability to use the True Power (which stems from his connection to Moridin, I believe) could come in handy once the seals are broken. He could use it to keep the Dark One contained while the Pattern uses his, Mat's, and Perrin's ta'veren presences to Heal itself.

That said, I'm willing to bet that all the people who think Egwene will be the one to lead a circle of another Aes Sedai and Rand (using him like a leashed dog while he's bleeding all over the place) are the correct ones. She is being made into the hero of the story and Rand is just a tool for her to use. Blech.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that occurred to me about this that I have not seen discussed revolves around Cadsuane's comment that Callandor must be wielded by two women and one man with one of the women leading.  I believe that she is wrong; she was able to say it because she believed it to be true, but that does not make it so.

The way I understand linking, angreal and most sa'angreal is that a buffer to prevent the person drawing too much of the power is an integral part of the equation, Callandor lacks this buffer and so is not safe to use without adding it in through linking, and the person holding Callandor cannot lead the circle because that prevents the link from creating a buffer.  This leads me to believe that a circle of two men and one woman could safely allow a man to lead the circle, just not the man holding Callandor.  I am pretty sure that Cadsuane did not consider this possibility simply because it would seem even more awkward than simply having a woman lead a circle containing men.  This allows a Rand to lead a circle consisting of himself, Alivia and Narishima.  We can be fairly certain that Alivia is tied to Tarmon Gai'don because of Min's viewing: "She will help [Rand] die."  While Narishima is tied to Callandor from the "He will follow after." prophecy.

Except there has to be one more female than the amount of men in the circle.

I doubt whether the DO will just sit idly by while the TP is being used against him.

As for Callandor, and the prophecy about the one who draws it out shall follow after, I think people are taking it too figuratively. It could mean that Narishma literally follows Rand, and uses Callandor somehow to help him, without a circle.

I doubt whether the DO will just sit idly by while the TP is being used against him.

As for Callandor, and the prophecy about the one who draws it out shall follow after, I think people are taking it too figuratively. It could mean that Narishma literally follows Rand, and uses Callandor somehow to help him, without a circle.

Why does there need to be one more woman than man, as long as the man leading the circle is not holding Callandor there should not be a problem, and two men and one woman can link. If you put channelers in a line as long as you have between 1 and 13 women between each man (up to some maximum number I don't remember) the circle can form.

I saw a post about Avi, Elayne & Min being referred to as the three become one & become Illaya, I've been thinking...if Illaya does make an appearance so Rand would become LTT for a time and together they would seal the bore since they have the knowledge and know what to do...

but for the use of Callendor would Illaya be classed as two woman or just one?...would they need someone else......

What ever the answer the the three becoming one prophecy, I think it's Mins job to find the answer since she is the one looking in to it.

Why does there need to be one more woman than man, as long as the man leading the circle is not holding Callandor there should not be a problem, and two men and one woman can link. If you put channelers in a line as long as you have between 1 and 13 women between each man (up to some maximum number I don't remember) the circle can form.

I think it's to do with Saidin being more powerful than Saidar hence the destuction of the female Caodan kal.

There's no way the 3 girls will become Illyena. In regards to Rand/LTT, LTT was in his head, in this instance all 3 girls are alive and are fairly focal characters. AND It's much too far along in the series without any hint of foreshadowing to be able to pull it off effectively. In addition, having both Rand/LTT and the girls merge would be a bit uncreative from somebody like RJ/BS.

There's no way the 3 girls will become Illyena. In regards to Rand/LTT, LTT was in his head, in this instance all 3 girls are alive and are fairly focal characters. AND It's much too far along in the series without any hint of foreshadowing to be able to pull it off effectively. In addition, having both Rand/LTT and the girls merge would be a bit uncreative from somebody like RJ/BS.

some where in this thread someone posted that Illaya's Soul may have been split in three and spun back into the pattern as AVI, Elayne and Min...

it's an interesting theory...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a huuuuge leap of fate but.. is it possible that this theory was already fulfilled?  in eotw, rand uses a Blade Of Light to sever (somewhat) ishmael's "threads"  he wielded a "blade of light"

rand in the Eye finds the dragon Banner, the Horn, and the first broken seal. in one place? idk?

that or, rand will use his "blade of light" and mat, perrin and rand will be reunified. three becoming one.

whacha say?

I think the only explanation that seems plausible is Rand/Mat/Perrin's ta veren'ness working to bend the pattern. After all Min's viewing seemed to imply this, about Rand/Perrin and the fireflies, and how they seemed to be holding their own when they were together. Add Mat to the mix and they're be doing even better.

This prophecy has already been fufilled!!! that or rand CAN NOT fufil it anymore. he shall hold the blade of light in his handS and the three will become one. Rand fufilled this in book one as i mentioned earlier! it is impossible to fufil now because i think rand lost his hand. so BAM

This prophecy has already been fufilled!!! that or rand CAN NOT fufil it anymore. he shall hold the blade of light in his handS and the three will become one. Rand fufilled this in book one as i mentioned earlier! it is impossible to fufil now because i think rand lost his hand. so BAM

No. Sorry, but no.

Callandor (sp?) will be the blade of light. My guess is that the 3 becoming one will be the TP, saidar, and saidin. Thus Rand, Alivia (who is supposed to help him die, which Rand will probably do while defeating the dark one), and Moridin (for the TP, and Rand will be able to link with him through their balefire link) will be in the circle. This was already mentioned on the first page, minus the Moridin part, but it seems like (IMO) the only logical explanation.

To me, this is the only problem with the body swap theory, I don't know where the 3 becoming one thing comes in. Perhaps they will be in the circle and the link combined with the balefire link will cause the swap? Not sure... RAFO, i guess. xD

Rand, Mat, and Perrin cannot "become one," cause that would be kinda awkward, and the 3 powers seems much more likely.

No. Sorry, but no.

Callandor (sp?) will be the blade of light. My guess is that the 3 becoming one will be the TP, saidar, and saidin. Thus Rand, Alivia (who is supposed to help him die, which Rand will probably do while defeating the dark one), and Moridin (for the TP, and Rand will be able to link with him through their balefire link) will be in the circle. This was already mentioned on the first page, minus the Moridin part, but it seems like (IMO) the only logical explanation.

To me, this is the only problem with the body swap theory, I don't know where the 3 becoming one thing comes in. Perhaps they will be in the circle and the link combined with the balefire link will cause the swap? Not sure... RAFO, i guess. xD

Rand, Mat, and Perrin cannot "become one," cause that would be kinda awkward, and the 3 powers seems much more likely.

I agree with you (imBored) in that it has not been fulfilled, but it seems somewhat odd that Sanderson/Jordan would point out the obvious that the blade of light is Callandor so I am inclined to believe that it is possibly something else.  I also (more so) don't see Sanderson/Jordan introducing a prophecy that has already been fulfilled so I would be incredibly disappointed if it turned out that Rand fulfilled it in book one.

Personally I cannot think of a better "blade of light" than Callandor, so I am inclined to go with it meaning that the fight in the Pit of Doom will be Rand, Alivia and Narishima.

Here's a theory I haven't seen before (not to say I haven't just missed it though) - but how about this - Rand somehow gets into a position with Moridin, where using Callandor he manages to overwhelm him, and put the Dominion/Domination? band (male a'dam) around Moridins neck? I'm not sure he can use it himself, so perhaps a version of it where a male can control a male using the collar, or he gives control to a female channeler? He thereby gains control of not only Moridin, but along with it his access to the True Power, and his control via the Cour'souvra/Mindtrap of Cyndane and Moghedien. Blade of Light, and a double three become one - Moridin, Cyndane and Moghedien become one tool to be used, and also the three powers become one in a single link - True Power and Saidin through Moridin (maybe Saidin through Rand, depending how it happens) , and Saidar through the ladies. Just came to me just now so I havent really thought it through properly - anyone got any thoughts on this theory?

Oh yes.. the very power that pushes the Wheel of Time, the very fabric of existance, becoming one with the Dark One whos entire goal is of pure chaos and a complete destruction of reality and existance.

That's not awkward at all.

Not to mention that Rand/Mat/Perrin OBVIOUSLY won't merge into one person.

The 3 powers theory seems to be wayyyyyyy too easy.

AND the constant reiteration of Mat/Perrin/Rand being a tripod by the forsaken, PLUS Min's viewing about them and the fireflies....

The problem is that Rand/Mat/Perrin using their ta'veren power to bend the pattern and fight the dark one (not sure what the exact theory is there) doesn't involve the blade of light. Even if Rand is wielding callandor at that time, just saidin cannot defeat the DO (as proven by LTT). While Rand could be in a circle and have Mat and Perrin with him to do their ta'veren thing, I'm still going to put my bet on the 3 powers. Also, Rand/Mat/Perrin ta'verenatizing the DO doesn't really imply three becoming one... despite that fact that their "ta'veren powers" (couldn't think of a better way to say it) are combining  into one. I believe that the three becoming one part of the prophecy implies three seperate things becoming one, and ta'veren nature is not really distinguishable between people as far as we know from the books, besides the fact that some people are stronger ta'veren than others.

Finally, if the 3 powers becoming one seems like a "too perfect" theory, does that disregard it as being a possible correct one? If Rand, Mat, and Perrin use their ta'veren natures to defeat the DO and the 3 powers aren't involved at all, heck I'll post an apology for the fact that my theory was wrong and that I should have guessed better.  :P But honestly, I didn't mean to start a big argument over which theory is correct, seeming as we won't know until one and a half years from now at the earliest who is right. I just stated my opinion, said that I thought Rand, Mat, and Perrin becoming one would be awkward (half sarcastically since I know that they wouldn't fuse together or anything) and went on with my day. Sorry for starting a huge flame war over whether or not you/I/him/her/thatrandompersonthatsometimespissesyouoffbecausetheydon'tputspacesbetweenwords was right or wrong.

The problem is that Rand/Mat/Perrin using their ta'veren power to bend the pattern and fight the dark one (not sure what the exact theory is there) doesn't involve the blade of light. Even if Rand is wielding callandor at that time, just saidin cannot defeat the DO (as proven by LTT). While Rand could be in a circle and have Mat and Perrin with him to do their ta'veren thing, I'm still going to put my bet on the 3 powers. Also, Rand/Mat/Perrin ta'verenatizing the DO doesn't really imply three becoming one... despite that fact that their "ta'veren powers" (couldn't think of a better way to say it) are combining  into one. I believe that the three becoming one part of the prophecy implies three seperate things becoming one, and ta'veren nature is not really distinguishable between people as far as we know from the books, besides the fact that some people are stronger ta'veren than others.

Finally, if the 3 powers becoming one seems like a "too perfect" theory, does that disregard it as being a possible correct one? If Rand, Mat, and Perrin use their ta'veren natures to defeat the DO and the 3 powers aren't involved at all, heck I'll post an apology for the fact that my theory was wrong and that I should have guessed better.  :P But honestly, I didn't mean to start a big argument over which theory is correct, seeming as we won't know until one and a half years from now at the earliest who is right. I just stated my opinion, said that I thought Rand, Mat, and Perrin becoming one would be awkward (half sarcastically since I know that they wouldn't fuse together or anything) and went on with my day. Sorry for starting a huge flame war over whether or not you/I/him/her/thatrandompersonthatsometimespissesyouoffbecausetheydon'tputspacesbetweenwords was right or wrong.

It doesn't seem like a too perfect theory, it seems like a theory that goes against the very nature of the goal their trying to achieve. You can't use the Dark One to stop the Dark One. The TP is insanely addictive and dangerous, it's only possible role involving Rand could be as a lever with which to try and turn him to the dark. As I've said it before, trying to use the TP in closing the bore would be like handing a thief the key to the house before you lock up.

I don't think it's the Rand/Mat/Perrin idea, but the TP is the essense of the Dark One, and thus NOT a tool to be used in any way for good. I personally think this is one of the prophecies that's going to manage to blindside us.

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking along similar lines recently, but have been unable to find a thread pertaining to this particular topic.  In tSR, Lanfear refers to "two more powerful (than callandor) that a man can use."  This might be a stretch, but what if Justice is the other sa'angreal?  It's logical that Rand would not have used it in tGS, he had the CK. 

Re: the original post.  I think when Rand was threatening that the Pattern would bend to his will, he was holding the TP and knew no one could detect it.  This is why some could see a "darkness" around him.  Also, iirc, the first trip to Rhuidean involves the "future rings" which led Avienda to hate Rand so much.  The second trip for a wise one is to go through the crystal columns that show the past.

I have been thinking along similar lines recently, but have been unable to find a thread pertaining to this particular topic.  In tSR, Lanfear refers to "two more powerful (than callandor) that a man can use."  This might be a stretch, but what if Justice is the other sa'angreal?  It's logical that Rand would not have used it in tGS, he had the CK. 

One of the oddities of Callandor is that no other angreal or sa'angreal were made out of (or in the form of) weapons.  Justice is obviously a weapon. 

"A crystal sword with a curved blade, it is the only sa'angreal known to be made in the form of a weapon." <RJWoT: 4, 44, The Fall into Shadow>

Archived